US Kids Priority Status

> @leezer99 said:

> > @yellowlover519 said:

>

> > What does wanting to play in a competitive field have anything to do with result-focus that is different than playing on a local pga section event against the field? Is your son just playing for fun at a local section event? Doesn't care at all how he finishes relative to the field? Playing in a competitive field should light a fire to understand where you stack up against your peers. In theory, it should bring out the pressures of tournament golf.

>

> You are comparing yourself to others which is a results oriented goal. If your kid places fifth but shoots his best round ever, would you consider it a failure because he didn't win? My son plays in one of the most competitive PGA leagues in the country in the 12-14 year old division as an 11 year old. He doesn't win but that's not our goal and yes, he is fine with it.

>

> > If you are talking about the benefits of playing without a caddy, I get that argument, and I strongly agree. If you are talking about the benefits of playing from longer yardages, I get that as well (although at a certain point, it becomes a lesser tournament because your playing bogey golf with a few pars sprinkled in).

>

> The benefits of playing without a caddie are huge. Kids learn through failure and caddies are there to limit failure. With my son at least, he can reach every hole within regulation. If he misses the green for whatever reason he has to bear down and rely on his short game (which isn't great but he has a plan to work on it).

>

> > But are you saying that it is better to play in local pga section events at 12u than USKG? I think that is an interesting argument and would like to hear more...

>

> Your local PGA section is in the business of giving back and growing the game. US Kids is in the business of making a profit and stroking egos of parents by giving medals to the top five kids in every event, posting pictures on IG and rewarding you for better play by allowing you to spend a bunch of money on regionals and worlds. We were very lucky in our area with our US Kids tournament director but even he went and made his own tour that now just a year in is providing a better environment for kids 9 - 18.

I really don't think this is good advice for 99% of parents reading this forum.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @CTgolf said:

>

> > I really don't think this is good advice for 99% of parents reading this forum.

>

> Yes, in gymnastics this would be considered elite versus pre-elite. Everyone has their own journey.

No comment on gymnastics, but to respond to your points:

1) playing longer courses is good SOMETIMES; it's also good to play courses that are shorter once in awhile to focus on other parts of the game and feel the pressure of having to go low; some coaches would even go so far as to say only playing longer setups can be detrimental in that the junior may simply get used to "not scoring low"

2) players > 8yo don't have to play with a caddie in US Kids - it is optional; caddies can also be hands off and simply carry the bag, allowing the player to make his own mistakes/decisions (which I have seen many experienced parents do)

3) most local PGA sections don't have tours outside of the summer season; that makes US Kids the only game in town for many juniors

Lastly, in my opinion winning is extremely important in a competitive athlete's development. It builds confidence, it is fun and it develops a necessary mentality in a young athlete if he wants to reach his full potential. Knowing that you are (one of, if not the) best and are expected to win creates a type of pressure that doesn't exist as an underdog who isn't expected to be competitive. Ideally both types of situational competition should be part of an athlete's development.

> @CTgolf said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @yellowlover519 said:

> >

> > > What does wanting to play in a competitive field have anything to do with result-focus that is different than playing on a local pga section event against the field? Is your son just playing for fun at a local section event? Doesn't care at all how he finishes relative to the field? Playing in a competitive field should light a fire to understand where you stack up against your peers. In theory, it should bring out the pressures of tournament golf.

> >

> > You are comparing yourself to others which is a results oriented goal. If your kid places fifth but shoots his best round ever, would you consider it a failure because he didn't win? My son plays in one of the most competitive PGA leagues in the country in the 12-14 year old division as an 11 year old. He doesn't win but that's not our goal and yes, he is fine with it.

> >

> > > If you are talking about the benefits of playing without a caddy, I get that argument, and I strongly agree. If you are talking about the benefits of playing from longer yardages, I get that as well (although at a certain point, it becomes a lesser tournament because your playing bogey golf with a few pars sprinkled in).

