2018 Aberdeen Standard Investments Ladies Scottish Open Jul 26-29

Ariya needs to stay at the top of the rankings for a little while at least. She is the by far best player in the game. Besides the big wins, she has not missed a cut all year. Inbee is my hero and I don't know how numbers work but come on, that ranking seems so inflated. Ariya been in contention, like every week for the past two years it seems like.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ariya needs to stay at the top of the rankings for a little while at least. She is the by far best player in the game. Besides the big wins, she has not missed a cut all year. Inbee is my hero and I don't know how numbers work but come on, that ranking seems so inflated. Ariya been in contention, like every week for the past two years it seems like.

Rankings don't lie; this time last year, Ariya missed 7 cuts out of 8 tournaments.

For Ariya's chip on 18, it was interesting to see that she did NOT wipe off the blades of wet grass from her wedge after taking a couple of practice strokes.

I don't know if it was on purpose, but it might have been the right move because instead of checking up, she got some extra roll right up near the pin.

^Hopefully Joel Dahmen is busy golfing today and not watching or he might take to Twitter and call Ariya a cheater ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Well, not gonna be unhappy about what could have been. Gonna be happy about what did happen. Happy for Tiffany's top 10, and those were a glorious first two days. Had a big smile the whole time just knowing about it!

Lots of other stuff to be happy about in the rankings too. And we did get some wind struggles, especially on Saturday.

mnmlist, that is a very interesting detail point. I didn't think Ariya would do such subtle calculation...

Rankings don't lie; this time last year, Ariya missed 7 cuts out of 8 tournaments.

Not sure what is meant by "rankings don't lie" but Ariya also had more wins and more top tens than the current number one player over the last two years. In our particular case, there is a lot of truth that the rankings don't cover. Ariya had a bad spell last year but still is the best player over the entire period in question.

At the end of the day the world rankings is simply a metric of average points earned per event. I'm not dismissing it, usually it tells quite a bit. But in this case it's a little distorted. Ariya played bad for a short but isolated period, and Inbee's divisor is very low.

Not sure what is meant by "rankings don't lie" but Ariya also had more wins and more top tens than the current number one player over the last two years. In our particular case, there is a lot of truth that the rankings don't cover. Ariya had a bad spell last year but still is the best player over the entire period in question.

At the end of the day the world rankings is simply a metric of average points earned per event. I'm not dismissing it, usually it tells quite a bit. But in this case it's a little distorted. Ariya played bad for a short but isolated period, and Inbee's divisor is very low.

Ariya wasn't "playing bad", she was injured.

Watched bits and pieces of all 4 days, and I was struck by the low number of spectators on the course. I thought Sunday would be different, but it still looked like players, officials and volunteers outnumbered spectators. Those grandstands around 18 were just sad looking.

I guess the Scottish golf world is not exactly on fire yet for the LPGA/LET.

Minjee, Minjee, Minjee. She's going to be replaying that putt on 18 in her head for a while. She certainly had her chances, but the putts just wouldn't fall.

That said, Ariya has one of the best short games in the game. Incredibly soft hands. Congrats on a solid win, and reclaiming the World #1. I have to agree with the announcers, she's definitely playing the best golf at this time.

Amy is an enigma. She simply can't go low on Sunday unless she's out of contention.

A very nice week for Jin Young. She should be considered a favorite next week at the WBO.

I'm sure Tiffany would like to forget yesterday's round. She had a great week.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

^Hopefully Joel Dahmen is busy golfing today and not watching or he might take to Twitter and call Ariya a cheater ;)

Okay, what's this all about?

I assume its since she took a few practice swings with her wedge and didnt clean the club off when she went to go hit the ball with some grass/water/dirt on the wedge, probably hoping for more run and no check on the ball from the lie she had.

Found highlights and its linked to show her final chip and practice swings.

I really dont have an opinion if its cheating or not, as it could have gone poorly as much as it helped.

Okay, what's this all about?

I assume its since she took a few practice swings with her wedge and didnt clean the club off when she went to go hit the ball with some grass/water/dirt on the wedge, probably hoping for more run and no check on the ball from the lie she had.

Found highlights and its linked to show her final chip and practice swings.

I really dont have an opinion if its cheating or not, as it could have gone poorly as much as it helped.

The practice swings are to develop a muscle memory that one then hopes to repeat when hitting the ball. Personally, if I stop to clean the club face i pretty much erase what I have been trying to learn, and then need to start over! So, I don't. Usually, one wipe, one more practice swing, and then hit it. But then, i am a 47 handicapper whose worst game aspect is chipping. What do I know?

I'm a big fan of links golf, but the course was a real letdown. The announcers kept mentioning the elevation changes, but TV does a poor job of showing elevation. We were left with a drab piece of terrain that had few recognizable landmarks. Maybe that's why the director kept cutting to a view across the Firth of Forth. The shots should have been subtitled "We should be over there."

With so many iconic courses in Scotland, I hope they can get a few memorable layouts into the rotation.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I said it before and I'll say it again...just imagine if Ariya had confidence in her driver...

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I said it before and I'll say it again...just imagine if Ariya had confidence in her driver...

Heck, even if she took it out of the bag 4 or 5 times a round on holes with little danger off the tee she'd have the edge on the vast majority of players. Get a 10.0 degree low spin driver w/ a 44.5 in shaft, set it for 9.0 degrees to open the clubface, and swing away.

Forgot to give a shout out to Haeji. A 3T after missing 4 cuts in her past 5 starts is quite a bounceback.

Jacqui is probably the hottest American player at the moment. She has 4 top 10's in her last 5 starts. Of course, she also has 3 missed cuts in the past 7 starts. Feast or famine, she's definitely trending in the right direction.

Speaking of Americans, there are currently no Americans in the top 10 in CME points. Brittany L is 11th. After a fast start in the early part of the season, the play has definitely fizzled.

I'm a big fan of links golf, but the course was a real letdown. The announcers kept mentioning the elevation changes, but TV does a poor job of showing elevation. We were left with a drab piece of terrain that had few recognizable landmarks. Maybe that's why the director kept cutting to a view across the Firth of Forth. The shots should have been subtitled "We should be over there."

With so many iconic courses in Scotland, I hope they can get a few memorable layouts into the rotation.

They only had a couple hours of coverage and focused on the same handful of holes coming down the stretch, so it's going to get repetitive.

Did you watch the men at Gullane a couple weeks ago?

Gullane has a lot more going for it than Dundonald last year and Archerfield before it.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

No, I was out of town when the men were at Gullane. You are right that the coverage did only show a few holes.

Forgot to give a shout out to Haeji. A 3T after missing 4 cuts in her past 5 starts is quite a bounceback.

Jacqui is probably the hottest American player at the moment. She has 4 top 10's in her last 5 starts. Of course, she also has 3 missed cuts in the past 7 starts. Feast or famine, she's definitely trending in the right direction.

Speaking of Americans, there are currently no Americans in the top 10 in CME points. Brittany L is 11th. After a fast start in the early part of the season, the play has definitely fizzled.

There is no drive. No "want it" in American Ladies Golf. The stalwarts are literally invisible. IMO, there is a changing of the guard. The problem is, there is no one who is taking the mantle and no one seemingly putting the work in to challenge the dominate golfers in the Top 10. Dare I say that they're just not that competitive.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I wouldn't go that far. The results speak for themselves, but I have to imagine that Lexi, Jessica, Nelly, Michelle, Danielle, and Lizette all put in long hours. They're certainly not the only players that have had middling results lately. Shanshan and Anna both have been in a funk. Brooke has been up and down since her win at the Lotte, and has fallen to 16th in the World.

The youngest Americans, Angel, Nelly, Brittany A, Megan, Austin, Mariah don't seem to be making any headway, though. Annie and Jacqui have improved, but still have a long way to go to be considered top tier players. Emma is just getting started.

She's so hot, she's smoking.

LgGZ3wZ.png

Finally, after all these year we have a smoking gun.

I wouldn't go that far. The results speak for themselves, but I have to imagine that Lexi, Jessica, Nelly, Michelle, Danielle, and Lizette all put in long hours.

Yes the results speak for themselves alright, Lexi, Jessica, Nelly,Michelle, Danielle and Lizette have a total of 19 top tens amongst them all, Ariya has 11 by herself.

Ariya has 3 wins , the six Americans have 2. I hate dissing on the Americans, but damn girls, get in it gear!