MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

falls road blaster report:

Cliffs: it's really hard. (I'm doing a detailed recap only to give a sense of the difficulty). my group drank a lot and we didn't win.

It's a shamble. Everyone tees off and then you play your own ball in from there. on the 4 par 6s everyone plays their own ball after two shots. you play as a 6some.

Hole 5: 509 yard par 4. You tee off on #10 and then you make a hard left turn down to the par 3 green. We had 232 left for our second shot. We were barely far enough to have a straight shot. trees on the left the border #10 and then the trees on the right of the par 3 made it super narrow. We had one par and three bogies (including me) from there. +1

Hole 6: 282 yard par 3. We had a guy knock it on the green. We all two putted. +1.

Hole 7: 533 yard par 5. You play the tee shot from the 13th hole. Then you play farther up the 13th into a roped off box. From there you play over trees to the 14th green. We had a 132 shot in. We had two pars. I hit it right at the flag but not high enough and clipped a tree. +1

Hole 8: 726 yard par 6. You play down the 15th fairway and then hit it onto the 16th. Only thing is that's a LONG way away. It really would have helped to play this hole before. I hit a perfect drive down the middle of the fairway. That's not the shot you want. You want to hit a big rope hook that happens to give you a good look. We had 309 yards in after two shots. I had the closest birdie putt but two guys made theirs before i putted. -1.

Hole 9: 679 yard par 5. You play from the 17th tee to the 18th green. I was standing on the tee box of this hole when a guy from the previous group came over to me stumbling stammering drunk. This about 90 minutes into the event. I'm too old for all that. My group drank and smoked a lot. I had no liquor and our group polished off two 750 mLs. It had a significant negative impact on the golf. We had long approach shots into every green. This isn't a scramble with 80 yards into every hole. I know it's cold but it's really not a great drunk fest event. I'd have rather really tried to play our best golf. On this hole, we had a miracle shot to get us to the 18th hole in two shots. For our third we had 199 yards up the hill. I hit a good hybrid to like 20 feet. I two putted but that was our only par. E.

Hole 1: 801 yard par 6. Start on 1 tee. Finish on 2 green. If you know the hole our third shots were played from the area between the high grass in front of the tee boxes. I ripped a three wood and had 163 in. That was our closest approach shot. I hit a really good shot in and then hit a putt WAY to hard, missed the seven footer, and three putted. Someone else got it up and down from like 50 yards for par. +1.

Hole 2: 722 yard par 6. I'm really not sure where you're supposed to hit it on the first two shots. One of our guys managed to hit a decent shot for the first two shots that also ended up playable. Again, this hole was hard. We had like 270 into the hole for our thirds. I hit it left of the green and hit a nice pitch to five feet. Missed the putt. Another guy did get it up and down. E.

Hole 3: 489 yard par 4. You play from one of the 5th hole tee boxes to 6 green. We all hit three woods into this hole. Several of us got it up and down. E.

Hole 4: 816 yard par 6. Tee off on 7 and end on 9. Again. Long and hard. After two shots we still had a long way left to go. I thought i hit a good three wood but it clipped a tree and i didn't find it. We had a par and a bogie. +1.

Shout to Mo Co golf. Their courses are in great shape. They're creative with events like this. Falls Road has been tracking pace of play stats based on start time for each day. They're trying to improve. That's so opposite of the "we have your money so we don't care how long it takes" mentality of other public courses. They provide so many excellent, and different, public golf options

Aquaman was worth watching on the big screen, but I think we both liked Spider-Man better.

Pro tip for both: sit a couple rows further back than your preferred theater seating. There is a lot to see.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Aquaman was worth watching on the big screen, but I think we both liked Spider-Man better.

Pro tip for both: sit a couple rows further back than your preferred theater seating. There is a lot to see.

Spiderman is intriguing to me.

we went to see "green book" today.

