Rory, "If I didn’t win another Major for the rest of my career, nothing is going to change in my lif

bscinstnct

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/23688117/us-open-2018-rory-mcilroy-heads-shinnecock-practice-ahead-second-major

was there 2 weeks early....played some other courses....but rented a house there to practice at Shinnecock and other courses to get used to the wind/weather..ect...sounds ok to me

Why didn't he go 3 weeks early? Probably because he didn't want it enough

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

http://www.espn.com/...ad-second-major

was there 2 weeks early....played some other courses....but rented a house there to practice at Shinnecock and other courses to get used to the wind/weather..ect...sounds ok to me

yea....I think a month would have shown that....lol

It just sums up what his mindset is. He's ok with not winning and have said it numerous times in the past. Folks here need to accept that.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

yea....I think a month would have sown that....lol

Should have missed the Masters and come 3 months early. Clearly no dedication.

yea....I think a month would have sown that....lol

Should have missed the Masters and come 3 months early. Clearly no dedication.

might as well since he didn't win it this year.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Glad we got the obligatory "he can only win on sopping wet courses" comment worked into the thread.

I'm only a "he works out way too much" away from my Crazy Things People Say About Rory BINGO.

Glad we got the obligatory "he can only win on sopping wet courses" comment worked into the thread.

I'm only a "he works out way too much" away from my Crazy Things People Say About Rory BINGO.

Ill add that he shouldnt have played up on PHil and Rickie at the PGA too! may as well while im at it ... Phil had a legitimate chance to tie or win if Rory misses a putt. Yet Rory was handed it since "its getting dark".... on a soft course..with no wind...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I thought it was a boss move by rory….as ricky and phil were fist bumping all day, rory said it was not a good look because in competition you should be wanting to kick someones a**, no high five them...phil knew he wasn't wining

lol. shhhhhhhh. That doesn't at all fit the narrative that Rory's soft and gives up before the tournament even starts.

Keep in mind it took FIGJAM a dozen years on tour before he figured out how to win majors and Rickie is, um, still working on it.

But yeah, Rory must have won that PGA because the course was soft. Not the tiniest bit of killer instinct in the lad, lol.

Where's the Phil thread about all of his wasted potential? With his talent level you'd think he'd have won at least six US Opens by now, right? Must be a quitter. A head case. No doubt his parents are highly disappointed.

Uh phil has 43 wins and 5 majors. And played against the goat. Ain’t here to defend phil but he at least didn’t bail cuz of a toothache.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

When Phil was Rory's age he was five years away from winning a major and had a reputation for never showing up in the big tournaments and only winning cupcake events like Phoenix or the Bob Hope or that Stableford one they used to have in Colorado. Heck, it was regarded as his big break through when he won a freakin Tour Championship, at the ripe old age of 30, after eight years on tour. That's what was considered his first big win--I remember the fawning press coverage well.

No doubt if golfwrx was around back then there would've been all sorts of threads about how mentally weak he was. And Phil turned out okay last I checked. Look up what Rory's done in his first eight years on tour. I think he'll turn out okay too.

I thought it was a boss move by rory….as ricky and phil were fist bumping all day, rory said it was not a good look because in competition you should be wanting to kick someones a**, no high five them...phil knew he wasn't wining

It wasn’t a boss move by Rory. It was a unfair move by the officials. Rory had no say so , or at least didn’t exercise the say so he had which was to say no. It’s not the right thing to do. Phil almost holed the eagle pitch by the way. So no way to say “ phil wasn’t winning and he knew it “. He literally was an inch away and that’s after being rushed. Had he had the full time he may have hit the approach closer. Who knows. But hey. We roll others aside for Rors... nobody without bias can in goood conscious say that was a fair move for alll. It was only good for Rory and for the tournament getting finished. It was done at the expense of the remaining competitors. Pretty easy to see.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

When Phil was Rory's age he was five years away from winning a major and had a reputation for never showing up in the big tournaments and only winning cupcake events like Phoenix or the Bob Hope or that Stableford one they used to have in Colorado. Heck, it was regarded as his big break through when he won a freakin Tour Championship, at the ripe old age of 30, after eight years on tour. That's what was considered his first big win--I remember the fawning press coverage well.

No doubt if golfwrx was around back then there would've been all sorts of threads about how mentally weak he was. And Phil turned out okay last I checked. Look up what Rory's done in his first eight years on tour. I think he'll turn out okay too.

Lets not rewrite history here. He won the 1996 world series of golf which was a WGC before those started and when he won the tour championship in 2000 he chased down Tiger on sunday and overtook him. He beat tiger in the year 2000 twice down the stretch. the fawning was justifiable because one guy won 3 majors and 9 times overall and phil won 4 times so taking down tiger on sunday was a big deal. thats the difference. When Phil got out of his own way and Tigers unmaintanable level dropped amid a swing change he took off in majors. Phil is 1000 times more resilient than Rory ever will be. As for how Phil would be treated we already know. he was a punching bag for the media until he won the big ones. Dan Jenkins openly mocked him many times.

Statements like Rory made are typically stated publicly for two reasons;

1. The pressure of winning tournaments is getting to him and he's using the statement to relieve some of that pressure by lowering the expectations of the golf media, fans and possibly himself.
  2. He means it, he's content financially and personally so the need to win tournaments is no longer the most important goal in his life. I've never seen the fire in Rory like I saw it in Tiger or that Reed demonstrates. He's a great golfer and obviously driven to reach the level he has but he doesn't seem to have that edge to him can help carry him to be the best.

I've always encouraged my kids to make decisions to minimize future regrets. I'm sure Rory's parents are very proud of the man and golfer he's become but when he's 60 will Rory lament what could have been if his career doesn't live up to the potential he and others believe he has?

we agree completely .. that sums up my opinion to a T... Unless you have regrets you dont know how that works... and I do.. Theres no way when hes old and unable to play that he wont regret not pushing to see what he could do .. Hes a newly wed.... He isnt going to enjoy listening to her talk for ever.. I say that as a man who would give his last breath gladly , to save his wife of 17 years....Its easy to be "satisfied" when youre young and think you know it all.. The older you get the more you can see what youve wasted . Its all about balance.. And i think hes tipped too far toward the "honey do" side of things .

I know i know..ramble ramble ramble.... Ill shut up now

I agree, the difference between the successful and really successful is the really successful never allow themselves to feel content or lose focus of their goals. Rory is going to find out the hard way it's difficult to divide his time to sufficiently maintain his golf game to a high level, his marriage and his outside obligations, seems golf is taking a back seat right now. Fortunately he's young and if he refocuses his efforts he could dominate the Tour for a few years.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

This is exactly why there is way too much money in golf. When you are making $30M / year before you even hit one tee shot, then of course you start thinking about buying a Francis Bacon painting and saving whales. But the silly money in golf is another subject.

Since Rory has stated on more than one occasion that he's not into the Tiger grind to win majors, then why do the media keep on asking? Oh well, Rory doesn't owe us the dedication if he is not into it. Too bad. Rory sure can hit the ball like a major winner with not a ton of tune up, but he does not putt like a major champion except during "one of those weeks". So catching fire with the putter in a major week is a roll of the dice; I'm not holding my breath.

The money has nothing to do with it imho. There are too many players in golf and other ventures that have made the big money for years but do not lose the drive to excel. Got that matter I'm not sure that's really what Rory is saying anyways. He is still working his rear off to be as good as he can be. B but he has not learned the balance between life and sport.

Why should Rory get slammed but Jack always got praised for putting family first?

Jack finished outside the top-10 5 times in majors during the entire 1970's that's why people aren't harping on jack.

Not really pertinent to the topic but Jack's major results in the 1970s were just insane. Another mind-boggling Jack stat is that he finished in the top 5 or better in the British Open for 15 straight years (1966-1980).

