2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

> @TheCityGame said:

> Eagle has completely disappeared.

i resemble that remark.

current amount of work affords me a ton less "deadtime" in front of a computer, and less time in front of a computer at all. both of these are good things in terms of life-enjoyment, but not so good in terms of being a part of this thread, the Hive, DCGT, and other aspects of my e-life. i'd hate to see all my online meme-making skills drift away like a tumbleweed, so i'll be popping in here and there to annoy everyone, but just don't have the RAM or bandwidth to continue on with my previous level of contributions.

hope to see more of you guys on the course than online anyway.

1anbkpi23qaj.jpg

• Like 2

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

> @eagle1997 said:

> hope to see more of you guys on the course than online anyway.

>

This is the reason i found the thread in the first place but you guys are making it difficult with your geographical locations. I'm gonna need you to make sure the DCGT event at PoSho happens since it's right up the road from me.

Thank you, that is all.

I'm very excited about Home on the Range. There are some guys coming by themselves, which I think is cool. People flying in from the west coast.

I've camped enough now to know what i need to be as comfortable as possible. As long as it doesn't rain, it will be awesome. Even if it rains, hopefully it will be hot.

I don't plan on "showering", in the biblical sense of the word. Gimme some wet wipes and 90 seconds in my tent and I'm good. The problem with these kinds of things is that if you shower, you smell everyone else. Serious cleaning will need to be done before the ride home, however.

I want to play in bare feet at some point. Also want to play until it's literally pitch black one night. headlamps from wherever back to camp.

But, that's 3 weekends from now. I'm sitting in the Charleston Airport before a 2pm tee time today, one tomorrow, then 160 holes of golf in Wisconsin. Hoop and I found out that our third round of the day was free, so we made 7pm tee times on the par 3 sandbox course at SV.

F*** a sit down dinner.

• Like 2

> @t4t3r said:

> Leish out there doing un-Leish like things.

>

> Explosion.gif

he withdrew before it began. Tough break for those of us who picked him.

1) getting a goose egg this week.

2) not going to be able to use him again (probably)

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I'm not sure what "showering the biblical sense" is, but I think I've seen it on redTube.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @Sterling_247 said:

> > @eagle1997 said:

>

> > hope to see more of you guys on the course than online anyway.

> >

>

> This is the reason i found the thread in the first place but you guys are making it difficult with your geographical locations. I'm gonna need you to make sure the DCGT event at PoSho happens since it's right up the road from me.

>

> Thank you, that is all.

>

Awh, thats cute, someone else other than me that thinks there are going to be more DCGT events...

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @Sterling_247 said:

> > > @eagle1997 said:

> >

> > > hope to see more of you guys on the course than online anyway.

> > >

> >

> > This is the reason i found the thread in the first place but you guys are making it difficult with your geographical locations. I'm gonna need you to make sure the DCGT event at PoSho happens since it's right up the road from me.

> >

> > Thank you, that is all.

> >

>

> Awh, thats cute, someone else other than me that thinks there are going to be more DCGT events...

There’s been two events. I only knew about the first one. Second one happened back in April at Northwest. I do hope we have more DCGT events as well.

The over under on Romo's first round was 79.5 and he beat that handily at 76.

Still only a few from DFL, course must have been playing pretty easy today.

In future prep for my old putter getting refinished, I painted a putter shaft matte black this evening.

I happened to have some flat black etching primer, but damn if it doesn't look great after a couple coats. The sad part is that I might go through all of this to end up sticking with the same Evnroll putter I've been using.

The prospect of selling a discontinued, refreshed Piretti is appealing but I don't think I can ever let that thing go.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

> @dcmidnight said:

> The over under on Romo's first round was 79.5 and he beat that handily at 76.

>

> Still only a few from DFL, course must have been playing pretty easy today.

Last year -30 won this thing. The "plates" at that course play are listed at 7450 with a 76.0/134 rating. Something doesn't quite add up with that to me. Lots of courses these guys play are rated 76/77 and the players don't get anywhere near -30.

Speaking of which. . .local boy Denny is leading the DANG THANG. Get it done, Denny. Last I checked he was leading the tour in strokes gained putting. I'm interested in seeing some of his shots this weekend, in particular his putting routine/stroke.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

As much belly aching as there is about the USGA's setups at the US Open, they're doing the right things, given their goal - to "protect" par.

The guys on tour are just too good for width and angles to keep scoring in check. They're so good that they can overcome having the "wrong" angle into a green, because they're still hitting from fairway. For one, they can bomb it far enough that they're hitting shorter clubs. And they can hit it high, and spin it.

