Rory, "If I didn’t win another Major for the rest of my career, nothing is going to change in my lif

bscinstnct

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cuz top 14-15 on the planet just doesnt cut it. Y'all are too damn funny.

Depends on who is the judge and jury.

Would it have been acceptable for Tiger to be ranked 15 at his age? Nope.

This is really Rory fans upset because of all the potential that is wasted on the lack of "want to"

It's his prerogative, but for many it's sad to think about what could have been.

But Rory is not 14th-he is 8th except in Ferg's mind. The players above him are not just endowed with the "I gotta have it gene" more than Rory. At the bare minimum 4 of the 7 have better all around games. Period.

Rory does have a pretty swing though. :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

As has been pointed out he's 8th in the world. Its easy to say you can have it both ways. Maybe he thinks getting to #1 would take beating balls 10 hours a day and spending his nights on a putting green. Maybe he doesn't want to do that....maybe being 8th means practicing a little less and doing things he enjoys.

Its his choice. Again people do this in pretty much every single field. CEO's do it, athletes do it. They can do it because of how well they are paid sure, but the consumers (us) have made that the case.

How many tech guys have sold their companies to google or Facebook and are chilling right now. Do they owe us more ideas?

This. If he left golf right now I'd say more power to him. Being born with talent is not a choice nor is there any duty associated with it. If I were him and I felt like going fishing or whatever I would. It's not like entertainers owe us jack.

He does not owe anyone.

But his statement sounds like he is saying it's fine if I don't win.

You usually don't see that in top athletes in any sport. They pretty much got to where they are because they thrive on beating others and the thrill/gratification of winning. And an immense hatred of losing.

Given the emotion he has shown when he wins, I would imagine he gets very angry and frustrated knowing there was a time he could walk out there an beat anybody and at this time, he can't.

You can't tell me that a guy this competitive with the ability he has is content and not seriously *issed if he never wins another major,

roryshot.gif

This is in the context of the incredible success he has had in golf and what seems like a great family/married life, of course.

This is another way of saying he doesn't really want to win majors that badly.

Which is fine. I'm not saying which is the better or worse mentality, but this is the difference between he and Tiger.

Tiger still wants to win 5 more majors and believes he can, as crazy and unlikely as it is at age 42. Rory is rationalizing to himself about why it will be okay if he doesn't win another one, and he's 29.

As has been pointed out he's 8th in the world. Its easy to say you can have it both ways. Maybe he thinks getting to #1 would take beating balls 10 hours a day and spending his nights on a putting green. Maybe he doesn't want to do that....maybe being 8th means practicing a little less and doing things he enjoys.

Its his choice. Again people do this in pretty much every single field. CEO's do it, athletes do it. They can do it because of how well they are paid sure, but the consumers (us) have made that the case.

How many tech guys have sold their companies to google or Facebook and are chilling right now. Do they owe us more ideas?

This. If he left golf right now I'd say more power to him. Being born with talent is not a choice nor is there any duty associated with it. If I were him and I felt like going fishing or whatever I would. It's not like entertainers owe us jack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zurqzobl99c

Damn right, KLP!!! :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

This is really Rory fans upset because of all the potential that is wasted on the lack of "want to"

It's his prerogative, but for many it's sad to think about what could have been.

But Rory is not 14th-he is 8th except in Ferg's mind. The players above him are not just endowed with the "I gotta have it gene" more than Rory. At the bare minimum 4 of the 7 have better all around games. Period.

Rors is currently playing better than Forearms, Bubbs, Reeder and Fleets?

I think not.

I think not.

Way better than your buddy Fleets-not even close. Also a bit better than Casey. Bubba has been better but is coming from a ways back. As has Reed. We will see if Bubba continues that arc or goes back to being Bubba.

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=10091 Rory

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=12294 Fleets

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=7108 Casey

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=7334 Bubba

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=14838 Reed

I think not.

Way better than your buddy Fleets-not even close. Also a bit better than Casey. Bubba has been better but is coming from a ways back. As has Reed. We will see if Bubba continues that arc or goes back to being Bubba.

http://www.owgr.com/...D=10091 Rory

http://www.owgr.com/...12294 Fleets

http://www.owgr.com/...D=7108 Casey

http://www.owgr.com/...playerID=7334 Bubba

http://www.owgr.com/...rID=14838 Reed

World Rankings - fixed.

The other thing I find funny is that when a player opens up he hears about and if he says nothing all the time he’s thought of as cold and no fun. How can it be both ways?!?

You can open up without putting your foot in your mouth, which is unfortunately what Rory has done quite a few times. That is where the criticism comes from, the various and somewhat unnecessary tone deaf opinions he has given about things that were for some reason praised as "telling it like it is" just because it WASN'T a normal canned response. The guy definitely lives in a world we don't understand and by all accounts is a good person based on the experiences people have had with him, but his public persona overall has been hurt by foot-in-mouth disease as he has often awkwardly tried to either get out in front of or otherwise change the media narrative about something.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

The only reason I disagree with his statements on this is, imagine how many kids look up to Rory. Imagine how many kids tune in after class to watch Rory go out and compete, and then they themselves head off to the driving range. It would be a huge blow to hear that my sports role model has basically given up on his career.

Like Lebron just saying if he never wins again he's ok with it, and then proceed to drop to like a 10% three point make, similar to Rory's ability to even make a putt as of recent. Didn't realize how rare of a talent Tiger was at the time. I just assumed another great would come along with the same drive, but he was really one of a kind. I get that golfs just a game, and some of us are lucky enough to play that game for a living, but who would give up on a chance of being remembered forever?

The real conversation here should be why does Rory feel compelled to make silly statements such as this? It gives you a pretty good insight to what is going on in his psyche.

I for one say he is done winning majors, unless he gets incredibly hot with the putter for one weekend.

I just don't think Rory wants to be the king of the mountain, and all that goes with it. He is trying to justify it, both publicly and internally.

That's an interesting take on it. My question would be is he trying to justify it because he knows he couldn't be best in the world again? Is the justification just cover for his stark realisation?

Who knows.

This. If he left golf right now I’d say more power to him. Being born with talent is not a choice nor is there any duty associated with it. If I were him and I felt like going fishing or whatever I would. It’s not like entertainers owe us jack.

Disagree there. Certain amount of responsibility comes with great talent. If I’m his parent and I worked half my life to afford him being where he is he’d better try his best. That’s all I’d ask. Look me in the eye and tell me you are trying you’re best . I bet he can’t. Anyone who thinks that’s a bad lesson given with a spoon full of love is daft.

If you aren’t going to do your best don’t play.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zurqzobl99c

Exactly ! 100% on point. His words are an insult to every journeyman player who ever tried and failed. To waste a god given gift with laziness is a sin in my book.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The real conversation here should be why does Rory feel compelled to make silly statements such as this? It gives you a pretty good insight to what is going on in his psyche.

I for one say he is done winning majors, unless he gets incredibly hot with the putter for one weekend.

I just don't think Rory wants to be the king of the mountain, and all that goes with it. He is trying to justify it, both publicly and internally.

Agreed. I don't have any issue with what he said, but what it does tell me that he doesn't have that killer instinct. Virtually none of the golfers do today. They understand that life does not revolve around golf and that's awesome. They have other interests, and that's cool. But Rory just encapsulated the current crop of golfers. While they may want to win, they're not committed to work completely to be the best. That's what set Jack and Tiger apart. It's going to cost them something more than they're willing to pay. Again, there's nothing wrong with that, but he shouldn't pretend that will be his life's goal to be the absolute best in golf if he's not willing to sell out completely. Jack had Barbara to pick up the slack. Tiger of course paid an extremely high price and it damn near killed him and could have killed someone else. Today's players see that and are thinking, "Nope, not worth it."

Rory may win one more. MAYBE. But double digits? Nope. Not gonna happen. And I like him, but it doesn't seem like it's in him. And that's OK.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

That's an interesting take on it. My question would be is he trying to justify it because he knows he couldn't be best in the world again? Is the justification just cover for his stark realisation?

Who knows.

Self-realization. Rors has reached his maximum potential in golf.

I mean let's face it when one goes to see Brad Faxon - it's time to turn out the light on winning majors.

As has been pointed out he's 8th in the world. Its easy to say you can have it both ways. Maybe he thinks getting to #1 would take beating balls 10 hours a day and spending his nights on a putting green. Maybe he doesn't want to do that....maybe being 8th means practicing a little less and doing things he enjoys. Its his choice. Again people do this in pretty much every single field. CEO's do it, athletes do it. They can do it because of how well they are paid sure, but the consumers (us) have made that the case. How many tech guys have sold their companies to google or Facebook and are chilling right now. Do they owe us more ideas?
This. If he left golf right now I’d say more power to him. Being born with talent is not a choice nor is there any duty associated with it. If I were him and I felt like going fishing or whatever I would. It’s not like entertainers owe us jack.
Disagree there. Certain amount of responsibility comes with great talent. If I’m his parent and I worked half my life to afford him being where he is he’d better try his best. That’s all I’d ask. Look me in the eye and tell me you are trying you’re best . I bet he can’t. Anyone who thinks that’s a bad lesson given with a spoon full of love is daft. If you aren’t going to do your best don’t play.

This is BS. If you asked this of my parents or me as a parent most would ensure if he was happy with his decision. If he was "giving it his all" but was miserable doing it, I'm sure most parents would tell him to stop. If he was happy where he was, and he was a good person to the people closest to him, I think they would be good. But you're saying that even though he repaid their sacrfice 100 fold and he's happy with his life, they're disappointed in him? Gimme a break.

There is 0 responsibility to display your talent. Talent is for teenagers. Adults aren't rewarded for talent, they are rewarded for results. Nobody cares if you spent 150 hours on the putting green or you are a natural, on Sunday the putt either goes in or it doesn't.

This entire thread is simply filled with assumptions based on no insight at all and obvious statements.

All we've really determined is that Rory at 29 years old isn't as good as Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods. WOW, what a revelation.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

Disagree there. Certain amount of responsibility comes with great talent. If I’m his parent and I worked half my life to afford him being where he is he’d better try his best. That’s all I’d ask. Look me in the eye and tell me you are trying you’re best . I bet he can’t. Anyone who thinks that’s a bad lesson given with a spoon full of love is daft.

How many parents can say their kids reached literally the #1 spot in the world and have made 9 figures in their job?

My parents are very happy with how I turned out and Rory is unquestionably more successful in his career than I am in mine even if he quit today outright. He's probably put more work in to his craft than 99% of people do at theirs too. Were looking at Rory like he was given a gift, when he worked to get where he is.

If Tim Cook quit apple tomorrow I doubt people would say he owes us more iPhones. And he's a very talented individual too. I think the reaction as another poster mentioned is more a projection of what we think we would do in Rory's position. And given we are where we are and he is where he is, were probably not even correct in our assumptions about ourselves.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Disagree there. Certain amount of responsibility comes with great talent. If I'm his parent and I worked half my life to afford him being where he is he'd better try his best. That's all I'd ask. Look me in the eye and tell me you are trying you're best . I bet he can't. Anyone who thinks that's a bad lesson given with a spoon full of love is daft.

If you aren't going to do your best don't play.

How many parents can say their kids reached literally the #1 spot in the world and have made 9 figures in their job?

My parents are very happy with how I turned out and Rory is unquestionably more successful in his career than I am in mine even if he quit today outright. He's probably put more work in to his craft than 99% of people do at theirs too. Were looking at Rory like he was given a gift, when he worked to get where he is.

If Tim Cook quit apple tomorrow I doubt people would say he owes us more iPhones. And he's a very talented individual too. I think the reaction as another poster mentioned is more a projection of what we think we would do in Rory's position. And given we are where we are and he is where he is, were probably not even correct in our assumptions about ourselves.

spot on ... people seem to think rory was born with this powerful, flowing swing he has ... well, he wasn't ... he didn't have any more talent at birth than the majority of us ... he simply had parents that reacted to his interest in the game and helped him develop his game and work ethic... and it's paid off ... laughable to hear what people would do if "I were him" ... he may not have the fire he once did; only he can answer that ... but he's got more fire than the avg internet journeyman, and he's had enough fire to win a bunch of tournaments, a few majors and a boatload of money ...

The only reason I disagree with his statements on this is, imagine how many kids look up to Rory. Imagine how many kids tune in after class to watch Rory go out and compete, and then they themselves head off to the driving range. It would be a huge blow to hear that my sports role model has basically given up on his career.

Like Lebron just saying if he never wins again he's ok with it, and then proceed to drop to like a 10% three point make, similar to Rory's ability to even make a putt as of recent. Didn't realize how rare of a talent Tiger was at the time. I just assumed another great would come along with the same drive, but he was really one of a kind. I get that golfs just a game, and some of us are lucky enough to play that game for a living, but who would give up on a chance of being remembered forever?

There's two ways to say that thought:

1) "I'm okay if I never win again"; but you keep grinding because you want to win

2) "I'm okay if I never win again"; but it's an excuse to not put in work

Disagree there. Certain amount of responsibility comes with great talent. If I'm his parent and I worked half my life to afford him being where he is he'd better try his best. That's all I'd ask. Look me in the eye and tell me you are trying you're best . I bet he can't. Anyone who thinks that's a bad lesson given with a spoon full of love is daft.

I agree, if Rory wants to win, he should put in the work to win. If he doesn't want to play anymore, that's fine too.

At the end of the day, this whole golf thing is about making money. If given the choice between 0 majors but $100mn and 15 majors but $5mn, who on tour would take the 15 majors?

Rory could probably go insane and practice 20 hours a day, but what life would he live. Have to remember, he gave up a lot to make it to where he is now, should he keep putting life on hold if he doesn't want to.

The talent question is off topic a bit but if you look around it’s quite obvious we are not all equally gifted. It’s not even debatable.

Rory worked his a** off but he has tremendous talent also. Think about it he’s RICH. Maybe, since his life thus far has been golf golf golf golf golf golf he is seeing freedom as attractive.

I agree with the post above about the hunger levels on tour in general. Also as a rich young man is it worth sacrificing your body potentially?

It’s his choice. He already proved to himself he can be number one. What else is left?

Who knows.

I mean let's face it when one goes to see Brad Faxon - it's time to turn out the light on winning majors.

So ....trying to improve his weakness by working with one of the best putters ever is a bad thing? Is this in the same category of a player needs a coach that won more than he has? So he is slammed for not caring but if he does care it has to be to work with the correct guy in your eyes?

Well Rory does peruse here time to time, I hope he sees all the major advice and turn his career around quickly....23 wins and four majors are horrible stats. If he worked as hard as I do sitting behind my computer he’d have 100 majors and 1000 W’s around the world. His parents must be so disappointed in him....

For his talent level they are. People can’t seem to see it relatively.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Who knows.

So ....trying to improve his weakness by working with one of the best putters ever is a bad thing? Is this in the same category of a player needs a coach that won more than he has? So he is slammed for not caring but if he does care it has to be to work with the correct guy in your eyes?

Best putters ever? What? Brad Faxon never won a major.

Faxon's advice was revered and applauded when Rors won at Arnie's house.

However a few weeks later - Brad Faxon's putting tips cost Rors the Masters.

I brought it up on this forum and no one wanted to talk about it.

Harvey Penick advised, "always work from your strengths."

Rors works from his weaknesses, and therein lies a problem.

Rors needs a new life coach.

spot on ... people seem to think rory was born with this powerful, flowing swing he has ... well, he wasn't ... he didn't have any more talent at birth than the majority of us ... he simply had parents that reacted to his interest in the game and helped him develop his game and work ethic... and it's paid off ... laughable to hear what people would do if "I were him" ... he may not have the fire he once did; only he can answer that ... but he's got more fire than the avg internet journeyman, and he's had enough fire to win a bunch of tournaments, a few majors and a boatload of money ...

Go watch a Pga junior league practice full of 8-10 year olds. It’s clear that some are born with much more than others.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Jeff. We just see if fundamentally different.

I don’t believe it quitting anything you start. He said himself he wanted to be the best. He wanted to beat tiger etc. now he makes a little money and poof. He’s ready to quit.

Now I’ll give you that everyone is wired differently. And maybe he was mistaken as a kid or lied to himself when he said he wanted it. But I’m the type that if I made the choice he has to give up , yeas from now laying on my death bed “ what could have been “ would eat me. In my opinion if he can make peace with quitting now hen he never was the competitor he led us to believe he was. You can’t be a tiger or a jack and the. Change your mind. Doesn’t work that way.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock