MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

If I remember correctly, 12 is that double 90* dogleg with the punchbowl green and 10 foot flagstick.

#5 is another good example (i was getting #4 and #5 mixed up above) I think you can stay to the right and kind of snake around the dunes, but it seems like you'd just have to chip around it to get onto the green. And if you get into the waste areas on that hole or any of the other big ones, you'd have to just pick your ball up.

Now that I'm thinking about it more, I'd take my wife to play PGA National before Tobacco Road.

edit - sterling is right. #13 is the hole I was thinking of.

• Like 1

So Mrs DC is a good example who would be struggling AF on this course. She hits it a long way, as she says, she is around every green in regulation. But there are some greens there where it might take 5-6 shots for her from just off the green.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

12 is the hole people forget, but it's a good hole. It is what Sterling said it is. . .long dog leg left. The front of that green has a TON of slope.

This is awesome. . .racing drones tracking golf shots. . .

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Joe is a great dude and a stick. Passionate about the game and calling out the BS abut it.

Also is a phenomenal chef

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Since we're talking about TR and Strantz's courses, has anyone played Stonehouse near Williamsburg since it reopened? We're going on a family spring break trip to Williamsburg in April and I might sneak away early one morning for a round and Stonehouse is close. Royal New Kent could be an option too, but it's a longer drive from Williamsburg.

Only thing I dont know about is current conditions. It went to seed for so long I wonder how much work its going to take to get back.

• Like 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

you really have to be careful watching youtube videos. this dude from txg just hit a ball that "carried" 316 yards. His ball speed. 168.3. Hmmmmmm.

So I went and checked out the 2018 match play finale between kisner and bubba. let's do some comparisons:

kisner: ball speed/carry, 163,266, 167/255, 161/263, 165/287, 164/289

bubba: ball speed/carry, 183/293, 183/320, 185/326

point is. In real life (not on a launch monitor) you're never ever ever carrying the ball 316 with a ball speed on 168.3. Just isn't happening.

I didn't realize Stonehouse had reopened, but I will absolutely insist you play RNK. It's what, an extra 15 minutes? Saw RNK recently referred to as Strantz's best design (maybe in Shipnuck's story that came out this week). That's high, high praise. I played it last spring, shortly after it reopened and was pretty much blown away. Perfect blend of Strantz on decaf.

Also, thanks for the linksoul code.

• Like 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

I watched that TXG wind video.

I think the overall point is good. . .you usually need more into the wind than you normally think you would.

But, I hate seeing shots tested "into the wind" on trackman. Maybe it's right. Maybe not. It's tough to test outside in wind because. .. well just because. . .you don't know exact wind speed. You don't know if it's changing. you don't know the wind higher up.

I think one thing people overlook (or just don't know) is that wind resistance increases as the square of the velocity. I know it's more detailed than that and there's spin and turbulence and all that, but the long and short of it is that if the wind increases from 0 to 10 mph and that is 1 club from stock for you. Then, then wind going from 10 mph to 20 mph is not just "two clubs" from stock. It's two clubs from your 10mph club.

Also -- and now I'm getting way past how much I think about this -- ball speed figures in. That's one reason why (as they say in that video) a 60 yard shot is less affected than a 160 yard shot. You can't just say "60 yard shot is reduced by 10% and 160 yard shot is reduced by 10%". If the 60 yard shot is reduced by 10%, the 160 yard shot might be reduced by 20%.

^^^^^^^^^

And, on the course, I basically ignore ALL of that and just "feel" the shot. Recently, I was into a pretty heavy wind (on O-16 if it matters) and I had like 135 in to a front pin. I pulled a 6 iron -- a 175 club -- because it felt right.

If I thought it through, that sounds like way too much, but also I had like 155 to the back of the green, and I didn't think the 6 was going to go anywhere near 155 anyway. Worse case if I catch that is a 35 footer back towards the hole. Also, I figured I'd have to hit a 7 iron perfectly just to get it there and the front of that green is narrower than the middle/back of the green. And, even if I did get a 7 there, the ball would be coming straight down with spin and come off the front of the green. Anyway, 6 iron, pin high, left fringe, 2-frutt. 3 club wind. 2 guys came up short.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Day 3- Pinehurst #9 and #8

Subtitle: "The Corruption of AltSean"

After breakfast, we take the shuttle over to #9 where AltSean and Siegel159 were already warming up on the putting green. We had a good time, because we had two things in common already, in that:

A) We didn't feel like we needed to play No.2 like everyone else.

B) We're Cheap.

So we warm up, and it was the windiest of the three days. We get to the first tee, and I try to think of something to keep everyone's interest. So I announce:

"OK Guys, $2 Nassau, 6-6-6, COD- Cart, Other, Driver"

ShoreEngineer: "Sounds good"

Siegel159: "Like it"

AltSean (bewildered): "HUH? Was that English?"

OCGolfRick, ShoreEngineer, and Siegel159 reaction:

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3V0lO7WoLeRAIN8c/giphy.gif

Poor thing, he'd never gambled on golf before.

I patiently explained that he would be Siegel's partner for the first 6 holes, then mine, then ShoreEngineer's.

"Ohhhhhhh... got it."

Tee off, and I stripe dead middle of the fairway. We play Blues at 6600, and the other 3 guys are left. They punch out, and I take 3 wood just short of the green. AltSean dumps his 3rd in the bunker, Siegel159 and ShoreEngineer go long left. Feeling good, I decide to go with the low runner chip, which trickles over the green, into a bunker on the back. Blast out to 15 feet, miss the putt. In typical OCGolfRick luck, AltSean makes a sandy bogey and we lose the first. Second hole is the long par 3 with a total water carry. Siegel goes way long, but AltSean and ShoreEngineer find the water. Another 3 wood putt me over the back, but get up and down for par to tie the match. This is when it was dawning on AltSean how fun this could be. 3rd hole is the par 4 uphill with a tree and bunker on the right side, lots of room left. I took a line at the tree thinking everything would funnel down left. As it turns out, my ball stayed right there. So I've got no angle. I'm standing over my ball, looking to see about a low running punch 5 iron, when Siegel159 comes by and says something to the effect of: "Didn't you see this tree here when you teed off?"