I can certainly understand Rory saying and feeling this way IF he were about to retire.. I do not get it if you intend to compete.... I cant understand entering a competition with no intention of competing ??Why play? just to collect the $ ??? That irritates me ... there are players who play for the cash sure.. the also rans make a good living.. BUT the greats are supposed to want to beat you , especially after they have his level coin.. You think tiger has ever teed it up for 15th place checks??? F-no! Dissapointing to see that much talent wasted
Not to pick on your post Blade but I think a lot of you are reading into his comments a whole lot more than he said. Where does he say he does not intend to compete? He says he wants to get into contention and see how he fares. He never says he does not care. he says there are things more important in life than golf. “My goal this year wasn’t to win Majors,” he confesses. “It was just to give myself a chance and to put myself in positions to see how I’d fare.”
im just going off his actions for that .. It just seems that he doesnt try unless every single thing goes his way..I mean to miss the cut in the Irish open hes sponsoring 2 years running is pretty poor.. it wasnt as if the cut was -9.... He will hit a spurt like Bay Hill when every single thing falls for him and all of the sudden you see some want to .... But it dies as soon as he gets to the next round.. You just dont see any try on his face unless its easy. The exact opposite is Spieth... He talks to himself so much people are annoyed . you get 18 holes of TRY from him every single round
i have to agree with you here. Spieth and Rory are 2 different ends of the spectrums. Spieth wears his heart on his sleeve sure but you always have this feeling no matter how bad hes hitting it he never thinks hes out of it. Hes won and contended a bunch without his best stuff. Rory as you said gets very pouty if everything is not going his way and basically mails it in. You can dig up quotes form 2011-2012-2013 where he constantly says i dont want to have fame like tiger... It was a dumb concern to have because he was never going to be as big as tiger not even a third of that. hes not even as big as Phil for that matter. He was always saying these things but people werent paying attention because he was still winning majors. now that its been 4 years since his last one the question about his desires and motivations will be justifiably asked.Its his life and he'll do as he pleases but i have a feeling he'll look back when he reaches 40 and think how much he left on the table. His last caddie had it right when looked at him and said "snap out of it. Youre Rory freakin Mcilroy" shortly after that he canned him... says alot about him and his character

That's a good point. The player/caddie symbiosis is a tricky thing. Rory strikes me as the kind of guy who needs a caddie who will get in his face and demand his best. Right now he has his pal on the bag who seems like a pretty laid-back kid, the kind he can push around. I think McIlroy should dump the kid and hire Bones or another veteran caddie who will give him a good kick in the arse when he needs it.

When the caddie gets in his face, Rors be like:

Holy crap Ferg that was good ! Caption reads - “ sit on it Malph”!

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It wasn't a boss move by Rory. It was a unfair move by the officials. Rory had no say so , or at least didn't exercise the say so he had which was to say no. It's not the right thing to do. Phil almost holed the eagle pitch by the way. So no way to say " phil wasn't winning and he knew it ". He literally was an inch away and that's after being rushed. Had he had the full time he may have hit the approach closer. Who knows. But hey. We roll others aside for Rors... nobody without bias can in goood conscious say that was a fair move for alll. It was only good for Rory and for the tournament getting finished. It was done at the expense of the remaining competitors. Pretty easy to see.

That's a little extreme to me and I like Phil...a lot. He just wasn't winning that tournament and it was the right thing to do for a MAJOR. Rory asked and nothing in the rules prevented it or else the officials would have not allowed it. . A huge weather delay condensed tee times and it was the only decision to make....Phil was a good guy about if we want to apply certain logic we see above, we could also say Phil was not ultra competitive, he could have said no and made Rory wait a day to play 18 "if he really wanted it"...Rory almost put his drive in the water, played to a bunker and still won with a par on 18........just a different angle depending what your bias is I guess....in my opinion, I think Rory displayed a lot of competitiveness there.....more than others who were high fiving each other all day. Michelsons bogey on 16 sealed his fate for the most part while ricky faltered earlier and when Rory birdied 17 for a 2 shot lead, it was basically over right there.

Lets not rewrite history here. He won the 1996 world series of golf which was a WGC before those started and when he won the tour championship in 2000 he chased down Tiger on sunday and overtook him. He beat tiger in the year 2000 twice down the stretch. the fawning was justifiable because one guy won 3 majors and 9 times overall and phil won 4 times so taking down tiger on sunday was a big deal. thats the difference. When Phil got out of his own way and Tigers unmaintanable level dropped amid a swing change he took off in majors. Phil is 1000 times more resilient than Rory ever will be. As for how Phil would be treated we already know. he was a punching bag for the media until he won the big ones. Dan Jenkins openly mocked him many times.

