WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

As someone who has only played the occasional city championship, my mouth is absolutely watering looking at the US Am qualifying sites. Being local to LA had me excited to see El Cab on the list, seeing as I've only played it once but always wanted to go back.

HOWEVER...

Colleton River, Trinity Forest, and oh my god Whippoorwill Club. Part of me really wants to try and play one of these great courses around the country, but does that end up being more trouble than it's worth and I should just play something driving distance? Curious how some of the more seasoned tournament vets approached picking locations early on in their playing career.

M3 Diamana B70X
M1 15* Diamana B80X / MP20 HMB 2 Iron AD-DI 105X

718TMB 3 Iron Modus 120X
MP20 MMC 4-PW Modus 120X
SM8 50,54,58 Modus 120X
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

As someone who has only played the occasional city championship, my mouth is absolutely watering looking at the US Am qualifying sites. Being local to LA had me excited to see El Cab on the list, seeing as I've only played it once but always wanted to go back.

HOWEVER...

Colleton River, Trinity Forest, and oh my god Whippoorwill Club. Part of me really wants to try and play one of these great courses around the country, but does that end up being more trouble than it's worth and I should just play something driving distance? Curious how some of the more seasoned tournament vets approached picking locations early on in their playing career.

It's worth it, it gets expensive. But aim high and work hard!

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

This is my schedule so far:

Golf schedule

April 27th mascoutin 9-9-9

May 30-June 2 4 ball championship nekoosa

June 26th state am qual mascoutin

May 21 state match play qual chaska

Sept 15-16 partners championship Wisconsin dells

July 27th mascoutin club championship

I will have a few more. Goal is to play in 2 events per month on top of my Thursday league. This league is more official than others I have played in and have “major” tournaments throughout the year.

My goal for the year is to play better golf in tournaments than for fun.

This is my schedule so far:

Golf schedule

April 27th mascoutin 9-9-9

May 30-June 2 4 ball championship nekoosa

June 26th state am qual mascoutin

May 21 state match play qual chaska

Sept 15-16 partners championship Wisconsin dells

July 27th mascoutin club championship

I will have a few more. Goal is to play in 2 events per month on top of my Thursday league. This league is more official than others I have played in and have "major" tournaments throughout the year.

My goal for the year is to play better golf in tournaments than for fun.

Love it!

Here's the updated 2019 amateur calendar I send out. Definitely California-focused....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1aoprlhc48nsao/2019%20Amateur%20Golf%20Tournaments%20Calendar%20Schedule%20excel.xlsx?dl=0

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Just spent quite a lot of money entering a bunch of events. 7 in total. Also have my school old boys tournament in early April. Best week of the year!

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

I've signed up for everything I usually sign up for, but this year is going to be a wash for me, I can already tell. Playing only on the weekends, and my left hip has gotten so bad, that I have zero expectations of shooting par or below right now on a legit course. I'm sure I'll feel a bit better when the weather warms up, but right now, I'm feeling really down.

I've signed up for everything I usually sign up for, but this year is going to be a wash for me, I can already tell. Playing only on the weekends, and my left hip has gotten so bad, that I have zero expectations of shooting par or below right now on a legit course. I'm sure I'll feel a bit better when the weather warms up, but right now, I'm feeling really down.

Sorry to hear that - that really sucks. For what it's worth, some of my best rounds have come when my expectations have been lowest. I put less pressure on myself and just play. Shockingly enough I can then stay out of my own way and put a score together. When I'm playing well and go in with high expectations, that's when I suddenly find my shot circle 30 yards left of where I thought it would be. Not good.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Sorry to hear that - that really sucks. For what it's worth, some of my best rounds have come when my expectations have been lowest. I put less pressure on myself and just play. Shockingly enough I can then stay out of my own way and put a score together. When I'm playing well and go in with high expectations, that's when I suddenly find my shot circle 30 yards left of where I thought it would be. Not good.

We've all certainly been there ^^^^^^^^^^. LOL

Nice thread!

I got back into playing more tournament golf a couple of years ago after about a 7 year break, other than a few city events. Planning on playing the qualifiers for the main state mid-am and regular am, some other scratch FSGA weekend 2-day events, local scratch events, and some FSGA and local two-man events.

Couple of weeks till my first tournament of the season, the senior/mid-am. My scoring has been a bit up and down lately, so a four-ball should be a nice start to the season.

Nice thread!

I got back into playing more tournament golf a couple of years ago after about a 7 year break, other than a few city events. Planning on playing the qualifiers for the main state mid-am and regular am, some other scratch FSGA weekend 2-day events, local scratch events, and some FSGA and local two-man events.

Couple of weeks till my first tournament of the season, the senior/mid-am. My scoring has been a bit up and down lately, so a four-ball should be a nice start to the season.

Excellent!!

Please post results here, good or bad. I have a qualifier in less than two weeks, and on a course where I have broken par qualifiers almost as often as not, I will be shocked if I shoot 78. I will post my round good bad or ugly! :-)

Looking to do US Amateur qualifying, Mid-Am qualifying, state open qualifying then some local tourneys as well. It will be my first season back to competitive golf and I couldn't be happier.

There is really nothing like it, is there? It has the ability to reveal your entire soul. :-)

Looking to do US Amateur qualifying, Mid-Am qualifying, state open qualifying then some local tourneys as well. It will be my first season back to competitive golf and I couldn't be happier.

There is really nothing like it, is there? It has the ability to reveal your entire soul. :-)

I haven't played competitive golf since my high school days about three years ago. I have progressed immensely as a player and am looking forward to getting back into it

First round of SF City Championship today, man it was ugly. Ton of rain this last week and overnight. Standing water on 1st tee box and it rained all 18 holes.

Started great, piped drive then 9 iron to 8 feet but wiffed the putt. Then the struggles began and I was fighting to hold on all 18 holes. Couldn't get the green speed, flared irons off wet tight fairways and ugly rough. Missed a bunch of short putts. Turned bogeys into doubles cause didn't stick to a plan.

10 minute wait on #18 tee in the rain led to a pull hook into a lake and a triple bogey 7 to round out a painful day and an 83.

Second day tomorrow and its been raining all day today and tomorrow's course has no drainage and super slow bumpy greens. Most players shot +5 to +10 on that course today.

Tournament golf got me today (along to some extent the conditions which I let affect my swing). I guess chalk it up to experience and learn for the rest of the season.

First round of SF City Championship today, man it was ugly. Ton of rain this last week and overnight. Standing water on 1st tee box and it rained all 18 holes.

Started great, piped drive then 9 iron to 8 feet but wiffed the putt. Then the struggles began and I was fighting to hold on all 18 holes. Couldn't get the green speed, flared irons off wet tight fairways and ugly rough. Missed a bunch of short putts. Turned bogeys into doubles cause didn't stick to a plan.

10 minute wait on #18 tee in the rain led to a pull hook into a lake and a triple bogey 7 to round out a painful day and an 83.

Second day tomorrow and its been raining all day today and tomorrow's course has no drainage and super slow bumpy greens. Most players shot +5 to +10 on that course today.

Tournament golf got me today (along to some extent the conditions which I let affect my swing). I guess chalk it up to experience and learn for the rest of the season.

Second round today at Lincoln Park and we had everything, cloud, wind, rain, fog/mist where you couldn't see the green on a par 3, every shot plugged and the ball went no where in the air. Bumpy greens with standing water. Played really well for 16 holes and found out after that I was in the cut line at that point. On my 17th (the #7) par 4 with ob right, all I had to do was smooth a 4 wood down the center and hit a 9 iron into the green then finish with a downhill par 3. Of course not so easy, I didn't commit to a no fear swing, left the face open and block cut it right just into the ob. After 16 holes of fight, I was deflated and proceeded to 3 putt to a triple.

Go to the par 3 and hit 7 iron to 4 feet, but mentally wasn't there and wiffed the putt.

I get home and I miss matchplay stage by 4 shots.

Over two days, there are 4 holes where I easily could have made up 4 shots and plenty more where I should have aimed inside the cup from 5 feet.

Some important tournament lessons learned for me, especially in bad weather -

1. If you miss a fairway and have more than 180 into the green, I have more chance of making par by getting within 20 yards of the green with a 7 iron than trying to carry it there with a 5 iron.

2. Short putts aim in the hole and firm stroke. Takes away indecision.

3. Aim for the fat part of the green even if that means a 30ft putt, when putting is one of your strengths.

4. Most of the field is struggling so don't give strokes away and you will move up the leaderboard, as others are making bad mistakes.

I was pretty fed up when I left the course but with some reflection and seeing that some small mental changes could prove dividends I am looking forward to the next qualifier.

