2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

8 hours ago, willboyrd said:

I have only played Northwest once and I think we played it from the one up tees, which at most muni or daily fee courses puts you at 6300-6500 but NW is 6800+ from those tees and at least the day I played it, played to every single bit of that scorecard yardage. 

I found it to be a really tough but fair challenge, but maybe not as 'fun'. 

It's been a long time since I've played it. If memory serves me, correct me if wrong. The front is a beast. Long hole followed by long hole. 

The back except 10 is a different mix. More character? I remember 18 being somewhat drivable. For NW. 

If they switch the nines then this makes no sense. 

3 hours ago, mizuno player said:

It's been a long time since I've played it. If memory serves me, correct me if wrong. The front is a beast. Long hole followed by long hole. 

The back except 10 is a different mix. More character? I remember 18 being somewhat drivable. For NW. 

If they switch the nines then this makes no sense. 

LOL I feel like 90% of MD courses has switched their 9s at one point. Found that very strange when I moved here. 

I know the first hole we played at NW was crazy long. It was a bit cold and wet but I thought I piped my drive and ended up having 190 left lol 

• Like 1

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

25 minutes ago, willboyrd said:

LOL I feel like 90% of MD courses has switched their 9s at one point. Found that very strange when I moved here. 

I know the first hole we played at NW was crazy long. It was a bit cold and wet but I thought I piped my drive and ended up having 190 left lol 

That sounds like the 10th when I last played there. That hole is a heck of an opener. They held US Open qualifying there at least once. Bringing back memories. 

13 hours ago, mizuno player said:

That sounds like the 10th when I last played there. That hole is a heck of an opener. They held US Open qualifying there at least once. Bringing back memories. 

I think that's the original 1st, then they switched it to the 10th a long time ago, and now its back to the 1st maybe 2 years ago.  No idea why.  The new 18 is a better finishing hole, but otherwise the 2 are a wash for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SullGolf said:

I think that's the original 1st, then they switched it to the 10th a long time ago, and now its back to the 1st maybe 2 years ago.  No idea why.  The new 18 is a better finishing hole, but otherwise the 2 are a wash for me.

This is way too difficult. I can't ever remember the long par 4 being #1. I started playing there in the early '80's. If I have it right 18 now Is Not the short uphill par 4?

Funny story about 18 or 9 when I played it. My HS gym teacher put together a golf tournament for the school. I had just started playing and was horrible. So a little worse than now. I was playing with the varsity football coach. He's in the fairway and nukes his approach shot. Over the green and traveling fast. I'm laughing my a** off watching he's going ohh get down. No chance.  Smack!!!!! He nails the clubhouse hard. He's all freaking out and telling me to take the blame for it!! Ummm. No thanks coach. I couldn't stop laughing. Not sure I've seen anything like it sense. 

• Like 1

@Kent01putt yes, wakefield valley would be that course. There was another course out in Carroll County that was a real mom & pop course that was also horrible. 

Northwest. . .

First and foremost : "Do not enter or play from any unmowed or environmentally marked areas. Treat them as lateral hazards, drop at point of entry."

DO NOT ENTER OR PLAY FROM ANY UNMOWED AREA. 

Seriously? So, that patch of hay that you can't be arsed to mow between two holes that is clearly not an environmental area. . .I can't play my ball if it's sitting on the edge? I can't walk in to get it? Can I take a stance on an unmowed area if my ball is on a mowed area or is that considered entering it?  I don't know because "unmowed area" isn't a thing. It's not defined in the rule book which might not be a problem if it wasn't completely ambiguous on the course (was the area mowed over winter? Was it mowed when they built the course? Has it not been mowed in 2 months and they're turning it into an "unmowed area"? Who knows. Because it's not a thing. There's no definition for it.) Are sandtraps unmowed areas? Are cart paths unmowed areas? 

"Treat them as lateral hazards, drop at point of entry."

Well, which is it? Do I treat them as lateral hazards or do I drop at point of entry? Why is that a comma instead of a semi-colon or a period? Which doesn't matter anyway because there's no way to punctuate those two clauses to reconcile the conflicting statements. 

By the way. . the rules of golf EXPLICITLY STATE what Northwest wants to do with their environmental and unmowed areas (see "no play zone" definition), but whoever approved the copy for the scorecard just decided to completely abandon the rules of golf (as well as reason) and just make something up that is self-contradictory. 

2 : I find the course boring and not "golfy". The shorter par 4's have all the space and options of playing to different spots and cutting corners (but without actually offering the option of driving the green for a real advantage), while the longer ones are narrower and have no break in the "line of charm". The 7th hole is the longest par 4 on the course and is about 40 yards wide (functionally narrower because of the cart path) -- not the fairway. . ."no play zone" to "no play zone" is 40 yards. You literally can not design an uglier, more boring, simple-minded, less-fun golf hole. Oh, wait. . .yes you can. . .the 5th hole at Northwest. It's 50% more fun because you need to do the same thing for 3 shots.

And, then you have holes like the 15th (the par 5 that sweeps right) which have an almost 100 yard wide area to hit a tee shot. Why is the spacing on this course like this? The course has a wide open look from Layhill road over to 1, but it's SO claustrophobic elsewhere. 

None of the 5's have anything between tee shot and green, so they're all just "bash bash". The 3's are OK, but ugly. A flat, or downhill par 3 with nothing but rough between the tee and green is so visually unappealing. 

It's not without some interest. 2 and 12 and 17 have nice curves. I love the front bunker and green on 14. The downhill par 3 13th is kind of cool because the hazard crowds the hole and club choice is tricky. 

My favorite times playing Northwest were from the red tees (because the course finally presents some decisions) and from the black tees but just because it's the most masochistic golf I think you can play anywhere in the state, which makes it interesting. 

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Totally agree on "unmowed areas". It's completely insane and indicative of laziness/unwillingness to properly groom the course and/or manage the pace of play.  If the course doesn't want to work hard enough on proper conditioning, I'm not going to spend my money there.

• Like 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

1 hour ago, TheCityGame said:

"Treat them as lateral hazards, drop at point of entry."

Well, which is it? Do I treat them as lateral hazards or do I drop at point of entry? Why is that a comma instead of a semi-colon or a period? Which doesn't matter anyway because there's no way to punctuate those two clauses to reconcile the conflicting statements. 

By the way. . the rules of golf EXPLICITLY STATE what Northwest wants to do with their environmental and unmowed areas (see "no play zone" definition), but whoever approved the copy for the scorecard just decided to completely abandon the rules of golf (as well as reason) and just make something up that is self-contradictory. 

What am I missing here?  I guess the language on the card could be improved, but I'm not seeing what's wrong.  Lateral hazards don't drop at the point of entry?

NW can define the grass as both a penalty area and no play zone, which would then play exactly as it does.

54 minutes ago, SullGolf said:

What am I missing here?  I guess the language on the card could be improved, but I'm not seeing what's wrong.  Lateral hazards don't drop at the point of entry?

NW can define the grass as both a penalty area and no play zone, which would then play exactly as it does.

Lateral hazards give you two options for a drop. used to be 3. The card goes back to when there were 3 options. 

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Oh, also, you can play from a lateral hazard, so you're NOT treating them as lateral hazards. 

And, yes. . .NW can define the grass as a penalty area and no play area. 

They don't. Language matters when it comes to the rules of golf. 

What they SHOULD do -- if they don't want people going in those areas -- is probably make the unmowed areas no play zones, but not penalty areas. You drop just like you went into GUR. This is handled in the rules. 

If you want to make the woods alongside the holes a no play zone penalty area, then mark it. Putting stakes in is not major maintenance. There used to be green stakes I think that marked environmental areas (but those might have been free drops). 

or make everything lateral and mark unmowed areas with green stakes or something. (again, not sure if green stakes are still a thing). But what they're doing now isn't good. 

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

27 minutes ago, SullGolf said:

The language is imprecise, but the intent is crystal clear to me.  I don't see any way to interpret it other than it being a mandatory penalty area (or a "no play zone" and "penalty area").  For all the things to rant about, this is low on my list.

What happens if you hit a breakfast ball into an unmowed area?  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SullGolf said:

The language is imprecise, but the intent is crystal clear to me.  I don't see any way to interpret it other than it being a mandatory penalty area (or a "no play zone" and "penalty area").  For all the things to rant about, this is low on my list.

This will never not be fantastic, City giving more thoughts to architecturally reviewing a MoCo muni than he would Sand Valley.

BUT SULLY THE CART PATHS ARE ALSO UNMOWN AREAS - WHAT DO WE DO.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

On 3/29/2021 at 10:06 PM, mizuno player said:

The US Open local qualy is back there this year as well.

NW is a great muni track I can walk for $20 during the week and its easy to get to for just about everyone I play with. We can race-shove our carts down the first tee box and have good Chicago dogs snacks and beers after. It doesn't have to be anything more than that. If you want to compare it to a place like Worthington or a place that has an unlimited maintenance budget - that's just dumb. It is what it is. 