> >

> > The benefits of playing without a caddie are huge. Kids learn through failure and caddies are there to limit failure. With my son at least, he can reach every hole within regulation. If he misses the green for whatever reason he has to bear down and rely on his short game (which isn't great but he has a plan to work on it).

> >

> > > But are you saying that it is better to play in local pga section events at 12u than USKG? I think that is an interesting argument and would like to hear more...

> >

> > Your local PGA section is in the business of giving back and growing the game. US Kids is in the business of making a profit and stroking egos of parents by giving medals to the top five kids in every event, posting pictures on IG and rewarding you for better play by allowing you to spend a bunch of money on regionals and worlds. We were very lucky in our area with our US Kids tournament director but even he went and made his own tour that now just a year in is providing a better environment for kids 9 - 18.

>

> I really don't think this is good advice for 99% of parents reading this forum.

I actually think this is great advice. I have the same experience as leezer and think he is spot on here.

UK Kids tournaments are ok but I found after living in a few states and playing different tours the tour tends to stroke parents Ego more then development of the golfer. I don't blame the tour operators but if you want a full field every week you better look the other way and keep those parents happy.

PGA sections without Caddies are where you play once you start to become more serious. My younger 8 year daughter still plays US Kids locals because well it's 9 holes and I can hold her hand and give her a hug when she hits that chip flying over the green. In a year or two when I can stand on the sidelines and she can play without me I will probably never do another US Kids event.

> @leezer99 said:

> Your local PGA section is in the business of giving back and growing the game. US Kids is in the business of making a profit and stroking egos of parents by giving medals to the top five kids in every event, posting pictures on IG and rewarding you for better play by allowing you to spend a bunch of money on regionals and worlds. We were very lucky in our area with our US Kids tournament director but even he went and made his own tour that now just a year in is providing a better environment for kids 9 - 18.

Agree with this 1000%. Your local PGA or local state association will almost certainly care more about you than USKids. USKids allowed an entire metro area of kids to get screwed over this year because it did not magically fit with their financials. If a local PGA or our local organizations schedules and commits to a tournament they will see it through no matter what. This summer showed me a lot about where USKids true loyalties and cares lie and it is not with the golfers, it is with their pocket book plain and simple. That is not saying there are not great local tour directors, both of the local tour directors for the tours we drive to are wonderful but the organization as a whole cares more about money than anything else.

> @tiger1873 said:

> Has anyone noticed that since the new status came out kids are getting lower scores? Looking at some local events since world it seems like score's seemed to drop a bit? I think too early to read into anything but does anyone else think that parents will do what ever it takes to lower the scores to gain status?

Its just the shorter distances mainly. They shortened almost all the local tour distances.

> @tiger1873 said:

> Has anyone noticed that since the new status came out kids are getting lower scores? Looking at some local events since world it seems like score's seemed to drop a bit? I think too early to read into anything but does anyone else think that parents will do what ever it takes to lower the scores to gain status?

They shortened a lot of the age groups. Our tour director was told by USKG to play to the shorter side because USKG wants lower scores.

I should add, this past Sunday we played a course that was on our tour in the past it was almost 100 yards shorter than before.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > Has anyone noticed that since the new status came out kids are getting lower scores? Looking at some local events since world it seems like score's seemed to drop a bit? I think too early to read into anything but does anyone else think that parents will do what ever it takes to lower the scores to gain status?

>

> Its just the shorter distances mainly. They shortened almost all the local tour distances.

Yes, I was chatting with another parent and they said that one course they played was driver wedge all day.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > Has anyone noticed that since the new status came out kids are getting lower scores? Looking at some local events since world it seems like score's seemed to drop a bit? I think too early to read into anything but does anyone else think that parents will do what ever it takes to lower the scores to gain status?

> >

> > Its just the shorter distances mainly. They shortened almost all the local tour distances.

>

> Yes, I was chatting with another parent and they said that one course they played was driver wedge all day.

