2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping Anser manganese bronze question

shredNECTAR

Was thinking about getting the manganese bronze anser 1 via Morton’s golf sales. Just wanted to see if anyone had the newer one that they sell and if they still are using it? Was really thinking about getting more of a premium putter like bettinardi bb1, but for some reason I’m drawn to the original Ping. If you guys could help me come to a conclusion on what I should go with that would be much appreciated. Also if you could provide pics of the anser 1 purchased thru Morton golf sales that would be fantastic. Their picture on the website is small and just has the back of the putter which STINKS. Thanks!

I just purchased a bronze Ping Zing at my local PGA Superstore. Your quote "Was really thinking about getting more of a premium putter like X, but for some reason I’m drawn to the original Ping." best describes my encounter as well. I pulled many putters off the rack and spent an hour rolling putts and slowly weeding them out. In the end, the Zing felt great, rolled the ball well, and at $119 (which is higher than Morton's I believe, but pales in comparison to SC, Piretti, Bettinardi, etc) is priced as a steal versus many other brands. The only modification I made was purchasing the larger Ping corded pistol putter grip. I did all of this AFTER having a putter fitting, which helped me understand which type of designs, neck angles, etc are best suited for me. If you haven't done that, I'd say it's worth the investment before buying any type of putter.

I have a lot of older ping putters and a few of them feel just as good if not better than a lot of modern putters. It's cool to pull out an original Ping and think of all the variations it's inspired for every putter manufacturer out there. Just think of how many brands are replying on Anser/Anser 2 style putters as staples of their year in and year out lineups.

While my BeCu Anser 2 and BeNi Anser still occasionally make their way to the practice green, their gamer time has past. I'll get nostalgic every now and then, but FOR ME, modern putters just look nicer, and have better weight and balance.

I recently bought an old Ping My Day off the BST here. I also thought about buying one of those classics off Mortons, but I have always loved the My Day / Faxon shape the most. It is awesome! But they are light, so lead tape is needed. Its worth a shot at the price too. If you don't like it you can likely sell it for what you paid. That was my thinking anyway.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Several things to consider, I played one for many years back in the 1980's into the early 2000's. I now play an Odyssey that is an Anser copy.

They are lighter than most modern putters, but some lead tape in the cavity can rectify that if it's an issue. I have one in my office at work with some lead tape.

They make a much different sound than modern milled or face insert putters, some like that feel others don't. They sounded great with the old balata balls from that era, but feel a bit harsh with a ProV in my opinion.

They are a revolutionary design, and have won a lot of tournaments over the years, there is a reason they have been copied so much.

I think the standard lie is 72* so you may or may not want them flattened.

They are super durable, no head cover needed! this is actually one of the things l like the most.

They look cool.

There are two basic Anser's in bronze. The Anser that is slightly smaller and has a sound slot and no site line, and the Anser 3 which is the slightly larger version with the site line in the cavity. I have one of each and they both putt well but I prefer a modern putter for it's feel and weight. The great news is that there are tons of them on the market and they are usually in good shape and pretty cheap. So it's a low risk investment.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I have an Anser and Anser X which I sent to Ping and had milled. Each have spent time in the bag. The Anser was in play for several years. There are pics of both in the Ping Putter thread. I currently have a Ping Ti4 in the bag. They are lighter than “modern” putters, of course, so is a Cameron 009 at 330g.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

The few manganese bronze "classic putters" have a painted/coated head which is significantly brighter than the original no finish tumbled bronze heads.

Also, the current painted/coated heads do not darken from sun exposure like the original bronze heads did.

If you are interested in a Ping managnese bronze I suggest shopping on ebay for a used one (some of them for sale still look new) and trying the putter.Depending on condition, shipped prices will probably range from about $30 to $150

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

> @Fairway14 said:

> The few manganese bronze "classic putters" have a painted/coated head which is significantly brighter than the original no finish tumbled bronze heads.

