Blades for mid-high handicapper?

KhooBot

Hit the MP 20s today and had very similar numbers to what I’m getting out of my CF16s without the over draw that I’ve been dealing with lately. I’ve never even considered a blade before, but the MP20 seems very easy to hit and is a lot more forgiving than I expected. Of course I was hitting a 7 iron, so there would possibly be a need to add an MMC or HMP in the longer irons, but I’m actually considering putting in an order for a set that includes the blades 7 down.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

> @Oknows said:

> Hit the MP 20s today and had very similar numbers to what I’m getting out of my CF16s without the over draw that I’ve been dealing with lately. I’ve never even considered a blade before, but the MP20 seems very easy to hit and is a lot more forgiving than I expected. Of course I was hitting a 7 iron, so there would possibly be a need to add an MMC or HMP in the longer irons, but I’m actually considering putting in an order for a set that includes the blades 7 down.

I find generally Mizunos are very easy to hit. I prefer the Titleist pre-worn sole - it makes a big difference for me off turf something you need to test as it's not noticeable off mats - but generally speaking they are more friendly than Titleist MB, TM P730 etc. I think for some reason the Apex MB and Mizuno MP series tend to be a bit friendlier.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Oknows said:

> > Hit the MP 20s today and had very similar numbers to what I’m getting out of my CF16s without the over draw that I’ve been dealing with lately. I’ve never even considered a blade before, but the MP20 seems very easy to hit and is a lot more forgiving than I expected. Of course I was hitting a 7 iron, so there would possibly be a need to add an MMC or HMP in the longer irons, but I’m actually considering putting in an order for a set that includes the blades 7 down.

>

> I find generally Mizunos are very easy to hit. I prefer the Titleist pre-worn sole - it makes a big difference for me off turf something you need to test as it's not noticeable off mats - but generally speaking they are more friendly than Titleist MB, TM P730 etc. I think for some reason the Apex MB and Mizuno MP series tend to be a bit friendlier.

Totally agreed. My inexpert guess is that it comes down to a low/thoughtful vertical CG placement and a lie angle that isn’t as upright out of the box as some other manufacturers.

The lie angle is obviously tweakable, so I would guess that cg is a big culprit for easier playability.

Separately, I know the Apex MB is reputed to have a really high COG based on Maltby. But it really didn’t play that way in my hands, so all I can think is that maybe (1) maltby’s method got the CoG wrong or (2) the smaller head and other design elements of the iron make it easier to launch/hit than the raw data might suggest.

As an amateur, please value my random thoughts at no more than 2 cents. ;)

> @revanant said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @Oknows said:

> > > Hit the MP 20s today and had very similar numbers to what I’m getting out of my CF16s without the over draw that I’ve been dealing with lately. I’ve never even considered a blade before, but the MP20 seems very easy to hit and is a lot more forgiving than I expected. Of course I was hitting a 7 iron, so there would possibly be a need to add an MMC or HMP in the longer irons, but I’m actually considering putting in an order for a set that includes the blades 7 down.

> >

> > I find generally Mizunos are very easy to hit. I prefer the Titleist pre-worn sole - it makes a big difference for me off turf something you need to test as it's not noticeable off mats - but generally speaking they are more friendly than Titleist MB, TM P730 etc. I think for some reason the Apex MB and Mizuno MP series tend to be a bit friendlier.

> Totally agreed. My inexpert guess is that it comes down to a low/thoughtful vertical CG placement and a lie angle that isn’t as upright out of the box as some other manufacturers.

>

> The lie angle is obviously tweakable, so I would guess that cg is a big culprit for easier playability.

>

> Separately, I know the Apex MB is reputed to have a really high COG based on Maltby. But it really didn’t play that way in my hands, so all I can think is that maybe (1) maltby’s method got the CoG wrong or (2) the smaller head and other design elements of the iron make it easier to launch/hit than the raw data might suggest.

