2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I did not realize that OCCantChip's wife was STILL enrolled at VT the last time that Virginia beat them. When you get a chance, be sure to ask OCCantChip about his lone horse riding experience at the Grand Canyon.

It, um, did not go well...

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Is anyone planning on or thinking about playing in the Winter Pro Am Scramble on the 20th at Woodmore?

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

One nice thing about the late fall equipment announcements, the current year stuff goes off a cliff in price. And now I have a brand new F9 driver coming my way because why not.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

i chipped for a while at lunch today. i was setting little goals for myself. it's interesting*. let me get 7 out of 10 or better within a club length. I could do it. but i couldn't get 3 of 10 past the hole and within a club length. i'm really enjoying getting better with my 54. I'm hitting a lot more running low shots around the green.

*"lol no it's not!" says everyone reading it.

Every year around this time, I start to think (and someone inevitably posts) that the thread/WRX/golf/planet is dying.

Turns out, people don't want to play golf when the wind chill is in the 30s, and don't want to talk about golf when they can't play, and don't want to post on a golf forum if they aren't talking about golf.

But I get fooled every year none-the-less.

I did this at Norbeck and kept pretty good stats. Made a string circle with the radius of a putter around the hole and held it down with pushpins. 3 shots each round. I found it important to reset after each round.

Don't think I ever "used" these stats, but it was interesting to see. Could certainly break this out into more analysis if I wanted to (rough/fairway, uphill/downhill, etc), and I think it would be beneficial to hit from each position with different clubs.

TA12O28C95OQ.png

I ordered a new pair of golf shoes from DSG on Friday to take advantage of the 25% off sale they were running. Opened up the package last night to find out they had sent me a used pair somebody must have returned. Even had some grass left in the spikes! So I get DSG customer service on the phone and they tell me that they are going to order me a new pair for $0 and that all I have to do is drop the used pair off at a physical store. Ok cool. Wake up this morning to see that my Paypal account has been refunded the amount of the shoes. Not part of the discussion I had last night.

So now I am not sure if I actually have a new pair of shoes coming, but I got all of my money back and I still have the used pair. I'm thinking at minimum I got a slightly used pair of shoes for free. And there could still be a new pair coming. I can work with that.

I bought 5 bottles of liquor, a whole host of new fishing gear and a washer dryer on Black Friday this year.

And a pair of weatherproof Adidas golf shoe/boots that I hope I never need. But for $80 they were worth a shot.

Almost no golf for me in the last two months so just wasnt as fired up to buy a bunch of golf stuff.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Price was definitely right. I had bought the Nike ones before my trip to Scotland and they were godawful uncomfortable to get on and off - just the way the shell was designed. Never needed to wear them so I returned them to Zappos. These definitely look more like a "normal" shoe to get on and off.

I think City bought the FJ boots? They look like the Nike ones I think in that they have that shell around the actual shoe.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I have the FJ ones. They're money for wet protection. THe only time I've ever got a drop of moisture in them was at the 7's this year. I hope that that was just "leak thru" and not "they've lost their super powers."

On Black Friday, I ordered a Kindle Oasis. The last week is the ONLY time I've ever seen them marked down. They always hold their price, even the previous generation, but Friday, the newest one was marked down to $175 (from $250); this week, I've seen the previous gen Oasis for $150. I don't exactly need it, but I don't exactly don't. I was going to get one eventually. My screen has some damage and the battery is starting to sag.

On Cyber Monday, I ordered hot sauce. He was 40-50% off on a bunch of stuff. (*)

So, like yesterday, today, tomorrow, sunset is 4:46. Then for like 5 days, sunset is 4:45. Then, it starts going back up again. The days get shorter until the 21st, but the sun starts setting a little bit later starting soon. That's all I care about.

I went out yesterday by myself. Greens were lightning. It's crazy, but the course is in the best shape it's been in all year. The rough is cut down. For whatever reason, they're moving the tees around a little more. They've got some weird pins out there. It's like they know no one is around to B ! T C H about things so they mess around a little. For those who know, the pin was way back left on Hialeah 13 yesterday. I was playing a few balls. I had one like 6 feet short of the hole. I hit a long putt that almost went in, started walking up to it. . .it got to the hole and rolled back lower than the one that was at 6 feet.

Greens are SOFT but fast, so you can hit stuff close, but you need to really be in the right position on the green and you need to alter your chipping. . . .they land soft, and they'll take some spin but once they get rolling, they keep on rolling. Getting out for a few with PQ and TVJ this afternoon.