> Also, the current painted/coated heads do not darken from sun exposure like the original bronze heads did.

> If you are interested in a Ping managnese bronze I suggest shopping on ebay for a used one (some of them for sale still look new) and trying the putter.Depending on condition, shipped prices will probably range from about $30 to $150

Not true, you can still buy the original Manganese Bronze that will patina, see here for an example. I ordered this putter a couple of years ago and it gets a nice dark patina real quick...

https://www.mortongolfsales.com/PING-Manganese-Bronze-Scottsdale-Anser-Putter-p/PING_MANGANESE_BRONZE_Scottsda.htm

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @brew4eagle said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > The few manganese bronze "classic putters" have a painted/coated head which is significantly brighter than the original no finish tumbled bronze heads.

> > Also, the current painted/coated heads do not darken from sun exposure like the original bronze heads did.

> > If you are interested in a Ping managnese bronze I suggest shopping on ebay for a used one (some of them for sale still look new) and trying the putter.Depending on condition, shipped prices will probably range from about $30 to $150

>

> Not true, you can still buy the original Manganese Bronze that will patina, see here for an example...

> https://www.mortongolfsales.com/PING-Manganese-Bronze-Scottsdale-Anser-Putter-p/PING_MANGANESE_BRONZE_Scottsda.htm

Yes, the putter in your link has a painted/coated finish. About 15 years ago Ping discontinued selling most of their manganese bronze models but kept in the line a few of the best selling models. At that time the company switched from no-finish tumbled to the painted/coated finish which Morton's (and other Ping retailers) offer for sale. So, it's a relatively bright paint/coating which is kind of a yellow-gold color . Unlike the original tumbled no finish manganese bronze, the current painted/coated version does not darken from sunlight, time, age etc...

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @brew4eagle said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > The few manganese bronze "classic putters" have a painted/coated head which is significantly brighter than the original no finish tumbled bronze heads.

> > > Also, the current painted/coated heads do not darken from sun exposure like the original bronze heads did.

> > > If you are interested in a Ping managnese bronze I suggest shopping on ebay for a used one (some of them for sale still look new) and trying the putter.Depending on condition, shipped prices will probably range from about $30 to $150

> >

> > Not true, you can still buy the original Manganese Bronze that will patina, see here for an example...

> > https://www.mortongolfsales.com/PING-Manganese-Bronze-Scottsdale-Anser-Putter-p/PING_MANGANESE_BRONZE_Scottsda.htm

>

> Yes, the putter in your link has a painted/coated finish. About 15 years ago Ping discontinued selling most of their manganese bronze models but kept in the line a few of the best selling models. At that time the company switched from no-finish tumbled to the painted/coated finish which Morton's (and other Ping retailers) offer for sale. So, it's a relatively bright paint/coating which is kind of a yellow-gold color . Unlike the original tumbled no finish manganese bronze, the current painted/coated version does not darken from sunlight, time, age etc...

It 100% darkens, completely. Very dark just like any old Ping putter. No paint or finish, just raw metal. Will look like these in a couple weeks...

bpjx9mnp9ku2.jpg

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @brew4eagle said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > > @brew4eagle said:

> > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > The few manganese bronze "classic putters" have a painted/coated head which is significantly brighter than the original no finish tumbled bronze heads.

> > > > Also, the current painted/coated heads do not darken from sun exposure like the original bronze heads did.

> > > > If you are interested in a Ping managnese bronze I suggest shopping on ebay for a used one (some of them for sale still look new) and trying the putter.Depending on condition, shipped prices will probably range from about $30 to $150

> > >

> > > Not true, you can still buy the original Manganese Bronze that will patina, see here for an example...