AltSean (has a revelation): "You guys can smack talk during this?"

OCGolfRick: "Of course, that's the fun of it."

AltSean: "Ohhhhh..... got it."

Made a 6, but ShoreEngineer made a par so we go 1up. Next hole is the big dogleg to the right par 5- OB Left, Water right. ShoreEngineer steps up, ball rips left towards the Out of Bounds stakes.

AltSean: "YEAH BABY, GET THE F*CK OUT OF BOUNDS!!! GO BALL!!!!"

OCGolfRick "Ok ok ok, look , admire the enthusiasm, but, uh, ya gotta remember that guy is going to be your partner in a few holes. You want to root in your head for it to go out of bounds. Be more subtle on the verbal digs."

AltSean: "How?"

OCGolfRick: "Observe, young Paduan."

Siegel159 steps up to the tee, Also rips one left towards the Out of Bounds marker.

OCGolfRick and ShoreEngineer start nodding their heads sympathetically.

"Bad Break."

"Ach. You hate to see it."

"Really shouldn't be any OB on a golf course."

"Agree totally. Good luck with that next one Siegel."

AltSean: "Ohhhhh.. Got it."

As it turns out, AltSean got up and down to beat us that hole and we couldn't beat then on the 6th, so they beat us on the first six. AltSean and I combine on the next six to tie Siegel and ShoreEngineer, and at this point, AltSean has the full on gambling bug.

"Let's bet on which tree the Mon*key Squirrel is going to run up next!" It got really worrisome. I fear that he's going to end up in some Gambler Anonymous group because of us.

(Met the world slowest single while playing. I can't do better than Siegel's rant. Please refer to it in the Google Photo Album.)

Siegel and I combine to win the last six, making ShoreEngineer the big loser. Move to #8. Due to logistics, we play together again on #8. We go to tee off, and meet a starter who's sole purpose in life is to give instructions on the first tee. If he doesn't, he apparently thinks the world will end.

"Welcome boys to #8! This Tom Fazio design will challenge the best of them. You boys played here before?"

OCGolfRick: "Yep". Driver in hand.

"Now we're going to be off the path today, we'd like you to follow the 90 degree rule when you make your turns. Do you guys know what a 90 degree rule is?"

OCGolfRick: "Yep" In stance.

"After you've turned 90 degrees, continue up the fairway , then make another 90 degree turn BACK to the cart path when you..."

OCGolfRick: "Got it" in downswing.

Played 6-6-6 again on #8- I was the big loser as I just didn't have a whole lot left in the tank especially on the back 9. I remember last year saying I liked #9 more than #8, but #8 was way better being drier this time. Much more open with a lot of variety of holes. Some guys said it had a Florida resort golf feel, I can see that. A really fun time with great guys. AltSean is really nice (especially compared to Siegel) and ShoreEngineer had the funniest comment about him on the way home.

"That guy really flies military helicopters?"

"Yep"

"I feel like if he were attacking someone he'd be waving with his head out the window and saying "SORRY!! REALLY SORRY ABOUT THIS!!! JUST DOING MY JOB!!!!""

• Like 3
Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

City, Yup - AltSean was trying to curry some favors. TR, from a design standpoint is a deconstructed masterpiece and fun to play even if you are not into golf course design theory. Sneek and I played Pine Needles( without corruption) also - great conditions with the overseeding. A milder but challenging Ross course compared to #2.

Having played #2, #4, #8, Dormie, MidPines and Pine Needles 2x each on separate trips, and TR 4x, I think I'm done with #2 for a few years.

I'll always tell anyone who has never played it that they HAVE to play it, but I'm at a "been there, done that" point with that particular course.

Right now, to me, #4 is more interesting. TR is more dramatic. #8 is more fun. MidPines is more varied. Pine Needles is more forgiving.

I still dislike Dormie.

I birdied #1 on No. 2 from 30 feet. We completed our round on that hole due to the Shotgun start. Good way to finish, fantastic memory.

Just finished 18 at Blue Mash. Been a long time since I've played here, it really reminded me how much I love this course. Fits me. Went 41/37 in some decent wind with two nice guys who asked me to join them on Hole 1. Shame MD is out of the hcp season, wish I could post this round.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

@eagle1997

Dormie is awesome and I agree #4 more exciting but #2 is a course on many people bucket list

protos F4

I know many here like Dormie. That's cool. It just doesn't fit my eye. I also find it annoyingly difficult. Couple really cool holes, some ok ones and some flat-out dumb ones. In my opinion.

Having the first tee time there and seeing the sun comes up while on the putting green is like a religious experience tho.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Pretty much agree with Eagle on all fronts, but my opinion is clearly colored by how I played — particularly on 8/9/2 and the the customer service at Dormie. I loved 4, MP, PN and TR. glad I can say I’ve played 2, but I genuinely like 4 better. I’d play 4 anytime, but want another crack at 2 just to see if can better appreciate it’s genius. 8 is fine. 9 is a zero for me. I’d play Southern Pines again before 9.

After seeing NLU last night, 3 is at the top of my list (after 4) for my next trip down. But short courses appeal to be, due to my challenges with the D.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

That old guy got the boot and the service has been better. But dormie is on my list of a course you have to play once at least.

Such a great layout

• Like 1

protos F4