Callaway Rogue

BrandonG31

I had attempted to pick up a rogue driver to mess around with. No luck. Callaway learned to better limit inventory so that old product isn’t overly available flooding the market and stealing sales of new product. 

As a result, I did a CPO trade and will be testing Mavrik Max. 

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

10 minutes ago, Cwing said:

I had attempted to pick up a rogue driver to mess around with. No luck. Callaway learned to better limit inventory so that old product isn’t overly available flooding the market and stealing sales of new product. 

As a result, I did a CPO trade and will be testing Mavrik Max. 

Interesting...makes sense. Definitely don’t see many Rogues out there for re-sale. What’s a “CPO” trade? Still getting used to the lingo on here...way too many complex abbreviations, Lol!

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

CPO = “Callaway Preowned”. I used their Trade In, Trade Up program combined with Black Friday/ holiday pricing.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/golf-clubs/trade-in-trade-up/

CPO “like new” is often new. I traded a set of irons and came away with Mavrik Max driver and Mavrik Max 3-wood. Both unhit and heads wrapped in plastic. The driver shaft notes demo on the end of the grip and it came with a generic Callaway head cover. The 3-wood cane w/Mavrik head cover. 

Edited by Cwing
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

31 minutes ago, Cwing said:

CPO = “Callaway Preowned”. I used their Trade In, Trade Up program combined with Black Friday/ holiday pricing.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/golf-clubs/trade-in-trade-up/

CPO “like new” is often new. I traded a set of irons and came away with Mavrik Max driver and Mavrik Max 3-wood. Both unhit and heads wrapped in plastic. The driver shaft notes demo on the end of the grip and it came with a generic Callaway head cover. The 3-wood cane w/Mavrik head cover. 

Ah Ok...sweet! Sounds great, Mavrik Max looks awesome for sure! How do you like them so far?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

7 minutes ago, Skhacker said:

They just weren’t marketed like the Epic. And when you release every year like Callaway and TM many products get lost in the mix. 

They simply didn’t keep the name as they did with Epic but I believe they got the same/similar promotion as all their other lines at the time of release. 

Epic to Rogue. Rogue to Epic Flash. Epic Flash to Mavrik and now it appears it will be back to Epic “Speed”.  

What I find interesting is this:

Star Wars Rogue One = Callaway Rogue line

Top Gun 2 (original release was slated for 2020). Main character call-sign Maverick. Callaway line = Mavrik  

So, what’s the big movie release slated for 2022? 

• Like 2

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

3 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Ah Ok...sweet! Sounds great, Mavrik Max looks awesome for sure! How do you like them so far?

Too soon to tell. Two rounds in. Zero time at range to try and dial in settings. Wet, windy, cooler temps, gaming a “winter” ball and had it at different settings for each round (standard one round, -1 the next) so can’t really compare distance, etc. I also put a different shaft in it for each round as well.

I can say, I believe when it is all said and done it will be more forgiving than my M4 and Callaway Epic. I believe the 3-wood will also be more forgiving than my M4 but I suspect I may struggle with the taller face profile from the deck.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

I guess I could have noted this as well. My buddy has been gaming a regular 9*. TM SIM most of the year. He had struggled with to much fade bias with it. Not typically out of play left to right but a definite left to right ball flight that would be somewhere between a “power” fade and a slice.  He’s still getting decent distance with it. I’ve hit it a handful of times and also found it to be fade biased. Again, not out of bounds right but definitely more left to right that my gamer M4.

He has the SIM set at standard 9*. I don’t know that he had actual attempted to dial it in. I made no attempt to try to dial it in for me on my limited strikes as Ive only hit his on course. In fairness, with some trials / proper fitting, this may be correctable. That stated, he tried the Mavrik Max (10.5* turned down to -1 in neutral) and wanted to keep hitting it.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

I’ve had a rogue hybrid for about a year now. I’m not hitting it my best right now but that’s a me issue. I recently sold my TS3 and went to a Rogue. I’ve only been on course with it a few times and the range a few more times than that. I’m hitting it pretty well. I am inconsistent in general with driver. For me it’s as good as anything I’ve hit out of the middle and more stable on miss hits than my TS3 was, especially strikes out on the toe. I had been keeping an eye out for one with a HZRDUS yellow 75 gram shaft for quite some time abs when one popped up I jumped in it. 

Rogue it sure seemed well regarded here:https://www.golfwrx.com/503982/fitters-choice-whats-the-best-driver-of-2018/

• Thanks 1

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

"Full" 10-Club Bag currently looks like this:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818H1 25* Fuji Atmos Black 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 7-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Vokey SM9 50.08F

Vokey SM9 56.10S

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

1 hour ago, Skhacker said:

They just weren’t marketed like the Epic. And when you release every year like Callaway and TM many products get lost in the mix. 

