2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Lovely morning here in southern CarrollCo. Hard freeze last night left the greens solid as a parking lot. Practice bunker was like blasting out of asphalt. Gentle breeze from the SE had me hitting hold off draws into a L->R breeze on the range. Loved it!

On an unrelated point, I've now seen "The Irishman" twice. While there are some great individual scenes, I still don't know what the movie is supposed to be about. If it's the career arc of the lead character, Frank Sheeran, then the Hoffa scenes dominate too much of the movie. Also, there's no central scene where he turns from a Hoffa supporter to the Hoffa assassin. It just sort of happens. If it's the rise and fall of Jimmy Hoffa, then there's too much unrelated extraneous material. The whole Joe Gallo part, for instance, was unrelated to the Hoffa narrative.

I thought Joe Pesci was great, however. That was an Academy Award performance.

it's so bad.

It goes back to college (and certainly before college). Here's an article that talks about it. That book "Slaying the Tiger" is really good if anyone is looking for a good golf read without the hagiography you usually get in sports books. . . Patrick Reed's controversial past, highs and lows

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

You guys following this volcano story?

Check out this guy's thread on twitter. Just nuts.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I will say this. . .going out by being blown up by a volcano. . .sort of a boss move.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Weekend Update:

Saw Knives Out on Sat. night. Great movie. Really fun old school murder mystery. It seems like they don't make many movies like this anymore and it was quite enjoyable.

Balled some ball golf with Domes, Sully, and Seigel at UMD Sunday morning. After a frost delay, they sent everyone off in a shotgun. We were group 2a and never waited on a single shot. Perfect winter golf. We played in like 3:20 or so with four walkers. As a group, I thought we all played fairly well. That said, Domes put up a particularly good score the back shooting a 1 under 35. Back to back birdies on 10 and 11 to get off to a hot start that was capped by him making a 15 footer for par on 18 to get around in 35.

• Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

I caught Knives Out last week. It's good. It's a good mystery but also works some politics into it. I think this has been a great year for movies, and there's more coming out that look to be good.

I played ball golf Saturday. We had 3 "A" players and 2 "B" players and we played left/right. it was a funny day. . .hole 1, all 3 of us "A" players hit bombs off the tee and we're a team. The B golfers are out of the hole and way back. Long story short, we make 3 bogeys. Their one guy gets up and down for bogey from like 100 yards and it carries over.

Anyway, hole 3, Q and I hit two shots tight. We're teamed up with the other A player. We win 3 hole carry-over, the greenie and two birdies. 6 point hole and the rout was on.

We would up at roughly 20 dots a piece for the A guys and 8 each for the other guys. It's pay up the ladder and so they both lost about 36 each and we all won about 24 each. And, that was after hole 17, I made greenie/birdie/carry-over when I was paired with the 2 B guys. It could have been a lot worse. I felt a little bad. No one wanted to show up to a cold game on Saturday and lose $40 but whatever. I bought all their drinks.

Usually we don't play that game with strokes because it's so random who you get teamed up with, but it was like all day, the two B guys were on the same side.

The "advantage" we do in that game is we let whoever is trailing hit last, but it just wasn't dawning on the guy that he could control his own fortune.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

UMD golf yesterday with Siegel, Sull, and xhoop. Weather turned out to be very nice, Shotgun positioning was perfect, course was in good shape. Not much else you can ask for in December.

Siegel was SMOKING the ball off the tee. hoop said he was hitting it like this in the scramble. Siegel is one of the more fit people we know, he rock climbs, and it looked like he was finally transferring that athleticism into his drives yesterday. His best might have been the first of the day, with group 2B on the tee waiting for us to hit. bombed one down to the flat to the right of the hazard. what do you think about that, 2B?

Sull had a good round. Found the green on 14 (playing 209) with his 3w. Also hit a stunner 3w into the green to 10ish feet to a back pin on 13 after catching one fat out of the fairway bunker. That was awesome.

Hoop's shot of the day was also a 3w on #12 after his drive that [REDACTED] left him 240 uphill to the green, which he promptly stuffed to 6 feet, but couldn't get the putt to drop. Routine par.

My putting was good, but my search for new irons is over. I wasn't really keeping my head behind the ball, which was causing my draws/hooks. Fixed that issue yesterday, and hit it great. Used the same ball all round, which is a feat given the number of leaves that are down out there. Driver had very little curvature on it, and I was trusting it like whoa. Back 9 it really came together. It's been a while since I was under par for 9 holes, but happy to drain the last curler on 18 to make it happen.

• Like 1

All I want to be able to is quote the part of domes' post where he says he was trusting it like whoa.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZeF906Ue7qwu0JeTcx/giphy.gifThe new quote system is the worst "feature" I've ever seen in a message board.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I think Siegel/Hoop/Domes/Me is the most common foursome I've played with in the last few years. It's not that common, but maybe 2-4 times a year. Yesterday was probably the best I've seen that group collectively play.

Siegel's ball flight has definitely improved. In the past I thought he had a weird low knuckly flight, and it's significantly higher now. Much better looking flight, and much better results. I didn't make any significant putts and had one F drive, so I scored about as bad as I could for how I played. Otherwise relatively solid. Domes' putting was the opposite and he made a bunch of good mid-range putts. Hoop played a pretty steady Hoop game. His shot on 12 was fantastic. From about 230-240 to 6 feet. On 13 he hit one that was nearly as good from about 220 but just rolled about a yard too long.

Weather around 40 and sunny is really some of my favorite to play in. Still quite comfortable to me, but it's cold enough to keep a lot of people home. We played our pace with no pressure from behind and no one in front. Cant ask for much more than that.

You mean I'm going to have to wait 5 more days for Georgia Southern vs. Liberty?

I hope the caterers can reschedule.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

CZCGKFG81526.jpegAgree with Sully. Sunny 40 degrees with little wind is awesome for December golf. Played Lakewood with a buddy yesterday and had a blast.

On the 17th I hit my ball into the bunker and this crazy big deer would not allow me to play the ball. Every time we scared it away and I tried to get into the bunker, it would come back and glare at us. Must have a deer version of mad cow disease! Pretty sure Sully and his 3 iron would have saved the day.

Srixon QStar Tours are great for winter golf if you haven’t tried them.

• Like 1