>

>

> As an amateur, please value my random thoughts at no more than 2 cents. ;)

Just ordered a set of Srixon 945 heads to test. Interested to see how they go as they're considered very forgiving for an MB as well.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @revanant said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @Oknows said:

> > > > Hit the MP 20s today and had very similar numbers to what I’m getting out of my CF16s without the over draw that I’ve been dealing with lately. I’ve never even considered a blade before, but the MP20 seems very easy to hit and is a lot more forgiving than I expected. Of course I was hitting a 7 iron, so there would possibly be a need to add an MMC or HMP in the longer irons, but I’m actually considering putting in an order for a set that includes the blades 7 down.

> > >

> > > I find generally Mizunos are very easy to hit. I prefer the Titleist pre-worn sole - it makes a big difference for me off turf something you need to test as it's not noticeable off mats - but generally speaking they are more friendly than Titleist MB, TM P730 etc. I think for some reason the Apex MB and Mizuno MP series tend to be a bit friendlier.

> > Totally agreed. My inexpert guess is that it comes down to a low/thoughtful vertical CG placement and a lie angle that isn’t as upright out of the box as some other manufacturers.

> >

> > The lie angle is obviously tweakable, so I would guess that cg is a big culprit for easier playability.

> >

> > Separately, I know the Apex MB is reputed to have a really high COG based on Maltby. But it really didn’t play that way in my hands, so all I can think is that maybe (1) maltby’s method got the CoG wrong or (2) the smaller head and other design elements of the iron make it easier to launch/hit than the raw data might suggest.

> >

> >

> > As an amateur, please value my random thoughts at no more than 2 cents. ;)

>

> Just ordered a set of Srixon 945 heads to test. Interested to see how they go as they're considered very forgiving for an MB as well.

Have fun! What happened to the Apex MB—did you ever get them in the bag, or not yet? :)

> @revanant said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @revanant said:

> > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > @Oknows said:

> > > > > Hit the MP 20s today and had very similar numbers to what I’m getting out of my CF16s without the over draw that I’ve been dealing with lately. I’ve never even considered a blade before, but the MP20 seems very easy to hit and is a lot more forgiving than I expected. Of course I was hitting a 7 iron, so there would possibly be a need to add an MMC or HMP in the longer irons, but I’m actually considering putting in an order for a set that includes the blades 7 down.

> > > >

> > > > I find generally Mizunos are very easy to hit. I prefer the Titleist pre-worn sole - it makes a big difference for me off turf something you need to test as it's not noticeable off mats - but generally speaking they are more friendly than Titleist MB, TM P730 etc. I think for some reason the Apex MB and Mizuno MP series tend to be a bit friendlier.

> > > Totally agreed. My inexpert guess is that it comes down to a low/thoughtful vertical CG placement and a lie angle that isn’t as upright out of the box as some other manufacturers.

> > >

> > > The lie angle is obviously tweakable, so I would guess that cg is a big culprit for easier playability.

> > >

> > > Separately, I know the Apex MB is reputed to have a really high COG based on Maltby. But it really didn’t play that way in my hands, so all I can think is that maybe (1) maltby’s method got the CoG wrong or (2) the smaller head and other design elements of the iron make it easier to launch/hit than the raw data might suggest.

> > >

> > >

> > > As an amateur, please value my random thoughts at no more than 2 cents. ;)

> >

> > Just ordered a set of Srixon 945 heads to test. Interested to see how they go as they're considered very forgiving for an MB as well.

>

> Have fun! What happened to the Apex MB—did you ever get them in the bag, or not yet? :)

>

Might grab them too but the Srixons were very cheap and they are often referred to as some of the best blades ever made on here

Little late to the party, but some of my best ball-striking was done with the Hogan FTX set that transitioned from CB (somewhat) to a blade. But with a short playing season in Wyoming, it's hard to keep a swing the way you want it during the winter months (October-April).