It was good. Not great. I liked the leads and was interested because one of the Farrely's directed it. The lessons were a little heavy handed, but believable as it was based on a true story.

Ya know what was pretty cool, tho... "Mowgli" on Flix. Scary. Pg-13 for good reason. Directed by Andy Serkis.

Next movie in theater will be Vice. Adam McKay has bought all my trust for a while because of The Big Short.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Its weird, I havent seen one DC movie that I've really enjoyed and something about the Aquaman trailer just seems...off. Cant explain why the DC movies hold no appeal either, I've seen every Marvel movie multiple times. Have watched all the Marvel Netflix shows. And Jason Mamoa is *excellent* in Frontier on Netflix.

BTW Frontier is a really good show if you like short season shows, they are 6-45 minute episodes seasons. He is great as the lead and Season 3 was just released.

Aquaman seems to be getting good reviews though.

So much more rain. Saw that Ffx County Rescue was out last night with a bunch of flooded road/water rescues. Guessing the course and range will be closed at least for a few days. Thursday/Friday we finished putting some extensions on the downspouts in our backyard and sending it out under the fence and towards the culvert - glad we did that when we did.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Great writeup 2more. A few of us played that tournament a few years ago and it was a lot of fun. Need to do it again some year. I thought the only hole that wasn't really well laid out was 7, where you have to hit it past the line then over the trees. The trees there are tall! I don't think anyone in our group hit it over, but some folks lucked through a small opening and got lucky. Otherwise, the course flows really well across the long holes. There aren't a lot of courses that would be as interesting in that kind of setup.

This article applies to a lot of us that picked up golf later in life but were good at other sports.

Not necessarily lowered expectations but a reminder to just enjoy the game.

https://www.nytimes....mediocrity.html

Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed this article. It spoke to me in a couple ways.

For one, it gets at some ideas around the mental breakthrough I feel like I've been having. It's a hobby, yet we get ourselves worked up and anxious about how good we are at it. We start attaching how good we are at hobbies to self worth. Like Domes says, none of us are doing this to put food on the table for our families, or with the consequence of a beating from Lucas Glover's wife looming if we're playing poorly. I was talking to this older guy after my FIL's member-guest this year. He (an average 20-capper) and his partner had made it to the shootout, and he was faced with a tricky chip that he actually executed quite well. He was talking about how anxious he felt over that shot, and how silly it was to him. He was a successful litigator for his entire career, dealing with multi-million dollar settlements, and here he was, a retired man in his 70s trembling over a chip shot. That realization in the moment brought him back down to earth and calmed him.

It also helps remind me about the many other ways folks enjoy the game. It doesn't resonate with me at all when I hear people say they don't care about score, or other similar things. I can have a blast, and also be trying my darnedest to always get better and learn something new. But that's me, and sometimes I fail to step back and see that maybe the next guy honestly doesn't care about any of that. He just wants to enjoy trying to whack a little white ball around outside for a couple hours, and enjoy his leisure.

Work! It’s PEAK SEASON!

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

This article applies to a lot of us that picked up golf later in life but were good at other sports.

Not necessarily lowered expectations but a reminder to just enjoy the game.

https://www.nytimes....mediocrity.html

Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed this article. It spoke to me in a couple ways.

For one, it gets at some ideas around the mental breakthrough I feel like I've been having. It's a hobby, yet we get ourselves worked up and anxious about how good we are at it. We start attaching how good we are at hobbies to self worth. Like Domes says, none of us are doing this to put food on the table for our families, or with the consequence of a beating from Lucas Glover's wife looming if we're playing poorly. I was talking to this older guy after my FIL's member-guest this year. He (an average 20-capper) and his partner had made it to the shootout, and he was faced with a tricky chip that he actually executed quite well. He was talking about how anxious he felt over that shot, and how silly it was to him. He was a successful litigator for his entire career, dealing with multi-million dollar settlements, and here he was, a retired man in his 70s trembling over a chip shot. That realization in the moment brought him back down to earth and calmed him.