Yeah our local tour 9 year olds are playing 1750-1800....that is almost silly short in my opinion. I asked my son about it and he said he thought it was too short, he would rather play the 2200-2300 he has been playing in other events. For reference my son is by no means a long hitter either but this summer has been filled with events that were anywhere from 2200 to 2550 a side so he actually did not like the idea of going back down to that short.

> @AUSweeper said:

> > @mrshinsa said:

> > That's exactly our plan. We have status already and I cringe at the idea of paying $60 for some of the dumps our local director books.

>

> That’s what I’m expecting. It’s good for getting more competitive fields at worlds or whatever, but I’m not so sure it’s good for US Kids’ business with kids playing the minimum.

I haven't read the entire thread so maybe someone has brought this up....There's a lot of focus on how the new system will affect the better players and how it's set up so that they'll just play 4 events, get their scores and move on. This is true. But what is also happening is that priority status has been dramatically expanded to include players that are far from good. I think you can get level 1 by shooting 120 or below. So, it seems to me they are trying to be more inclusive of more players in the bottom for the local tours while trying to make their regional and world fields dramatically stronger.

From a business perspective, it makes sense. They need bodies to show up at locals, not ringers. Kid shooting 115 pays same as kid shooting 68. And, with starting status that low, it gives developing players a very visible ladder to climb and see the incremental progress in their game rewarded--thus making it more likely they continue to play. I can't tell you how many kids I've seen show up at local tour events, shoot 63 on 9 holes, lose by 25-30 and then not show back up. Now, they have an incentive to come back and turn that 63 into a 58 and actually be rewarded for it. This, in my opinion, is a very good thing.

I do not understand why playing USKG or Local PGA have too be mutually exclusive. We play both and plan to keep it that way for the foreseeable future. My son is 12 and the experience of playing by yourself and handling a long course is as invaluable playing to a short course where the sole goal is too shoot low and win/place.

He plays much more aggressive golf in USKG then in PGA ,, it takes a certain mindset to know that you need birdie the next couple holes in order to place and beat your opponent - I would not discount that type of play.

Given his age and length of the tee, he will not have that mindset in PGA but he also learns the best way to save par on each hole :smile:

We did the PGA in the summer and now US Kids in the fall.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @yellowlover519 said:

> > We are in the same boat. A lot more PGA section events in the summer. My son just moved to 11-year old division and he is not a short hitter (he could reach all of leezer’s first round in regulation with the exception of the 9th par 4 at 435 - I guess it depends how it plays bc he hit a USKG par 5 in two playing 420). But irrespective of that, I am just struggling with the notion that playing USKG yardages does more harm than good or that PGA section events at 12u is better than USKG events. Isn’t the ideal scenario for boys junior golf to bomb driver and be sharp with your short iron and wedge game? Not sure if my son is going very far if he’s got hybrid, long iron or 5 wood into greens all the time. Does the opinion change if I say 11U?

> >

> > I get the no caddying but I see very few good 11-year olds and 12-year olds at USKG that are caddy-dependent.

>

> Depends on who you believe giving advice out there.

>

> Lots of people who have very good track records recommend that you learn how to hit long irons into the green. They will flat out tell you the short game is the easiest part to learn. It makes a lot sense if you step back and think about it.

>

I think it depends on what kind of player you become. At the professional level there is one guy that is deadly with his long irons. Tiger, period. Every one else tends to rely on a wedge game or putting to separate themselves from the pack. I’m not saying that applies to junior golf.

> @darter79 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > Has anyone noticed that since the new status came out kids are getting lower scores? Looking at some local events since world it seems like score's seemed to drop a bit? I think too early to read into anything but does anyone else think that parents will do what ever it takes to lower the scores to gain status?

>

> They shortened a lot of the age groups. Our tour director was told by USKG to play to the shorter side because USKG wants lower scores.

>

> I should add, this past Sunday we played a course that was on our tour in the past it was almost 100 yards shorter than before.