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

Just picked up a set of j15 mb's from eBay yesterday that I have been wanting for a couple of years now. Super excited to give them a shot. Not a blade player anymore. Have not played blades in a long time. However, I just wanted to give them a shot as I absolutely love the shape. Need to get them re-gripped, check loft and lie and have a couple of dings buffed out, but the faces and soles are super clean. Thinking about combo-ing them with the tour b cb's I am currently bagging. From the looks, they transition really nice. Thinking of going mb 7-pw, tour b cb 5-6 and then I just received an hf2 4i. Might be a really good set up! More to come.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

> @xyckin said:

> Just needed some feedback before I go into "extensive" testing. Started golf with a set of 2017 M2 irons, moved to Titleist 716 AP1s and now I'm currently a 12ish handicap playing JPX900 Forged with C-Taper 130X and I also have another set of MP18 MB (7-PW) MMC (5-6) MMC FliHi (4) which I picked up for a mad steal. I've dabbled with the MP18 set once in a while and found it to be much nicer feeling on the range but never took it out to the course. I've also never really figured out the gapping for the MP18 set. As for the JPX900F set, I hit my 7i about 180 carry with a decently soft landing, 115-120 mph driver. I'd say my weak link is shots around the green, full shots are decent. My main issues with irons would be low strikes from being too handsy in my swing which causes me to pull the club up and thin the ball. Aside from that, my iron shots are fairly straight with a slight draw. Cured my snap hook miss by shallowing my swing and using the +4 grips. Divots with my JPX900F are fairly deep I'd say.

>

> So the main question here is, what are the real downsides of moving to my MP18s? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

Late to the party but just wanted to put my thoughts.

1) I have my normal Gamer set PW-6iron Cobra Amp Cell pros. Playing now about 2+ years now.

2) Back up Set was AP2's PW-3i

3) Prior to those was Nike 03 forged blades just because

Ok so I played MB's to have some relevant opinions? Im a mid cap I would say about a 12 ish as well..... been down further when I practiced a lot (7ish) , went through a major swing revamp recently and this is what I found. Technique and course management for a mid capper out weighs the MB vs GI/SGI for me (know my technique is getting better, but I also make hero shots and ego shots when I shouldnt). As we get to single digits, consistency and course management is even more important.

I just got back from Japan and played with my father in laws old Mizuno MS3 pro set. PW-6iron. (Traditional lofts so more like AW-7iron) I had 11 clubs total and shot an 83 with random clubs not fit to me on a relatively short course with a triple due to a bone head error, (hit a drive OB when I should have hit an iron off the tee.)

Why does this matter. My swing was not optimal in japan went to the range twice before the round to work out the clubs..... went to the course with a little bit of confidence, but played smart, didnt focus on the number on the club, but the actual lofts to distance and played smart golf.

I shoot the same score I did in Japan on an unknown course, with old blades that give UN REAL feedback if not hit well. The feel difference between my Cobra's and these Mizunos is like cotton and concrete seriously. But the results were similar if had a 130y approach and struck my cobra PW well it would be near the pin, the Mizuno's I would just use the 9iron. simple.

Now to your question pro's vs cons. I am SURE Professional golfers weigh the odds.

Lets agree that MB's vs GI/SGI have intrinsic differences.

MB's launch lower loft for loft, spin more loft for loft.

CG placement is different so side spin access applied is different. (inherently more workable strike to strike values)

If making solid contact is not a major factor, and the intrinsic value from one club head is worth giving up another facet then you play to your strengths.

Currently for me as a 12, I personally feel that my ball striking is NOT bad enough to lose a determinable amount of strokes switching from GI's (My AP2's) to playing with my MB's (Cobra's) While I have setup both clubs to have similar gappings, the swing weights length lies and lofts are all the same, the only real difference is the AP2's go a little higher and just about 3 yards larger per club, but outside of that, NO determinable score difference. A bad shot is a bad shot, a good shot is a good shot, I score relatively the same with either my misses are face control issues so left and right rather then distance loss, so the major negative effect of an MB misshit does not punish me too much.

THIS is also likely the reason why I could score the same with the old Mizuno MS3s

So YES look at your game..... look at the pro's vs con's in your abilities will the move create a determinable difference in your score. I found non at this time so I am "CHOOSING" to play what I like and that be an MB. If I found my abilities are lacking or the GI''s can provide MORE I would switch but for now, there really is nothing major or life changing for me.

GL OP have fun! crazy road you will venture on but fun!

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @xyckin said:

> > Just needed some feedback before I go into "extensive" testing. Started golf with a set of 2017 M2 irons, moved to Titleist 716 AP1s and now I'm currently a 12ish handicap playing JPX900 Forged with C-Taper 130X and I also have another set of MP18 MB (7-PW) MMC (5-6) MMC FliHi (4) which I picked up for a mad steal. I've dabbled with the MP18 set once in a while and found it to be much nicer feeling on the range but never took it out to the course. I've also never really figured out the gapping for the MP18 set. As for the JPX900F set, I hit my 7i about 180 carry with a decently soft landing, 115-120 mph driver. I'd say my weak link is shots around the green, full shots are decent. My main issues with irons would be low strikes from being too handsy in my swing which causes me to pull the club up and thin the ball. Aside from that, my iron shots are fairly straight with a slight draw. Cured my snap hook miss by shallowing my swing and using the +4 grips. Divots with my JPX900F are fairly deep I'd say.

> >

> > So the main question here is, what are the real downsides of moving to my MP18s? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

>

> Late to the party but just wanted to put my thoughts.

>

> 1) I have my normal Gamer set PW-6iron Cobra Amp Cell pros. Playing now about 2+ years now.

> 2) Back up Set was AP2's PW-3i

> 3) Prior to those was Nike 03 forged blades just because

>

>

> Ok so I played MB's to have some relevant opinions? Im a mid cap I would say about a 12 ish as well..... been down further when I practiced a lot (7ish) , went through a major swing revamp recently and this is what I found. Technique and course management for a mid capper out weighs the MB vs GI/SGI for me (know my technique is getting better, but I also make hero shots and ego shots when I shouldnt). As we get to single digits, consistency and course management is even more important.

>

> I just got back from Japan and played with my father in laws old Mizuno MS3 pro set. PW-6iron. (Traditional lofts so more like AW-7iron) I had 11 clubs total and shot an 83 with random clubs not fit to me on a relatively short course with a triple due to a bone head error, (hit a drive OB when I should have hit an iron off the tee.)

>

> Why does this matter. My swing was not optimal in japan went to the range twice before the round to work out the clubs..... went to the course with a little bit of confidence, but played smart, didnt focus on the number on the club, but the actual lofts to distance and played smart golf.

>

> I shoot the same score I did in Japan on an unknown course, with old blades that give UN REAL feedback if not hit well. The feel difference between my Cobra's and these Mizunos is like cotton and concrete seriously. But the results were similar if had a 130y approach and struck my cobra PW well it would be near the pin, the Mizuno's I would just use the 9iron. simple.

>

>

> Now to your question pro's vs cons. I am SURE Professional golfers weigh the odds.

>

> Lets agree that MB's vs GI/SGI have intrinsic differences.

>

> MB's launch lower loft for loft, spin more loft for loft.

>

> CG placement is different so side spin access applied is different. (inherently more workable strike to strike values)

>

> If making solid contact is not a major factor, and the intrinsic value from one club head is worth giving up another facet then you play to your strengths.

>

> Currently for me as a 12, I personally feel that my ball striking is NOT bad enough to lose a determinable amount of strokes switching from GI's (My AP2's) to playing with my MB's (Cobra's) While I have setup both clubs to have similar gappings, the swing weights length lies and lofts are all the same, the only real difference is the AP2's go a little higher and just about 3 yards larger per club, but outside of that, NO determinable score difference. A bad shot is a bad shot, a good shot is a good shot, I score relatively the same with either my misses are face control issues so left and right rather then distance loss, so the major negative effect of an MB misshit does not punish me too much.