It also helps remind me about the many other ways folks enjoy the game. It doesn't resonate with me at all when I hear people say they don't care about score, or other similar things. I can have a blast, and also be trying my darnedest to always get better and learn something new. But that's me, and sometimes I fail to step back and see that maybe the next guy honestly doesn't care about any of that. He just wants to enjoy trying to whack a little white ball around outside for a couple hours, and enjoy his leisure.

I hope to play well but if I don't it's no big deal,if I'm playing in a team format I'm just hoping to not let down the team

Fabb I took the article to mean everybody gets a trophy. Being competitive and wanting to be the best you can at everything you do is lost on most people today.(sure my Dad would have said the same) I find the older I get the more I am learning to play the game for the fun of the game. This is something I have been working on, just have fun no matter what the score ends up being. This is a tough lesson for me to comprehend. I have always played the game to beat the field. Fun as winning period. Need to lose that mentality to some degree.

I think there's a middle ground that the article misses, that most people are in. Most people I see aren't out "just to enjoy themselves", and aren't out "to be the best". They middle ground is that people want to improve compare to their former self. They want to see that there is a reward for the time and effort they are putting in to their hobby. I think most people are content with getting relatively better, even if they aren't comparatively good. Frustration sets in when there isn't progress.

They want to see that there is a reward for the time and effort they are putting in to their hobby. I think most people are content with getting relatively better, even if they aren't comparatively good. Frustration sets in when there isn't progress.

This is big and usually overlooked.

A lot of the people who I see who claim to be "hyper competitive" on the golf course or wherever never actually put in the time to get better. They just get angry when things don't go well and then say "hey...I'm just a competitive guy what can I say"

No, you're just a dumb ***hole.

Fabb I took the article to mean everybody gets a trophy. Being competitive and wanting to be the best you can at everything you do is lost on most people today.(sure my Dad would have said the same) I find the older I get the more I am learning to play the game for the fun of the game. This is something I have been working on, just have fun no matter what the score ends up being. This is a tough lesson for me to comprehend. I have always played the game to beat the field. Fun as winning period. Need to lose that mentality to some degree.

That was NOT the point of the article.

The article's main point was that we should do things more for fun. That everything we do these days, we have to do to achieve excellence. Quote. . .

Lost here is the gentle pursuit of a modest competence, the doing of something just because you enjoy it, not because you are good at it. Hobbies, let me remind you, are supposed to be something different from work. But alien values like “the pursuit of excellence” have crept into and corrupted what was once the realm of leisure, leaving little room for the true amateur.

...unquote.

I can't really say I agree with the article.

He seems to presenting the dichotomy, "be excellent at something" versus "just watch youTube". (quote : The population of our country now seems divided between the semipro hobbyists (some as devoted as Olympic athletes) and those who retreat into the passive, screeny leisure that is the signature of our technological moment.)

Like, if you can't be good at something, then, just curl up on your couch and be an introvert. Thing is : we play golf. We all know A LOT of people who do just play the game, who don't care about getting better. That's a massive massive percentage of golfers.

In regards to these themes, I tend to think there's just too many people who don't realize what it takes to get good at something. I forget who I was telling about this, but a couple months ago (maybe on reddit), I saw a video of a woman who was carrying a tray of drinks and then LIMBO'ed under a SUV in a showroom carrying the drinks and then stood up on the other side. One of the reddit comments was, "how do you even discover you can do this?"

Think about that : that woman was probably taught how to limbo when she was 3, has limbo'ed for 20 years, does tricks with it, is so good she was brought in to do promotional limbo, and someone's response "how do you discover you can do this?" (link to video. can't find the exact reddit thread.)