• Like 3

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I want to make sure I use this word correctly here. But I will *literally* read 38 pages of posts telling me how cool it is to play at Gunpowder but by digging into the minutiae of the scorecard wording at Northwest, it makes a round there simply intolerable.

Mmmmmkayyyy.

My guess would be a possible response back to me might be "it has nothing to do with the course itself, its all about who you play with and just enjoying the time you have together" to which I would say yes, thats precisely the point.

• Like 2

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I guess the wording on the scorecard is poor, but I think the intention of what they've done is sound.  They basically made the long grass a penalty area, defined as a no play zone.  That stuff is all marked as environmental preservation area.  I'm sure they're handcuffed by that, and have to at least make it written rule that you don't go in there.

It's less than ideal in the case you hit one in there, and it could be played.  But it also prevents you from basically ever having to take stroke and distance.  And it's the same for everybody.

Northwest isn't the greatest course, but I enjoy it just fine.  I also built some of my oldest meatspace friendships with folks on here at Northwest.  Dew sweeper rounds with @Boogs2, @C. Freeman, and @eagle1997 back in the early days.  Weekday afternoons with @dcmidnight, wagering for a summer shandy and/or chicago dog.  It was the site of the original Red Tee Challenge, before The Hive was formed, where NOTHING AT ALL happened to @SullGolf for shooting the highest net round.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

BTW, for guys here that put in putter extensions - how do most of you do them? I know that places like Golfworks sell pieces that are supposed to be "actual" extensions but I still use old shafts that I have lying around to build one. I put in a one inch extension in a Golo last night, cut a 2 inch piece of an old putter shaft to use.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Just now, dcmidnight said:

BTW, for guys here that put in putter extensions - how do most of you do them? I know that places like Golfworks sell pieces that are supposed to be "actual" extensions but I still use old shafts that I have lying around to build one. I put in a one inch extension in a Golo last night, cut a 2 inch piece of an old putter shaft to use.

I've always used pieces made specifically for extensions.  But I suspect it doesn't matter when you're talking about a putter.

4 minutes ago, FAbb said:

I've always used pieces made specifically for extensions.  But I suspect it doesn't matter when you're talking about a putter.

I wouldnt think so either. Also needed some epoxy in a jam and ended up using the Gorilla Glue 2-part epoxy. Again with a putter it probably wont matter but it worked pretty well.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

7 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

For a putter? Anything that can take epoxy and fit. Putter shafts are short enough that they should be able to easily take a piece of an old iron shaft.  I do really like the steel extensions that come with taper on both sides where you get 2-for-1. 

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

45 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Old iron shaft that was thick to lock it in ... just wrapped with painters tape until I thought it was enough. 

Blew the grip on. Never worried about expoxying it due to not that much torque being applied to it for swings 

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

5 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

I want to make sure I use this word correctly here. But I will *literally* read 38 pages of posts telling me how cool it is to play at Gunpowder but by digging into the minutiae of the scorecard wording at Northwest, it makes a round there simply intolerable.

Mmmmmkayyyy.

My guess would be a possible response back to me might be "it has nothing to do with the course itself, its all about who you play with and just enjoying the time you have together" to which I would say yes, thats precisely the point.

So, like a week ago when I called Gunpowder inarguably one of the two worst courses in the state, was that in the 38 pages, or did you skip that part? 

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

5 hours ago, SullGolf said:

DC is modding a putter?  I expected him to BST it and buy a new model that's a bit longer.

Probably would have, guy posted it as a 35" but it was actually a 34". He was totally cool about it though, I tried it out and wanted to keep it so he agreed to pay for a new grip shipped out to me. Alls well that ends well.

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

On 3/23/2021 at 9:24 PM, willboyrd said:

So wait, why is the Solstice being held at River Downs? Lol

Was not the first choice or second choice. Courses in 2021 are NOT giving deals or give two craps about groups or outings. They will get full rack rates at any time, any day. The old deal we had with Little Bennet, doesn’t exist anymore. It would be $110 for two rounds with nothing after. At the full mercy of the course, no scheduled tee times, etc. that goes for every MoCo Public course. Best option, find a course that will rent it out for the entire day, with a pretty low price, and provide $2 beer specials! For once, we don’t have to worry about a Wednesday night league or that 9 holes are closed for this or that. 

board and tournament committee are always looking for members who wish to step up and help run and organize events. Please let me know if your interested in helping! 
rant over.

don’t get me started on NW and the long grass ruling......one of my least played courses just because of that. 

• Like 2