>

> THIS is also likely the reason why I could score the same with the old Mizuno MS3s

>

> So YES look at your game..... look at the pro's vs con's in your abilities will the move create a determinable difference in your score. I found non at this time so I am "CHOOSING" to play what I like and that be an MB. If I found my abilities are lacking or the GI''s can provide MORE I would switch but for now, there really is nothing major or life changing for me.

>

> GL OP have fun! crazy road you will venture on but fun!

I would love the chance to play golf in Japan. Seems like the sport just fits in so well with certain Japanese sensibilities—“wabi sabi”, ephemeral beauty of nature, etc.

How did golf in Japan compare to the US? Any highlights? :)

> @revanant said:

> > @Exactice808 said:

> > > @xyckin said:

> > > Just needed some feedback before I go into "extensive" testing. Started golf with a set of 2017 M2 irons, moved to Titleist 716 AP1s and now I'm currently a 12ish handicap playing JPX900 Forged with C-Taper 130X and I also have another set of MP18 MB (7-PW) MMC (5-6) MMC FliHi (4) which I picked up for a mad steal. I've dabbled with the MP18 set once in a while and found it to be much nicer feeling on the range but never took it out to the course. I've also never really figured out the gapping for the MP18 set. As for the JPX900F set, I hit my 7i about 180 carry with a decently soft landing, 115-120 mph driver. I'd say my weak link is shots around the green, full shots are decent. My main issues with irons would be low strikes from being too handsy in my swing which causes me to pull the club up and thin the ball. Aside from that, my iron shots are fairly straight with a slight draw. Cured my snap hook miss by shallowing my swing and using the +4 grips. Divots with my JPX900F are fairly deep I'd say.

> > >

> > > So the main question here is, what are the real downsides of moving to my MP18s? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

> >

> > Late to the party but just wanted to put my thoughts.

> >

> > 1) I have my normal Gamer set PW-6iron Cobra Amp Cell pros. Playing now about 2+ years now.

> > 2) Back up Set was AP2's PW-3i

> > 3) Prior to those was Nike 03 forged blades just because

> >

> >

> > Ok so I played MB's to have some relevant opinions? Im a mid cap I would say about a 12 ish as well..... been down further when I practiced a lot (7ish) , went through a major swing revamp recently and this is what I found. Technique and course management for a mid capper out weighs the MB vs GI/SGI for me (know my technique is getting better, but I also make hero shots and ego shots when I shouldnt). As we get to single digits, consistency and course management is even more important.

> >

> > I just got back from Japan and played with my father in laws old Mizuno MS3 pro set. PW-6iron. (Traditional lofts so more like AW-7iron) I had 11 clubs total and shot an 83 with random clubs not fit to me on a relatively short course with a triple due to a bone head error, (hit a drive OB when I should have hit an iron off the tee.)

> >

> > Why does this matter. My swing was not optimal in japan went to the range twice before the round to work out the clubs..... went to the course with a little bit of confidence, but played smart, didnt focus on the number on the club, but the actual lofts to distance and played smart golf.

> >

> > I shoot the same score I did in Japan on an unknown course, with old blades that give UN REAL feedback if not hit well. The feel difference between my Cobra's and these Mizunos is like cotton and concrete seriously. But the results were similar if had a 130y approach and struck my cobra PW well it would be near the pin, the Mizuno's I would just use the 9iron. simple.

> >

> >

> > Now to your question pro's vs cons. I am SURE Professional golfers weigh the odds.

> >

> > Lets agree that MB's vs GI/SGI have intrinsic differences.

> >

> > MB's launch lower loft for loft, spin more loft for loft.

> >

> > CG placement is different so side spin access applied is different. (inherently more workable strike to strike values)

> >

> > If making solid contact is not a major factor, and the intrinsic value from one club head is worth giving up another facet then you play to your strengths.

> >

> > Currently for me as a 12, I personally feel that my ball striking is NOT bad enough to lose a determinable amount of strokes switching from GI's (My AP2's) to playing with my MB's (Cobra's) While I have setup both clubs to have similar gappings, the swing weights length lies and lofts are all the same, the only real difference is the AP2's go a little higher and just about 3 yards larger per club, but outside of that, NO determinable score difference. A bad shot is a bad shot, a good shot is a good shot, I score relatively the same with either my misses are face control issues so left and right rather then distance loss, so the major negative effect of an MB misshit does not punish me too much.