> > > https://www.mortongolfsales.com/PING-Manganese-Bronze-Scottsdale-Anser-Putter-p/PING_MANGANESE_BRONZE_Scottsda.htm

> >

> > Yes, the putter in your link has a painted/coated finish. About 15 years ago Ping discontinued selling most of their manganese bronze models but kept in the line a few of the best selling models. At that time the company switched from no-finish tumbled to the painted/coated finish which Morton's (and other Ping retailers) offer for sale. So, it's a relatively bright paint/coating which is kind of a yellow-gold color . Unlike the original tumbled no finish manganese bronze, the current painted/coated version does not darken from sunlight, time, age etc...

>

> It 100% darkens, completely. Very dark just like any old Ping putter. No paint or finish, just raw metal. Will look like these in a couple weeks...

> bpjx9mnp9ku2.jpg

>

Yes, the Anser in your photo is of original manganese bronze, no paint/coating, and will darken. As far as I know, that is not what Morton's is selling. At least not the inventory I've seen in their Haggin Oaks golf shop, or what Ping's customer telephone rep told me about their current "classic putter" inventory. I've tried Morton's and Ping looking for original no paint/coating bronze and was told no longer available.

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @brew4eagle said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > @brew4eagle said:

> > > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > > The few manganese bronze "classic putters" have a painted/coated head which is significantly brighter than the original no finish tumbled bronze heads.

> > > > > Also, the current painted/coated heads do not darken from sun exposure like the original bronze heads did.

> > > > > If you are interested in a Ping managnese bronze I suggest shopping on ebay for a used one (some of them for sale still look new) and trying the putter.Depending on condition, shipped prices will probably range from about $30 to $150

> > > >

> > > > Not true, you can still buy the original Manganese Bronze that will patina, see here for an example...

> > > > https://www.mortongolfsales.com/PING-Manganese-Bronze-Scottsdale-Anser-Putter-p/PING_MANGANESE_BRONZE_Scottsda.htm

> > >

> > > Yes, the putter in your link has a painted/coated finish. About 15 years ago Ping discontinued selling most of their manganese bronze models but kept in the line a few of the best selling models. At that time the company switched from no-finish tumbled to the painted/coated finish which Morton's (and other Ping retailers) offer for sale. So, it's a relatively bright paint/coating which is kind of a yellow-gold color . Unlike the original tumbled no finish manganese bronze, the current painted/coated version does not darken from sunlight, time, age etc...

> >

> > It 100% darkens, completely. Very dark just like any old Ping putter. No paint or finish, just raw metal. Will look like these in a couple weeks...

> > bpjx9mnp9ku2.jpg

> >

>

> Yes, the Anser in your photo is of original manganese bronze, no paint/coating, and will darken. As far as I know, that is not what Morton's is selling. At least not the inventory I've seen in their Haggin Oaks golf shop, or what Ping's customer telephone rep told me about their current "classic putter" inventory. I've tried Morton's and Ping looking for original no paint/coating bronze and was told no longer available.

It's the exact model Morton's sells and is at my local golf store. I ordered through Morton's, shipped direct from PING. Darkened immediately.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @brew4eagle said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > > @brew4eagle said:

> > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > > @brew4eagle said:

> > > > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > > > The few manganese bronze "classic putters" have a painted/coated head which is significantly brighter than the original no finish tumbled bronze heads.

> > > > > > Also, the current painted/coated heads do not darken from sun exposure like the original bronze heads did.

> > > > > > If you are interested in a Ping managnese bronze I suggest shopping on ebay for a used one (some of them for sale still look new) and trying the putter.Depending on condition, shipped prices will probably range from about $30 to $150

> > > > >

> > > > > Not true, you can still buy the original Manganese Bronze that will patina, see here for an example...

> > > > > https://www.mortongolfsales.com/PING-Manganese-Bronze-Scottsdale-Anser-Putter-p/PING_MANGANESE_BRONZE_Scottsda.htm

> > > >

> > > > Yes, the putter in your link has a painted/coated finish. About 15 years ago Ping discontinued selling most of their manganese bronze models but kept in the line a few of the best selling models. At that time the company switched from no-finish tumbled to the painted/coated finish which Morton's (and other Ping retailers) offer for sale. So, it's a relatively bright paint/coating which is kind of a yellow-gold color . Unlike the original tumbled no finish manganese bronze, the current painted/coated version does not darken from sunlight, time, age etc...

