2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

It was also "information overload" for me.

It was the first time I'd ever been there. I turned that corner. They have Christmas lights up. There were cars in both directions. I had a guy behind me. I was worried about getting into some wrong lane and being forced out. I was late getting to see my brother. It was a stressful drive. I can't say I didn't have a pang of "is this right?", but I wasn't in a good head-space to make the right decision.

i will not draw a parallel between this post and reading the putt from all sides. :)

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

It was also "information overload" for me.

It was the first time I'd ever been there. I turned that corner. They have Christmas lights up. There were cars in both directions. I had a guy behind me. I was worried about getting into some wrong lane and being forced out. I was late getting to see my brother. It was a stressful drive. I can't say I didn't have a pang of "is this right?", but I wasn't in a good head-space to make the right decision.

i will not draw a parallel between this post and reading the putt from all sides. :)

It's a perfect parallel. Extemporaneous information excluded the pertinent information from being received properly, peter piper picked a peck of pickled pepper.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I don't know. If you would have gotten out of your car to view the street from the other end of the block, I think you could have figured where you should have parked :rofl:

If I had driven around the entire building, I would have noticed it was an apartment.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I don't know. If you would have gotten out of your car to view the street from the other end of the block, I think you could have figured where you should have parked :rofl:

If I had driven around the entire building, I would have noticed it was an apartment.

I get major anxiety when driving to a place that I'm unfamiliar with and don't have a clue about parking. It really stresses me out. The extent of my driving in DC is going to and from to work in Fairfax and going to and from golf courses on weekends. So I'm basically using my car to get in and out of the city. If I have to travel inside of DC, it's uber or metro because I just can't deal not having guaranteed or known/easy parking somewhere.

I get major anxiety when driving to a place that I'm unfamiliar with and don't have a clue about parking. It really stresses me out. The extent of my driving in DC is going to and from to work in Fairfax and going to and from golf courses on weekends. So I'm basically using my car to get in and out of the city. If I have to travel inside of DC, it's uber or metro because I just can't deal not having guaranteed or known/easy parking somewhere.

Agreed. Not having to drive is what makes city living good.

I made it from 2009-2014 without a car before I started playing a lot of golf at places other than EPP. It's the only reason I own one now.

Agreed, parking downtown still stresses me out. I worked/drove in the city for a while and then Crystal City after that. If I ever need to go into DC now - I take Uber. Round trip is probably @ $30-35 which on a weekend is only a little more than I would pay to park downtown. Especially like when we went to the DC United game, parking around there was $40-50.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

i'd still be driving to the location, going 55mph in the fast lane.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

i've parked in 15+ garages in the last two weeks between DC and Arlington. It doesn't cause me anxiety but it's really really awful. helpful hint: If you tip well sometimes even the self park garages will valet for you. i like to build relationships with the parking attendants at the garages i park in frequently.

I'm playing in that falls road blaster tourney tomorrow. Will report back. apparently we're supposed to win. i only know one of the five others

I have a small-ish sized SUV and some of those city garages give me serious anxiety. My wife lived in an older condo building in SW that had lanes so narrow I initially thought it was one way.

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

So I bought one of these, to keep and use at work.

https://www.handmasterplus.com/

I figure if anybody needs one, it's my wispy self. Interesting enough, the guy that developed it played golf at a high level.

I got the "medium" one to start with. I've found that my left hand is actually much stronger than the right. Maybe that shouldn't be surprising, since my right wrist is worse for sure. But I'm right-handed. It shouldn't be as noticeable as it is.

Add my improved hand strength to my improved general fitness, and speed stick CSPCs, and I'm now going to gain 20mph next year. Hammerin' Champ is in my sights.

Reading putts from all directions:

I know eagle does it because he has a slow play rep to maintain. What do Fabb/bayrat/city/TheButteryCut/Dom (the better golfers) think about it?

It seems unnecessary for the majority of putts.

Late to the party on this one. Had a talk with this about Dom this weekend, being that he is one of the best, if not the best, putter I know (sorry, Eagle ;)). I don't read from all directions, and usually just behind lately as I am trying to speed up my play. However, I would say a good deal of times that seeing more than just behind will help my initial read. Had a bunch of putts lately that if I had taking the time to get a quick lay of the land then I would have been better off. This applies mostly to mid - long range putts. Dom is rarely off and is very quick to determine and execute his putts. I think there is also something said about being a committed, decisive putter - which I have not been lately. Probably the weakest part of my game and struggling to find a way out.

I am not advocating seeing all sides and getting down to read from every angle, but definitely taking a quick walk to the right and left may help you see something in terms of slope or influencers. One of my missions this offseason is coming up with a process to read greens. I find myself not paying attention when approaching the green or when other people putt. Nor do I have a checklist for when I read a green. Sometimes settle down behind the ball and find myself thinking "What am I looking for here?"

May sound silly, but one of the old tools I used when reading greens was imaging someone dumping a bucket of water in my line, and envisioning which way the water would run or drain off. For me, this was very helpful as I was able to see something moving with the slopes and how quick it would run. Sometimes I get lost just staring at the green and trying to see just "the line."

Agreed. When I’ve had Dom help me read my putts he sees things that I’m like what the hell. Where are you seeing that but I trust and when I do hit the ball with the recommended pace, it’s generally within a 3 feet radius. I need to learn how to do this.