> >

> > THIS is also likely the reason why I could score the same with the old Mizuno MS3s

> >

> > So YES look at your game..... look at the pro's vs con's in your abilities will the move create a determinable difference in your score. I found non at this time so I am "CHOOSING" to play what I like and that be an MB. If I found my abilities are lacking or the GI''s can provide MORE I would switch but for now, there really is nothing major or life changing for me.

> >

> > GL OP have fun! crazy road you will venture on but fun!

>

> I would love the chance to play golf in Japan. Seems like the sport just fits in so well with certain Japanese sensibilities—“wabi sabi”, ephemeral beauty of nature, etc.

>

> How did golf in Japan compare to the US? Any highlights? :)

>

>

Im going to derail the thread so I will message you directly lol! Long story!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @revanant said:

> > > @Exactice808 said:

> > > > @xyckin said:

> > > > Just needed some feedback before I go into "extensive" testing. Started golf with a set of 2017 M2 irons, moved to Titleist 716 AP1s and now I'm currently a 12ish handicap playing JPX900 Forged with C-Taper 130X and I also have another set of MP18 MB (7-PW) MMC (5-6) MMC FliHi (4) which I picked up for a mad steal. I've dabbled with the MP18 set once in a while and found it to be much nicer feeling on the range but never took it out to the course. I've also never really figured out the gapping for the MP18 set. As for the JPX900F set, I hit my 7i about 180 carry with a decently soft landing, 115-120 mph driver. I'd say my weak link is shots around the green, full shots are decent. My main issues with irons would be low strikes from being too handsy in my swing which causes me to pull the club up and thin the ball. Aside from that, my iron shots are fairly straight with a slight draw. Cured my snap hook miss by shallowing my swing and using the +4 grips. Divots with my JPX900F are fairly deep I'd say.

> > > >

> > > > So the main question here is, what are the real downsides of moving to my MP18s? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

> > >

> > > Late to the party but just wanted to put my thoughts.

> > >

> > > 1) I have my normal Gamer set PW-6iron Cobra Amp Cell pros. Playing now about 2+ years now.

> > > 2) Back up Set was AP2's PW-3i

> > > 3) Prior to those was Nike 03 forged blades just because

> > >

> > >

> > > Ok so I played MB's to have some relevant opinions? Im a mid cap I would say about a 12 ish as well..... been down further when I practiced a lot (7ish) , went through a major swing revamp recently and this is what I found. Technique and course management for a mid capper out weighs the MB vs GI/SGI for me (know my technique is getting better, but I also make hero shots and ego shots when I shouldnt). As we get to single digits, consistency and course management is even more important.

> > >

> > > I just got back from Japan and played with my father in laws old Mizuno MS3 pro set. PW-6iron. (Traditional lofts so more like AW-7iron) I had 11 clubs total and shot an 83 with random clubs not fit to me on a relatively short course with a triple due to a bone head error, (hit a drive OB when I should have hit an iron off the tee.)

> > >

> > > Why does this matter. My swing was not optimal in japan went to the range twice before the round to work out the clubs..... went to the course with a little bit of confidence, but played smart, didnt focus on the number on the club, but the actual lofts to distance and played smart golf.

> > >

> > > I shoot the same score I did in Japan on an unknown course, with old blades that give UN REAL feedback if not hit well. The feel difference between my Cobra's and these Mizunos is like cotton and concrete seriously. But the results were similar if had a 130y approach and struck my cobra PW well it would be near the pin, the Mizuno's I would just use the 9iron. simple.

> > >

> > >

> > > Now to your question pro's vs cons. I am SURE Professional golfers weigh the odds.

> > >

> > > Lets agree that MB's vs GI/SGI have intrinsic differences.

> > >

> > > MB's launch lower loft for loft, spin more loft for loft.