(*) This is his flagship sauce, I'd say. . .it's so much a "paste" that to apply it, I dip a chop stick into the bottle and just spread what sticks to the chopstick on my food. It instantenously alters your body chemistry. When I tried the first dab, I could feel it at different levels in my stomach. . .the pain literally just traveled downward. Reaper Squezins from puckerbutt.com

3ZR1FB6BGM4S.jpg

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

went to puckerbutt.com and got fired from my job. Anyone else?

I have an old version of the adidas tour 360's and they were (still are) awesome in the rain, but they're close to dead. These boots will replace them. As long as the bottom couple of inches is as waterproof as the tour 360s, that will work for me. not playing in water that might come up to my ankles.

Got out for 9 holes walking on Black Friday at my parents place in Pittsburgh. Wife wanted to get some exercise, but wasn't into playing, so she carried my 6 club bag and my dad and I played. It was unbelievable.

For the past month, I stopped caring about my golf swing and only caring about contact, and it's been a nice experiment. I generally like City's approach to the game, and he was preaching this, so I figured I'd try it. My coordination, and specifically my hands, have always been excellent (ask your mom). I've seen a big improvement on ball striking just by letting my hands execute my intent. Still focus on tempo and grip pressure, but everything else is how-club-meets-ball.

The biggest weakness right now is wedges. Direction is fine, but I need to work on getting comfortable with distances. Putting is always a work in process.

Friday I hit all 7 fairways, with a couple of A++ drives, and missed both par 3s by a combined total of 12 inches. I'm drawing my irons more than I like with this new swing, and I think the irons I'm using might be soft (dynalite gold xp) for me. Trying to get on a mizuno shaft optimizer to see what it spits out and then start looking around. DG 120 in the 4i is pretty tough to elevate, but it's also a 20* club. I think I like the DG 120 in my PW.

• Like 1

"Listen ,boss, this whole Puckerbutt.com thing, look, its just..just a shopping website I'm telling you."

"Yeah, I get the whole optics of it boss, but really its not what you think."

"What do you mean how did I hear about it?"

"Oh, uh, just, ah, just some guys on a golf forum I go on occasionally."

"Yes, its all men on there why do you ask?"

• Like 1
Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

If you are comfortable with Dynamic Gold still, the AMT White is the same thing just with lighter shafts in the long irons.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Wow. Just moved to Clarendon area Arlington. 621 pages behind. A lot of catching up to do. I have no idea the tone of the thread but I hope I’m not out of place saying the convenience of the Pinecrest TrackMan rental is amazing. Used it today and will be doing so again over the winter. Seems like most golf (or everything?) is 40 minutes away. But if anyone needs or wouldn’t mind an extra, let me know. Could use some golf buds in the area.

Realized after the golf boot discussion I had never gotten a shipping confirmation from Adidas. Went back to look and it looks like I never actually ordered them. You ever go through a Paypal checkout and it sort of takes you to the Paypal page, you click finish order - and it doesnt really finish the order, it just takes you back into your cart? Well I must have closed it after that because I figured it was done.

Good news is that since I fake-ordered them, the price dropped another $13. $75 shipped on the shoes.

Ordered the hot mitts for the pushy too, plugs into the USB port. Most unnecessary purchase so far this off-season.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

what you don't realize is that that almost definitely didn't happen at his office party.

That's a normal day in the office. You pretty much want to think . . .

https://media.giphy.com/media/ulEXNuoW3DHLW/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/520wgV7LZOZ1K/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/FxkDFjnaN9Iv6/giphy.gif

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

we played yesterday afternoon. PQ drops a bomb for birdie on 1. He gets up and down from a crazy position on 2 to a tough pin (I 3 putted). he gets up and down on 3 from where he can't see the surface, up and down on 4. On 5, he hits a tree, lays up to 100 yards, gets up and down. hole 6, he flies the green hits a cart path, and gets up and down from 25 yards over the green. finally, he 3-putts 7, gets up and down on 8, then gets up and down from 100 yards on 9 for birdie.

It was astounding. Meanwhile I was pounding fairways and greens and shot like +4.

It was so cloudy that it was quite dark around 4:30 but we decided to play 3 more holes. That's when the wind picked up and it started raining and it was like 35º but we played 3 holes -- red tees -- on the back anyway. . .we were basically jogging to our balls. I played a 3 hole match. . .no lasers. It was beyond ready golf. . .I was 100 yards down the fairway when they were still hitting. Better than a couch, though, or watching a guy hold a penny in his butt cheeks (I think).

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green