> > >

> > > It 100% darkens, completely. Very dark just like any old Ping putter. No paint or finish, just raw metal. Will look like these in a couple weeks...

> > > bpjx9mnp9ku2.jpg

> > >

> >

> > Yes, the Anser in your photo is of original manganese bronze, no paint/coating, and will darken. As far as I know, that is not what Morton's is selling. At least not the inventory I've seen in their Haggin Oaks golf shop, or what Ping's customer telephone rep told me about their current "classic putter" inventory. I've tried Morton's and Ping looking for original no paint/coating bronze and was told no longer available.

>

> It's the exact model Morton's sells and is at my local golf store. I ordered through Morton's, shipped direct from PING. Darkened immediately.

We may not be discussing the same putter. For example, Morton's classic Ping putter description reads "baked satin finish". However you've written your putter has no finish. The used putter in your photo has no finish.

I've owned at least 20 of the older no finish manganese bronze putters, and I believe the last time Ping made one like that was its 30th Anniversary Scottsdale Anser remake, and that was launched about 1995 or 1996. Since that time I believe whichever bronze models Ping has sold (or retailers were buying and stocking as new) have the paint/coating which Ping calls "baked satin". The Ping phone rep told me that once Ping started doing the baked satin finish the actual bronze material used for the cast heads was a different material as well.

Maybe the 'baked satin' is somewhat different than the original, however I ordered the 'baked satin' version from the Morton's link above and it developed a rich dark patina just like any other PING bronze putter I've had. It wasn't coated or painted, it was just raw metal. Maybe it's a different temperature treatment or something. Still darkens like before though, even says so in the item description. I've really been thinking about ordering another one. Maybe I'll do that and post a day-by-day thread to show the patina develop, could be fun.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @brew4eagle said:

> Maybe the 'baked satin' is somewhat different than the original, however I ordered the 'baked satin' version from the Morton's link above and it developed a rich dark patina just like any other PING bronze putter I've had. It wasn't coated or painted, it was just raw metal. Maybe it's a different temperature treatment or something. Still darkens like before though, even says so in the item description. I've really been thinking about ordering another one. Maybe I'll do that and post a day-by-day thread to show the patina develop, could be fun.

For decades (60's, 70's 80's and most of the 90's) Ping putters and irons had no finish. That is using either stainless steel, copper, bronze or nickel Ping cast its iron and putter heads. The heads were then put in machines with media ( like small marbles) and tumbled so that the heads had a reasonably finished , smooth look.

The lack of any finish or coating is one of the factors that made Ping irons and wedges so appealing. A player could have a Ping putter or iron for decades without there being any finish to wear off and, or collect scratches.

But for the most recent 20 years Ping's putter and iron head introductions have all had some kind of finish, which means scratches and, or, finish wear marks are easily visible. Last year I bough a set of G700 irons and within 2 rounds of golf there were scratches all over the heads. Now with about 50 rounds of playing the clubs the scratches blend into each other, and the finish has worn off the soles of the clubs, and I think the look is fine. But I do wonder why Ping abandoned its distinctive, iconic "tumble only" process of finishing its putters and irons.

This is my Anser which was pur'09. I sent it to PING last year for the face milling. They also did my Anser X. Both purchased by a pro shop direct from PING.

8gu1u4p6vkot.jpg

v3jqm1in6gib.jpg

coqdphd9fk6g.jpg

l6kgndwvok8j.jpg

• Like 3

> @shredNECTAR said:

> Anyone know the weight of the maganese scottsdale putter head vs the maganese original anser putter?

Both putters are 315 grams plus or minus 2 grams.

if I remember correctly, the milling itself was $45 and it removed approx. 5g of weight. The work is very nice. It looks great and rolls the ball very well.