> > >

> > > CG placement is different so side spin access applied is different. (inherently more workable strike to strike values)

> > >

> > > If making solid contact is not a major factor, and the intrinsic value from one club head is worth giving up another facet then you play to your strengths.

> > >

> > > Currently for me as a 12, I personally feel that my ball striking is NOT bad enough to lose a determinable amount of strokes switching from GI's (My AP2's) to playing with my MB's (Cobra's) While I have setup both clubs to have similar gappings, the swing weights length lies and lofts are all the same, the only real difference is the AP2's go a little higher and just about 3 yards larger per club, but outside of that, NO determinable score difference. A bad shot is a bad shot, a good shot is a good shot, I score relatively the same with either my misses are face control issues so left and right rather then distance loss, so the major negative effect of an MB misshit does not punish me too much.

> > >

> > > THIS is also likely the reason why I could score the same with the old Mizuno MS3s

> > >

> > > So YES look at your game..... look at the pro's vs con's in your abilities will the move create a determinable difference in your score. I found non at this time so I am "CHOOSING" to play what I like and that be an MB. If I found my abilities are lacking or the GI''s can provide MORE I would switch but for now, there really is nothing major or life changing for me.

> > >

> > > GL OP have fun! crazy road you will venture on but fun!

> >

> > I would love the chance to play golf in Japan. Seems like the sport just fits in so well with certain Japanese sensibilities—“wabi sabi”, ephemeral beauty of nature, etc.

> >

> > How did golf in Japan compare to the US? Any highlights? :)

> >

> >

>

> Im going to derail the thread so I will message you directly lol! Long story!

This topic has been beaten to death.......I'm sure most of us would like to hear your experience.

> @JDMRN81 said:

> > @Exactice808 said:

> > > @revanant said:

> > > > @Exactice808 said:

> > > > > @xyckin said:

> > > > > Just needed some feedback before I go into "extensive" testing. Started golf with a set of 2017 M2 irons, moved to Titleist 716 AP1s and now I'm currently a 12ish handicap playing JPX900 Forged with C-Taper 130X and I also have another set of MP18 MB (7-PW) MMC (5-6) MMC FliHi (4) which I picked up for a mad steal. I've dabbled with the MP18 set once in a while and found it to be much nicer feeling on the range but never took it out to the course. I've also never really figured out the gapping for the MP18 set. As for the JPX900F set, I hit my 7i about 180 carry with a decently soft landing, 115-120 mph driver. I'd say my weak link is shots around the green, full shots are decent. My main issues with irons would be low strikes from being too handsy in my swing which causes me to pull the club up and thin the ball. Aside from that, my iron shots are fairly straight with a slight draw. Cured my snap hook miss by shallowing my swing and using the +4 grips. Divots with my JPX900F are fairly deep I'd say.

> > > > >

> > > > > So the main question here is, what are the real downsides of moving to my MP18s? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

> > > >

> > > > Late to the party but just wanted to put my thoughts.

> > > >

> > > > 1) I have my normal Gamer set PW-6iron Cobra Amp Cell pros. Playing now about 2+ years now.

> > > > 2) Back up Set was AP2's PW-3i

> > > > 3) Prior to those was Nike 03 forged blades just because

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Ok so I played MB's to have some relevant opinions? Im a mid cap I would say about a 12 ish as well..... been down further when I practiced a lot (7ish) , went through a major swing revamp recently and this is what I found. Technique and course management for a mid capper out weighs the MB vs GI/SGI for me (know my technique is getting better, but I also make hero shots and ego shots when I shouldnt). As we get to single digits, consistency and course management is even more important.

> > > >

> > > > I just got back from Japan and played with my father in laws old Mizuno MS3 pro set. PW-6iron. (Traditional lofts so more like AW-7iron) I had 11 clubs total and shot an 83 with random clubs not fit to me on a relatively short course with a triple due to a bone head error, (hit a drive OB when I should have hit an iron off the tee.)

