2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

BCC east hosted the maryland am last year. i think the only time they would allow practice rounds was after 5 PM on weekends. 0 availability during the week. LOL at that. i wouldn't buy the foursome because that's a super valid question.

private golf in baltimore is soooo good. all the rando courses are somewhere between fun and really good. like hillendale or rolling road or suburban or caves valley. totally worth playing. if you want to try a new course grab one of the foursomes that are way more affordable. just my 2 cents

matt kuchar bogied his first hole. so annoying.

Yeah I couldnt click on the link to find out what restrictions there were on it but I wouldn't bid without knowing that.

I guess my first surprise is that it was a foursome. When my wife bid on the round at Congressional - it was only for 3 bc they made a member go with you. Also annoying.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @bayrat88 said:

> Domes - why not just get a 46* wedge instead of trying to find a PW from a set?

Good question. I have a 50* vokey that I don't hit well at all, but I could maybe try a different wedge at 46*. We'll see. I would rather get a set PW than a "wedge" PW for forgiveness purposes. I have a MP-64 PW that I could use, but I want something lighter and bigger.

> @baddomes said:

> Any of you dudes have a JPX 800 Pro (or newer JPX) PW laying around? I lost mine like 5 years ago and am going to switch back to those clubs for a while. none on global golf or 2nd swing. Might just buy a new JPX 919 model if nothing else.

>

> Some guy on ebay wanted over $65 for one that was really beat up.

>

> The thing to note is that you can't trade in old iron sets without the PW, so I don't want to take one from anybody where that is still the plan.

https://www.ebay.com/i/312539355369?chn=ps

> @dcmidnight said:

> Yeah I couldnt click on the link to find out what restrictions there were on it but I wouldn't bid without knowing that.

>

> I guess my first surprise is that it was a foursome. When my wife bid on the round at Congressional - it was only for 3 bc they made a member go with you. Also annoying.

Yeah, I won an auction to play Congo many moons ago, and it was for a threesome. The woman hosting us rode along in a cart. She wasn't even a golfer. Sadly the Blue course was closed then, prepping for the Open, so we played the Gold course.

> @2moreTerps said:

> > @baddomes said:

> > Any of you dudes have a JPX 800 Pro (or newer JPX) PW laying around? I lost mine like 5 years ago and am going to switch back to those clubs for a while. none on global golf or 2nd swing. Might just buy a new JPX 919 model if nothing else.

> >

> > Some guy on ebay wanted over $65 for one that was really beat up.

> >

> > The thing to note is that you can't trade in old iron sets without the PW, so I don't want to take one from anybody where that is still the plan.

>

> https://www.ebay.com/i/312539355369?chn=ps

Domes I live close to the 2nd swing so I can go look for you this weekend if you’d like.

> @gsrjc said:

> > @2moreTerps said:

> > > @baddomes said:

> > > Any of you dudes have a JPX 800 Pro (or newer JPX) PW laying around? I lost mine like 5 years ago and am going to switch back to those clubs for a while. none on global golf or 2nd swing. Might just buy a new JPX 919 model if nothing else.

> > >

> > > Some guy on ebay wanted over $65 for one that was really beat up.

> > >

> > > The thing to note is that you can't trade in old iron sets without the PW, so I don't want to take one from anybody where that is still the plan.

> >

> > https://www.ebay.com/i/312539355369?chn=ps

> Domes I live close to the 2nd swing so I can go look for you this weekend if you’d like.

>

EC that is very nice of you to offer but please do not go to 2nd swing on my account.

The one 2more sent sounds like it has to be reshafted, and I'm thinking about just doing a Cleveland CBX. Waiting for a Discount Dan's quote. The CBX is an old-guy favorite.

> @baddomes said:

> > @gsrjc said:

> > > @2moreTerps said:

> > > > @baddomes said:

> > > > Any of you dudes have a JPX 800 Pro (or newer JPX) PW laying around? I lost mine like 5 years ago and am going to switch back to those clubs for a while. none on global golf or 2nd swing. Might just buy a new JPX 919 model if nothing else.

> > > >

> > > > Some guy on ebay wanted over $65 for one that was really beat up.

> > > >

> > > > The thing to note is that you can't trade in old iron sets without the PW, so I don't want to take one from anybody where that is still the plan.

> > >

> > > https://www.ebay.com/i/312539355369?chn=ps

> > Domes I live close to the 2nd swing so I can go look for you this weekend if you’d like.

> >

>

> EC that is very nice of you to offer but please do not go to 2nd swing on my account.

>

> The one 2more sent sounds like it has to be reshafted, and I'm thinking about just doing a Cleveland CBX. Waiting for a Discount Dan's quote. The CBX is an old-guy favorite.

No bother at all. Wife and daughter are gone this weekend for a girl's weekend before the new baby comes so I have time to go check out golf stuff without her knowing. I was planning to go anyways and check out if there is anything cool. I'll let you know if i see anything.

This sounds awesome, going after a few. If u win, might open it up to hive if my standard foursome isn’t interested.

