MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

#BEEF

If NLU goes after anybody, it should be TheRealSneek. He hates those guys.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

If you're going to disagree with something, the minimum hurdle you need to clear is to at least accurately represent what the other person is saying.

You must be new here...

tenor.gif

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

#BEEF

If NLU goes after anybody, it should be TheRealSneek. He hates those guys.

Seriously. If you are going to beef with somebody, the minimum hurdle you should need to clear is at least accurately understanding who hated you in the first place.

#TeamSneak

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Q. for the guys who are reading a lot of golf architecture stuff or listening to podcasts. Lets say you read a *really* long, opinion based article with tons of uberwoke opinions about how a particular course is being "ruined" by technology. And that most players that play it seem to still love the course even though they probably arent smart enough to appreciate the course's architectural features < authors opinion tinged with my sarcasm.

Does your opinion of the article change if 3/4 of the way through it the author reveals that not only has he never played there but he's never even been there? Its essentially an "on paper" exercise - although he is perfectly happy running down people who dont agree with his very long winded opinions?

I've been slowly chopping all the golf architecture stuff off my podcast list for various reasons. i think mostly bc I can just enjoy playing certain courses without having to get into the weeds about crap like this. But this article really sort of brought home to me why I am perfectly happy tapping out on this sort of thing altogether.

well i'm not the post's target audience but i tapped out of this stuff about 4 minutes into a NLU podcast when Tron and Soly agreed that good golf courses could only be built on sandy soil. Soly said that again on the pod with Brandel and Brandel was like "that's absurd. most golf courses in the US aren't built on sandy soil and you can still enjoy the game playing those courses".

so can you post the article or just allow me to guess the course? augusta?

I'm fine with people disagreeing with things that are said on the podcast. That's what it's there for. But this representation of what was actually said on the podcast borders on parody. Never in my life have I ever said that good golf courses can only be built on sandy soil. I honestly have no clue what Tron conversation you're referring to, but that's also not at all what the conversation was like with Brandel. If you're going to disagree with something, the minimum hurdle you need to clear is to at least accurately represent what the other person is saying.

Even if you got the actual quotes right, the next step would be to consider the context of the conversation.

DefenselessWanAsianpiedstarling-max-1mb.gif

giphy.gif

go-away.gif

giphy.gif

Doesn’t sand based drain better? The DMV area could use a lot more courses like that!

yeah, but you can't just lay sand on top of clay. When you're on a sandy course, it's sandy all the way down (not an agronomist).

In terms of a parkland course, my BIL's course up near Philly is the sandiest I've ever seen. I don't know why or how. it's not really near water or anything. But, when you take a divot, your club face looks more like you hit a bunker shot than you took a clump of sod. You still peel up a strip, but it's not as tightly structured. You get really tight lies there, but you can get away with a hair fat because the soil doesn't have as much resistance. If you make ball-first contact, it's a pleasure.

Sandy soil does make for better draining, better "feeling" courses, IMO. Bandon's the only really sandy place I've played.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Q. for the guys who are reading a lot of golf architecture stuff or listening to podcasts. Lets say you read a *really* long, opinion based article with tons of uberwoke opinions about how a particular course is being "ruined" by technology. And that most players that play it seem to still love the course even though they probably arent smart enough to appreciate the course's architectural features < authors opinion tinged with my sarcasm.

Does your opinion of the article change if 3/4 of the way through it the author reveals that not only has he never played there but he's never even been there? Its essentially an "on paper" exercise - although he is perfectly happy running down people who dont agree with his very long winded opinions?

I've been slowly chopping all the golf architecture stuff off my podcast list for various reasons. i think mostly bc I can just enjoy playing certain courses without having to get into the weeds about crap like this. But this article really sort of brought home to me why I am perfectly happy tapping out on this sort of thing altogether.

well i'm not the post's target audience but i tapped out of this stuff about 4 minutes into a NLU podcast when Tron and Soly agreed that good golf courses could only be built on sandy soil. Soly said that again on the pod with Brandel and Brandel was like "that's absurd. most golf courses in the US aren't built on sandy soil and you can still enjoy the game playing those courses".

I'm fine with people disagreeing with things that are said on the podcast. That's what it's there for. But this representation of what was actually said on the podcast borders on parody. Never in my life have I ever said that good golf courses can only be built on sandy soil. I honestly have no clue what Tron conversation you're referring to, but that's also not at all what the conversation was like with Brandel. If you're going to disagree with something, the minimum hurdle you need to clear is to at least accurately represent what the other person is saying.

Even if you got the actual quotes right, the next step would be to consider the context of the conversation.

Can you guys do an ASMR pod with Brandel?

SelfreliantImmaterialEmeraldtreeskink-size_restricted.gif

Bandon's the only really sandy place I've played.

Pinehurst.

Not Pinehurst Pinehurst. You mean like Mid Pines? Yeah, that was pretty sandy.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Episode 255 Scotland recap:

Soly "I want to hear your overarching takeaway from spending a week playing golf in scotland"

Tron "it ruined golf for me"

Soly "how so"

Tron "ahhhh. i do not want to play golf in the united states anymore"

Soly "what made it so great"

Tron "ahh. maybe more this year than others years the turf conditions were insanely good and exceptional firm and burned out"

these guys were expressing course architecture discussion/breakdown/snobbery fatigue and NLU wades into those waters. You've expressed that playing shots on the ground is more fun and that playing shots in the air is boring. You discussed the superiority of sandy soil for courses in the podcast with the austrailan course designer. i forget his name. It came up in the Brandel pod. His response to you is exactly what i'm thinking when i'm listening. My context is that i'm a guy in maryland playing two courses where we broke records for rainfall in a year. they were at best chronically soaked and at worst under water. Even if you reasonably do prefer courses where you can play on the ground and courses built on sandy soil it has felt like you guys were missing the fact that a massive % of your US audience does not, and will not, play those type of courses. I played last saturday and every ball in the fairway backed up and everything is a mud ball. it's still fun.

i'm not NLU hater either. just the opposite. I listen to most of the podcasts. I'm excited to see your upcoming version of wide world of golf thing. I watched and enjoyed strapped, etc.

Soly "I want to hear your overarching takeaway from spending a week playing golf in scotland"

Soly "how so"

Tron "ahh. maybe more this year than others years the turf conditions were insanely good and exceptional firm and burned out"

Can you give me more context on the "ahhh's"?

Like, did it sound like Soly was giving him a shoulder rub?

Or was it more like a conversational pause?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

in HBD one and done pool you can see the percentage of picks site wide. interesting. like right now woodland is 25.7, howell iii is 18.9, etc

i took woodland. something like 7 of 8 years the winner has played the previous week, his form is good, his track record is good, and he was super confident in his GC interviews all week

more primetime golf. 7-10:30 today. love it.

in HBD one and done pool you can see the percentage of picks site wide. interesting. like right now woodland is 25.7, howell iii is 18.9, etc

i took woodland. something like 7 of 8 years the winner has played the previous week, his form is good, his track record is good, and he was super confident in his GC interviews all week

more primetime golf. 7-10:30 today. love it.

5 of us, including me, have Gary Woodland.

Fabb, who you got?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

i'm not NLU hater either. just the opposite. I listen to most of the podcasts. I'm excited to see your upcoming version of wide world of golf thing. I watched and enjoyed strapped, etc.

giphy.gif

2MT is just trying to become a thread influencer buy influencing what we listen to.

WE ARE ON TO YOUR GAMES, KILLLLLLLLLLLLHOUSE BOY.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

My buddy signed up for the pool. Last week he asked if I wanted to go halfsies on it - I said sure. He had already locked in his pick for the week, but I'm like that's fine.

He picked Xander.

Noice.

We've got Leish this week.

Chucky 3 Sticks was my first thought. Should just be a solid pay day, but virtually zero chance of a win. I was tempted by Domes mortal enemy, ZJ, based on past success of him and other players in that mold previously. The most tempting pick for me was honestly JT. I know people seem into "saving" the big guys, but this is maybe as good a chance as any all year to pick him to win.

I would like to clarify that I’m not an NLU hater. I’m a Tron hater. I’ve always said that Soly is great. He’s the reason they have built the brand up so much. Tron has been enjoying his ride on Soly’s coattails for awhile now.

Also Tron’s brother Neil might actually be more annoying than he is. I’m on the fence.

Soly "how so"

these guys were expressing course architecture discussion/breakdown/snobbery fatigue and NLU wades into those waters. You've expressed that playing shots on the ground is more fun and that playing shots in the air is boring. You discussed the superiority of sandy soil for courses in the podcast with the austrailan course designer. i forget his name. It came up in the Brandel pod. His response to you is exactly what i'm thinking when i'm listening. My context is that i'm a guy in maryland playing two courses where we broke records for rainfall in a year. they were at best chronically soaked and at worst under water. Even if you reasonably do prefer courses where you can play on the ground and courses built on sandy soil it has felt like you guys were missing the fact that a massive % of your US audience does not, and will not, play those type of courses. I played last saturday and every ball in the fairway backed up and everything is a mud ball. it's still fun.

This is at least closer, but again, context is key. We're prone to hyperbole, and of course Tron doesn't mean that he doesn't want to play golf in the US. We play the same soggy courses down in Florida as you guys do in Maryland (different grass types, but not anywhere close to firm and fast at some of the best places I've played). And no one said that good golf courses can only be built on sandy soil.

But it is eye opening how much more fun golf is on these types of soils. Tron had played golf his whole life, loved it, and had never played the type of golf that were lucky enough to play this summer. And it was eye opening to him how enjoyable that was. I've shared my thoughts on Scotland golf on the podcast many times before, and wanted to open it up to the rest of the group to describe their experience.

It's simply a fact that sandy soil provides the best opportunity for firm and fast conditions, and the courses that are designed around these types of conditions are the most enjoyable courses I've ever encountered. Which is a far cry from "good golf courses can only be built on sandy soil." If that was the case, there would only be golf courses on the coasts.

But playing those types of courses really does make it hard to come back home and play the aerial game all over again, (which is where we play about 98% of our annual rounds).

I still think we need to get NLU and The Hive on the course together, if they're ever rolling through the DMV.

giphy.gif

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*