Another Bandon Thread...

Dsevans8

not to hijack this thread but im headed to bandon in a few weeks... but why is McKee's so popular for dinner?

im going with a our local scga group of about 60 and i noticed all our group dinners are at MacDonald Hall...

McDonald Hall is the only place that can hold 60 for dinner.

McKee's is popular, in general, because it's the cheapest place and the selection/value of food is the best. It's truly a 'pub,' vs. a 'restaurant.'

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to stretch a bit every few holes, especially my hamstrings and calves. Nothing intense, just a few seconds in a squat or front-fold. I've found that helps a lot over the course of 36 holes. Also, some stretching or light yoga in the morning before you have breakfast does wonders. Foam rollers are helpful for some folks.

Shoe/sock changes are good, but all my shoes are pretty well broken in, so that's not as much of an issue for me, unless it's really wet, then I'll change after the first round. I also walk a lot at home, so I'm in pretty good walking shape to begin with.

I have gone to a process of using a Riksha in the morning round, then switching to a light carry bag for the second round (now with a half-set). That shifts the burden between legs and shoulders across the two rounds.

Finally, I hit the hot tub and/or sauna each evening. That gives a whole-body relaxation that is pretty much required for me...

Interesting idea switching between the cart and carry bag. Have you noticed it making a big difference for you? Last time I used the cart the whole time, was thinking about just carrying though. Just feel like I get equally tired pushing as I do carrying.

not to hijack this thread but im headed to bandon in a few weeks... but why is McKee's so popular for dinner?

im going with a our local scga group of about 60 and i noticed all our group dinners are at MacDonald Hall...

McKee's is popular, in general, because it's the cheapest place and the selection/value of food is the best. It's truly a 'pub,' vs. a 'restaurant.'

got it, so if im just going to hop in there for a drink or quick bite and sit at the bar, would i need to make reservations also?

im flying into eugene on a thursday night and expect to check in probably around 9-10pm. if i want to grab a quick bite/dinner at 10 pm would i need reservations for 1?

Not a lot of options for 60 people at bandon.

yeah i totally get that... but just wondering what was so special about McKee's...

ive got a rental car the week im there so i was planning to check out the town of bandon as well.

I personally don't feel it's anything special. Most of the time if we are playing 36 it's late and we just want to sit down and eat a big warm plate of food. Not all that interested in getting in the car and finding something else.

I like to stretch a bit every few holes, especially my hamstrings and calves. Nothing intense, just a few seconds in a squat or front-fold. I've found that helps a lot over the course of 36 holes. Also, some stretching or light yoga in the morning before you have breakfast does wonders. Foam rollers are helpful for some folks.

Shoe/sock changes are good, but all my shoes are pretty well broken in, so that's not as much of an issue for me, unless it's really wet, then I'll change after the first round. I also walk a lot at home, so I'm in pretty good walking shape to begin with.

I have gone to a process of using a Riksha in the morning round, then switching to a light carry bag for the second round (now with a half-set). That shifts the burden between legs and shoulders across the two rounds.

Finally, I hit the hot tub and/or sauna each evening. That gives a whole-body relaxation that is pretty much required for me...

Interesting idea switching between the cart and carry bag. Have you noticed it making a big difference for you? Last time I used the cart the whole time, was thinking about just carrying though. Just feel like I get equally tired pushing as I do carrying.

It does make a difference for me, as I'm not relying on the same muscles for both rounds. A full day with a Riksha can really tire out my lower back, and a full day carrying works my legs. Spreading the load across the major muscle groups of my body helps me a lot.

got it, so if im just going to hop in there for a drink or quick bite and sit at the bar, would i need to make reservations also?

im flying into eugene on a thursday night and expect to check in probably around 9-10pm. if i want to grab a quick bite/dinner at 10 pm would i need reservations for 1?

Shouldn't need a reservation that late on a weekday. Never hurts, though. Actually, I'm not sure of McKee's hours on weekdays. Call and make sure they'll be open and serving.

You can also stop in somewhere in Coos Bay for dinner on the way. Everything in Bandon will be closed by then.

It does make a difference for me, as I'm not relying on the same muscles for both rounds. A full day with a Riksha can really tire out my lower back, and a full day carrying works my legs. Spreading the load across the major muscle groups of my body helps me a lot.

Very good advice. Definitely planning on stretching/foam rolling each night and evening to stay loose and minimize sore muscles as much as possible.

Guys I wanted to bump this topic a little bit. Getting geared up for Bandon trip in the next few weeks...7 rounds in 4 days. I haven't walked/ carried my bag much the last 12 months, but figured I should get back in the swing of it as I am not planning on getting a caddie for any of my rounds. So my question is what are your suggestions for keeping your legs and especially your feet fresh so that you can enjoy those rounds. I'm not really worried that I won't be able to handle them physically, it's just if there was a way to make it easier of keep my legs and feet feeling fresh that would be great. Anybody purchase any special insoles, or soak their feet in the hot tub between rounds? Planning on changing my shoes and socks between rounds and stay off my feet but will probably have an hour between rounds. Thanks!

A recovery trick I've used for runnng and cycling/mtn biking, is to lay flat on your back, feet/legs straight up a wall, butt close as possible to said wall. Lie there for 10-15 minutes. This will let all the blood drain out of your legs and feet, as well as relax your back. Get up slowly and shake the legs out. You can also (as spud mentioned) do some yoga, happy baby is a good one for the hips and back.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Guys I wanted to bump this topic a little bit. Getting geared up for Bandon trip in the next few weeks...7 rounds in 4 days. I haven't walked/ carried my bag much the last 12 months, but figured I should get back in the swing of it as I am not planning on getting a caddie for any of my rounds. So my question is what are your suggestions for keeping your legs and especially your feet fresh so that you can enjoy those rounds. I'm not really worried that I won't be able to handle them physically, it's just if there was a way to make it easier of keep my legs and feet feeling fresh that would be great. Anybody purchase any special insoles, or soak their feet in the hot tub between rounds? Planning on changing my shoes and socks between rounds and stay off my feet but will probably have an hour between rounds. Thanks!

A recovery trick I've used for runnng and cycling/mtn biking, is to lay flat on your back, feet/legs straight up a wall, butt close as possible to said wall. Lie there for 10-15 minutes. This will let all the blood drain out of your legs and feet, as well as relax your back. Get up slowly and shake the legs out. You can also (as spud mentioned) do some yoga, happy baby is a good one for the hips and back.

Interesting idea, never heard of that. Sounds like something that could really help. I have no doubt that I will be able to get through the rounds, but anyway to make them easier on myself and let me concentrate on golf better would be the optimal.

Good advice on the white athletic tape. I've found even on fingers, it's the best for blisters/hot spots. Trouble is I'm having trouble finding it at drug stores. Everyone has that waterproof slippery tape. The better one is more like a fabric material, but I'm struggling to find it.

As for keeping feet fresh, I learned while caddying that switching shoes has the benefit of moving any pinch points around. Wearing the same pair for too long isn't about moisture control, it'll just help with pressure points. I'm going for my first BD trip next week and plan to pack at least 3 pairs of shoes and will likely bring 4 if I can fit them. Also, the advice about stretching is huge. A really deep nighttime stretch on the calves, hamstrings and hips will pay off bigtime in the morning. And of course, four advil before bed and again with breakfast helps get everything lubricated!

Love this idea, will give it a try.

Interesting idea, never heard of that. Sounds like something that could really help. I have no doubt that I will be able to get through the rounds, but anyway to make them easier on myself and let me concentrate on golf better would be the optimal.

Ya I found that one amongst a list a core basic Yoga positions. It's very straightforward and easy enough done while listening to podcasts/streaming news, when it's fine to be looking at the ceiling.

Bandon specific though, for me I don't do anything 'extra' except limit the pints to an acceptable amount and get a solid 7-8hrs depending on first tee time of the day.

IMHO the more trips specific stuff you worry about - that you normally wouldn't - is more potential for angst... but maybe that's just my chill PNW background :)

If it's chilly and you're worried about getting loose when it's 40F, with 20mph winds, and showers at 8am, these are a cheap way of getting some warmth in your core:

https://www.riteaid.com/shop/rite-aid-capsicum-hot-patches-3-pack-0357448

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Good advice on the white athletic tape. I've found even on fingers, it's the best for blisters/hot spots. Trouble is I'm having trouble finding it at drug stores. Everyone has that waterproof slippery tape. The better one is more like a fabric material, but I'm struggling to find it.

As for keeping feet fresh, I learned while caddying that switching shoes has the benefit of moving any pinch points around. Wearing the same pair for too long isn't about moisture control, it'll just help with pressure points. I'm going for my first BD trip next week and plan to pack at least 3 pairs of shoes and will likely bring 4 if I can fit them. Also, the advice about stretching is huge. A really deep nighttime stretch on the calves, hamstrings and hips will pay off bigtime in the morning. And of course, four advil before bed and again with breakfast helps get everything lubricated!

Sporting goods store, walmart, amazon all should have athletic tape. Surprised you couldn't find it at a drugstore. Would think it would be by the ankle braces and things like that.

Anybody using any aftermarket insoles in their shoes?

Always. Superfeet. Move them from shoe to shoe. Well, actually just in athletic shoes that have crappy insoles. Icons have sweet cork insoles that wear to the shape of your feet.

Which ones do you like in your golf shoes?

Superfeet green, they also make it in wide if you wear wide shoes.

Always. Superfeet. Move them from shoe to shoe. Well, actually just in athletic shoes that have crappy insoles. Icons have sweet cork insoles that wear to the shape of your feet.

Made a big difference for you over the stock insoles?

Made a big difference for you over the stock insoles?

Depends on the stock insoles.

If the stock insole is nothing more than a half inch piece of foam, then yes. Some shoes come with the equivalent of an aftermarket foot bed while most should be thrown in the bin immediately. Arch support helps me relax my foot when I'm stepping down and eliminates some fatigue. I think when walking long distances a lot of the fatigue starts at your feet. Depending on the weight of your shoes and the amount of support, you'll fatigue different parts of your lower body. Heavier more supportive shoes tend to encourage you to use your hip flexors and bigger muscles in your quads while light weight less supportive shoes tend to fatigue my calves and ankles from working harder to stay balanced. Believe it or not a lot of chiropractors encourage foot beds as a falling arch can actually create pain all the way up to your hips and lower back.

Awesome I really appreciate the advice. Still using stock insoles on my golf shoes...

You bet. I don't know when Superfeet got so expensive. But, you can buy one pair and move them from shoe to shoe. Helps to take them out when you're not wearing them so that everything dries anyways.

Funny, I get a little reserved when talking about this issue because believe it or not it can be controversial. There's pretty good consensus that goofing around the house it's good to go bare foot, but when you are going to wear shoes, wear something supportive. There is an argument that too supportive of shoes, too frequently, will make your feet weak. Wearing flip flops, clogs, or going bare foot when you can helps. Don't even get into the subjects of "posting," which is building up places under one shoe's foot bed, to help with leg length difference or other anatomical differences (which we all have at least a little bit) - people go ballistic depending on which school of thought.

Best of luck!

Awesome I really appreciate the advice. Still using stock insoles on my golf shoes...

You bet. I don't know when Superfeet got so expensive. But, you can buy one pair and move them from shoe to shoe. Helps to take them out when you're not wearing them so that everything dries anyways.

Funny, I get a little reserved when talking about this issue because believe it or not it can be controversial. There's pretty good consensus that goofing around the house it's good to go bare foot, but when you are going to wear shoes, wear something supportive. There is an argument that too supportive of shoes, too frequently, will make your feet weak. Wearing flip flops, clogs, or going bare foot when you can helps. Don't even get into the subjects of "posting," which is building up places under one shoe's foot bed, to help with leg length difference or other anatomical differences (which we all have at least a little bit) - people go ballistic depending on which school of thought.

Best of luck!

Well I have pretty low arches to begin with and could probably use all the support I can get so I am willing to try it out and see if it helps at all sense I have some lower back pain from time to time.

Best of luck!

Well I have pretty low arches to begin with and could probably use all the support I can get so I am willing to try it out and see if it helps at all sense I have some lower back pain from time to time.

Maybe keep your old insoles and walk 9 with the Superfeet... sometimes it's a bit uncomfortable when you're used to very little support. But, in the long run it is good for your feet.

Also, the Superfeet are made to be trimmed to size, so if you're in between sizes get the next size up and then trace a line around the outside of your toes and trim it with a pair of scissors. The trick being don't trim too close to your toes! Some shoes will push your feet a little forward and the worst thing in the world is feeling the end of that insole with your toes. It will drive you crazy!

Which Superfeet do you recommend for low arches?

I don't think they actually change the profile for different arch height unless you get a custom one built, but it seems to me that folks with flatter feet have been having more success with the Black. It is a lower volume foot bed created to fit a wider range of shoes, such as a shoe that has a snug fit without an insole. The lower volume seems to help with flatter feet not feeling cramped in the arch.

I often recommend that you try them for shorter durations, a 30 minute walk, an hour walk, just the morning going about your normal routine, all day, longer walks, 9 holes, 18 holes, so that your feet adjust. They can be a little uncomfortable at first but your feet and lower legs adapt pretty quickly and before you know it your instep is relaxing into the support as opposed to feeling knotted up.

Anybody have any experience eating off the property? My reservations for the 28th and 29th are both after 8pm so might be looking into some options off of the resort. Also been hearing more and more pore reviews for Mckee's... unfortunate really.

My experience has been that the town of Bandon rolls up its sidewalks about 6 PM. The only thing open after that is Edgewater's and a couple bars. Even before 6, the selection in town is limited and quality is at or below the resort's. My opinion and YMMV. I'm also usually way too beat to get in the car and drive into town.

Better to find an alternative onsite. The Tufted Puffin lounge has a good bar menu and you can get most anything off the Gallery menu as well. Rarely a wait. You can also call McKee's and see if they have had a cancellation. I've gotten in earlier doing that a couple times.