That's my point. A lot of what people say about Rory on here reminds me of what the media said about Phil in the nascent-internet days. You know, a kind of goofy guy prone to saying dumb things, someone whose mental weakness prevents them from realizing the full extent of their unbelievable talent. Of course Phil used to get crap for being out of shape while Rory gets crap for working out too much, and Phil could only win on easy courses while it's soft courses for Rory.

BUT.

By age 29 Rory has won four majors, a bunch of money titles, a few scoring titles, and so on. By age 29 Phil had won the World Series of Golf.

I really don't see how I'm rewriting history about that. At the time the World Series of Golf win was seen as an aberration in his career (it was also the year before TW turned pro). It wasn't until four years later when he won the Tour Championship over TW that they started writing the 'Phil has arrived and has learned how to win the big ones' articles (again, keep in mind at that point he was a year older than Rory currently is). And then it took Phil another four years to win a major.

That's my point. A lot of what people say about Rory on here reminds me of what the media said about Phil in the nascent-internet days. You know, a kind of goofy guy prone to saying dumb things, someone whose mental weakness prevents them from realizing the full extent of their unbelievable talent. Of course Phil used to get crap for being out of shape while Rory gets crap for working out too much, and Phil could only win on easy courses while it's soft courses for Rory.

BUT.

By age 29 Rory has won four majors, a bunch of money titles, a few scoring titles, and so on. By age 29 Phil had won the World Series of Golf.

I really don't see how I'm rewriting history about that. At the time the World Series of Golf win was seen as an aberration in his career (it was also the year before TW turned pro). It wasn't until four years later when he won the Tour Championship over TW that they started writing the 'Phil has arrived and has learned how to win the big ones' articles (again, keep in mind at that point he was a year older than Rory currently is). And then it took Phil another four years to win a major.

Phil went Hollywood when he starred in "Tin Cup".....after that he didn't want to win....lol........If Rory ends up with 7 majors, he ties Arnold Palmer, Sam Snead and Bobby Jones for crying out loud.....if he gets 8, he is in the same class as Hogan, Watson and Gary Player.....legends of the game.....7 seems very doable...

IF is the key word

Like IF Tiger wins another major.

What we do know now is Rory is charmin soft.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

IF is the key word

Again, at Rory's age Phil was regarded as charmin soft, and that was without having won anything big. Since then he's won 5 majors and 25 or so regular tournaments.

Not quite so sure why everyone is ready to write off the rest of the career of a 29 year old Rory.

Make a list of people who have done what Rory has done by age 29. Tiger, Jack, Bobby Jones. Maybe Tom Watson and Seve too? Did I miss anyone else? As you can see, there's nothing but a bunch of softies on that list.

You people are freaking crazy. I wish I was as charmin soft as Rory is.

Well Rory does peruse here time to time, I hope he sees all the major advice and turn his career around quickly....23 wins and four majors are horrible stats. If he worked as hard as I do sitting behind my computer he’d have 100 majors and 1000 W’s around the world. His parents must be so disappointed in him....

For his talent level they are. People can’t seem to see it relatively.

You’re so full of it dude. I see Gerry regularly enough to be familiar with and I don’t think he cares what Rory does as long as he is the one making the decision and is happy about it.

apparently you missed the part where it was MY opinion .. I said nothing of what his Dad said... But i will let you know your bias is showing... I dont have a hate for Rory,, I say pretty regularly how talented he is and how i think hes a good kid compared to many.. But you letting us know you rub elbows with PoP pretty much explains your opinion... Otherwise why keep mentioning it ?

1000 percent I’m bias. I’m bias for facts, not opinion. And if i think (because I don’t know what Rory or his parents are feeling I can only go off what I see) you’re wrong about friends I’m gunna shut it down. And I’ve criticized his game on here even look at the Rory v Jordan thread or the API thread in March.

Let’s use law school for the following example.

I hope to never have kids, but our parenting would be radically different which is fine. But if my child made a decision and said, “I want to be a criminal defense attorney.”

