Playing Torrey Pines South Course - Any Advice?

For anyone thinking about playing Torrey Pines South. Let me give you the best advice you will ever get...

Take that $240, buy a plane ticket to JFK and hire an Uber to drive you to Beth Page Black. BPB is $140 I believe. So you will pay more but you will have an experience and a golf course that is 100x that which you will receive playing Torrey.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion I would have spent the money playing aviara, maderas or steele canyon. I have a residents card and find that I only go to Torrey once or twice a year. Highly over rated!!! Aviara is not a scenic but a better course. IMO.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

I am playing Torrey South tomorrow... I am not going because I expect the course to be worth the $150 I will pay. I am going because I want to walk the golf course that has seen so many historic moments, and maybe take 2-3 pictures while I am it.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

When my son and I played, we knew in advance that it was going to be a long round. We were right, abt 6 hours. However, the views were great from the bluffs and we were treated to the equivalent of a military air show. I tried to snap photos of the fighter jets but all I got were clouds and blue sky. I’d play it again.

Just my opinon.

I don't get the allure of Torrey. Bucket list? Previous major venue? Tour stop course?

I live in Del Mar and the ONLY reason I step foot anywhere on that course is because I can play for $36 and my son is free ($10.50/month) at twighlight.

The course is so mediocre. Does it have a few ocean holes? Yes. But it is one of the most boring tracks in San Diego. Heck, all of southern California.

I don't understand how anyone would pay $240+ to play Torrey. Blows my mind.

Pace of play - a lot of people that play are paying resident rate, so they couldn't care less. Also, a lot of them feel this sense of elite, since they are only paying $30-60 for a round compared to the non-city residents.

Driving range - SMH. Makes no sense. Complete garbage. Executive courses have better driving ranges.

Like I said, it's a bucket list course for a lot of people. But you are literally getting price gouged.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

Just my opinon.

I don't get the allure of Torrey. Bucket list? Previous major venue? Tour stop course?

I live in Del Mar and the ONLY reason I step foot anywhere on that course is because I can play for $36 and my son is free ($10.50/month) at twighlight.

The course is so mediocre. Does it have a few ocean holes? Yes. But it is one of the most boring tracks in San Diego. Heck, all of southern California.

I don't understand how anyone would pay $240+ to play Torrey. Blows my mind.

Pace of play - a lot of people that play are paying resident rate, so they couldn't care less. Also, a lot of them feel this sense of elite, since they are only paying $30-60 for a round compared to the non-city residents.

Driving range - SMH. Makes no sense. Complete garbage. Executive courses have better driving ranges.

Like I said, it's a bucket list course for a lot of people. But you are literally getting price gouged.

i could be 300 bucks richier if I read this last week.

2024 Bag TBD

To each their own... I played it yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed my 4.5 hour round (tee off at 2:50p).

If condition of the turf is the biggest criteria in determining the quality of a track than I can understand why folks feel it is a ripoff. I do not believe a golf course must be lush and green, rather I appreciate the element of having to play the ball on the ground as well as through the air. I place very little emphasis on turf conditions when I judge a golf course, routing, green complexes, sightlines, etc all are higher priorities for me. Torrey Pines appears wide open but missing fairways or being above the hole is punishing and has many holes that par is a good score.

Yes I have played courses with better turf, smoother greens and nicer driving ranges... but I have played few that demanded such precision to have any realistic look at birdies from tee to green. One could hit 15 greens in a round and still feel as though they only had 2-3 good looks at birdie because they have to be defensive or do not find the correct shelf with their approach. Over the course of 18 holes you will hit every club in the bag, likely multiple times.

I was set on a winter SD trip, but after more research, I dont think I will. Just too many negative reviews to judtify it.

I wouldn't write off SD because of Torrey. We have some phenomenal courses. For some reason the whole bucket list, Torrey thing has become sort of hyperbole.

I digress.

If you would still consider SD I recommend the following -

* Aviara (no question, without a doubt)

* La Costa

* Arrowood (they have two of their own wells, so they are able to keep the course pristine)

Up for a 30 min drive?

* steel canyon (3 9s, very fun)

* Balboa

Also, dont let people pretend to talk you into Coronado. Close second to being over rated behind Torrey. Bay of SD, yes... prob the second most boring track. Tee reservation system is archaic, just as most of the clientele.

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

I was set on a winter SD trip, but after more research, I dont think I will. Just too many negative reviews to judtify it.

The few times I’ve played Torrey South were in February, right after the Farmers. I’ve always had a great time, and the conditions have been excellent. Is it worth $240? No, especially when compared the Bethpage, but if your an addict, it’s worth it at least once. I understand the negative comments about pace of play, summer conditions, driving range and out of town fee. But, I don’t get criticizing the layout. I find it fun and challenging.

I am glad I played Torrey Pines South at least once. This is a course with history, both with a long standing regular PGA Tour even as well as now in the US Open rota. The real estate is terrific with gorgeous views. I believe anyone who appreciates those things should play Torrey Pines South at least once. That being said I doubt I play the course again based on course value. Would I pay double or more to play Pebble Beach Golf Links? Yes. Torrey Pines South is a great value for the locals but San Diego County has found a way to take advantage of those of us not residing in the county making this course not a great value to me.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I am glad I played Torrey Pines South at least once. This is a course with history, both with a long standing regular PGA Tour even as well as now in the US Open rota. The real estate is terrific with gorgeous views. I believe anyone who appreciates those things should play Torrey Pines South at least once. That being said I doubt I play the course again based on course value. Would I pay double or more to play Pebble Beach Golf Links? Yes. Torrey Pines South is a great value for the locals but San Diego County has found a way to take advantage of those of us not residing in the county making this course not a great value to me.

Even more of a kick in the balls - It does not extend to SD County. The resident card is for SD CITY residents.

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

Agreed. Biggest thing I would change is not playing it right off getting off a plane which required me to wake up at 4a

I was going to play this Saturday but this thread deterred me. I’m playing Maderas instead.

maderas was amazing.

Glad to hear good things about it.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Even more of a kick in the balls - It does not extend to SD County. The resident card is for SD CITY residents.

That's because it's owned by the City, not the County. I don't get a deal at other SD County courses that offer one, just because I live in San Diego. Why should Torrey be any different.

Hopefully though my experience was a one off because I certainly do not mean or intend to rain on your parade. Playing Top 100 or PGA courses is always a fun experience. I just find for some reason that they do not seem to be warm and fuzzy to tourists who flock to play the course.

I am playing Firestone south on labor day weekend and I have heard that it is grossly overrated and good luck getting any service there. I am still playing and I will let the forum know how it was.

I wouldn't write off SD because of Torrey. We have some phenomenal courses. For some reason the whole bucket list, Torrey thing has become sort of hyperbole.

I digress.

If you would still consider SD I recommend the following -

* Aviara (no question, without a doubt)

* La Costa

* Arrowood (they have two of their own wells, so they are able to keep the course pristine)

Up for a 30 min drive?

* steel canyon (3 9s, very fun)

* Balboa

Also, dont let people pretend to talk you into Coronado. Close second to being over rated behind Torrey. Bay of SD, yes... prob the second most boring track. Tee reservation system is archaic, just as most of the clientele.

Aviara is over priced to me. If you've got money to burn, go ahead.

La Costa is way over priced for what you get. They're still living on their name from the past.

Arrowood is fine, just takes an hour to get there.

Steele Canyon is good.

I played Balboa once, that was enough. For a few dollars more, I'm playing Torrey North instead.

Coronado might be boring, but it's always in good shape and the weather is fantastic! :-)

Best course in Southern Cal is Rams Hill, no question. :-)

Hopefully though my experience was a one off because I certainly do not mean or intend to rain on your parade. Playing Top 100 or PGA courses is always a fun experience. I just find for some reason that they do not seem to be warm and fuzzy to tourists who flock to play the course.

I am playing Firestone south on labor day weekend and I have heard that it is grossly overrated and good luck getting any service there. I am still playing and I will let the forum know how it was.

Just curious what "service" you need.

For anyone thinking about playing Torrey Pines South. Let me give you the best advice you will ever get...

Take that $240, buy a plane ticket to JFK and hire an Uber to drive you to Beth Page Black. BPB is $140 I believe. So you will pay more but you will have an experience and a golf course that is 100x that which you will receive playing Torrey.

How's the weather there in January and February? :D

Playing Torrey Pines South This Weekend as a single. Any advice? Should I walk with a Caddy or Ride? What tees should I play?

I'm actually super pumped first time playing golf in California.

Any must buys from the pro shop?

Haven't read the other posts but prepare to get your a** kicked. It's not an easy track even when the rough is "short".

I rode when I played there as a single - as did the other three dudes.

I played the furthest back tees allowed (several of the tournament tees are closed to the public). I did this because I'm a glutton for punishment.

The pro shop is big and they have all kinds of merch - overpriced like any good pro shop ;)

Lots of Naval activity in La Jolla so don't be alarmed when F-18s or F-14 go screaming by overhead all throughout the course.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I played at 1230. I've never played a slower round. The local in our group kept rushing us. After the 6th hole I said I've waited 10 min on every shot why are you rushing us??? (Playing out of turn, rushing, putting with pin in, ..).

It was just not an enjoyable day. The course seems scoreable and some of the views were great but I can name 5 course I've played in the past year that were better and 1/4 of the price

Sorry you had an unpleasant time. I hear the pace of play is the same at Pebble. I just play early and never have that problem.

As far as the price nothing in California is a bargain! :-)

Just curious what "service" you need.

People welcoming you, smiling, being pleasant, answering questions like you care (just a little bit) - things like that.