PXG 0311 performance compared to I series

SwooshLT

Don't take the bait on the cost discussion concerning PXG, just ignore it and move on. I had 1gen PXG and I liked them. I think my shaft fit was incorrect. I just ordered the I210. I really like the feel and for me the less busy backend of the club is easier for me to look at. Not a hater just a preference. I did see a guy at the range the other day with the darkness irons and they looked really good.

I really don't think you can make a bad decision either way.

No matter what kind of testing you do they are all pretty equal in terms of forgiveness, feel, distance as yes to some this brand or that brand may edge out the other but the same thing will always get mentioned, why would you pay 3X the price for the PXG over PING, Mizuno, Callaway or TM, seriously. It's for those who want something different than what anyone else has or can afford that's all there is about PXG. Every brand out there is pretty much max'ed out so don't be surprised if you don't find PXG leaps and bonds better than the other major brands out there. I'd like to know how may people spend $125 on an iron fitting or $250 plus on a complete set fitting and walk away keeping what they have. Once people commit to spend money on a fitting are not about to get talked out of not buying.

Typical PXG Hater post, first thing OP stated was "disregarding price". By now everyone on planet earth knows PXG's cost more so get over it. And what you decide to spend your money on has nothing to do with anyone else here, including myself.

Now back to the OP's question. Everything you asked is subjective based on a person's skill level and own senses. For me there wasn't a lot of difference, the GEN 1's did feel better to me and definitely look better. The Gen 2's feel even better than the Gen 1's if you ever decide to go that route.

Either way you can't go wrong, both are great sets of clubs and based on your hcp there probably won't be much difference in scores.

Were you not paying attention to what I said, apparently not. There was nothing said that made it sound as if I was a PXG Hater now was there. I've never seen more people try to defend their purchase when someone does mention their cost. We all know they are expensive but I don't care how you or anyone else out there spends their money. I really wasn't that impressed with them as I know maybe I needed to play several rounds with them as I only hit a friends on a few holes as he even said he's glad he still kept his Mizuno's, so don't fool yourself by saying they are leaps and bounds better than their competition as that would only make it sound like your trying to justify the cost. So let's be real and quite accusing people of being PXG Haters especially when or if they mention how much they cost.

I also served in the military with the 1/75th Infantry Airborne Rangers and if I were to use the Hero's program I would want the newest equipment that just came out not something that is already being replaced by something newer and better. Whatever it takes for people to be able to afford a set of PXG's than go for it thru this program but if Bob really cared he would offer that program for anything that has PXG stamped on it.

But now you sound greedy......just because there is a newer model, doesn't mean gen 1 is horrible or unplayable.....and to add, you NOW sound like a hater with this statement

FYI Ive hit the Gen1 compared to the Gen2 and I didnt see a big difference in dispersion and maybe 1-3 yards difference in distance. Frankly the Gen1 hold up to anything currently on market and at the Heroes price you cant beat it. I have a feeling until Gen1 inventory is gone this will cut into other companies iron sales. Smart move on Parsons part get a ton more people into PXG and then at some point will upgrade.

You may not see a big difference between the 2 just like you may not see a big difference between PXG and other major brands out there. Oh about feelings it's the other way around as other major companies have already cut into the sales of the PXG or Parson's wouldn't have tried to sue TM and too bad he failed. About the Hero's program as that program should be for all PXG equipment not just on Gen 1's, thats if his major concern is getting more people in PXG equipment. It's just helping people out there who don't want to spend the full price on the Gen 2's which is telling you and me both what as I don't need to say now do I. This was quoted from another Forum member as I would have to agree 100% Has anyone else noticed how reviews on PXG change depending on price paid? When people are paying full price for the PXG, that they say they are greatest thing since sliced bread. Compare that to when people get them at a discounted rate that is more in line with other irons. Then, you begin to hear how they may not be the greatest thing since sliced bread and how they may not be better than other options out there.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

• 2 weeks later...

Disregarding price, are the 0311 irons in the ballpark with i-series concerning launch, forgiveness and spin? I've hit the new i210 and just couldn't get over the ease of strike, launch and forgiveness.....

Gen 1 heroes program is how I'm leaning ....this is why the thread was created .... feedback please!

I'm the OP and after nearly a month with an i210 demo head 7i, I finally got my PXG combo set in....it took 2 shots to see that for me , PXG was going to be it....

1st hole, left with 160yds to the pin, I swung the i210 .....mind you I had no warmup but it was a weak strike..... I then hit PXG 0311 7i and was left with a 15ft birdie effort! Hmmmmm

The 5th hole , again having 161 to pin but into and across with the breeze.....I hit a solid PXG 7i to 18ft.....playing by myself, I drove up and grabbed the ball proceeded back to the spot in fairway to hit same shot, same ball. Made a solid strike and it looked great in the air but sadly the i210 barely made to front of the green. As a confirmation, I hit one more PXG from same distance and ended up very near the first one.... for reference point, the PXG lofts are weak to match the i210 7i 33* of loft so no advantage.

I hit 16/18 greens in the debut round with PXG and not all were buttoned....for my needs, the flight is high and gorgeous!

Irons are much larger than expected.... 0311 are more like a G series from Ping where the 0311T are bigger than iblade, ap2 or s55 ....more in line with I series....

The feel is different, muted but still felt toe strikes without that jarring sensation.

I gained 10yds of carry over my previous gamers; Psi forged tour with PX LZ.....those are far more blade like with thin soles and not much help.

If anyone has questions ,fire away! I'll gladly give limited input about PXG irons

Disregarding price, are the 0311 irons in the ballpark with i-series concerning launch, forgiveness and spin? I've hit the new i210 and just couldn't get over the ease of strike, launch and forgiveness.....

Gen 1 heroes program is how I'm leaning ....this is why the thread was created .... feedback please!

I'm the OP and after nearly a month with an i210 demo head 7i, I finally got my PXG combo set in....it took 2 shots to see that for me , PXG was going to be it....

1st hole, left with 160yds to the pin, I swung the i210 .....mind you I had no warmup but it was a weak strike..... I then hit PXG 0311 7i and was left with a 15ft birdie effort! Hmmmmm

The 5th hole , again having 161 to pin but into and across with the breeze.....I hit a solid PXG 7i to 18ft.....playing by myself, I drove up and grabbed the ball proceeded back to the spot in fairway to hit same shot, same ball. Made a solid strike and it looked great in the air but sadly the i210 barely made to front of the green. As a confirmation, I hit one more PXG from same distance and ended up very near the first one.... for reference point, the PXG lofts are weak to match the i210 7i 33* of loft so no advantage.

I hit 16/18 greens in the debut round with PXG and not all were buttoned....for my needs, the flight is high and gorgeous!

Irons are much larger than expected.... 0311 are more like a G series from Ping where the 0311T are bigger than iblade, ap2 or s55 ....more in line with I series....

The feel is different, muted but still felt toe strikes without that jarring sensation.

I gained 10yds of carry over my previous gamers; Psi forged tour with PX LZ.....those are far more blade like with thin soles and not much help.

If anyone has questions ,fire away! I'll gladly give limited input about PXG irons

Swoosh, how are the modus shafts? I got the modus 120 in mine. Which get here Wednesday.

I actually went with regular flex steel fibers. I am a little concerned about that. I actually called Aerotek and spoke to one of the techs. He was 108 mph driver swing speed in plays regular. He insisted that I not hard step or soft step as the tip stiffness gets out of hand.

I am a 101 mph driver swing speed and have played regular CFS chefs in my pings hard step twice for years. But straight regular shifts have me concerned. I have about 13 days before I see my PXG irons

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I actually went with regular flex steel fibers. I am a little concerned about that. I actually called Aerotek and spoke to one of the techs. He was 108 mph driver swing speed in plays regular. He insisted that I not hard step or soft step as the tip stiffness gets out of hand.

I am a 101 mph driver swing speed and have played regular CFS chefs in my pings hard step twice for years. But straight regular shifts have me concerned. I have about 13 days before I see my PXG irons

I got Steelfiber i95 regular flex on my order they are supposed to play a little stiffer to flex. I hit them in a 765 and they felt great. Heck way I figured no upcharge for graphite so why not? If I dont like have Modus or C taper lite I can put in.

Also I dont see people saying theyre not performers base on price paid. Heck for Heroes its down to $125 an iron. Its smart for PXG get more clubs into players bags may be cannibalizing some Gen2 sales but have to think

Gen1 inventory should be gone soon. And youre cutting military a deal. I was suprised they opened up Gen1 to everyone. In RH the 0311

Wedges are out of stock.

Yeah I have problems with tennis elbow. Need surgery, but refuse. Been playing Arthur Xytreme golf shafts, the Xcaliber ones and haven’t had nearly the pain. So at no up charge for Steelfibers that was a done deal for me. Hope the regulars do indeed play stiff to flex.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Swoosh, how are the modus shafts? I got the modus 120 in mine. Which get here Wednesday.

Hey Justin.....the 105 stiff isn't that stiff but has a different feel than 120.....I tried 120 a few years back and liked them but the 105 has allowed me to be more aggressive with its construction....tighter in butt section... both are widely used by Tour and Ams alike!

I got Steelfiber i95 regular flex on my order they are supposed to play a little stiffer to flex. I hit them in a 765 and they felt great. Heck way I figured no upcharge for graphite so why not? If I dont like have Modus or C taper lite I can put in.

Also I dont see people saying theyre not performers base on price paid. Heck for Heroes its down to $125 an iron. Its smart for PXG get more clubs into players bags may be cannibalizing some Gen2 sales but have to think

Gen1 inventory should be gone soon. And youre cutting military a deal. I was suprised they opened up Gen1 to everyone. In RH the 0311

Wedges are out of stock.

Sneds, Kuch and Freddie Cool all use i95 iirc.... I've only hit them once .....SSFranny suggested this to me AFTER my order was placed and a great idea to get and try.....I'm completely happy with modus 105 but this would have be the opportunity to step outside my comfort zone

Thanks swoosh, yeah I never hit the modus 120s but through the quote on quote PXG online fitter this is what it recommended. I said why not. In my P770s I play the KBS FLT 120 so probably won’t be that much different. I swing pretty hard and have always liked a heavier shaft.

Really close to kbs but smoother if you can believe it!

Hybrid is money!

What shaft did you go with?

• 1 year later...

So I have the 0311gen 1 right now, and I do notice something different about them as a generalization. I’ve played many of the big player offerings (apex, epic pro, jpx, etc). The thing that stands out to me about the PXG is despite the low lofts, they launch crazy high and spin a ton, like in the real spin numbers you’d like to see. A 6 iron is spinning 6k, a 7 is spinning 7k. With the same shafts, the epic pros for example would be spinning down in the 4K range. And yes, while that did get more distance, on the real course that was uncontrollable. Everything would end up off the back of the green.

I’m surprised this doesn’t get talked about more.

> @clinkinfo said:

> So I have the 0311gen 1 right now, and I do notice something different about them as a generalization. I’ve played many of the big player offerings (apex, epic pro, jpx, etc). The thing that stands out to me about the PXG is despite the low lofts, they launch crazy high and spin a ton, like in the real spin numbers you’d like to see. A 6 iron is spinning 6k, a 7 is spinning 7k. With the same shafts, the epic pros for example would be spinning down in the 4K range. And yes, while that did get more distance, on the real course that was uncontrollable. Everything would end up off the back of the green.

>

> I’m surprised this doesn’t get talked about more.

Agreed. Another thing a lot of PXG critics do not consider is that the manufacturing cost is higher. Not only because of the extra work and detail in the weighted screw system, but also because they do not make as many sets as other manufacturers. I don't begrudge PXG for the business model. But after my recent experience with them and several other people's, my issue is that if you want to charge a premium price based on quality and uniqueness, you had better deliver on your promise of better quality and attention to detail. My set off irons was so far off spec it was almost comical. So then the issue becomes that the rest of the industry does not want to adjust or repair PXG clubs, and you have no confidence that PXG will do the job correctly on the first attempt.