That doesn't sound good. I want things to be harder not easier can't stand putting my kids in birdie Fest's . Those are the worst tournaments. Just drive it down the center and wedge it close to the hole and hope they don't miss a putt chip or putt. Add in crazy caddies and you end up with a kid hating golf. I sort of get the feeling US Kids is in decline for them to do this.

• Like 1

> @"Pinewood Golfer" said:

> > @AUSweeper said:

> > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > That's exactly our plan. We have status already and I cringe at the idea of paying $60 for some of the dumps our local director books.

> >

> > That’s what I’m expecting. It’s good for getting more competitive fields at worlds or whatever, but I’m not so sure it’s good for US Kids’ business with kids playing the minimum.

>

> I haven't read the entire thread so maybe someone has brought this up....There's a lot of focus on how the new system will affect the better players and how it's set up so that they'll just play 4 events, get their scores and move on. This is true. But what is also happening is that priority status has been dramatically expanded to include players that are far from good. I think you can get level 1 by shooting 120 or below. So, it seems to me they are trying to be more inclusive of more players in the bottom for the local tours while trying to make their regional and world fields dramatically stronger.

>

> From a business perspective, it makes sense. They need bodies to show up at locals, not ringers. Kid shooting 115 pays same as kid shooting 68. And, with starting status that low, it gives developing players a very visible ladder to climb and see the incremental progress in their game rewarded--thus making it more likely they continue to play. I can't tell you how many kids I've seen show up at local tour events, shoot 63 on 9 holes, lose by 25-30 and then not show back up. Now, they have an incentive to come back and turn that 63 into a 58 and actually be rewarded for it. This, in my opinion, is a very good thing.

The are just looking for bodies to show up at all levels they must be seeing a decline in numbers.

One thing I noticed is a Season is getting shorter on our local tour. I think it is like 5 events for 1 month I thought it was 2 or 3 months not that long ago. The way the fee's work I want to make sure I play a few events. The problem is I really only want to do a tournament 1 once a month for my 8 year. This is especially true when you have older ones playing. So that means it's a season fee of $40 and a tournament fee of $37 for $77 for 9 holes. That is a pretty expensive to play on the crappy courses they play.

With PGA Section you pay registration once a year and then just pay for tournaments.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @"Pinewood Golfer" said:

> > > @AUSweeper said:

> > > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > That's exactly our plan. We have status already and I cringe at the idea of paying $60 for some of the dumps our local director books.

> > >

> > > That’s what I’m expecting. It’s good for getting more competitive fields at worlds or whatever, but I’m not so sure it’s good for US Kids’ business with kids playing the minimum.

> >

> > I haven't read the entire thread so maybe someone has brought this up....There's a lot of focus on how the new system will affect the better players and how it's set up so that they'll just play 4 events, get their scores and move on. This is true. But what is also happening is that priority status has been dramatically expanded to include players that are far from good. I think you can get level 1 by shooting 120 or below. So, it seems to me they are trying to be more inclusive of more players in the bottom for the local tours while trying to make their regional and world fields dramatically stronger.

> >

> > From a business perspective, it makes sense. They need bodies to show up at locals, not ringers. Kid shooting 115 pays same as kid shooting 68. And, with starting status that low, it gives developing players a very visible ladder to climb and see the incremental progress in their game rewarded--thus making it more likely they continue to play. I can't tell you how many kids I've seen show up at local tour events, shoot 63 on 9 holes, lose by 25-30 and then not show back up. Now, they have an incentive to come back and turn that 63 into a 58 and actually be rewarded for it. This, in my opinion, is a very good thing.

>

> The are just looking for bodies to show up at all levels they must be seeing a decline in numbers.

>

> One thing I noticed is a Season is getting shorter on our local tour. I think it is like 5 events for 1 month I thought it was 2 or 3 months not that long ago. The way the fee's work I want to make sure I play a few events. The problem is I really only want to do a tournament 1 once a month for my 8 year. This is especially true when you have older ones playing. So that means it's a season fee of $40 and a tournament fee of $37 for $77 for 9 holes. That is a pretty expensive to play on the crappy courses they play.

