2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Practice in the Winter

sync71

Well I have had to put the clubs away for another long winter unlike some of you lucky people my season is done which sucks :tongue:. I was wondering what you all do for practice int he snowy winter months? Do you do any fitness training, do yo have a net, and do u putt around your living room carpet. I do the putting all the time. I am going to be buy a net this winter and as for training what do all of you do?Because I have never really done off season fitness training and I was wondering what to do.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will i live in MN. So it's starting to snow up here as of now. My instructor is in Dallas so i make a few trips down there over the winter months to work with him. As for fitness, i have a personal trainer that builds me workout routines and helps me with flexibillity. i is a great way to go but i am 18 and getting my game ready for college, and the pro ranks. if your younger, i would just do push ups situps, lots of ab work, and flexibility as well. Being flexible is very important. If you can get a personal trainer that can monitor what you are doing and can guide you along the way. That is very important.

Croonie

It is currently snowing as i type so my "outdoor" golf season is officially over. Every day i hit into a net for about 1-2 hours and putt on a mat. I'm just starting some sports medicine golf program at this medical center which is pretty cool. There are personal trainers and pros to help you there. They have a ton of cool high tech golf related excercise machines which i'm pumped to use!! No one will recognize me next season! :tongue: jk!!

Living in Wisconsin, my season is over....we got snow today :-( . However, I am planning on using the winter to get in shape for next year.

My strength coach gave me a series of stretches and crunches to use to work on my flexibility and strengthening my core and lower back. He also has me walking on a treadmill (I suggested running but was overrulled....) a couple of miles a time, about three times a week, so that my legs have the endurance to walk 36 holes of competitive golf a day.

-Thomas

Living in Wisconsin, my season is over....we got snow today :-( .  However, I am planning on using the winter to get in shape for next year.

My strength coach gave me a series of stretches and crunches to use to work on my flexibility and strengthening my core and lower back.  He also has me walking on a treadmill (I suggested running but was overrulled....) a couple of miles a time, about three times a week, so that my legs have the endurance to walk 36 holes of competitive golf a day.

-Thomas

65564[/snapback]

Thats a good idea I have a treadmill, Except never really use it I should start doing that so I can start walking more 36 hole rounds without getting as tired.

Also this might sound like a stupid qestion but does anyone know where I can get a net at a good price?

:tongue: Hey i live in PA too itsa not that bad here.... 70- one day it was awesome today 40 but definately playable weather...during the winter i fly to florida every 3 weeks or so for 3-4 days down to my grandparents house to work on my game and stay sharp..as long as its not snowing or raining ill play .... i'd def break out the pocket warmers and cart mitts.... I actually just got back from the gym started my offseason workout.... just some cario...then light weights just to gets the muscles warmed up.... im going to start with my trainer next week...... ill always swing or go in the backyard and work on those 5 yd an inshots out of thick rough.....just make up some targets....my season is never really over i have to stay sharp bc il travel for some tourneys over the winter months...my next tourney isnt til the END of december after Xmas so that is why i started working out now. :cheesy:

I still have to talk to cory puyear or Athletico to talk to him about indoor golf training facilities like his in PA.

Best of luck

DaN

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

well i just got word, that my coachs range is not going to be up and running because he works at hartefeld too, so he does not want to pay for heating at his range and hartefeld, so he is turning hartfelds outdoor range to have a couple heated tents and then his school building wtih the computers, it will be great. Although i will not be able to get out on the course as often as i would like, because i have to walk the course. i am not so crazy that i will freeze to death while walking, a cart might be differnt.

im from northern ireland, im 17 and play on the junor tour over here - there are 5 under 18 tounries, 5 under 21 tournies and like 10 mens comps i play in all of them. the winters here are quite cold and windy especially in royal coounty down golf lcub, where i practice in the winter, the range is perfect and so are the greens. i played in the ricki rarick junior tour and the arizona junior golf association tour, i won twice came second once and finished 5th twice, so it wasnt a bad season., my uncle is my coach he is in tucson arizona, i give him videos of my swing every week to keep on plane etc. has anybody got any good fitness exercises for the back and lower body

tom

:tongue: Hey i live in PA too itsa not that bad here.... 70- one day it was awesome today 40 but definately playable weather...during the winter i fly to florida every 3 weeks or so for 3-4 days down to my grandparents house to work on my game and stay sharp..as long as its not snowing or raining ill play .... i'd def break out the pocket warmers and cart mitts....  I actually just got back from the gym started my offseason workout.... just some cario...then light weights just to gets the muscles warmed up.... im going to start with my trainer next week......  ill always swing or go in the backyard and work on those 5 yd an inshots out of thick rough.....just make up some targets....my season is never really over i have to stay sharp bc il travel for some tourneys over the winter months...my next tourney isnt til the END of december after Xmas so that is why i started working out now. :cheesy:

I still have to talk to cory puyear or Athletico to talk to him about indoor golf training facilities like his in PA.

