Another Bandon Thread...

Dsevans8

I've been taking groups for years and we play quota, since we have had a mix of abilities (+5-25 handicap).

If you're staying at the resort, utilize their tournament services.

I'd be interested in hearing about their tournament services? I mean we only really have 8 guys so I don't know if that warrants the price of having Bandon put something together for us? Could you provide a little more info if you have used them? Thanks

My group doesn't stay on site, so I do all the tournament stuff myself through golfgenius. But if you call Bandon and ask, I'm sure they'll set you up. They'll handle the scoreboard, cards, scoring, etc.

Yes they could do everything...they have multiple events(tournies) throughout the year for groups.

But as per MR, for 8 guys prob not worth the extra costs. golfgenuis, scratch18, or other apps could handle it all for you. Even CTPs, you could just do your own.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following, had this exact question for an upcoming trip with hdcp ranges 9, 11, 20 and 26.

Quick side question. Are your 2:40 tee times guaranteed finishes? I have 2:30 times in March with the last guaranteed time being 2:20. Given pace of play, should we expect to finish?

Depends on when in March - DST starts on the 10th. After that date, sunset is from 7:17PM (on the 10th) to 7:41 PM (on the 31st), which should be plenty of time to finish a round.

Prior to the 10th, sunset is around 6:45PM, which could be pushing it for finishing, depending on the course and conditions.

Awesome thanks, we're there 3/13 - 3/17.

My group is there the exact same dates. No official golf planned Wednesday on our arrival day but should have time to hit the Punch Bowl or maybe get out on the Preserve. Then we are doing Pac/Trails Thursday, Old Mac/Bandon Friday, then Pac/Preserve Saturday to finish things off. We have reservations at McKee's every evening and plan on being in the Bunker Bar as well, maybe we'll cross paths!

Nice! We're doing Preserve Wed evening, Bandon/Pacific/Punchbowl on Thu, Trails/OldMac on Fri, and Pacific again on Sat. McKee's every night too, though the earliest they could get us is 8pm.

Also guys is there anything that you wish you would have done or known your first time going to Bandon? Like I said, we have 5 first timers on this trip and I really would love for them to take in as much as possible. I remember my first time (at Bandon)haha... Felt like the whole trip happened way too fast and when I got home it was like the whole trip was just one big experience, and a little hard to say I remembered every hole, or every cool vista on the course.

http://www.golfwrx.c...-do-differently

That one covers a lot of that kinds of stuff :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Also guys is there anything that you wish you would have done or known your first time going to Bandon? Like I said, we have 5 first timers on this trip and I really would love for them to take in as much as possible. I remember my first time (at Bandon)haha... Felt like the whole trip happened way to fast and when I got home it was like the whole trip was just one big experience, and a little hard to say I remembered every hole, or every cool vista on the course.

Not much you can do about that. I think the first three or four trips went fast for me, really a blur. There is a certain amount of Awe that is just going to happen, especially since there's so much discussion and anticipation going on in places like WRX. The good news is that, for every single golfer I've ever come across who has been to Bandon, they have the same response when it's time to leave:

"When are we coming back?"

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Also guys is there anything that you wish you would have done or known your first time going to Bandon? Like I said, we have 5 first timers on this trip and I really would love for them to take in as much as possible. I remember my first time (at Bandon)haha... Felt like the whole trip happened way to fast and when I got home it was like the whole trip was just one big experience, and a little hard to say I remembered every hole, or every cool vista on the course.

Not much you can do about that. I think the first three or four trips went fast for me, really a blur. There is a certain amount of Awe that is just going to happen, especially since there's so much discussion and anticipation going on in places like WRX. The good news is that, for every single golfer I've ever come across who has been to Bandon, they have the same response when it's time to leave:

That was how it was for me my first time. I was on the 11th hole on Bandon Dunes and I was calling reservations making sure I could get back again the next year. I just had a buddy go for the first time and his response was the same, already making plans to go back. The hard part is that it can be difficult to quantify the exact reason you are so drawn to it and wan't to come back as soon as possible.

That was how it was for me my first time. I was on the 11th hole on Bandon Dunes and I was calling reservations making sure I could get back again the next year. I just had a buddy go for the first time and his response was the same, already making plans to go back. The hard part is that it can be difficult to quantify the exact reason you are so drawn to it and wan't to come back as soon as possible.

Oooh, I think I sense a good new thread topic, here....

I see where this is going... and I approve greatly!

I see where this is going... and I approve greatly!

We’re all gonna end up in a 12 step program

Actually this makes me think. Could we do a group WRX trip to Bandon? Would they work with us and save some rooms so no one has to put the big deposit on a credit card? How many could we get in smaller groups? Like most of us that go as singles or people here that have no one to go with or a group that can gather 2 but not a foursome?

