16 degree hybrids

Mukky

I have a cobra f7 3 wood that almost never comes out of my bag because I have no confidence with it. When I hit it well, it is a great 250 yard club, however I have no confidence with it. I may hit a huge slice, a duck hook, or just strip it. I have a cobra f7 3 hybrid set to 19.5 degrees that I love and have so much confidence with. I'm quite automatic with it from 210-230 out and outside of the occasional hook, nothing scares me about hitting this club. My question is, has anyone ditched the 3 wood for a low loft hybrid and what was your experience? Any that you would recommend? I saw tour edge makes the cbx in a 16 degree, has anyone played it?

I guess I am just sick of wasting a spot in my bag and I figured if I have so much confidence with a 19 degree hybrid, a 16 degree shouldn't be too much different, right?

I know I beat the "Kasco K2K is the greatest hybrid ever" horse to death (because it is...but that's another matter), but I have a K2K 22 and 33 that are 13* and 16* respectively and they are super easy to hit and plenty long.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I depend so much on my 3 wood for tee shots no, it’s too valuable to ditch. I do understand needing a long go to club for the fairway. Currently I’m trying to find that same club because the 5 wood is not giving me the distance I had expected and havent decided on a 17-18 degree wood.

Maybe this will get you started?

http://www.banggolf.com/prodgroup.asp?id=WH

I have a cobra f7 3 wood that almost never comes out of my bag because I have no confidence with it. When I hit it well, it is a great 250 yard club, however I have no confidence with it. I may hit a huge slice, a duck hook, or just strip it. I have a cobra f7 3 hybrid set to 19.5 degrees that I love and have so much confidence with. I'm quite automatic with it from 210-230 out and outside of the occasional hook, nothing scares me about hitting this club. My question is, has anyone ditched the 3 wood for a low loft hybrid and what was your experience? Any that you would recommend? I saw tour edge makes the cbx in a 16 degree, has anyone played it?

I guess I am just sick of wasting a spot in my bag and I figured if I have so much confidence with a 19 degree hybrid, a 16 degree shouldn't be too much different, right?

Right off the bat there buddy. First two sentences. You say you hit the 3 wood 250. Great, that is nearly PGA pro 3 wood distance. But then you say it often hooks and slices for you. Do you think you might be a little more accurate if you put an easier swing on that 3 wood? Make it 230-240 in the FW every time? I can hit my 3 wood 250 too, but I dont. Because its not very accurate when I do. A fairway wood requires smooth rythm and precision. The shaft is much longer than any in your bag, so a lot of the speed is already there. The face is pretty small and the ball is not tee'd up like with the driver, so you are working with millimeters for error. Try swinging a little easier so you can be more precise. I'll take an easy swing with a 3 wood over a maxed out hybrid any day.

Oh great, one of these threads.

"Hey, I hit a shorter, higher lofted club better. Should I replace my lower lofted three wood with a higher loft shorter hybrid? I'll hit it better probably!"

Yep, you'll hit better, more solid shots, higher, and shorter. Even mishits with the 3 wood go pretty far. If your goal is to not look bad, most people should rock the low lofted hybrid. If your goal is the lowest average score over time, the 3 wood.

Nobody ever says "man, this pitching wedge is so easy to hit. I'm going to replace my 4 iron with one." because they go different distances. So do a 17* hybrid and a 15* three wood.

The question isn't "which is easier to hit" we don't build bags that way (or else we wouldn't play low irons, we'd play nothing but pitching wedges of various OEMs) the question is "which will lead to the lowest score". Of course OP you hit the 19* 40" club better than the 15* 43" club. But if going to a 17* 41" club doesn't gap you how you need it, hitting prettier shots is irrelevant. Its like carrying an extra 5 iron because you have trouble hitting the four.

You "can't hit" your 15* 3 wood and you're "automatic" with your 19* hybrid. 4* of loft and an inch of shaft takes you from completely helpless to a killer. Do you think maybe your own head is making stuff up about how you play? Maybe its not that cut and dry? Maybe the words you are using to tell the narrative in your head is a little extreme?

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

"Hey, I hit a shorter, higher lofted club better. Should I replace my lower lofted three wood with a higher loft shorter hybrid? I'll hit it better probably!"

Yep, you'll hit better, more solid shots, higher, and shorter. Even mishits with the 3 wood go pretty far. If your goal is to not look bad, most people should rock the low lofted hybrid. If your goal is the lowest average score over time, the 3 wood.

Nobody ever says "man, this pitching wedge is so easy to hit. I'm going to replace my 4 iron with one." because they go different distances. So do a 17* hybrid and a 15* three wood.

The question isn't "which is easier to hit" we don't build bags that way (or else we wouldn't play low irons, we'd play nothing but pitching wedges of various OEMs) the question is "which will lead to the lowest score". Of course OP you hit the 19* 40" club better than the 15* 43" club. But if going to a 17* 41" club doesn't gap you how you need it, hitting prettier shots is irrelevant. Its like carrying an extra 5 iron because you have trouble hitting the four.

You "can't hit" your 15* 3 wood and you're "automatic" with your 19* hybrid. 4* of loft and an inch of shaft takes you from completely helpless to a killer. Do you think maybe your own head is making stuff up about how you play? Maybe its not that cut and dry? Maybe the words you are using to tell the narrative in your head is a little extreme?

It's a good point, but I don't know if it's that cut and dried for everyone. Part of it is about being able to put a good swing on a club and trust the results. A relatively small head on a relatively long shaft doesn't do that for everyone.

My 19* 816 notched down to 18* rolled out to 231 on a short par 4 when that was exactly the distance range I needed. Last weekend I absolutely had to step on it to get 270 yards on a par 5 approach. I failed, but I got to the fringe. The point was I felt like I could step on it, where I didn't feel that with my 3 wood. It stayed in the bag.

Both options are compelling for me. Ultimately it would come down to testing... How much yardage would I actually give up on a 16* hybrid vs. my 3 wood? How much more comfortable would I feel using it? I don't know the answer to that.

If I was completely accomplished at hitting a 3 wood of course none of this would matter. That is my goal, but I know I'm just not there yet.

It's a good point, but I don't know if it's that cut and dried for everyone.

Correct, it isn't. Its just that cut and dried for the vast, vast majority of players. But not literally 100%.

Part of it is about being able to put a good swing on a club and trust the results. A relatively small head on a relatively long shaft doesn't do that for everyone.

My 19* 816 notched down to 18* rolled out to 231 on a short par 4 when that was exactly the distance range I needed. Last weekend I absolutely had to step on it to get 270 yards on a par 5 approach. I failed, but I got to the fringe. The point was I felt like I could step on it, where I didn't feel that with my 3 wood. It stayed in the bag.

But this way of thinking avoids embarrassment, it doesn't lower scores. If you need a 231 shot and nothing higher, pull the 3 wood. If you need a 250 shot to get into the green complex of par 5s, don't. Its like pulling your 5 iron because your PW is better.

You don't build any other part of your bag this way (narrow a gap way down to make a club easier to hit). You shouldn't build this one that way either.

Ultimately it would come down to testing... How much yardage would I actually give up on a 16* hybrid vs. my 3 wood? How much more comfortable would I feel using it? I don't know the answer to that.

If I was completely accomplished at hitting a 3 wood of course none of this would matter. That is my goal, but I know I'm just not there yet.

If you don't know that answer, nothing in this thread can help you make this call. In three pages you've gone from "can't hit" i.e. 0% success rate to "not completely accomplished". How we talk to ourselves really matters. Its very likely you are exaggerating how bad you are with a 3 wood and how good you are with the 19* (or you are one of the most unique ball strikers on the entire planet).

Most of the time when people talk about pulling 3 wood (and we have one of these threads about every four days) its not because they hit it badly compared to their peers, its because they hit it badly compared to how they think they should hit it, which doesn't really matter. Its a fallacy and it hurts scores. Its the Charlie Hoffman fallacy.

In 2013 Hoffman told his coach that he likes to lay up to 110 yards because its his "best distance". His coach told him to get as close as possible. He followed his coach's advice, and went from 113th in par 5 scoring into the top 40. Hoffman was 16th on tour from 110 yards, hitting it to about 17 feet 5 inches on average. He was one of the worst on tour inside 50 feet, hitting it to 16 feet 1 inch on average.

From 110, 17 feet 5 inches is incredible as an average.

From inside 50, 16 feet 1 inch is an atrocious average, for a professional.

however, he *was still closer from inside 50* - it felt *to him* like he was worse from inside 50 because he was hitting worse shots - they sounded worse, they weren't as crisp, he was bad at them, and his peers were way better. But from 110 they sounded great, his peers said nice shot, they were crisp, etc... One problem:

The shots from inside 50 were worse shots by any metric except the one that matters - they finished closer to the hole.

So we don't really care how the contact is, or how the ball flight is, or how high it goes, or how embarrassing the sound is, or ny other BS. What matters is simply do you score better from the position the three wood leaves you in or the 17* hybrid leaves you in?

I'd be a lot of cash the 3 wood looks worse and scores better. But who knows. Everyone is different. I'd pump the brakes on the "if i go to a higher loft and shorter length I'll hit it more solid" train of thought because the word "score" isn't anywhere in that sentence. Don't be 2013 Hoffman and pick clubs and shots based on how they make you feel about yourself because you hit them square. Pick clubs based on the number they put on your card. And closer is (almost) always better.

Is it possible you have a magic line at 18* and 41.5" where you go from a completely incompetant ballstriker to a great one? Yes, its possible. Its incredibly unlikely.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Oh me, these last few posts crack me up. Very true though. In my experience when you get beyond 18* in a wood, it just doesn’t equate to the same loft in an iron. As I’ve mentioned before I was very disappointed in a 20* 5 wood. Yeah it looked great in flight but the end result was pitiful. You start getting all that spin involved with the added height and it just kills it.

The 16* hybrid that I tried was too demanding for me, but that had more to do with the clubhead just being too small for my skill level at the time. If you are comparing 16* woods and hybrids, the only reason that I could see you being more confident with the hybrid is simply due to shaft length, not the design of the club. If anything, a wood should give you more confidence because it's a bigger head. Have you ever tried shortening the shaft of the 3 wood? This could give you more confidence and distance than a 16* hybrid would.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

I just have too much variability in my 3 wood right now. Not confidence, not thoughts, but strike and results.

To your point, scoring matters. I took out my 3 wood once last week. The other three players convinced me that driver was too much to the water.

I could have backed off of my driver which I was striking well (why don't people back off of the driver more??)

I could have hit a hybrid (which I was also striking well) decently short of the water and left myself a good distance in.

Instead I took the 3 wood and flubbed it 100 yards. Hit short of the water with an 8i. Saved myself with a 60* to 6 feet and a 1-putt, which is unlike me.

I think your point about club selection (e.g. 5i vs. PW) is a really good one... I just think that testing may determine that we're talking about two slightly different clubs that largely achieve the same ends...

I 100% agree that scoring is all that really matters and that style points count for nothing. But that is exactly why I don't carry a 3w. Objectively, it hurt my scores.

@pinestreetgolf - I do also completely agree with you on the Charlie Hoffman story. I've never bought into the "lay it up to your best full club distance" nonsense. Get it as close as you safely can. Even guys I play with that are "bad" at partial club distances get it closer to the hole than they would if they were significantly farther out with a full club.

Is it possible you have a magic line at 18* and 41.5"

Heavily parsed quote alert :)

When 3 wood discussions come up, I'm always reminded of something from a fellow golf nerd, that he's posted several times on one forum, possibly/likely others. In Ye Olde Days, people carried 3 and 5 woods, or maybe 3 and 4 woods (or all three), on top of their driver. Some would carry only the 3 wood (and then there's Trevino and his 6w).

The lofts of those clubs were 17° for the 3w, 20° for the 4w, and 23° for the 5w. By the 80s, that migrated forward to 16/19/22 for the 3/4/5.

The point, a 13° or 14° was a 2 wood, few carried one. Some who did used it as a driver, because they couldn't get a decent trajectory from an 11° driver.

On top of that, the 3w was 42" long, before creeping to 42.5".

It's not really a surprise that some will have issues hitting a 43" 14° fairway wood. It's always been that way. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I just have too much variability in my 3 wood right now. Not confidence, not thoughts, but strike and results.

To your point, scoring matters. I took out my 3 wood once last week. The other three players convinced me that driver was too much to the water.

I could have backed off of my driver which I was striking well (why don't people back off of the driver more??)

I could have hit a hybrid (which I was also striking well) decently short of the water and left myself a good distance in.

Instead I took the 3 wood and flubbed it 100 yards. Hit short of the water with an 8i. Saved myself with a 60* to 6 feet and a 1-putt, which is unlike me.

I think your point about club selection (e.g. 5i vs. PW) is a really good one... I just think that testing may determine that we're talking about two slightly different clubs that largely achieve the same ends...

I don’t think you’re conclusion is wrong. I just think the way you phrased the question - “should I replace this club I can’t hit with one I’m automatic with” - is a bit extreme. We tend to talk to ourselves like that in this game and it’s unlikely to be true.

It may well be possible you should replace it. Just be careful your brain isn’t turning memories of reality (which is usually very grey) into a nicely-wrapped narrative.

Your three wood cost you a stroke in that story. But what about the tenth of a stroke you saved by hitting it 15 yards closer to 45 instead of 60 on that par 5? You don’t remember that, usually.

We remember extremes and therefore we tend to be overly negative on clubs that can produce extremely poor results (driver, 3 wood) and overly positive on clubs that never are awful (but arnt making eagles either).

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I don’t think you’re conclusion is wrong. I just think the way you phrased the question - “should I replace this club I can’t hit with one I’m automatic with” - is a bit extreme. We tend to talk to ourselves like that in this game and it’s unlikely to be true.

It may well be possible you should replace it. Just be careful your brain isn’t turning memories of reality (which is usually very grey) into a nicely-wrapped narrative.

Your three wood cost you a stroke in that story. But what about the tenth of a stroke you saved by hitting it 15 yards closer to 45 instead of 60 on that par 5? You don’t remember that, usually.

We remember extremes and therefore we tend to be overly negative on clubs that can produce extremely poor results (driver, 3 wood) and overly positive on clubs that never are awful (but arnt making eagles either).

Another good point, and I agree it’s not that black and white.

I always get along with a 3 wood eventually, but it can take me a good part of the initial season to get there.

Also, I think there will always be factor that a shorter shafted club will always be statistically more consistent for a guy like me with a ‘talent gap’.

It ultimately comes down to some testing, though, and - to your point - whether they accomplish the same task. Either way I’m going to take my 3W out more in practice rounds and see if I can get my course swing down with it vs. the range where it works well.

Can always try a M3 or 818h2 17 degree and turn it down to 16-16.25

My 2 favorite options

The 818 doesn't turn down to 16.25 unless you are using a 915 adapter. 818 adapters are in 1 degree increments. They can go 1 strong or 1 or 2 weak. Keep in mind that it also open and closes the face depending on the setting. Most people think that a 17 degree and 19 degree both turned to 18 degrees is the same. Its not. the 17 degree turned to 18 is .5 degrees closed while the 19 degree turned to 18 sits 2 degrees open. All info per Titleist.

So, keep in mind when using an 818 17 and turning it to 16 that it will sit 2 degrees open. As a result, the same shaft as in your other hybrid may not perform exactly the same.

David Toms won a PGA Major laying up lol

I 100% agree that scoring is all that really matters and that style points count for nothing. But that is exactly why I don't carry a 3w. Objectively, it hurt my scores.

@pinestreetgolf - I do also completely agree with you on the Charlie Hoffman story. I've never bought into the "lay it up to your best full club distance" nonsense. Get it as close as you safely can. Even guys I play with that are "bad" at partial club distances get it closer to the hole than they would if they were significantly farther out with a full club.

Modern era.

Majors won laying up on a par 4: 2 (Tom Kite also did it to win his US Open)

Majors won not laying up on a par 4: roughly 88

EDIT -

Kite and Toms are two of the best wedge players in the history of the PGA Tour. If you are as good as they are please feel free to disregard my posts and lay up to a specific yardage.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

One major vindicates above all the numbers you can spit out.

How many majors does Charlie have?

Modern era.

Major won laying up on a par 4: 1

Majors won not laying up on a par 4: roughly 88

Koepka took on a 290 yard-ish forced carry to win at Erin Hills. The next time i'm faced with a dogleg, I'm going to try to hit it 290 in the air. After all, it won a major!

Toms is a historically good wedge player. Neither you nor Hoffman should try to copy him. He can do it. You can't.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Lol right over your head!!!

Your Hoffman argument was weak to begin with and now your dismissing the guy.

Don’t tell people how to set up their bag or how to play because Charlie goes for the green lol.

Your a contradicting know it all.

Dude wants to ditch a 3 wood for a long hybrid, let it be.

Hell, Mickelson carried two drivers at one point. You want to dismiss him for his bag set up and play?

Didn’t Lydia Ko win a major playing an 18th par 5 in 3 shots?

Didn’t Paddy Harrington at Carnoustie laying up some where?

Did Spieth play a par 4 weirdly in Chambers Bay.

Tiger hits two irons at the open.

I can go on.....many ways to skin a cat.

Koepka took on a 290 yard-ish forced carry to win at Erin Hills. The next time i'm faced with a dogleg, I'm going to try to hit it 290 in the air. After all, it won a major!

Toms is a historically good wedge player. Neither you nor Hoffman should try to copy him. He can do it. You can't.

[media=]

[/media]

Don’t tell people how to set up their bag or how to play because Charlie goes for the green lol.

Hell, Mickelson carried two drivers at one point. You want to dismiss him for his bag set up and play?

Didn’t Lydia Ko win a major playing an 18th par 5 in 3 shots?

Didn’t Paddy Harrington at Carnoustie laying up some where?

FWIW I think PSG was playing 2 drivers at one time because driving is *that* important.

Edit: not meant as a dig. I personally think driving is *that* important.

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

anybody hitting a titleist 816 h1 in 17 degrees? If so how do you like it, and how is it on mishits?

No direct experience, but H2 19* adjusted to 18* is super friendly on mishits, so I imagine the H1 at 17* has got to be a great club.

I have a 19 H2 and a 23 H1, both with white boards, and I have no desire to change either. Absolute steals on eBay.

If I could find a legit hybrid at 15 degrees I would ditch the 3 wood. No problems lofting hybrids and in fact I can almost hit my 17 degree Ping as far as my 3 wood.

Ping G425 LST 9 Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec
Ping G425 LST 3 wood KBS TD Cat 4 
G 410 17 Hybrid KBS Proto 75X
PXG Gen2 0311T MMT 80
Vokey SM6 48F-50F-58L
Lajosi DD201

anybody hitting a titleist 816 h1 in 17 degrees? If so how do you like it, and how is it on mishits?

I had one and hated it. It spun too much for me. I could hit the 816 19 degree just as far as the 17 because of the spin. Plus, its more of sweeper's (Fairway wood) hybrid. I prefer more of a digger (iron) hybrid which is why the 818 H2 is perfect for me.

Hope his helps.

Don't tell people how to set up their bag or how to play because Charlie goes for the green lol.

Didn't Lydia Ko win a major playing an 18th par 5 in 3 shots?

Didn't Paddy Harrington at Carnoustie laying up some where?

Yep, I play two drivers when the rounds matter (8* and 13*). I'm not good enough off the tee with a 3 wood, so I cut a low iron to play a second driver and wood off the ground.

The OP asked for advice and I gave my opinion. Its not that I don't want him switching 3 wood for 3 hybrid. I could care less. But you can hear in how he talks about his three wood and his hybrid ("can't hit" versus "automatic") that emotion is clouding his conclusions about how he does with each club. Nobody has that big a spread between 15 and 17 degrees.

I think patterning your game after one of the best wedge players of all time is sub-optimal. You think its smart. No problem, the OP can sort it out and decide for himself. That's the point of a golf forum.

You also misunderstood my point. I have zero issue with laying up. I think its dumb to lay up *to a specific yardage* (which nobody in your examples did). Toms didn't lay up to "120", he hit it as close to the water as he was comfortable doing. That's the point of the Hoffman story.

Paddy did not lay up at Carnoustie to win. He laid up his tee shot short of the Burn, not his green complex shot (shot 2 on the par 4) short of the green. In men's major golf, its happened twice in about 45 years (Kite and Toms).

There are indeed plenty of ways to skin a cat. One of those ways is to bet on your wedge play when you are one of the best five wedge players in history (Note: I'm assuming the OP is not David Toms in his prime from 90 yards). You seem to think its a good idea to pattern your Saturday game after some of the best short game players ever trying to protect a lead on the last hole of a major. That seems like a ridiculous approach, to me.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S