>

> With PGA Section you pay registration once a year and then just pay for tournaments.

$37 for 9 holes? We have to pay $57 in our locals.

• Like 1

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @"Pinewood Golfer" said:

> > > @AUSweeper said:

> > > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > That's exactly our plan. We have status already and I cringe at the idea of paying $60 for some of the dumps our local director books.

> > >

> > > That’s what I’m expecting. It’s good for getting more competitive fields at worlds or whatever, but I’m not so sure it’s good for US Kids’ business with kids playing the minimum.

> >

> > I haven't read the entire thread so maybe someone has brought this up....There's a lot of focus on how the new system will affect the better players and how it's set up so that they'll just play 4 events, get their scores and move on. This is true. But what is also happening is that priority status has been dramatically expanded to include players that are far from good. I think you can get level 1 by shooting 120 or below. So, it seems to me they are trying to be more inclusive of more players in the bottom for the local tours while trying to make their regional and world fields dramatically stronger.

> >

> > From a business perspective, it makes sense. They need bodies to show up at locals, not ringers. Kid shooting 115 pays same as kid shooting 68. And, with starting status that low, it gives developing players a very visible ladder to climb and see the incremental progress in their game rewarded--thus making it more likely they continue to play. I can't tell you how many kids I've seen show up at local tour events, shoot 63 on 9 holes, lose by 25-30 and then not show back up. Now, they have an incentive to come back and turn that 63 into a 58 and actually be rewarded for it. This, in my opinion, is a very good thing.

>

> The are just looking for bodies to show up at all levels they must be seeing a decline in numbers.

>

> One thing I noticed is a Season is getting shorter on our local tour. I think it is like 5 events for 1 month I thought it was 2 or 3 months not that long ago. The way the fee's work I want to make sure I play a few events. The problem is I really only want to do a tournament 1 once a month for my 8 year. This is especially true when you have older ones playing. So that means it's a season fee of $40 and a tournament fee of $37 for $77 for 9 holes. That is a pretty expensive to play on the crappy courses they play.

>

> With PGA Section you pay registration once a year and then just pay for tournaments.

Is it a decline in number or the constant push for growth? Local Tour in the Bay Area is around $53 (+ dividing the tour fee across all the tournaments comes out to $57-58 if I recall) for some pretty craptastic courses.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

> @Kcct82 said:

> Is it a decline in number or the constant push for growth? Local Tour in the Bay Area is around $53 (+ dividing the tour fee across all the tournaments comes out to $57-58 if I recall) for some pretty craptastic courses.

I do not know what the overall numbers are but I can tell you there is 4 years apart between my kids and I notice US Kids seems to feel like it has less kids. 4 or 5 years ago the Short Game was really popular and I think it brought in a lot kids but we are seeing a natural decline. In the past you would see new faces every week but now you have pretty much the same parents week in week out.

I've also noticed there seems to less tours active locally when I try and look around for regions. I think we are seeing a lot more activity in local pga junior sections and state level tournaments which is were it should be.

The change in priority is because there are less local tours and they need bodies from the more popular tours to fill the tournaments at least that is my feeling. If local tours were more popular they wouldn't be trying to fill them with kids from more popular tours who get lower scores and perhaps move on to the local pga junior tour.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @"Pinewood Golfer" said:

> > > > @AUSweeper said:

> > > > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > > That's exactly our plan. We have status already and I cringe at the idea of paying $60 for some of the dumps our local director books.

> > > >

> > > > That’s what I’m expecting. It’s good for getting more competitive fields at worlds or whatever, but I’m not so sure it’s good for US Kids’ business with kids playing the minimum.

> > >

> > > I haven't read the entire thread so maybe someone has brought this up....There's a lot of focus on how the new system will affect the better players and how it's set up so that they'll just play 4 events, get their scores and move on. This is true. But what is also happening is that priority status has been dramatically expanded to include players that are far from good. I think you can get level 1 by shooting 120 or below. So, it seems to me they are trying to be more inclusive of more players in the bottom for the local tours while trying to make their regional and world fields dramatically stronger.