Oh, it's gotta play firm and fast for that design to protect par? What happened last year? It was firm and fast, and they torched it. What's that, it was TOO firm, and not windy enough? Looks like they did pretty ok yesterday in soft conditions, with more breeze.

You know how you can keep them from hitting it close? Narrow the fairways, and make that rough nasty.

I dont see how its rated that high. The course is absolutely wide open with massive greens - this is the very kind of course I would expect these guys to tear up.

> @dcmidnight said:

> I dont see how its rated that high. The course is absolutely wide open with massive greens - this is the very kind of course I would expect these guys to tear up.

CR is almost all from yardage.

The slope is 134. Some of these other courses are like 76/150. Now, slope SHOULDN'T make much of a difference in scoring to these guys, but who knows. Some of the slope/rating stuff really starts to break down when you get into the pros. . .for instance. a 68 on a course rated 76/150 goes into the system as a "worse" score than a 68 on a course rated 76/135. The first score would go in as a +6.0 differential. The second score would go in as a 6.7 differential.

Also, "76" might be the rating for how it generally plays, but if they have it firm. it could effectively play like it's 7000. Also the 76 might reflect predominant wind, which might be down for this tournament.

But, even with pros, you don't get tournaments too often where guys shoot 12 under the course rating for 4 days straight.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

last year -23 won. not -30. big difference. the rating makes sense to me. 76 is because it's 7400 yards at par 71. It's also 134. Turf valley's open course at 6700 yards is 134 from the back tees. The primary defense of the course is wind. last year it was calm. this year it's wet. it's like a british open in that sense. when the conditions are ripe for scoring they can annihilate a place.

All that said, to test the pros they need long rough, trees, insane greens, and tucked pins.

I think that the tournament that best demonstrates just how good the pros are is ... the Zurich Classic? The scores those teams shoot in the four ball are just INSANE. Go clicking around on high level amateur four ball tournaments. Or the USGA four ball qualifiers. The top ams, all + handicaps just make way fewer birdies. The pros in that format shoot way lower scores than any two ams do. It's amazing. In general I find the birdie fests even more remarkable than the US Opens or the events where -7 wins.

I'm not going to do a detailed blow-by-blow of my round, but I played the MSGA qual at Mountain Branch yesterday.

I was mostly happy with the way I managed my game, and the mental side of things. I just didn't play as well as I needed to.

I got myself in trouble off the tee once all day, and made a routine bogey out of it. Otherwise, driving was aces. Peppering the fairways. Irons were fine. Couple mis-clubs in wind, but I left myself in the smart places. I had a bunch of really good birdie looks, but only canned two of them. My chipping/pitching stunk. I was leaving myself straight forward shots when I missed greens, and then hitting it to like 10-12ft. That ain't gonna cut it. Just led to a bucket load of bogeys. I missed a 3-footer for bird, and had one 3-jack, but overall I was happy with my putting. I don't feel like I've practiced aimpoint well enough to really use it under the gun, so I was just going with my gut reads. My lines were just not quite there, considering my speed control was very consistent.

Pro (playing pro, not club pro) kid I played with fired 71. Save for my awful second on 18, I feel like I was right there with him all day, tee to green. But goodness gracious, he scored the ball like... a pro. Absolutely one of the best putters I've ever seen. I know that's a bold proclamation to make off a single round, but he was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, and it really motivated me to work on my scoring.

I made some mistakes, but really was able to grind through. I feel very good about that.

I realized last night cleaning my stuff that I had made a big error failing to identify my ball after an awful second shot on 18, which cost me 1-3 strokes. I'll always be very diligent about ensuring I know exactly what golf ball I'm playing going forward in comps. Live, and learn.

I was mentally wiped after. I wasn't really sure if I had enjoyed it. After a few hours, and a whole lot of calories (for a wispy guy, at least), I was ready to sign up for another tournament, and dying to get out to work things out with my short game.

• Like 2

> @FAbb said:

> I realized last night cleaning my stuff that I had made a big error failing to identify my ball after an awful second shot on 18, which cost me 1-3 strokes. I'll always be very diligent about ensuring I know exactly what golf ball I'm playing going forward in comps. Live, and learn.

>

> I was mentally wiped after. I wasn't really sure if I had enjoyed it. After a few hours, and a whole lot of calories (for a wispy guy, at least), I was ready to sign up for another tournament, and dying to get out to work things out with my short game.

Congrats man, this is awesome to read. Glad to see a lot of guys getting some more match/tournament experience out there.