Best of luck

DaN

66060[/snapback]

Thatd be so awesome to be able to fly down to my uncles in florida and play every 3 weeks but I dont have enough money lol.

I live in Maine, so the season has officially ended for us :tongue: Starting last week I started my winter workout regimen, I start eating heathier (more concious about what type of foods I eat), I work out 5 days a week (3 days in the gym, and 2 days I go out for ~5 mile runs, just to keep the cardiovascular health in shape).

Last winter was the first winter I started doing this, and I could tell a huge difference in my physical condition during the days that you play from sun up to sun down. For breakfast, I usually have a fruit (most of the time either a banana or oarnge), 2 eggs (I only eat the whites), and either a muffin or toast. Lunch is normally a big meal for me, I make sure I have a good variety, our school lunches are actually VERY good about giving us options (Deli Bar, where we can make our own sandwich or wrap, Salad Bar, that has spinich and iceburg lettuce to choose from, along with fruits and vegies up to your eye balls, it's great --> also for the typical highschool student there is the hot lunch, which is like a grilled chicken sandwich, pizza, pasta, ect.). We have two 25 minute lunch breaks, and I eat during both of them. I have a Wrap (Tomato Wrap, Lettuce, Tomato, Grilled Chicken, American Cheese, and LF Ranch Dressing), along with a salad, with a fruit that looks appealing to me. For the second lunch, I normally pick up one of the hot lunches if there is something that I like (I LOVE when they serve the pasta, because carbs are very important for keeping energy). After school I head right to the weight room on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Our school has a really neat set up, it looks just like something you would find at a YMCA, or any typical gym. I work with medicine balls, squats, bench pressing and shoulder stuff, and also the core (abdominals, also lower back) is VERY important to keep strong.

As for working on the golf swing, I have a Big Moss putting green in the basement which I spend A LOT of time on, working on those 10 footers, and right before I go to bed every night, I won't go to sleep until I make 100 five footers in a row. My pro and I set up a net and big mat in the bar and grille of the club house so he and I can work on our swings during the winter. I also go down to my fathers house who lives in Alabama during February break, so I go and play some of the Robert Trent Jones golf Trail, also during April, I go down to Louisiana to my Grandparents house and spend a lot of time over at the LSU practice facility (the public facility has a REALLY good range and short game facility. They have a ginormous putting green with two bunkers, a little par three course to keep your wedge game tight, and a all grass HUGE hitting surface for the range, it's a lot of fun). I think winter is a great time to get into good shape for the upcoming golf season, think about it, if you spend all winter just sitting around, maybe swinging a club here and there, and put on 10-15 pounds, and your cardio health goes to hell you're not going to feel very good after a 36 hole walk in those first two months of golf season.

Just a thought, start working out, and do some low and high stress cardio work outs, but remember your core is one of the most important parts of the golf swing strength.

Later boys, Bryan

Seasons now over here in Minnesota, won't be lifting that much this winter as I'm trying to stay fresh for the entire hockey season. Anybody who says football is tougher than hockey should see me on Fridays and Sundays, the day after games. I'm going to be setting my net up pretty soon and I work on my stroke a lot on the carpet in my basement. I'm also driving to Florida over spring break and I shouldbe able to play 7-10 rounds to get ready for the season. Seasons been over for only four days and I can't wait for next year.

As far as my workouts in the winter, a lot of abs, more stretching than anything else, running, bench, some squats, and in the spring I start my off-season hockey workouts, which include a lot of weights and alot of running.

Year is well and truly over here. I will do some weight training and go to the range most weeks. Over the winter it is a good time to seriously revamp your swing as your not playing any competitive golf. Unfortunately becuase of the weather I have been on the course in 3 weeks! I think I'm getting withdrawl symptoms.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

• 1 month later...

Indoor Golf Dome near me=huge. I'm going there tomorrow, can't wait. You can pick up on what your ball flight is there, the wall is 150 yards out, unless you have a small fade/cut. But, You'll know if you hit a slice or hook. If I really need to see ball flight the entire way, I'll go to a heated range, but only if it's a dire situtation (like if the dome is closed).

I go to basically keep loose.

[sign here]