> > >

> > > From a business perspective, it makes sense. They need bodies to show up at locals, not ringers. Kid shooting 115 pays same as kid shooting 68. And, with starting status that low, it gives developing players a very visible ladder to climb and see the incremental progress in their game rewarded--thus making it more likely they continue to play. I can't tell you how many kids I've seen show up at local tour events, shoot 63 on 9 holes, lose by 25-30 and then not show back up. Now, they have an incentive to come back and turn that 63 into a 58 and actually be rewarded for it. This, in my opinion, is a very good thing.

> >

> > The are just looking for bodies to show up at all levels they must be seeing a decline in numbers.

> >

> > One thing I noticed is a Season is getting shorter on our local tour. I think it is like 5 events for 1 month I thought it was 2 or 3 months not that long ago. The way the fee's work I want to make sure I play a few events. The problem is I really only want to do a tournament 1 once a month for my 8 year. This is especially true when you have older ones playing. So that means it's a season fee of $40 and a tournament fee of $37 for $77 for 9 holes. That is a pretty expensive to play on the crappy courses they play.

> >

> > With PGA Section you pay registration once a year and then just pay for tournaments.

>

> $37 for 9 holes? We have to pay $57 in our locals.

Playing a different tour for Fall and the tournament fee is $37 for all private CC's. Compare that to our local tour that charges over $60 and get to play courses like this:

88l8080dvzah.jpeg

> @kekoa said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @"Pinewood Golfer" said:

> > > > > @AUSweeper said:

> > > > > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > > > That's exactly our plan. We have status already and I cringe at the idea of paying $60 for some of the dumps our local director books.

> > > > >

> > > > > That’s what I’m expecting. It’s good for getting more competitive fields at worlds or whatever, but I’m not so sure it’s good for US Kids’ business with kids playing the minimum.

> > > >

> > > > I haven't read the entire thread so maybe someone has brought this up....There's a lot of focus on how the new system will affect the better players and how it's set up so that they'll just play 4 events, get their scores and move on. This is true. But what is also happening is that priority status has been dramatically expanded to include players that are far from good. I think you can get level 1 by shooting 120 or below. So, it seems to me they are trying to be more inclusive of more players in the bottom for the local tours while trying to make their regional and world fields dramatically stronger.

> > > >

> > > > From a business perspective, it makes sense. They need bodies to show up at locals, not ringers. Kid shooting 115 pays same as kid shooting 68. And, with starting status that low, it gives developing players a very visible ladder to climb and see the incremental progress in their game rewarded--thus making it more likely they continue to play. I can't tell you how many kids I've seen show up at local tour events, shoot 63 on 9 holes, lose by 25-30 and then not show back up. Now, they have an incentive to come back and turn that 63 into a 58 and actually be rewarded for it. This, in my opinion, is a very good thing.

> > >

> > > The are just looking for bodies to show up at all levels they must be seeing a decline in numbers.

> > >

> > > One thing I noticed is a Season is getting shorter on our local tour. I think it is like 5 events for 1 month I thought it was 2 or 3 months not that long ago. The way the fee's work I want to make sure I play a few events. The problem is I really only want to do a tournament 1 once a month for my 8 year. This is especially true when you have older ones playing. So that means it's a season fee of $40 and a tournament fee of $37 for $77 for 9 holes. That is a pretty expensive to play on the crappy courses they play.

> > >

> > > With PGA Section you pay registration once a year and then just pay for tournaments.

> >

> > $37 for 9 holes? We have to pay $57 in our locals.

>

> Playing a different tour for Fall and the tournament fee is $37 for all private CC's. Compare that to our local tour that charges over $60 and get to play courses like this:

> 88l8080dvzah.jpeg

>

Wtf is that?! That course should be ashamed of itself.

> @yellowlover519 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > @"Pinewood Golfer" said:

> > > > > > @AUSweeper said:

> > > > > > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > > > > That's exactly our plan. We have status already and I cringe at the idea of paying $60 for some of the dumps our local director books.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That’s what I’m expecting. It’s good for getting more competitive fields at worlds or whatever, but I’m not so sure it’s good for US Kids’ business with kids playing the minimum.

> > > > >

> > > > > I haven't read the entire thread so maybe someone has brought this up....There's a lot of focus on how the new system will affect the better players and how it's set up so that they'll just play 4 events, get their scores and move on. This is true. But what is also happening is that priority status has been dramatically expanded to include players that are far from good. I think you can get level 1 by shooting 120 or below. So, it seems to me they are trying to be more inclusive of more players in the bottom for the local tours while trying to make their regional and world fields dramatically stronger.

> > > > >

> > > > > From a business perspective, it makes sense. They need bodies to show up at locals, not ringers. Kid shooting 115 pays same as kid shooting 68. And, with starting status that low, it gives developing players a very visible ladder to climb and see the incremental progress in their game rewarded--thus making it more likely they continue to play. I can't tell you how many kids I've seen show up at local tour events, shoot 63 on 9 holes, lose by 25-30 and then not show back up. Now, they have an incentive to come back and turn that 63 into a 58 and actually be rewarded for it. This, in my opinion, is a very good thing.

> > > >

> > > > The are just looking for bodies to show up at all levels they must be seeing a decline in numbers.

> > > >

> > > > One thing I noticed is a Season is getting shorter on our local tour. I think it is like 5 events for 1 month I thought it was 2 or 3 months not that long ago. The way the fee's work I want to make sure I play a few events. The problem is I really only want to do a tournament 1 once a month for my 8 year. This is especially true when you have older ones playing. So that means it's a season fee of $40 and a tournament fee of $37 for $77 for 9 holes. That is a pretty expensive to play on the crappy courses they play.

> > > >

> > > > With PGA Section you pay registration once a year and then just pay for tournaments.

> > >

> > > $37 for 9 holes? We have to pay $57 in our locals.

> >

> > Playing a different tour for Fall and the tournament fee is $37 for all private CC's. Compare that to our local tour that charges over $60 and get to play courses like this:

> > 88l8080dvzah.jpeg

> >

> Wtf is that?! That course should be ashamed of itself.

>

Seen my fair share of those type of courses. Hard to even call that golf. Does it even matter to aim???

> @kekoa said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > That's exactly our plan. We have status already and I cringe at the idea of paying $60 for some of the dumps our local director books.

> > > > >

> > > > > That’s what I’m expecting. It’s good for getting more competitive fields at worlds or whatever, but I’m not so sure it’s good for US Kids’ business with kids playing the minimum.

> > > >

> > > > I haven't read the entire thread so maybe someone has brought this up....There's a lot of focus on how the new system will affect the better players and how it's set up so that they'll just play 4 events, get their scores and move on. This is true. But what is also happening is that priority status has been dramatically expanded to include players that are far from good. I think you can get level 1 by shooting 120 or below. So, it seems to me they are trying to be more inclusive of more players in the bottom for the local tours while trying to make their regional and world fields dramatically stronger.

> > > >

> > > > From a business perspective, it makes sense. They need bodies to show up at locals, not ringers. Kid shooting 115 pays same as kid shooting 68. And, with starting status that low, it gives developing players a very visible ladder to climb and see the incremental progress in their game rewarded--thus making it more likely they continue to play. I can't tell you how many kids I've seen show up at local tour events, shoot 63 on 9 holes, lose by 25-30 and then not show back up. Now, they have an incentive to come back and turn that 63 into a 58 and actually be rewarded for it. This, in my opinion, is a very good thing.

> > >

> > > The are just looking for bodies to show up at all levels they must be seeing a decline in numbers.