> @Ocgolfrick said:

> Decent auction items for Maryland Junior Golf this year:

> https://www.32auctions.com/organizations/43343/auctions/63769?t=all

> Pikewood National is available, but I know we're all waiting for Kent01putt to put together that group event for us there gratis. Royal New Kent and Suburban look good if the bids stay low enough.

I played a tournament at BCC years ago. The pro staff, including bag drop staff wore coat and ties. Must have been 90° that day. Of the pros and assistants wear a coat for a tournament that's cool. Overboard in my opinion.

Having said that. Great course, club house practice facility. I would not pay $400 plus to play it.

The Hunt Valley is a good deal and a really nice course. $300 for the West at BCC is a good deal as well. Heck $300 at Bulle is a deal.

BCC east is ok. There is only two really good holes but no bad ones. One par 5 you can reach in two but you need to hit the tee shot over the maintenance facility(blind shot). It has good par 3's. 2More if you like Rolling road you must like being hit by golf balls. That place is crazy with fairways crossing and balls flying everywhere around you.

> @gsrjc said:

> Any insights on playing Cattail? Going there today to check it out with some buddies.

There's weird holes there, but it's mostly right in front of you.

I played it better the first time I played it than I did the second time FWIW.

Just enjoy it and figure out the holes for next time. There's a few weird ones. There's some places where there's more room than it looks from the tee. I normally hate the advice "keep it below the hole" but if the greens are fast there, definitely cheat below.

Practice area and putting green are nice if you get there early.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @gsrjc said:

> > Any insights on playing Cattail? Going there today to check it out with some buddies.

>

> There's weird holes there, but it's mostly right in front of you.

>

> I played it better the first time I played it than I did the second time FWIW.

>

> Just enjoy it and figure out the holes for next time. There's a few weird ones. There's some places where there's more room than it looks from the tee. I normally hate the advice "keep it below the hole" but if the greens are fast there, definitely cheat below.

>

> Practice area and putting green are nice if you get there early.

Thanks Mark. I was told to play from the tips so that I hit driver more as the first few holes depending on the tee box may not require driver.

Well, 2, 4, 5 and 6 aren't really driver holes. Maybe not even from the tips. depends if you like hitting 215 yard cute cuts.

I hit driver on 2, 4 and 6, but it's more like a 215 cute cut. can't play a cut on 5. And even on 2, I was thru the fairway and the bunker. 11 is probably not driver. 14 is. 11 can be.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

People who say "this hole is easier from further back because you can hit driver" are the funniest people in the world.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @FAbb said:

> One little case of the hotel bois, and domes is reconfiguring everything for max forgiveness.

>

> What's next, a squarestrike wedge?

Domes and I brought 7 clubs each to TR. Instead of whatever he's been hitting, he brought the JPX-800s. I think he had a moment like I did when I switched back from the Cleveland CG-1's to the MX-300's.

Like, "why haven't I been playing these all along?"

I never liked the looks of the 8XX's, but I love the MX-300 and JPX-9XX lines.

Also, I wasn't keeping tracking, but I believe the SHANK SCORE from tobacco road was about 4-0.

I was the 4.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

How many forced layup tee shots do you put up with before a course is one you avoid playing regularly? I feel like that's rarely a conscious design choice, but rather a limitation of a bad piece of land or forced by housing projects. Once you are getting higher than 1, maybe 2, of those hole it wears a little thin on me. And the shorter it is, the more it grinds my gears. If I'm hitting 6 iron off the tee and it isn't a par 3, I'm not pleased.

Bristow Manor is like that because it has a big creek running through the property. I haven't played Cross Creek, but from what I've heard that has a bunch of holes like that. The 4th (formerly 13th) hole at Northwest is a short layup. Timbers has a few, but none are too egregious.

> @SullGolf said: Bristow Manor is like that because it has a big creek running through the property.

>

I have played this one numerous times and it irritates me every single time i have to do it. The other problem i have with the course is that the customer service is non-existent. I don't ask for much but you can at least act like you want people to play the course and enjoy it.

> @SullGolf said:

> How many forced layup tee shots do you put up with before a course is one you avoid playing regularly?

What do you mean by forced layup? Meaning, its a hole you cant just straight bang the D off the tee?

If I have to hit say a mid iron, I'd consider that a forced layup. But if I have to hit 3i or 3w because I cant hit D - I dont think thats too terrible.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

> If I have to hit say a mid iron, I'd consider that a forced layup. But if I have to hit 3i or 3w because I cant hit D - I dont think thats too terrible.

It really depends on the hole. For a par 4, I don't mind not hitting driver or 3 wood......but for a par 5 (especially every one of the par 5s) it's a bit much

We can let "forced layup" mean whatever people want it to mean, if it rustles their jimmies. Totally subjective.

Like the 12th hole at Worthington, I generally don't think of it as a forced layup just because you can't bang driver out there. But I'm sure someone else would think of it as one and get irritated by it.

We could grade it on a curve of how many clubs less than driver you have to hit. If I'm hitting 1 or 2 clubs less than driver I don't even think about it. If I'm forced to hit 3 or more clubs less than driver, it's usually (but not always) a sign of a funky hole. And I'm not considering holes where I'm hitting a conservative tee shot but there is a high risk, high reward option to go after.