If you choose to send your putter to PING, the work is excellent, but include a note and be specific about what you want. (ie, loft, lie, grip, sight line/sight dot, paintfill/no paintfill, etc.)

My only complaint was that the putter was custom ordered by me from PING years ago with no paint fill and with a 68* lie (Orange dot) and was returned to me at 70* (black dot, standard lie) and with all paint fill. In Louisiana we call the extra mile PING went to "restore" the putter to original factory issue "Lagniappe". (a little something extra) I can appreciate that. I removed the paint fill on the flange, adjusted the lie and put it in the bag.

I've considered sending it back and having weights added to bring the head up to 330g.

> @Twin2L said:

> if I remember correctly, the milling itself was $45 and it removed approx. 5g of weight. The work is very nice. It looks great and rolls the ball very well.

>

> If you choose to send your putter to PING, the work is excellent, but include a note and be specific about what you want. (ie, loft, lie, grip, sight line/sight dot, paintfill/no paintfill, etc.)

>

> My only complaint was that the putter was custom ordered by me from PING years ago with no paint fill and with a 68* lie (Orange dot) and was returned to me at 70* (black dot, standard lie) and with all paint fill. In Louisiana we call the extra mile PING went to "restore" the putter to original factory issue "Lagniappe". (a little something extra) I can appreciate that. I removed the paint fill on the flange, adjusted the lie and put it in the bag.

>

> I've considered sending it back and having weights added to bring the head up to 330g.

Thank you! I have been thinking about doing this to a 029 Anser I have as an experiment. I will add lead tape to bring up the weight.

My current gamer is an odyssey 1 white hot pro and it is red hot. Gonna wait for offseason and hopefully get the bettinardi for around 250 if there is a price drop. I currently really like my putter weight and don’t think I’d be down with the ping anser being 315 grams give or take. However, if it does show up on eBay for a great price I may just snag one for the hell of it. The white hot insert is very soft, and looking for more of a firmer milled face. I really enjoyed putting with the bettinardi at the pga superstore, so will probably go with that.

• 3 years later...
On 8/30/2019 at 4:12 PM, dlygrisse said:

Several things to consider, I played one for many years back in the 1980's into the early 2000's. I now play an Odyssey that is an Anser copy.

They are lighter than most modern putters, but some lead tape in the cavity can rectify that if it's an issue. I have one in my office at work with some lead tape.

They make a much different sound than modern milled or face insert putters, some like that feel others don't. They sounded great with the old balata balls from that era, but feel a bit harsh with a ProV in my opinion.

They are a revolutionary design, and have won a lot of tournaments over the years, there is a reason they have been copied so much.

I think the standard lie is 72* so you may or may not want them flattened.

They are super durable, no head cover needed! this is actually one of the things l like the most.

They look cool.

There are two basic Anser's in bronze. The Anser that is slightly smaller and has a sound slot and no site line, and the Anser 3 which is the slightly larger version with the site line in the cavity. I have one of each and they both putt well but I prefer a modern putter for it's feel and weight. The great news is that there are tons of them on the market and they are usually in good shape and pretty cheap. So it's a low risk investment.

I know this is and old thread , I would never apply lead tape in cavity area . Put it on the bottom, and do not cover sound slot . 

Have had Scottys and Bettnardis.  Many Odysseys through the bag.  All gone.  Totally rely on my old Pings.  BeCu Anser 4.  SST Anser 4.  MgB Anser 3. MgB My Echo.  The old My Echo spends the most time in the bag.  But, the two Anser 4's rotate through.  The Anser 3 feels harsh and it hasn't spent much time out of the basement.  

With my Scottys a Bettis, I was always worried about scratches, etc.  Always replace the cover after every hole. With the old Pings... you cannot hurt 'em.  Have lead weight on the bottom of the SST Anser 4. 

Love my old Pings.

• Like 1