I’ve tried imagining the water out of a bucket as well but I don’t think I do it right. I always see the water going the wrong direction. Many times in uphill putts I see it going one direction but in reality it goes in the opposite. I’m okay with downhill putts but uphill I need help on.

we've had some good comments on the Hive surveys, guys. If you haven't filled one out, take a few minutes.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

this is so good

rTwSOyxnv1Daa9laXCaP2fjMcUGDh6KQmGWLuLmeHVRExoakypf9y6WQz7xOcbiofP1mIJ8ZnWuCjzRXgFtCcZqoyk6DNSvZ3835gYsnw4oMf119tp3tWwjkjToBnu5Q4BzJ-dfBEYK7Zv0oB-qPx7jj0JM_-xlqH9eJsL42zFbmBgb3BH_C_C-Ju00h90KYwEL0oZK2V7JSrWqw01FxZTn51OXbQlORUKHr-LE0c0rSXGry1x0QnBOkybRJ_9QnCWUDk43Q-P7wf9xijF69uQEi0auwVQRvqmA-FWX7alRgENNLYrKjCp763lbUKqDboBLYkIxS-6DFaWcxlv-P8DXV4xbMIuqLXlLtSUOXJDsQcYWXH-87DuW0rdlXxjDaxLdPkrF4pssTl66GrYMDnQKnlTtSOtiNOI8MPTRKQ8jpVsQArdcR7ViGcQryDy0dII0iCnnWWdm_Nxmt2uo1cyCBZgkZ__NXjdQGYDiOZcBdE__sQ595O7Pm3wjWXAnniu2Vhu2t4AEnK6uy8d8uL596iqCQP4rtShWbPJlhm_CwlTGqpwSvqy9W3VBiw5K5wi3i0d8yA_aogyw9-H3EDjCnTgfqBUR1TH9WiABH9yiuDOJrez4MHCr51oxzByBt58vLzFTq6taOhvOQT6SmpmN29dHvWPj_X9QJb4_zmjR_EOOU6-poyE8QgU7CemoarBhrSMS20dXjM13Clw=w1231-h923-no-tmp.jpg

I have several drills for putting if anyone is interested. I think I've told several people but can't remember who. And yes, always make confident strokes but it takes practice to get there. Just trust it as Brian says. In tournaments I'll try to read it from 2-3 sides. Behind the ball first, then on the other side of the hole to confirm or adjust my first read, and then from the low side of the putt if I can't get a read on how up/downhill the putt will be.

As for our trip, I can't recommend Scottsdale enough. We-Ko-Pa's Saguaro course was awesome. Didn't care for the weather but I still truly enjoyed my time there. Desert Forest was, simply put, magical. Didn't think there was a bad hole or tee shot or approach shot. Seriously. Loved that 5 or 6 greens had an elephant buried in the middle of them to make some putts very interesting. I also think the fact that they moved little to no land to create each hole is a huge plus in my book (similar to my feelings for Erin Hills). If I had the dough I would have bought out the shop to bring back gifts for everyone. Troon North's Monument course > Pinnacle course. Pinnacle just had too many tee shots that didn't narrow in, they just ended. So playing from 6200 yards wasn't very fun. Monument course also had some of the coolest rock formations I have seen. Just beautiful. Greens were better too, although still not great.

During our trip I definitely striped it off the tee for the first three days but didn't as much on the last day. I think that hurt us the most. We had an opportunity to get a top three but we would just mess up on the same hole too many times. We would have had to play to our potential to get a win out there. 63, 62 is what the winners shot. That's going really low no matter how short the course is. My putting that week was on for the most part too. Definitely misread some putts but could see why afterwards. The guys we played with Saturday at Troon North were awesome. The dudes on Sunday were good too but one could barely stand after about 14 holes. The other also hit it a mile. That was fun to watch all day.

Lastly, if you all ever mind me taking pictures, just let me know. I also usually add them to my Hive gallery. I will not add or delete them if you ask. Looks like most of you have seen that album over the year. Lots of great pictures and a heck of a lot of great memories playing with you all this year. Seriously, it's been the must fun I have had playing golf this year. So thank you all!

By the way, Kaman has a better handicap and Ramesh has fewer putts than I do...

Ramesh has fewer putts than I do...

100% misleading stat. you probably double my greens in reg each round. haven't checked, but my putts per GIR have got to be way higher than you, and my birdies per round are way lower.

i'm also very sure that i didn't win 11 times in 2018... :D

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

After reading through DC's Duo thread, I really want to get some of those lime green ones to try for the winter.

First range day with new irons, and I think they're good to go. They look great, sound great, and I've never felt anything like them going through grass. The v-sole feels like it explodes through the ground and the yardage consistency was pretty insane, even with the rocks we have on our range.

The AMT White had me fooled, it's basically a Dynamic Gold with a slightly more attractive label. There's only a 15g difference once you get to the longer irons and not that discernible.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

My son and I were thinking about setting up a simulator in the garage. I think the ceiling might be too low, though. It'd less than 8 feet. Also the garage is complete full of crap.

Also, yeah, those Christmas car commercials are ridiculous. Who gives a Lexus as a Christmas present?

Less than 8 feet? I have just under 8 foot ceilings in my basement and can only swing partial wedge shots - may not be worth setting up a simulator at that point.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Think you need 10-11 feet minimum.0

Yeah I think Trackman recommends 10' height for their home setups.

Not that I'd know that by having asked or anything...

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I’m a pagan but wish I could get this for Christmas. I’m tired of all the ads with couples buying cars as presents.

Just want this..

God that looks glorious. God forbid you Josèl one tho. Watch out!

Random but if anyone wants to play Woodmore tomorrow, hit me up. I took the day off and am planning on playing all day until it rains.

I’m a pagan but wish I could get this for Christmas.

Christmas is a great celebration for us pagans. You're not putting a tree up in your house because that's what little baby Jesus did.

Not to say it's not a Christian holiday. It is, but it's origins, traditions, and time of year seem to pretty entangled with old pagan solstice celebrations.

Not much love from me on the hitting bay. I mean, it looks pretty sweet, but it only gives me about 1 percent of what I like about golf. Maybe if I had a barn and infinity dollars.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green