Maybe the early shoulder season or Thanksgiving weekend? Rates are down then.

Anyone think it could work? Just draw numbers for tee times?

Actually this makes me think. Could we do a group WRX trip to Bandon? Would they work with us and save some rooms so no one has to put the big deposit on a credit card? How many could we get in smaller groups? Like most of us that go as singles or people here that have no one to go with or a group that can gather 2 but not a foursome?

Maybe the early shoulder season or Thanksgiving weekend? Rates are down then.

Anyone think it could work? Just draw numbers for tee times?

Could work.

A common strategy for the Bandonista is to book way in advance and then mark their calendars a few days before the 30 day window where the deposit becomes non-refundable and cancel if necessary. Those that fly typically know even further in advance, say 45 days, if they're going to make it or not.

I've had a lot of luck booking tee times in that 45 to 30 day window. We could start a thread next fall, say around Labor Day, to give guys time to book flights. I typically haven't found it difficult to get on as a single, although a twosome is getting difficult on short notice. But, multiple foursomes is tough. I think the only way that's going to happen is for someone to go out on a limb and get what's available now and then follow up at 45 days, 40 days, etc. I doubt they would work with you, as they don't really need to... rooms and tee times sell like hot cakes!

They have been pretty accommodating when I have made reservations a year out. Usually will allow each individual to call within 24 hours and put their own card on file and pay their share of the deposit. It would require one person to be in charge, make the initial reservation, initial deposit and be on the hook for trying to get it all organized.

Call me crazy, but maybe the best approach would be to wait for the new 18 on the Sheep's Ranch in 2020?

You figure we have a ton of folks who love Bandon on the forums. A ton of guys on the west coast that can drive in to play. Everyone is going to want to come to see the new course anyways.

Perhaps we pick one date after the grand opening and then see how much interest we have? If they'd hold the block of tee times for a set amount of time, say 72 hours or so, then everyone could make their own travel arrangements and decide how much longer they want to stay. Right after Turkey day is a great time to go.... Thanksgiving 2020? Ha, that seems like a ridiculously long time in the future :)

Imagine the trip report from that. I'm in if it happens.

Bandon employees reporting to their manager: Sir, those golfwrxers drank all our scotch and ate 3 plastic decorative lobsters!

Second employee: now they're hitting golf balls at a Coast Guard helicopter that's yelling at them "get out of the hurricane you idiots!

Well I'm in. Our next trip is in 60 days! Masters weekend! I'm two months out and I'm already thinking about 2020.

Depending on what month you want to go in 2020, you might want to make that reservation sooner rather than later. Weekends in February are already gone, and March is close behind.

I’m part of yearly Bandon trip in which we have group of 16. We have wide range of hcp and multiply by 0.9...works pretty well and sandbaggers don’t get invited back.

We have daily games and a 3 putt pot that goes to lowest total combined....gets pretty big

Daily buy in is $30 person that covers 10/10/10 for each below.

1. 3 day low net tourney w payout to top three.

2. Daily skins of full group...usually only a few skins with such a big group so decent pay out.

3. Daily net team game in which you take lowest two scores of your randomly chosen foursome.

All in all this works pretty well in that everyone wins something and can feel good about covering a few drinks.

Call me crazy, but maybe the best approach would be to wait for the new 18 on the Sheep's Ranch in 2020?

You figure we have a ton of folks who love Bandon on the forums. A ton of guys on the west coast that can drive in to play. Everyone is going to want to come to see the new course anyways.

Perhaps we pick one date after the grand opening and then see how much interest we have? If they'd hold the block of tee times for a set amount of time, say 72 hours or so, then everyone could make their own travel arrangements and decide how much longer they want to stay. Right after Turkey day is a great time to go.... Thanksgiving 2020? Ha, that seems like a ridiculously long time in the future :)

My buddies and I are looking at a trip in 2020 and I've wondered about the new Sheep Ranch course. I've searched but wasn't able to find much info, is the new course slated to open in 2020?

My buddies and I are looking at a trip in 2020 and I've wondered about the new Sheep Ranch course. I've searched but wasn't able to find much info, is the new course slated to open in 2020?

Nothing official. There's a pet theory from some caddies that they'll shoot for a soft opening in time for the US Amateur in 2020 for publicity purposes. A few of us heard this from caddies in the last few months, and saw equipment out on the Sheep Ranch land, but it sounds like management/ownership is keeping things on the downlow.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be clear: Quota is modified stableford....you just take out the HC at the beginning. Makes it much more fair for all involved. W/O Quota, the high HC tend to have a distinct advantage.

e.g. (Assuming par 72) Players are 5 HC, their quota is 31 points; 20 HC quota is 16 points. Then it is is mod stableford points: 0 = double, 1 = bog, 2= par, 4 = bird, 6 = eagle, 8 = alb.

Most over their quota is the objective.

Ok that makes sense. Sounds like a really fun game to play. Also it seems like it gives everyone a really good chance to win.

This sounds like a good idea

No laying has a great game they play. A modified stableford game (that accounts for handicaps) called tilt.

I’ve been playing it and it’s a ton of fun

https://nolayingup.c...018/07/31/tilt/

This is the exact game my group of 8 is going to play. Sounded like a lot of fun when they described playing it on their Bandon trip!

Thanks for sharing. This game sounds fun.

Guys I wanted to bump this topic a little bit. Getting geared up for Bandon trip in the next few weeks...7 rounds in 4 days. I haven't walked/ carried my bag much the last 12 months, but figured I should get back in the swing of it as I am not planning on getting a caddie for any of my rounds. So my question is what are your suggestions for keeping your legs and especially your feet fresh so that you can enjoy those rounds. I'm not really worried that I won't be able to handle them physically, it's just if there was a way to make it easier of keep my legs and feet feeling fresh that would be great. Anybody purchase any special insoles, or soak their feet in the hot tub between rounds? Planning on changing my shoes and socks between rounds and stay off my feet but will probably have an hour between rounds. Thanks!

Best advice I can give you is to take a roll of white athletic tape. If you start to feel the smallest sign of a "hot spot" due to abrasion, get out ahead of it. Don't let a hot spot turn into a blister. I'll get a jump start on my group coming off the green, have the tape out, catch a seat on a bench, a sock ripped off, my shoe off, the tape applied, sock back on, and shoe back on in time to tee off last.

Rubbing a blister is the only thing I've ever encountered that will ruin a walking round for me.

Guys I wanted to bump this topic a little bit. Getting geared up for Bandon trip in the next few weeks...7 rounds in 4 days. I haven't walked/ carried my bag much the last 12 months, but figured I should get back in the swing of it as I am not planning on getting a caddie for any of my rounds. So my question is what are your suggestions for keeping your legs and especially your feet fresh so that you can enjoy those rounds. I'm not really worried that I won't be able to handle them physically, it's just if there was a way to make it easier of keep my legs and feet feeling fresh that would be great. Anybody purchase any special insoles, or soak their feet in the hot tub between rounds? Planning on changing my shoes and socks between rounds and stay off my feet but will probably have an hour between rounds. Thanks!

Have you played there before? The ground is typically pretty hard. I've heard of guys playing in running shoes, but I was playing in spikeless the entire time we were last there (and changing shoes and socks between rounds). To each their own, but not sure spiked shoes are always warranted and they tend to be more uncomfortable than spikeless (from my experience). True Linkswear are the most comfortable golf shoes I have ever owned although I also wouldn't break in a new pair on site. Lastly, I've heard merino socks are the way to go, but don't have any experience myself in that regard.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

Have you played there before? The ground is typically pretty hard. I've heard of guys playing in running shoes, but I was playing in spikeless the entire time we were last there (and changing shoes and socks between rounds). To each their own, but not sure spiked shoes are always warranted and they tend to be more uncomfortable than spikeless (from my experience). True Linkswear are the most comfortable golf shoes I have ever owned although I also wouldn't break in a new pair on site. Lastly, I've heard merino socks are the way to go, but don't have any experience myself in that regard.

Yeah played there plenty.... just wanted to get others opinions on what you have done to keep your legs fresh or prepare your legs for the amount of walking and the amount of time you are going to spend on your feet. Not sure if there is any perfect solution to staying fresh, but if there are any tricks you have used that have served you well that would be great.

I like to stretch a bit every few holes, especially my hamstrings and calves. Nothing intense, just a few seconds in a squat or front-fold. I've found that helps a lot over the course of 36 holes. Also, some stretching or light yoga in the morning before you have breakfast does wonders. Foam rollers are helpful for some folks.

Shoe/sock changes are good, but all my shoes are pretty well broken in, so that's not as much of an issue for me, unless it's really wet, then I'll change after the first round. I also walk a lot at home, so I'm in pretty good walking shape to begin with.

I have gone to a process of using a Riksha in the morning round, then switching to a light carry bag for the second round (now with a half-set). That shifts the burden between legs and shoulders across the two rounds.

Finally, I hit the hot tub and/or sauna each evening. That gives a whole-body relaxation that is pretty much required for me...