WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

My schedule will be dependent on my job/city situation, but tentative plan is:

Kanza Players Cup

Kansas Mid-Am Team Championship (defend 2018 title)

Nebraska Matchplay Championship

Kansas Amateur and/or Nebraska Amateur

Kansas Mid-Amateur or Nebraska Mid-Amateur

USGA Mid-Am Qualifier

USGA Fourball Qualifier

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

My schedule will be dependent on my job/city situation, but tentative plan is:

Kanza Players Cup

Kansas Mid-Am Team Championship (defend 2018 title)

Nebraska Matchplay Championship

Kansas Amateur and/or Nebraska Amateur

Kansas Mid-Amateur or Nebraska Mid-Amateur

USGA Mid-Am Qualifier

USGA Fourball Qualifier

Love it! Please keep us updated of your progress in this thread!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Everything is now on hold for me, even practice!

I slipped on ice on Friday and whilst it was very nice of my laptop to break my fall it also meant that it went digging into my ribs fracturing them. Complete disaster! Never broken anything before now. Plenty of tendon problems but no breaks. I was lined up for a few range sessions over the next week and then a lesson to see where I am at with everything the week after.

Oh no!!! How are you feeling now?

Question..... Is it typically OK to play in a state open for another state? As in, I live in NY and am looking at tournaments run by NJ and CT based golf associations. Is it as simple as signing up and paying for an additional GHIN in that state? Or is this frowned upon?

My area is blessed with a lot of tournaments but some other states and other golf associations tournament dates/locations may be better for me than my own area/state.

Thanks

As long as you are a member of the association, go for it. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I've never really heard guys complain.

Looks like I’ll have 15-16 this year. Mostly invitationals in VA and our Am, State Open, Mid Am, US Am, US Mid Am. I’m excited, just got my amateur status back in November. Haven’t been this excited to play tournaments in a long while

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

Looks like I'll have 15-16 this year. Mostly invitationals in VA and our Am, State Open, Mid Am, US Am, US Mid Am. I'm excited, just got my amateur status back in November. Haven't been this excited to play tournaments in a long while

Amateur golf is a blast. You will love it. How long were you a pro?

Looks like I'll have 15-16 this year. Mostly invitationals in VA and our Am, State Open, Mid Am, US Am, US Mid Am. I'm excited, just got my amateur status back in November. Haven't been this excited to play tournaments in a long while

Amateur golf is a blast. You will love it. How long were you a pro?

For three full years. Played my last year on the Mackenzie tour and aside from running out of money I found out really quick how good you had to be lol luckily I’m 26, so I have a good few years of amateur golf hopefully

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

Question..... Is it typically OK to play in a state open for another state? As in, I live in NY and am looking at tournaments run by NJ and CT based golf associations. Is it as simple as signing up and paying for an additional GHIN in that state? Or is this frowned upon?

My area is blessed with a lot of tournaments but some other states and other golf associations tournament dates/locations may be better for me than my own area/state.

Thanks

As long as you are a member of the association, go for it. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I've never really heard guys complain.

Just check with those state golf associations, I think it varies. For example, I currently live in Kansas City, Kansas. I play all of the big Kansas Golf Association events, and I believe they let anyone play so long as they are a KGA member and have a GHIN inside the state (even online). However, Nebraska is stricter. I wanted to play in the Nebraska Mid-Amateur, because it was hosted at Wild Horse GC, but they wouldn't allow it. I think they said you have to be a resident.

EDIT: I re-read your post more closely. I think state Opens are usually a free-for-all, no strict requirements.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Everything is now on hold for me, even practice!

I slipped on ice on Friday and whilst it was very nice of my laptop to break my fall it also meant that it went digging into my ribs fracturing them. Complete disaster! Never broken anything before now. Plenty of tendon problems but no breaks. I was lined up for a few range sessions over the next week and then a lesson to see where I am at with everything the week after.

Oh no!!! How are you feeling now?

On some pain medication now which is taking some of the edge off the pain but it will still be at least 4 weeks before I am able to swing a club. Even putting is painful at the moment though. Making me more determined to get everything sorted and get into competitions for the year.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

2019 Tournaments/lessons

25-Jan 1pm LESSON/SH

Jan 28-29 WS-FSGA Fox Hollow Trinity

Feb 25-26 WS-FSGA CC of Ocala Ocala

March LESSON/SH

25-Apr Mid AM Q Buckhorn Springs Valirico

May 16-19 Mid Am Quail Valley Vero Beach

30-May FL Am Q TPC Tampa Bay Tampa

Jun 20-23 FL AM Loxahatchee Club Jupiter

27-Jun ON-FSGA Copperhead Palm Harbor

July LESSON/SH Orlando

21-Aug USGA Mid Am Q CC of Winter Haven Winter Haven

SEPTEMBER 14-19, 2019 USGA Mid Am Colorado GC Parker Col

Thanks

Just check with those state golf associations, I think it varies. For example, I currently live in Kansas City, Kansas. I play all of the big Kansas Golf Association events, and I believe they let anyone play so long as they are a KGA member and have a GHIN inside the state (even online). However, Nebraska is stricter. I wanted to play in the Nebraska Mid-Amateur, because it was hosted at Wild Horse GC, but they wouldn't allow it. I think they said you have to be a resident.

EDIT: I re-read your post more closely. I think state Opens are usually a free-for-all, no strict requirements.

Was it at Wild Horse last year? I don’t even look at the Nebraska schedule anymore because everything is such a long drive. Wild Horse is only about half of that distance.