Yeah, I didn’t know the whole history on the Rogue and didn’t make sense to me why no one really talks about them and you see them so rarely in people’s WITB etc. They seem like awesome clubs to me so far that should have a lot more buzz, but it all makes sense now looking at Callaway’s history with Mavrik and Epic.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

48 minutes ago, rkillian said:

I’ve had a rogue hybrid for about a year now. I’m not hitting it my best right now but that’s a me issue. I recently sold my TS3 and went to a Rogue. I’ve only been on course with it a few times and the range a few more times than that. I’m hitting it pretty well. I am inconsistent in general with driver. For me it’s as good as anything I’ve hit out of the middle and more stable on miss hits than my TS3 was, especially strikes out on the toe. I had been keeping an eye out for one with a HZRDUS yellow 75 gram shaft for quite some time abs when one popped up I jumped in it. 

Rogue it sure seemed well regarded here:https://www.golfwrx.com/503982/fitters-choice-whats-the-best-driver-of-2018/

Wow...that praise on Rogue from the WRX fitters is incredible!!! Hadn’t seen that...very cool!! All I knew before I bought my Rogue Driver, 3W, and Hybrid is that every review I found online gave them 5-stars, and all I’ve known since is they’ve been awesome clubs that have improved my game quickly in every way! Definitely underrated clubs that should have way more buzz!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 3/7/2019 at 4:49 PM, jkim27 said:

Pretty sure all the Callaway staffers were playing all Rogue last year. Don't think anyone stuck with Epic in 2018.

I play a Rogue and performance is great. Hate the sound though. High pitched "tink" sound and not the nice powerful crunch that you get with the TM products.

Hot melt. 

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

• 1 month later...

I have tended to stick with Callaway heads over the last several years. I like the way they look and perform, and I have about five different shafts with Callaway OptiFit adapters so I can mix and match. 

I've used the Fusion, Epic Flash, Rogue Draw and Rogue Sub Zero over the last two seasons. The Rogue Sub Zero is the one that is really working for me lately. I am not a high swing speed player and I don't necessarily need or desire low spin, but with the Rogue SZ I find that I get the flight I want and hit the center of the clubface more often. 

Still, it's going on three-year old tech now, so I've been a little tempted by some of the new-for-2021 offerings. Common sense tells me that someone with my puny swing speed isn't likely to see a big leap in performance by going from the Rogue SZ to a new Sim 2 or whatever. 

I've watched a lot of review vids from TXG and others to try to confirm this theory. I know they didn't feel like the Mavrik line offered anything the Rogue didn't already handle just fine. I'm curious if the new Epic Speed might, but I sort of doubt it. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I ended up letting go of my Rogue Driver, but am holding on to the Rogue 3-wood and Hybrid 4. The more in played with the Driver and also spoke to others about it, the more I saw that I wasn’t alone in finding it very unforgiving.

When you hit it on the sweet-spot it’s an absolute bomber, and I hit some great drives with it, but I found off-center hits were extremely punishing. My misses are usually right, and the off-center misses right were waaaay out into the corn fields. The misses left in turn got very hooky very quickly.

Trying a SIM Max D for Driver now instead for this upcoming season...from practicing in the garage it seems much more forgiving and feels like it refuses to miss right, but we’ll see how it goes live on the course when the snow thaws.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I skipped Rogue. I went Fusion, Epic, TM M4 and now I’m trying a Mavrik Max. I’ve only used the Mavrik Max in cooler temperatures but I like what I see.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

On 1/26/2021 at 10:10 PM, BallerNate said:

I ended up letting go of my Rogue Driver, but am holding on to the Rogue 3-wood and Hybrid 4. The more in played with the Driver and also spoke to others about it, the more I saw that I wasn’t alone in finding it very unforgiving.

I never played the Rogue driver, but I had the 4W and 4H.  Both of mine had the stock Aldila Synergy shafts and they were absolute cannons.  I really wish I had kept them.

Titleist TSi3 D (10.0*) HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60

Titleist TS2 F (16.5*) Tensei AV Blue 65

Titleist TS2 H (21.0*) Tensei AV Blue 70

PING i525 Irons (4-PW) Project X IO 105

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50) DG Spinner
Cleveland RTX Full Face (56) DG Spinner
Bettinardi BB-8 Wide (SuperStroke 1.0)

11 minutes ago, stormin70 said:

I never played the Rogue driver, but I had the 4W and 4H.  Both of mine had the stock Aldila Synergy shafts and they were absolute cannons.  I really wish I had kept them.

Yeah, I’m going to keep the Rogue 3W and Hybrid until I can find something to beat them out.

No regrets about selling the Rogue Driver though...I can already tell just from hitting balls in the garage that the SIM Max D is way more forgiving and will be longer on mishits than the Rogue. The Rogue is definitely a cannon when you hit it in the sweet spot, but anything off the sweet spot can lead to some wild misses and a steep decrease in yardage.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 3/7/2019 at 4:49 PM, jkim27 said:

Pretty sure all the Callaway staffers were playing all Rogue last year. Don't think anyone stuck with Epic in 2018.

I play a Rogue and performance is great. Hate the sound though. High pitched "tink" sound and not the nice powerful crunch that you get with the TM products.

I'm in my second sub zero Rogue. Add a fee grams of hot melt and that ridiculous tink becomes a thump!

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X