“Ok, that’s great hun you should talk to your uncle, I’ll make a couple calls and see if you can clerk for judge so and so, this summer. I’ll pick up some lsat study material as well, and pay for it all don’t worry.”

“Thanks dad!”

So little “jimmy” scores 172 in the 93 percentile, 3.47 GPA double major, All American golfer (3 collegiate wins, 8th at nationals), Academic all American, athlete of the year for the school. Scholarship offers from Duke Law, UVA Law, Vanderbilt Law. Then “jimmy” decides that law school isn’t for him, and wants to go a different direction, and become a golf course superintendent because he loves golf, and after a few years of really hard work he’s working one of the best clubs in the world. Is it my job to be disappointed? Or support him? It’s his decision, if he made it with a gun to his head and didn’t believe the path he was choosing then speak up, but if not? Then who am I to say...

Ps that actually happened. Now maybe my parents are better than every parent on here, (which is possible) but my brother made a decision to give up baseball. He was with the padres, but he made a decision to go into business with some friends and now he’s killing it.

So maybe I’m missing your point...again, and we’ll just agree to disagree. But you’re 99.999 repeating percent wrong, because again I don’t know what they’re feeling, but I know what I see and hear. And when it comes to friends, I’ll take the bullet. Btw why isn’t anyone attacking Bryson with the same vitriol? He said he doesn’t care about defending his title this week, only playing well and executing? The nerve of him to not want to dominate every event!!!!!!

You're not bias. You're biased.

nobody in the golfing world says this type of "soft" stuff....it just the haters

yes because haters is also a commonly used word in the golfing world. you got me.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

IF is the key word

Again, at Rory's age Phil was regarded as charmin soft, and that was without having won anything big. Since then he's won 5 majors and 25 or so regular tournaments.

Not quite so sure why everyone is ready to write off the rest of the career of a 29 year old Rory.

Make a list of people who have done what Rory has done by age 29. Tiger, Jack, Bobby Jones. Maybe Tom Watson and Seve too? Did I miss anyone else? As you can see, there's nothing but a bunch of softies on that list.

the thing is I never written him off. He did it to himself. And I never said Phil wasn't soft back then. He was. And physically still is.

The irony of this is when Rory actually looked soft, he had a lot of grit. Now that he no longer looks soft, he's mentally fragile.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

It wasn't a boss move by Rory. It was a unfair move by the officials. Rory had no say so , or at least didn't exercise the say so he had which was to say no. It's not the right thing to do. Phil almost holed the eagle pitch by the way. So no way to say " phil wasn't winning and he knew it ". He literally was an inch away and that's after being rushed. Had he had the full time he may have hit the approach closer. Who knows. But hey. We roll others aside for Rors... nobody without bias can in goood conscious say that was a fair move for alll. It was only good for Rory and for the tournament getting finished. It was done at the expense of the remaining competitors. Pretty easy to see.

That's a little extreme to me and I like Phil...a lot. He just wasn't winning that tournament and it was the right thing to do for a MAJOR. Rory asked and nothing in the rules prevented it or else the officials would have not allowed it. . A huge weather delay condensed tee times and it was the only decision to make....Phil was a good guy about if we want to apply certain logic we see above, we could also say Phil was not ultra competitive, he could have said no and made Rory wait a day to play 18 "if he really wanted it"...Rory almost put his drive in the water, played to a bunker and still won with a par on 18........just a different angle depending what your bias is I guess....in my opinion, I think Rory displayed a lot of competitiveness there.....more than others who were high fiving each other all day. Michelsons bogey on 16 sealed his fate for the most part while ricky faltered earlier and when Rory birdied 17 for a 2 shot lead, it was basically over right there.

That’s not how it happened. Phil said ok to him hitting up from the tee. Then got back doored when they also wanted him to hit up to the green. Phil was livid at the time. Go back and watch. He even grabbed an official and said “ wtf is this “. Was a s*** show they kept quiet after the fact.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

IF is the key word

Spieth. By the time he’s 29 he will make Rory look like .... well Rory.

ANd phil is charmin soft ? Wow. This is the guy who called out Tom Watson on world wide live tv. Those are diamond balls sir. Carted around in a wheel barrow.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock