Rory, "If I didn’t win another Major for the rest of my career, nothing is going to change in my lif

bscinstnct

IF is the key word

Like IF Tiger wins another major.

What we do know now is Rory is charmin soft.

Again, at Rory's age Phil was regarded as charmin soft, and that was without having won anything big. Since then he's won 5 majors and 25 or so regular tournaments.

Not quite so sure why everyone is ready to write off the rest of the career of a 29 year old Rory.

Make a list of people who have done what Rory has done by age 29. Tiger, Jack, Bobby Jones. Maybe Tom Watson and Seve too? Did I miss anyone else? As you can see, there's nothing but a bunch of softies on that list.

You people are freaking crazy. I wish I was as charmin soft as Rory is.

the thing is I never written him off. He did it to himself. And I never said Phil wasn't soft back then. He was. And physically still is.

The irony of this is when Rory actually looked soft, he had a lot of grit. Now that he no longer looks soft, he's mentally fragile.

this is awesome....do you know him personally? Just curious how you know what's in his head.......when he drained that $10 million dollar putt to win the fed ex cup 2 years ago, seemed pretty mentally tough to me........

is tiger throwing his club into the crowd viewed as not being mentally tough? I mean, whats the criteria for your opinion?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a boss move by rory….as ricky and phil were fist bumping all day, rory said it was not a good look because in competition you should be wanting to kick someones a**, no high five them...phil knew he wasn't wining

It wasn't a boss move by Rory. It was a unfair move by the officials. Rory had no say so , or at least didn't exercise the say so he had which was to say no. It's not the right thing to do. Phil almost holed the eagle pitch by the way. So no way to say " phil wasn't winning and he knew it ". He literally was an inch away and that's after being rushed. Had he had the full time he may have hit the approach closer. Who knows. But hey. We roll others aside for Rors... nobody without bias can in goood conscious say that was a fair move for alll. It was only good for Rory and for the tournament getting finished. It was done at the expense of the remaining competitors. Pretty easy to see.

That's a little extreme to me and I like Phil...a lot. He just wasn't winning that tournament and it was the right thing to do for a MAJOR. Rory asked and nothing in the rules prevented it or else the officials would have not allowed it. . A huge weather delay condensed tee times and it was the only decision to make....Phil was a good guy about if we want to apply certain logic we see above, we could also say Phil was not ultra competitive, he could have said no and made Rory wait a day to play 18 "if he really wanted it"...Rory almost put his drive in the water, played to a bunker and still won with a par on 18........just a different angle depending what your bias is I guess....in my opinion, I think Rory displayed a lot of competitiveness there.....more than others who were high fiving each other all day. Michelsons bogey on 16 sealed his fate for the most part while ricky faltered earlier and when Rory birdied 17 for a 2 shot lead, it was basically over right there.

That's not how it happened. Phil said ok to him hitting up from the tee. Then got back doored when they also wanted him to hit up to the green. Phil was livid at the time. Go back and watch. He even grabbed an official and said " wtf is this ". Was a s*** show they kept quiet after the fact.

yea, agreed Phil was not totally happy which is why I said he was a good guy about it....but the fact remains the PGA condensed tee times to get the tourney wrapped up and it was the right thing to do.

I thought it was a boss move by rory….as ricky and phil were fist bumping all day, rory said it was not a good look because in competition you should be wanting to kick someones a**, no high five them...phil knew he wasn't wining

It wasn't a boss move by Rory. It was a unfair move by the officials. Rory had no say so , or at least didn't exercise the say so he had which was to say no. It's not the right thing to do. Phil almost holed the eagle pitch by the way. So no way to say " phil wasn't winning and he knew it ". He literally was an inch away and that's after being rushed. Had he had the full time he may have hit the approach closer. Who knows. But hey. We roll others aside for Rors... nobody without bias can in goood conscious say that was a fair move for alll. It was only good for Rory and for the tournament getting finished. It was done at the expense of the remaining competitors. Pretty easy to see.

That's a little extreme to me and I like Phil...a lot. He just wasn't winning that tournament and it was the right thing to do for a MAJOR. Rory asked and nothing in the rules prevented it or else the officials would have not allowed it. . A huge weather delay condensed tee times and it was the only decision to make....Phil was a good guy about if we want to apply certain logic we see above, we could also say Phil was not ultra competitive, he could have said no and made Rory wait a day to play 18 "if he really wanted it"...Rory almost put his drive in the water, played to a bunker and still won with a par on 18........just a different angle depending what your bias is I guess....in my opinion, I think Rory displayed a lot of competitiveness there.....more than others who were high fiving each other all day. Michelsons bogey on 16 sealed his fate for the most part while ricky faltered earlier and when Rory birdied 17 for a 2 shot lead, it was basically over right there.

That's not how it happened. Phil said ok to him hitting up from the tee. Then got back doored when they also wanted him to hit up to the green. Phil was livid at the time. Go back and watch. He even grabbed an official and said " wtf is this ". Was a s*** show they kept quiet after the fact.

yea, agreed Phil was not totally happy which is why I said he was a good guy about it....but the fact remains the PGA condensed tee times to get the tourney wrapped up and it was the right thing to do.

I respect your opinion. Since it is well stated and a reasonable thought for the whole picture.

But I don’t agree. I think it takes the integrity of the event away. If it needed to be finished the next day. So be it. They all should have comeback the next morning and teed off on 18. That would have been fair.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

IF is the key word

Again, at Rory's age Phil was regarded as charmin soft, and that was without having won anything big. Since then he's won 5 majors and 25 or so regular tournaments.

Not quite so sure why everyone is ready to write off the rest of the career of a 29 year old Rory.

Make a list of people who have done what Rory has done by age 29. Tiger, Jack, Bobby Jones. Maybe Tom Watson and Seve too? Did I miss anyone else? As you can see, there's nothing but a bunch of softies on that list.

Spieth. By the time he's 29 he will make Rory look like .... well Rory.

ANd phil is charmin soft ? Wow. This is the guy who called out Tom Watson on world wide live tv. Those are diamond balls sir. Carted around in a wheel barrow.

Spieth and Rory's careers are pretty similar. Both have Masters chokes to their credit as well.... Rory plays a lot more European events and jet sets all over the world....Spieth isn't so popular from an international standpoint.

If DJ didn't three putt from 12 feet on 18 to lose the Open, would we be talking about Spieth in the same light?

Not just in sports but you see people with a single minded focus to accomplish a goal. And then, when they finally do, it's not as fulfilling as they thought it would be.

Like David Duval,

"He eventually admitted that he asked himself, Is that all there is? Winning the claret jug, getting to No. 1 and finally claiming a major championship didn't make him feel fulfilled. He was a lonely warrior, a smart guy with a lot of other interests that made golf seem less fascinating after going at it hard for a decade and a half."

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/david-duval-has-found-his-game-and-leaderboard-us-open

I also agree Rory was most likely to win. BUT don’t like to see outside interference help that outcome an ounce . It had a “ move out of the way guys I already won this “ appearance. Just wasn’t a forgone conclusion yet.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

IF is the key word

the thing is I never written him off. He did it to himself. And I never said Phil wasn't soft back then. He was. And physically still is.

The irony of this is when Rory actually looked soft, he had a lot of grit. Now that he no longer looks soft, he's mentally fragile.

this is awesome....do you know him personally? Just curious how you know what's in his head.......when he drained that $10 million dollar putt to win the fed ex cup 2 years ago, seemed pretty mentally tough to me........

is tiger throwing his club into the crowd viewed as not being mentally tough? I mean, whats the criteria for your opinion?

dude admit he doesn't care about winning. this isn't like old news bud.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

ANd phil is charmin soft ? Wow. This is the guy who called out Tom Watson on world wide live tv. Those are diamond balls sir. Carted around in a wheel barrow.

That's not what I said--at all. I said when Phil was Rory's age (29) he was regarded as soft, mentally weak, prone to saying dumb things, same as Rory currently is. And all of that WAS said of Phil. I never said I personally thought Phil was soft then, or that I think Phil is soft now. I said that since Phil was Rory's age he's gone on to win 5 majors and ~25 regular tournaments. Again, that's true, same as what Phil was called in the media when he was in his 20s.

And what of Spieth? Where's his "grit" now that he's not making 20 footers left and right? He must be done. Just doesn't have the mental strength to make 20 footers any more. Surely we should write off the rest of Spieth's career too. (that's written in the sarcasm font in case anyone is wondering). Or maybe perhaps we shouldn't write someone that young and talented off after one lackluster year by the insanely lofty standards that he's already set? Hmmmmmmmmmm,

IF is the key word

Spieth and Rory's careers are pretty similar. Both have Masters chokes to their credit as well.... Rory plays a lot more European events and jet sets all over the world....Spieth isn't so popular from an international standpoint.

If DJ didn't three putt from 12 feet on 18 to lose the Open, would we be talking about Spieth in the same light?

Jordan sums up that question perfectly when he says remember the shot I hit into 18 to win. If Jordan and dj were in the same group it wouldn’t look like he choked it away. Would look like Jordan made birdie to win. Jordan hit a much harder approach into 18 to win. Dj has every advantage afforded to anyone ( length a 6 iron vs 3 wood approach and a short putt ) and with all that still couldn’t pass Spieth.

If you’re tryin to suggest his 3 majors are a fluke. Might want to pay attention . His brain has willed all 3 to being. None were soft cake walks. And he very nearly has Won Augusta thrice.

Ask the Australians how they feel about him. Their open has his name on it in consecutive years. By wide margains.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

spieth just won a major last year. He gets a pass for another year. Once next year is over, we'll call spieth a headcase. How's that for you.

The only person to get an unlimited pass is Tiger. That's usually what happens when you've reached legendary status before you're 30.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

That's not what I said--at all. I said when Phil was Rory's age (29) he was regarded as soft, mentally weak, prone to saying dumb things, same as Rory currently is. And all of that WAS said of Phil. I never said I personally thought Phil was soft then, or that I think Phil is soft now. I said that since Phil was Rory's age he's gone on to win 5 majors and ~25 regular tournaments. Again, that's true, same as what Phil was called in the media when he was in his 20s.

And what of Spieth? Where's his "grit" now that he's not making 20 footers left and right? He must be done. Just doesn't have the mental strength to make 20 footers any more. Surely we should write off the rest of Spieth's career too. (that's written in the sarcasm font in case anyone is wondering). Or maybe perhaps we shouldn't write someone that young and talented off after one lackluster year by the insanely lofty standards that he's already set? Hmmmmmmmmmm,

Difference is Spieth hasn’t mentally and publically quit.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Not just in sports but you see people with a single minded focus to accomplish a goal. And then, when they finally do, it's not as fulfilling as they thought it would be.

Like David Duval,

"He eventually admitted that he asked himself, Is that all there is? Winning the claret jug, getting to No. 1 and finally claiming a major championship didn't make him feel fulfilled. He was a lonely warrior, a smart guy with a lot of other interests that made golf seem less fascinating after going at it hard for a decade and a half."

http://www.golf.com/...erboard-us-open

That's a great point. For some people, winning at golf is their entire life. And for others, it's not.

I could NEVER have the discipline to go practice and practice and practice for hours and hours and hours and days and days and days.

Never mind that I don't have the talent, it's that there are just way too many more interesting and fulfilling things to do with one's time and life.

I liked the honesty in Rory's reply.

I don't know how his career will pan out, but he's still got a boatload of talent AND drive, even if it's not at a pathological level!

spieth just won a major last year. He gets a pass for another year. Once next year is over, we'll call spieth a headcase. How's that for you.

The only person to get an unlimited pass is Tiger. That's usually what happens when you've reached legendary status before you're 30.

lol, seems fair.

24 months to go from the next greatest thing ever since Tiger Wood to a total headcase who is too soft to ever win again as diagnosed by a bunch of 15 handicap internet commentators seems about right.

Difference is Spieth hasn't mentally and publically quit.

Rory has retired?!? Wow that's crazy! You'll have to point me towards the interview where he said he quit. I must have missed it.

lol, seems fair.

24 months to go from the next greatest thing ever since Tiger Wood to a total headcase who is too soft to ever win again as diagnosed by a bunch of 15 handicap internet commentators seems about right.

so this forum shouldn't diagnosed or analyzed or discuss? kind of defeats the purpose of this forum. some folks just don't like other folks opinions

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

IF is the key word

Jordan sums up that question perfectly when he says remember the shot I hit into 18 to win. If Jordan and dj were in the same group it wouldn't look like he choked it away. Would look like Jordan made birdie to win. Jordan hit a much harder approach into 18 to win. Dj has every advantage afforded to anyone ( length a 6 iron vs 3 wood approach and a short putt ) and with all that still couldn't pass Spieth.

If you're tryin to suggest his 3 majors are a fluke. Might want to pay attention . His brain has willed all 3 to being. None were soft cake walks. And he very nearly has Won Augusta thrice.

Ask the Australians how they feel about him. Their open has his name on it in consecutive years. By wide margains.

Only one of those was by a wide margain. The other was by a playoff margain. And they weren't in consecutive years.

Like David Duval,

I agree, but why does he now keep grinding and humbling himself every year?

Rory has retired?!? Wow that's crazy! You'll have to point me towards the interview where he said he quit. I must have missed it.

It’s like the old saying. “ for every snake you see there’s 20 more you didn’t see “. This admission is just the tip of many more doubts he hasn’t verbalized.

His comments about not caring aboot winning more majors is a tip or tell to his actual mindset. For a player of his caliber to say that outloud is pretty unprecedented. It leads me to believe that he isnt driven to win. Or thinks he can’t.

Or he’s trying out some weird reverse psychology which I’d say won’t work.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Like David Duval,

Because he can’t put the fire out.

Time will tell if Rory still has the fire. Or if he will retire in 3-5 years. Plenty of players have done it. I say all this wanting to see him wake up , as his caddie asked him to do , realize he’s Rory F-ing Mcclroy and do what he worked his whole life to do. Be the #1 guy.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It's like the old saying. " for every snake you see there's 20 more you didn't see ". This admission is just the tip of many more doubts he hasn't verbalized.

His comments about not caring aboot winning more majors is a tip or tell to his actual mindset. For a player of his caliber to say that outloud is pretty unprecedented. It leads me to believe that he isnt driven to win. Or thinks he can't.

Or he's trying out some weird reverse psychology which I'd say won't work.

We all have our opinions on this.........I don't see him saying he does not care. Just that his life would not change either way. The guy has won 4 majors and numerous millions. Will his life change if he wins 5? 6? A couple more? No it will not. Does that mean he says he does not care to win more? No, he does not say that. The end of the first sentence tells me he wants to win more to reach his own version of his potential.

"He began: “If I didn’t win another Major for the rest of my career, nothing is going to change in my life whether I win one or not, but obviously I don’t feel like I’ll have fulfilled my potential.

“But at the same time, there are other things in my life that are more important than golf.”

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I read that last sentence as an admission of failure so far. I don’t think that you can say that without meaning you feel incomplete.

Now I’ll give this. The question becomes will it motivate or become a defeated attitude ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It's like the old saying. " for every snake you see there's 20 more you didn't see ". This admission is just the tip of many more doubts he hasn't verbalized.

His comments about not caring aboot winning more majors is a tip or tell to his actual mindset. For a player of his caliber to say that outloud is pretty unprecedented. It leads me to believe that he isnt driven to win. Or thinks he can't.

You keep putting words in Rory's mouth. This is what he said:

If I didn't win another major for the rest of my career nothing is going to change in my life. Obviously I don't feel like I'll have fulfilled my potential. But at the same time there's other things in my life that are more important than golf. I'd be disappointed to not win another major, but again it's not going to change things. I don't panic. It doesn't keep me up at night. I just need to give myself chances. I was proud of myself just to get into the final group at the Masters this year. I didn't have a good Sunday. But I would have needed something pretty special to beat Patrick, anyway. I've got two more chances this year to hopefully play myself into contention. That was my goal. My goal this year it wasn't to win majors. It was just to give myself a chance and to put myself in positions to see how I fair. I did that at Augusta. I felt like I learned a bit from it and then hopefully going into Carnoustie and Bellerive I can put myself in similar positions.

That's a far cry from, say for instance, this:

That's the reality. I'm not good enough and today I know it. I've been trying for 13 years and I don't feel capable of winning. I don't know what happened to me. Maybe it's something psychological. After 13 years, my chances are over. I'm not good enough for the majors. That's it.

Way too many people in this thread are acting like Rory repeated verbatim what Sergio said. And of course Sergio proved himself wrong.

Like David Duval,

I don't know if it's an exact, if any, parallel to Duval. Seems like he wants to win but not be obsessed with it.

As far as why he still plays....

The guy plays golf for a living, is still very competitive, can win anytime

And he makes a fortune doing it.

I respect your opinion. Since it is well stated and a reasonable thought for the whole picture.

But I don't agree. I think it takes the integrity of the event away. If it needed to be finished the next day. So be it. They all should have comeback the next morning and teed off on 18. That would have been fair.

yea. That would have been ok too....probably a better option, but trying to get it in before it was pitch dark ended up being the right call....

IF is the key word

Jordan sums up that question perfectly when he says remember the shot I hit into 18 to win. If Jordan and dj were in the same group it wouldn't look like he choked it away. Would look like Jordan made birdie to win. Jordan hit a much harder approach into 18 to win. Dj has every advantage afforded to anyone ( length a 6 iron vs 3 wood approach and a short putt ) and with all that still couldn't pass Spieth.

If you're tryin to suggest his 3 majors are a fluke. Might want to pay attention . His brain has willed all 3 to being. None were soft cake walks. And he very nearly has Won Augusta thrice.

no. he earned pretty much everything but DJ handed him that one. That was a fluke win to me.....nobody expected DJ to three putt from 12 feet. I love Spieth too. great player

When Phil was Rory's age he was five years away from winning a major and had a reputation for never showing up in the big tournaments and only winning cupcake events like Phoenix or the Bob Hope or that Stableford one they used to have in Colorado. Heck, it was regarded as his big break through when he won a freakin Tour Championship, at the ripe old age of 30, after eight years on tour. That's what was considered his first big win--I remember the fawning press coverage well.

No doubt if golfwrx was around back then there would've been all sorts of threads about how mentally weak he was. And Phil turned out okay last I checked. Look up what Rory's done in his first eight years on tour. I think he'll turn out okay too.

Lets not rewrite history here. He won the 1996 world series of golf which was a WGC before those started and when he won the tour championship in 2000 he chased down Tiger on sunday and overtook him. He beat tiger in the year 2000 twice down the stretch. the fawning was justifiable because one guy won 3 majors and 9 times overall and phil won 4 times so taking down tiger on sunday was a big deal. thats the difference. When Phil got out of his own way and Tigers unmaintanable level dropped amid a swing change he took off in majors. Phil is 1000 times more resilient than Rory ever will be. As for how Phil would be treated we already know. he was a punching bag for the media until he won the big ones. Dan Jenkins openly mocked him many times.

That's my point. A lot of what people say about Rory on here reminds me of what the media said about Phil in the nascent-internet days. You know, a kind of goofy guy prone to saying dumb things, someone whose mental weakness prevents them from realizing the full extent of their unbelievable talent. Of course Phil used to get crap for being out of shape while Rory gets crap for working out too much, and Phil could only win on easy courses while it's soft courses for Rory.

BUT.

By age 29 Rory has won four majors, a bunch of money titles, a few scoring titles, and so on. By age 29 Phil had won the World Series of Golf.

I really don't see how I'm rewriting history about that. At the time the World Series of Golf win was seen as an aberration in his career (it was also the year before TW turned pro). It wasn't until four years later when he won the Tour Championship over TW that they started writing the 'Phil has arrived and has learned how to win the big ones' articles (again, keep in mind at that point he was a year older than Rory currently is). And then it took Phil another four years to win a major.

Phil had to compete with an aging Jack and up and coming Tiger. Rory could be dominating the Tour now as there isn't an equivalent Jack or Tiger in their prime to contend with today.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

yes, just like spieth handed willet his green jacket. You see how this works? it's golf.

I think that's the point people have been making for the most part.....

did we really just mention Willet as a Masters champion?

When Phil was Rory's age he was five years away from winning a major and had a reputation for never showing up in the big tournaments and only winning cupcake events like Phoenix or the Bob Hope or that Stableford one they used to have in Colorado. Heck, it was regarded as his big break through when he won a freakin Tour Championship, at the ripe old age of 30, after eight years on tour. That's what was considered his first big win--I remember the fawning press coverage well.

No doubt if golfwrx was around back then there would've been all sorts of threads about how mentally weak he was. And Phil turned out okay last I checked. Look up what Rory's done in his first eight years on tour. I think he'll turn out okay too.

Lets not rewrite history here. He won the 1996 world series of golf which was a WGC before those started and when he won the tour championship in 2000 he chased down Tiger on sunday and overtook him. He beat tiger in the year 2000 twice down the stretch. the fawning was justifiable because one guy won 3 majors and 9 times overall and phil won 4 times so taking down tiger on sunday was a big deal. thats the difference. When Phil got out of his own way and Tigers unmaintanable level dropped amid a swing change he took off in majors. Phil is 1000 times more resilient than Rory ever will be. As for how Phil would be treated we already know. he was a punching bag for the media until he won the big ones. Dan Jenkins openly mocked him many times.

That's my point. A lot of what people say about Rory on here reminds me of what the media said about Phil in the nascent-internet days. You know, a kind of goofy guy prone to saying dumb things, someone whose mental weakness prevents them from realizing the full extent of their unbelievable talent. Of course Phil used to get crap for being out of shape while Rory gets crap for working out too much, and Phil could only win on easy courses while it's soft courses for Rory.

BUT.

By age 29 Rory has won four majors, a bunch of money titles, a few scoring titles, and so on. By age 29 Phil had won the World Series of Golf.

I really don't see how I'm rewriting history about that. At the time the World Series of Golf win was seen as an aberration in his career (it was also the year before TW turned pro). It wasn't until four years later when he won the Tour Championship over TW that they started writing the 'Phil has arrived and has learned how to win the big ones' articles (again, keep in mind at that point he was a year older than Rory currently is). And then it took Phil another four years to win a major.

Phil had to compete with an aging Jack and up and coming Tiger. Rory could be dominating the Tour now as there isn't an equivalent Jack or Tiger in their prime to contend with today.

Tommy Fleetwood?

We all have our opinions on this.........I don't see him saying he does not care. Just that his life would not change either way. The guy has won 4 majors and numerous millions. Will his life change if he wins 5? 6? A couple more? No it will not. Does that mean he says he does not care to win more? No, he does not say that. The end of the first sentence tells me he wants to win more to reach his own version of his potential.

"He began: “If I didn’t win another Major for the rest of my career, nothing is going to change in my life whether I win one or not, but obviously I don’t feel like I’ll have fulfilled my potential.

“But at the same time, there are other things in my life that are more important than golf.”

To me that reeks of indifference. He'd like to win another Major but if he doesn't life is okay. Of course if Rory doesn't win a Major he will be okay but a true competitor imo doesn't make those kinds of obvious statements. I interpreted it as a basic concession that winning majors is no longer a top priority for him and that he wants us all to know it.

If my son told me his life will be okay if he doesn't get A's in college, we'd be having a discussion about what his real priorities are and why he's even bothering to go to college.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX