Playing Torrey Pines South Course - Any Advice?

Playing Torrey Pines South This Weekend as a single. Any advice? Should I walk with a Caddy or Ride? What tees should I play?

I'm actually super pumped first time playing golf in California.

Any must buys from the pro shop?

Haven't read the other posts but prepare to get your a** kicked. It's not an easy track even when the rough is "short".

I rode when I played there as a single - as did the other three dudes.

I played the furthest back tees allowed (several of the tournament tees are closed to the public). I did this because I'm a glutton for punishment.

The pro shop is big and they have all kinds of merch - overpriced like any good pro shop ;)

Lots of Naval activity in La Jolla so don't be alarmed when F-18s or F-14 go screaming by overhead all throughout the course.

He already played and did not have a good time. :-(

As far as riding goes, I've played there over a hundred times and walked every time.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully though my experience was a one off because I certainly do not mean or intend to rain on your parade. Playing Top 100 or PGA courses is always a fun experience. I just find for some reason that they do not seem to be warm and fuzzy to tourists who flock to play the course.

I am playing Firestone south on labor day weekend and I have heard that it is grossly overrated and good luck getting any service there. I am still playing and I will let the forum know how it was.

Just curious what "service" you need.

People welcoming you, smiling, being pleasant, answering questions like you care (just a little bit) - things like that.

Well, I get that kind of service every time I'm there. But I guess everyone has a bad day once in a while.

Playing Torrey Pines South This Weekend as a single. Any advice? Should I walk with a Caddy or Ride? What tees should I play?

Haven't read the other posts but prepare to get your a** kicked. It's not an easy track even when the rough is "short".

I played the furthest back tees allowed (several of the tournament tees are closed to the public). I did this because I'm a glutton for punishment.

The pro shop is big and they have all kinds of merch - overpriced like any good pro shop ;)

Lots of Naval activity in La Jolla so don't be alarmed when F-18s or F-14 go screaming by overhead all throughout the course.

As far as riding goes, I've played there over a hundred times and walked every time.

Should have read the thread. Fail.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Should have read the thread. Fail.

Don't be too hard on yourself! Have a beverage, it'll be fine. :-)

The amount of Hatorade for TP South is sad to see. For me personally I am not traveling half way across the country to try and save 75 dollars for the inferior course with inconsistent (new) greens. I would spend my entire round disappointed because I would be on the property of, but not the same course as, one of the greatest feats in sports history where a one legged legend found a way to win a 90 hole US Open.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

The amount of Hatorade for TP South is sad to see. For me personally I am not traveling half way across the country to try and save 75 dollars for the inferior course with inconsistent (new) greens. I would spend my entire round disappointed because I would be on the property of, but not the same course as, one of the greatest feats in sports history where a one legged legend found a way to win a 90 hole US Open.

91 holes

I’m curious, have you played the course? I was completely underwhelmed by the course. Maybe it is from growing up in San Diego and have already been exposed to that stretch of coastline.

It was cool having seen the holes on TV and the course is is almost always in great/spectacular shape. But the layout to me is average at best. Just because the course has some golf history doesn’t make it great. It’s not in my Top 10 by a wide margin.

Yes. I played it 5 days ago for the first time. Everybody prioritizes different characteristics when grading a golf course, if lush green grass and great conditioning is important to you than the course I played 5 days ago would get a poor grade. I personally prefer courses that are dried out and require control of the golf ball on the ground in addition to in the air.

its been a week since i played it and I'm more upset now that I was a week ago

It was extremely expensive.

The service sucked - i asked if I could play a bit earlier and they scoffed. Ok fine but no need to belittle.

The conditions were horrible.

The Round was incredibly slow.

The only memorable hole was #3.

I played with a 4 some and one of the players had a "caddie" - after the 2nd hole the caddie started hitting shots as well because it was so slow.

Did I mention it was unbearably slow???

TP was by far the worst high end course I've ever played.

2024 Bag TBD

The service sucked - i asked if I could play a bit earlier and they scoffed. Ok fine but no need to belittle.

I played with a 4 some and one of the players had a "caddie" - after the 2nd hole the caddie started hitting shots as well because it was so slow.

I was fortunate, I got around in under 4.5 hours and paid the twilight rate. So your two biggest gripes I was lucky enough to avoid. As for the service they were not exactly warm and fuzzy, the starter was atleast cool. As far as conditions I didnt find them bad at all, the Poa had grown out later in the day so nobody was able to make a putt from distance but that is not just a TP issue. I have certainly played courses in better conditions in a scramble at a local housing development course, but I certainly have not played one as demanding every single shot as I experienced at Torrey. Yes it is "wide open" but the fairways are not real wide and hitting the correct portion of the green out of the rough is difficult, so you can make a lot of pars while driving erratically but you cannot make a lot of birdies.

Had I paid $250 and had a 6 hour round I can guarantee I would have been unhappy heading back to the hotel as well.

Was the caddie hot...? I assume it’s one of those kinds of caddies...

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Was the caddie hot...? I assume it's one of those kinds of caddies...

he was 90.

2024 Bag TBD

Was listening to the No Laying Up podcast with Zac Blair. His father is a course designer and he loves course design. He was asked what course the PGA Tour plays that is the worst. His answer.... Torrey Pines South.

Interesting. Anyone know what's bad about the design? Maybe the views distracted me but I enjoyed most holes out there, not all but most.

The course was in great shape when i was there as well.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Was listening to the No Laying Up podcast with Zac Blair. His father is a course designer and he loves course design. He was asked what course the PGA Tour plays that is the worst. His answer.... Torrey Pines South.

Interesting. Anyone know what's bad about the design? Maybe the views distracted me but I enjoyed most holes out there, not all but most.

I guess the feedback is that the course pattern is repeated throughout. They like #2 and #3; with doglegs for #6 and #7 then it's repeated throughout.

I find it enjoyable to walk although I do play the North more than the South; I would say that the North seems to take longer to play due to the 8 minute spacing between tee times versus the 10 minutes on the South

Driver: Titleist TSR2

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Cobra Baffler F6

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58*

Putter: Evnroll ER2 

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

I guess the feedback is that the course pattern is repeated throughout. They like #2 and #3; with doglegs for #6 and #7 then it's repeated throughout.

I find it enjoyable to walk although I do play the North more than the South; I would say that the North seems to take longer to play due to the 8 minute spacing between tee times versus the 10 minutes on the South

Learn something new every day. I hadn't a clue the feedback on tour was negative.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Playing Monday for the first time ever. I'm a little discouraged with all the negativity but it's my first time ever in the San Diego area and don't know if I'll ever go back so I definitely want to play where the pros play every year and where the US open is being held. If I feel like I got ripped off, oh well it's only money.

Learn something new every day. I hadn't a clue the feedback on tour was negative.

Yeah I had no idea either. I guess the Plantation course in Hawaii is also disliked by the tour. Must be the beginning of the season and everybody is rusty...

Driver: Titleist TSR2

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Cobra Baffler F6

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58*

Putter: Evnroll ER2 

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Yeah I had no idea either. I guess the Plantation course in Hawaii is also disliked by the tour. Must be the beginning of the season and everybody is rusty...

I didn't like it at TP South when I was in the rough and couldn't even see my shoes. Maybe that has something to do with it. A few times I was lucky to find my ball at all.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I think we found the problem.

Torrey Pines is a muni. It's not a high-end course. They just charge non-residents a premium because they can.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I was going to play this Saturday but this thread deterred me. I’m playing Maderas instead.

maderas was amazing.

I totally agree. Amazing layout, great condition. So glad I chose it over TP.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I think we found the problem.

Torrey Pines is a muni. It's not a high-end course. They just charge non-residents a premium because they can.

its high end enough to hold a US open so I disagree Muni or not. St Andrews is also a Muni. As well as PGA National, Doral, Angus Glenn, ....

2024 Bag TBD

I was going to play this Saturday but this thread deterred me. I’m playing Maderas instead.

maderas was amazing.

I totally agree. Amazing layout, great condition. So glad I chose it over TP.

Its a total judgment call, but Im taking Barona Creek or Aviara over Maderas all day!

(Open questions for anyone familiar with the area) --> any reviews good/bad about Balboa Park?

And if the range at Torrey Pines isn't good, any suggestions on nearby ranges, preferably with grass tee's?