So did you end up hitting the wrong ball or you hit right one but just realized you hadnt double checked them?

I got waxed in a match on Saturday and was pretty negative leaving the course. Walked through the match hole by hole and I really hadn't played that bad, just one of those things. After I got home, cleaned up and had some food, I was already pulling the putter out of my bag and hitting practice putts, thinking about how to get back and practice the next day. Its funny how much a few hours can help.

> @FAbb said:

> I'm not going to do a detailed blow-by-blow of my round, but I played the MSGA qual at Mountain Branch yesterday.

>

> I was mostly happy with the way I managed my game, and the mental side of things. I just didn't play as well as I needed to.

>

> I got myself in trouble off the tee once all day, and made a routine bogey out of it. Otherwise, driving was aces. Peppering the fairways. Irons were fine. Couple mis-clubs in wind, but I left myself in the smart places. I had a bunch of really good birdie looks, but only canned two of them. My chipping/pitching stunk. I was leaving myself straight forward shots when I missed greens, and then hitting it to like 10-12ft. That ain't gonna cut it. Just led to a bucket load of bogeys. I missed a 3-footer for bird, and had one 3-jack, but overall I was happy with my putting. I don't feel like I've practiced aimpoint well enough to really use it under the gun, so I was just going with my gut reads. My lines were just not quite there, considering my speed control was very consistent.

>

> Pro (playing pro, not club pro) kid I played with fired 71. Save for my awful second on 18, I feel like I was right there with him all day, tee to green. But goodness gracious, he scored the ball like... a pro. Absolutely one of the best putters I've ever seen. I know that's a bold proclamation to make off a single round, but he was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, and it really motivated me to work on my scoring.

>

> I made some mistakes, but really was able to grind through. I feel very good about that.

>

> I realized last night cleaning my stuff that I had made a big error failing to identify my ball after an awful second shot on 18, which cost me 1-3 strokes. I'll always be very diligent about ensuring I know exactly what golf ball I'm playing going forward in comps. Live, and learn.

>

> I was mentally wiped after. I wasn't really sure if I had enjoyed it. After a few hours, and a whole lot of calories (for a wispy guy, at least), I was ready to sign up for another tournament, and dying to get out to work things out with my short game.

FABB - nice stuff. How did you stack up to the Pro from a distance off the tee perspective?

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

It's sort of convoluted. The gist of it is that I hit an awful second shot that donked off the path into a high grass area, and we found my ball in a clear spot, but I didn't realize at the time that it was my ball. I picked it up, abandoned the search after 3 minutes, and played the hole out from my provisional. It would've been a straight forward pitch to the green. Bogey would've been a bad score from where that ball was. Par was most likely, and birdie was at least somewhat possible. Instead, it was a lost ball double.

I didn't realize it was my ball because I thought it was supposed to have a sharpie line on it. I started the round with a ball that had a line, and just assumed I had all marked balls in the bag. In reality, I had been playing an unmarked ball since the fourth hole, without realizing because I wasn't actually using the line on the ball for putting. I tossed a sleeve in the bag Wednesday night, without checking to see if I had marked them.

It was a mistake. Doesn't make or break the end result, but it's something to just learn and be more diligent about going forward.

I don't know why I thought -30 won last year. Not sure what I was looking at.

We had individual matches for "Colony Collapse Disorder" yesterday at Waverly. I hit one in the right rough off the first tee, had 105 in from a decent lie, and shanked a wedge OB. Other than that, I played the rest of the holes at +3.

Endless was totally solid, though and I never really had a chance. I was 5 down after 9. Got it closer after winning 11, 12, 13, but he was stroking on 4 of the last 5 holes and I needed to have a lead going into that stretch. I think he was net 72 and I was net 74 and the match was 3 & 1. So, it was there if I played a bit better, but I needed A-game.

I expected to get outdriven all day, but he got up and down a couple times and only had 1 3-putt. He hit a 100 foot, triple-breaker to about a foot on hole 7. It was putt of the day, by far.

Q and Andy had a great match. Q was giving him 17. Big swings were Andy making bogey after hitting his SECOND shot into the hazard on 12 (he made a bogey putt from outside Q's birdie putter), then he hit one into some left woods on 15 and hit a recovery shot to about 20 feet. Andy made clutch putts all day. And I think his next match, he's going to be handing out about 17 strokes.

Waverly was in great shape. Greens were a little slow, but they had mown that day. We played it down and outside of being in a divot, didn't have a bad lie all day.

Good times. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the matches play out.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green