> > >

> > > One thing I noticed is a Season is getting shorter on our local tour. I think it is like 5 events for 1 month I thought it was 2 or 3 months not that long ago. The way the fee's work I want to make sure I play a few events. The problem is I really only want to do a tournament 1 once a month for my 8 year. This is especially true when you have older ones playing. So that means it's a season fee of $40 and a tournament fee of $37 for $77 for 9 holes. That is a pretty expensive to play on the crappy courses they play.

> > >

> > > With PGA Section you pay registration once a year and then just pay for tournaments.

> >

>

> Playing a different tour for Fall and the tournament fee is $37 for all private CC's. Compare that to our local tour that charges over $60 and get to play courses like this:

> 88l8080dvzah.jpeg

>

Bet you got some good Instagram likes when you posted that! Haha

> @kekoa said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> 88l8080dvzah.jpeg

>

Oh we’re close! We played in OC last winter. I remember having to tee off at 7 in the morning when it was only 40+ degrees. My 6 YO was frozen stiff.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > @"Pinewood Golfer" said:

> > > > > > @AUSweeper said:

> > > > > > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > > > > That's exactly our plan. We have status already and I cringe at the idea of paying $60 for some of the dumps our local director books.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That’s what I’m expecting. It’s good for getting more competitive fields at worlds or whatever, but I’m not so sure it’s good for US Kids’ business with kids playing the minimum.

> > > > >

> > > > > I haven't read the entire thread so maybe someone has brought this up....There's a lot of focus on how the new system will affect the better players and how it's set up so that they'll just play 4 events, get their scores and move on. This is true. But what is also happening is that priority status has been dramatically expanded to include players that are far from good. I think you can get level 1 by shooting 120 or below. So, it seems to me they are trying to be more inclusive of more players in the bottom for the local tours while trying to make their regional and world fields dramatically stronger.

> > > > >

> > > > > From a business perspective, it makes sense. They need bodies to show up at locals, not ringers. Kid shooting 115 pays same as kid shooting 68. And, with starting status that low, it gives developing players a very visible ladder to climb and see the incremental progress in their game rewarded--thus making it more likely they continue to play. I can't tell you how many kids I've seen show up at local tour events, shoot 63 on 9 holes, lose by 25-30 and then not show back up. Now, they have an incentive to come back and turn that 63 into a 58 and actually be rewarded for it. This, in my opinion, is a very good thing.

> > > >

> > > > The are just looking for bodies to show up at all levels they must be seeing a decline in numbers.

> > > >

> > > > One thing I noticed is a Season is getting shorter on our local tour. I think it is like 5 events for 1 month I thought it was 2 or 3 months not that long ago. The way the fee's work I want to make sure I play a few events. The problem is I really only want to do a tournament 1 once a month for my 8 year. This is especially true when you have older ones playing. So that means it's a season fee of $40 and a tournament fee of $37 for $77 for 9 holes. That is a pretty expensive to play on the crappy courses they play.

> > > >

> > > > With PGA Section you pay registration once a year and then just pay for tournaments.

> > >

> > > $37 for 9 holes? We have to pay $57 in our locals.

> >

> > Playing a different tour for Fall and the tournament fee is $37 for all private CC's. Compare that to our local tour that charges over $60 and get to play courses like this:

> > 88l8080dvzah.jpeg

> >

> Oh we’re close! We played in OC last winter. I remember having to tee off at 7 in the morning when it was only 40+ degrees. My 6 YO was frozen stiff.

>

Looks like a bad softball field

My son isn't playing this season but seeing some nutty low scores from one of our tours. A kid (great player don't get me wrong) who has only broken par once or twice before threw down a -5 31 on Saturday. Course was set up 1750 for 9 year olds and you can tell he took advantage of sub 200 yard par 4s and the two par 5s that were short.

> @kekoa said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> 88l8080dvzah.jpeg

>

Goats on that track?

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

a > @kekoa said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> 88l8080dvzah.jpeg

>

must be the SoCal drought