Second round today at Lincoln Park and we had everything, cloud, wind, rain, fog/mist where you couldn't see the green on a par 3, every shot plugged and the ball went no where in the air. Bumpy greens with standing water. Played really well for 16 holes and found out after that I was in the cut line at that point. On my 17th (the #7) par 4 with ob right, all I had to do was smooth a 4 wood down the center and hit a 9 iron into the green then finish with a downhill par 3. Of course not so easy, I didn't commit to a no fear swing, left the face open and block cut it right just into the ob. After 16 holes of fight, I was deflated and proceeded to 3 putt to a triple.

Go to the par 3 and hit 7 iron to 4 feet, but mentally wasn't there and wiffed the putt.

Over two days, there are 4 holes where I easily could have made up 4 shots and plenty more where I should have aimed inside the cup from 5 feet.

1. If you miss a fairway and have more than 180 into the green, I have more chance of making par by getting within 20 yards of the green with a 7 iron than trying to carry it there with a 5 iron.

3. Aim for the fat part of the green even if that means a 30ft putt, when putting is one of your strengths.

4. Most of the field is struggling so don't give strokes away and you will move up the leaderboard, as others are making bad mistakes.

I was pretty fed up when I left the course but with some reflection and seeing that some small mental changes could prove dividends I am looking forward to the next qualifier.

Good luck in the next one. I like the write up and wouldn’t mind everyone doing something similar, sure I’m not the only one.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I hate that course especially this time of year for the sf city... so I know your pain

when I played it 8 years ago, I was so tired after the first round from walking back to the tee cause of a lost ball. I learned to to hit provisionals literally every hole 2nd round lol

any plans for the alameda commuters? I am contemplating playing but going to test myself first with the Tony Lema event at monarch bay (home course for me).

My game sucks to be throwing money away right now

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I hate that course especially this time of year for the sf city... so I know your pain

when I played it 8 years ago, I was so tired after the first round from walking back to the tee cause of a lost ball. I learned to to hit provisionals literally every hole 2nd round lol

any plans for the alameda commuters? I am contemplating playing but going to test myself first with the Tony Lema event at monarch bay (home course for me).

My game sucks to be throwing money away right now

The Commuters falls two days after I get back from a trip, so I wont be able to prepare so I decided to skip it. I'm doing an NCGA qualifier at Corica later in the year so i'll get to play it.

It's going to be a mushy early season here in SoCal, also. We've had more rain than I can ever remember. Not at all good for my game. As a short hitter with a good short game, I need it firm and fast to compete with the best in SoCal. Can't really do it when fairways are soft and I get no roll....

My first qualifier is a week from tomorrow. SCGA Mid-Am qualifier at Rustic Canyon. I will do my best. Trying to "cram" in at least two practice sessions between now and then, but I have absolutely zero expectations going in. Bad hip. Working too much. Playing too little. Almost zero time to do even a bit of practice. If I qualify (will probably take a 73 if conditions are reasonable), I'll be amazed.

What's next for you Ray?

It's going to be a mushy early season here in SoCal, also. We've had more rain than I can ever remember. Not at all good for my game. As a short hitter with a good short game, I need it firm and fast to compete with the best in SoCal. Can't really do it when fairways are soft and I get no roll....

My first qualifier is a week from tomorrow. SCGA Mid-Am qualifier at Rustic Canyon. I will do my best. Trying to "cram" in at least two practice sessions between now and then, but I have absolutely zero expectations going in. Bad hip. Working too much. Playing too little. Almost zero time to do even a bit of practice. If I qualify (will probably take a 73 if conditions are reasonable), I'll be amazed.

What's next for you Ray?

Looks like NCGA Mid Am qualifier May 8 at Corica Park. I have a club 36 hole strokeplay tournament before that as a warm up.

It looks like we may get one dry day this weekend so i'll get some practice in, was still raining last night. Trying to work on a little mobility as I noticed that's been lacking especially in my right shoulder/romboid area recently.

What's next for you Ray?

Looks like NCGA Mid Am qualifier May 8 at Corica Park. I have a club 36 hole strokeplay tournament before that as a warm up.

It looks like we may get one dry day this weekend so i'll get some practice in, was still raining last night. Trying to work on a little mobility as I noticed that's been lacking especially in my right shoulder/romboid area recently.

Best of luck to you. I'm going to play tomorrow. First time I've picked up a club in two weeks. And before that it was Pinehurst and I could barely walk. Hip feeling better today but we'll see. The 2+ hour drive home just kills me lately.