Playing in a provincial event over the weekend here in South Africa. Top 50 course in the country, and 4 out of the top 5 ams in the field. Should be a good one. CR of 75.5 off the tourney tees?

Please update us whether it's good or bad! (Hopefully good!!)

Just got confirmation that my application for the FSGA's 102nd Amateur Championship was accepted with my choice of qualifying site, Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club, in mid-May.

The long game is really solid right now but I'm leaving a lot of birdies out there with bad lag putting, which is making my second putts a lot more difficult than they should be. I have lots of work to be done on the greens, so I'm taking some lessons and committing to serious time on the practice green with a mirror and a clicker to count putts made.

My goal is to shoot low enough to make it through to the event; I am not delusional to where I think I could actually win the thing. My handicap is right at a 2.5 and while I am capable of shooting under par, the planets have to align for it to happen more than once in a month or two :)

I still have a heap of competitions to book but I am waiting for our Scottish district fixtures to be published before I can actually get down to booking them all properly. I am wanting to play in as many of the district order of merit competitions that I can.

At the moment, this is what I am looking like in terms of opens as opposed to simply club competitions

25th May - Boyd Anderson 36 Hole Open

2nd June - Arthur McKerron Open

16th June - North District Championship (TBC as the diary doesn't seem to have been set yet).

29th June - Brodie Trophy 36 Hole Open

8th to 12th July - Elgin 5 Day Open (favourite competition of the year)

On top of that, there should be a decent amount of scratch team events for my club starting with a local league which takes place over 4 days in early May. We hosted last year which means that we have 36 holes on Saturday and Sunday this year...the legs will be feeling it come Sunday night I reckon.

There will be a few more added to that for sure. Now for these ribs to heal and I can start getting down to some practice.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Right. So. That was interesting.

I shot 75-75-83-81 to finish 62nd. The last day was rough. 90+ degrees, and no caddie. Was basically a zombie by the second 18?. Plus side, I'm now 441st in the country. Biggest takeaway from the week: I have to stick to the same swing thought throughout the tournament. By the second 9 of the 3rd round, I was swinging it so different from the first couple days. Luckily I pulled it back, the 81 was much better than the score shows, played the last 5 in 5 over due to fatigue.

All in all, I had great fun. On to the next one!

Also, will post some pics and stats if anyone is interested?

Sure, I would love to see them!

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Okay, so tournament recap:

I entered into the week with low to no expectations. Basically, I wanted to enjoy my time out there, and was pretty sure I'd only stick around for the first two rounds.

Here are some stats:

Rd 1: 7/14 FIR, 10/18 GIR, 31 putts. Probably the toughest conditions of the week. 25-30mph gusts. 75.

Rd 2: 8/14 FIR, 13/18 GIR, 33 putts. Went driver, 8 iron into the closing hole to make a birdie 4. Made the cut on the number. 75.

Rd 3: 6/14 FIR, 8/18 GIR, 33 putts. Completely lost it on the back nine. Hit one OB on a hole I didn't know OB existed. 83.

Rd 4: 3/14 FIR, 5/18 GIR, 32 putts. Not much to say here. Really mediocre. Hit it in the water on the last to finish with a double. Yelp. 81.

Side note, the winner of the tournament shot 40-29-30-32 to win by 3. 17 under in the last 27 on a 75.5 CR golf course. Pretty incredible stuff.

(14th hole, 520 yds, split fairway)

(9th hole, 170 yds, semi island greens)

I really need to work on ballstriking consistency. Was fighting the driver the whole week. Really draining to play that way, and it caught up with me on Sunday.

Looking forward to the next one!

I shot 75-75-83-81 to finish 62nd. The last day was rough. 90+ degrees, and no caddie. Was basically a zombie by the second 18?. Plus side, I'm now 441st in the country. Biggest takeaway from the week: I have to stick to the same swing thought throughout the tournament. By the second 9 of the 3rd round, I was swinging it so different from the first couple days. Luckily I pulled it back, the 81 was much better than the score shows, played the last 5 in 5 over due to fatigue.

What tournament was this again?

And, wow, those last 27 holes by the winner. Tour level.

When you say you are ranked 441st, is that WAGR? Senior? Nationally? Your state?

Looking forward to seeing more posts!

What tournament was this again?

And, wow, those last 27 holes by the winner. Tour level.

When you say you are ranked 441st, is that WAGR? Senior? Nationally? Your state?

Looking forward to seeing more posts!

Gauteng North Open, down here in South Africa. That would be 441 in my country's open amateur rankings.

Next tournament is a stroke and match play event, over the course of a week in March. Will keep everyone updated!

I still have a heap of competitions to book but I am waiting for our Scottish district fixtures to be published before I can actually get down to booking them all properly. I am wanting to play in as many of the district order of merit competitions that I can.

At the moment, this is what I am looking like in terms of opens as opposed to simply club competitions

25th May - Boyd Anderson 36 Hole Open

2nd June - Arthur McKerron Open

16th June - North District Championship (TBC as the diary doesn't seem to have been set yet).

29th June - Brodie Trophy 36 Hole Open

8th to 12th July - Elgin 5 Day Open (favourite competition of the year)

On top of that, there should be a decent amount of scratch team events for my club starting with a local league which takes place over 4 days in early May. We hosted last year which means that we have 36 holes on Saturday and Sunday this year...the legs will be feeling it come Sunday night I reckon.

There will be a few more added to that for sure. Now for these ribs to heal and I can start getting down to some practice.

I'm going to need to change this now as I have been invited a University friends wedding on 25th May. In my defence, it is going to be in the ballroom at the Old Course Hotel so it still counts as a golf activity right?!

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

• 2 weeks later...