ANYWAY, what the author is talking about is a very personal thing. I SWORE when I got into yoga I wasn't going to be all "City Game" about it. I was't going to be competitive or read outside material, but all of a sudden, I'm in class and I'm collapsing in some pose, so I go, "all right, I just want to get stronger in that pose so I don't crash during class" and next thing I know, I'm watching drills for improving you handstand on youTube.

Point : I can't not be that way. That's how I enjoy things. Now, I'm also really good as leisure. I can sit around all day and do nothing with the best of them, and I didn't have to work at that.

Exception : I've never gotten competitive about paddleboarding. While I love it, I also treat it like a long walk in the woods with my wife. It's "our" thing. That's not to say that the first time I got on a paddleboard I didn't think, "man it would fun to race someone on this thing."

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

This doesn't seem promising...

Course: CLOSED all day over 3 inches of rain this weekend

Range: CLOSED all day

Short game area: CLOSED

Chipping Green: CLOSED

Putting Green: CLOSED

For one, it gets at some ideas around the mental breakthrough I feel like I've been having. It's a hobby, yet we get ourselves worked up and anxious about how good we are at it. We start attaching how good we are at hobbies to self worth. Like Domes says, none of us are doing this to put food on the table for our families, or with the consequence of a beating from Lucas Glover's wife looming if we're playing poorly.

i hate that. i care. it does matter to me. don't tell me it shouldn't. (that doesn't mean it's my identity)

He was a successful litigator for his entire career, dealing with multi-million dollar settlements,

I bet that he's competitive and it drove him to try to win each case. I bet that he worked really hard. I suspect that he thought through strategy of ever case.i bet he ran his strategies by his peers for advice. i bet he thought about it all the time. people who are wired like that are often, just wired like that.

I don't have many hobbies. You know why? Because i don't do things half way. it's not me. I explained to a friend saturday that when i go to weddings sometimes i spot where the caterers come into the room and park myself there to make sure i get some apps when i'm hungry. i have a goal, a strategy, and i execute it. in some things i have more ability to execute well but there is nothing wrong with being intensely purposeful about everything you do

Point : I can't not be that way. That's how I enjoy things.

Fly fishing would be my example. I can spend the entire day standing out on the front of that boat enjoying myself. Being out on the water, not seeing another person for miles, running that boat 30 mph in 4 inches of water - its so damn relaxing. But no matter what, there are always things I am doing to try and get better. Its not necessarily about the results but there are so many little facets of the sport to focus on that I feel like I can always get better at one of them. And even if I get bored with the fishing itself I will find some other way to enjoy it. Like this summer I said why am I paying $8-10 per fly, I bet I can tie these just as good. Next thing I know, I've got a laptop out watching clips of guys tying it, trying not to glue my hands together.

Golf is somewhat the same I guess. But the one thing I do know, for me, is that no matter how long I play this game I dont think I will ever get to a point where I say, no, you know what, I am as good as I can get right now - no need to keep working on the game or trying new things.

I just dont see that happening - ever.

As with anything I read, I don't take that article word for word as gospel. It was though provoking in a productive way for me, though.

I didn't take it at all to mean everybody should just be happy with however good they are at their hobbies. I took it as a call to find what brings you joy in your hobbies, and not lose sight of that.

I don't think the pursuit of improvement, or passion about a hobby is an issue. I think where it gets people, myself included, is when you start attaching how good you are at whatever hobby to how you think you'll be perceived by others, and developing anxiety about it.

More people attach self worth to their job, car and money than the hobbies.

DC at some point you will outgrow the learning curve and improvement, age catches us all

City that IS EXACTLY what the article says to ME

I just meant the "everybody gets a trophy" part. Usually the "everybody gets a trophy" thing is presented as if you get rewarded without work. He's saying that we're actually working too hard on things we shouldn't.

Other that that, I'm with you.

People attach self-worth to things like their sports team. At least with a hobby, you have some say over the outcome. I don't attach worth to "job and money" beyond their utility as "hobby maximizers" over the course of my life.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green