Best of luck to you. I'm going to play tomorrow. First time I've picked up a club in two weeks. And before that it was Pinehurst and I could barely walk. Hip feeling better today but we'll see. The 2+ hour drive home just kills me lately.

Man, we just kill ourselves with commutes.... I hate reading that.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

First real tourney of the year today at the granite bay amateur four ball. Little regional Sacramento thing at a nice private track. 1 day 36 holes. Played all of the 6900 yards on the card given it was in the 30s when we teed off and then as it warmed up we got a steady wind all day.

My partner and I got a practice round in yesterday where our four ball came in at a smooth +10, so expectations were low. That was actually my first full round of the year where I didnt get rained on and we beat a hailstorm by 20 minutes. Nor cal golf has been tough so far this year.

Overall we were able to grind it out all day for a 36 hole +1 that included a hole out eagle from 142 by myself in the afternoon. Ended up 5th and getting a small payday, 1 shot out of a 3 way tie for 2nd at even. The winners went -9, they were medalists at the usga 4 ball 2 years ago and one of them won the CA am last year, so they were definitely the cream of the crop out there.

Overall pretty satisfied to be 1 shot off the pack. I know we arent ready to compete with the big dogs but we are right there with the first tier regional guys. Not sure how the schedule will shake out for the rest of the year but hope to get a couple more rounds in in some ncga stuff.

First real tourney of the year today at the granite bay amateur four ball. Little regional Sacramento thing at a nice private track. 1 day 36 holes. Played all of the 6900 yards on the card given it was in the 30s when we teed off and then as it warmed up we got a steady wind all day.

My partner and I got a practice round in yesterday where our four ball came in at a smooth +10, so expectations were low. That was actually my first full round of the year where I didnt get rained on and we beat a hailstorm by 20 minutes. Nor cal golf has been tough so far this year.

Overall we were able to grind it out all day for a 36 hole +1 that included a hole out eagle from 142 by myself in the afternoon. Ended up 5th and getting a small payday, 1 shot out of a 3 way tie for 2nd at even. The winners went -9, they were medalists at the usga 4 ball 2 years ago and one of them won the CA am last year, so they were definitely the cream of the crop out there.

Overall pretty satisfied to be 1 shot off the pack. I know we arent ready to compete with the big dogs but we are right there with the first tier regional guys. Not sure how the schedule will shake out for the rest of the year but hope to get a couple more rounds in in some ncga stuff.

Love it! Are you playing a pretty full slate of individual events this year?

Going to try a couple out. Hopefully the Sacramento city or county am. Also possibly the us mid am qualifying just to get in the game with some of these guys although it's likely a donation to the field. Gotta start somewhere.

Would love to try for the State am at Monterey Penninsula but as funny as it sounds I'm afraid I may have a good round and qualify and I dont think I can swing a week in Monterey this year from a money and work perspective

SCGA Mid-Am Qualifier tomorrow at Rustic Canyon.

Yikes: 25 mph sustained winds in the forecast, which means gusts to 40 to 50. Top 13 of 90 will advance. Will be 81 or so, I bet. 40 to 50 gusts are just stupid.

Three years ago, my buddy and I played in the SCGA Four-Ball qualifier and shot 78, best-ball!!! And we Qualified!! Same conditions: Sustained 25, gusts to 50. Brutal. Hard to even walk directly into a wind like that. I couldn't reach either of the par 5's in THREE SHOTS that year. Driver, 3-wood, 3-wood, 60 yard wedge.

I will need to be in "full grind" tomorrow....

Yikes: 25 mph sustained winds in the forecast, which means gusts to 40 to 50. Top 13 of 90 will advance. Will be 81 or so, I bet. 40 to 50 gusts are just stupid.

Three years ago, my buddy and I played in the SCGA Four-Ball qualifier and shot 78, best-ball!!! And we Qualified!! Same conditions: Sustained 25, gusts to 50. Brutal. Hard to even walk directly into a wind like that. I couldn't reach either of the par 5's in THREE SHOTS that year. Driver, 3-wood, 3-wood, 60 yard wedge.

How’s the hip?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

How’s the hip?

I played Saturday and Sunday last weekend. It was cold and my hip hurt, but the ibuprofen seemed to be working to minimize it. Shot 72, 71 on my home track, which is easy: 71.3/129.

How’s the hip?

I played Saturday and Sunday last weekend. It was cold and my hip hurt, but the ibuprofen seemed to be working to minimize it. Shot 72, 71 on my home track, which is easy: 71.3/129.

Good luck, play well