> > > >

> > > > Why does this matter. My swing was not optimal in japan went to the range twice before the round to work out the clubs..... went to the course with a little bit of confidence, but played smart, didnt focus on the number on the club, but the actual lofts to distance and played smart golf.

> > > >

> > > > I shoot the same score I did in Japan on an unknown course, with old blades that give UN REAL feedback if not hit well. The feel difference between my Cobra's and these Mizunos is like cotton and concrete seriously. But the results were similar if had a 130y approach and struck my cobra PW well it would be near the pin, the Mizuno's I would just use the 9iron. simple.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Now to your question pro's vs cons. I am SURE Professional golfers weigh the odds.

> > > >

> > > > Lets agree that MB's vs GI/SGI have intrinsic differences.

> > > >

> > > > MB's launch lower loft for loft, spin more loft for loft.

> > > >

> > > > CG placement is different so side spin access applied is different. (inherently more workable strike to strike values)

> > > >

> > > > If making solid contact is not a major factor, and the intrinsic value from one club head is worth giving up another facet then you play to your strengths.

> > > >

> > > > Currently for me as a 12, I personally feel that my ball striking is NOT bad enough to lose a determinable amount of strokes switching from GI's (My AP2's) to playing with my MB's (Cobra's) While I have setup both clubs to have similar gappings, the swing weights length lies and lofts are all the same, the only real difference is the AP2's go a little higher and just about 3 yards larger per club, but outside of that, NO determinable score difference. A bad shot is a bad shot, a good shot is a good shot, I score relatively the same with either my misses are face control issues so left and right rather then distance loss, so the major negative effect of an MB misshit does not punish me too much.

> > > >

> > > > THIS is also likely the reason why I could score the same with the old Mizuno MS3s

> > > >

> > > > So YES look at your game..... look at the pro's vs con's in your abilities will the move create a determinable difference in your score. I found non at this time so I am "CHOOSING" to play what I like and that be an MB. If I found my abilities are lacking or the GI''s can provide MORE I would switch but for now, there really is nothing major or life changing for me.

> > > >

> > > > GL OP have fun! crazy road you will venture on but fun!

> > >

> > > I would love the chance to play golf in Japan. Seems like the sport just fits in so well with certain Japanese sensibilities—“wabi sabi”, ephemeral beauty of nature, etc.

> > >

> > > How did golf in Japan compare to the US? Any highlights? :)

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Im going to derail the thread so I will message you directly lol! Long story!

>

> This topic has been beaten to death.......I'm sure most of us would like to hear your experience.

>

>

OKIE DOKIE AHAHAH if its ok I will re post what I sent to Revanant

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @JDMRN81 said:

> > > @Exactice808 said:

> > > > @revanant said:

> > > > > @Exactice808 said:

> > > > > > @xyckin said:

> > > > > > Just needed some feedback before I go into "extensive" testing. Started golf with a set of 2017 M2 irons, moved to Titleist 716 AP1s and now I'm currently a 12ish handicap playing JPX900 Forged with C-Taper 130X and I also have another set of MP18 MB (7-PW) MMC (5-6) MMC FliHi (4) which I picked up for a mad steal. I've dabbled with the MP18 set once in a while and found it to be much nicer feeling on the range but never took it out to the course. I've also never really figured out the gapping for the MP18 set. As for the JPX900F set, I hit my 7i about 180 carry with a decently soft landing, 115-120 mph driver. I'd say my weak link is shots around the green, full shots are decent. My main issues with irons would be low strikes from being too handsy in my swing which causes me to pull the club up and thin the ball. Aside from that, my iron shots are fairly straight with a slight draw. Cured my snap hook miss by shallowing my swing and using the +4 grips. Divots with my JPX900F are fairly deep I'd say.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So the main question here is, what are the real downsides of moving to my MP18s? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

> > > > >

> > > > > Late to the party but just wanted to put my thoughts.

> > > > >

> > > > > 1) I have my normal Gamer set PW-6iron Cobra Amp Cell pros. Playing now about 2+ years now.

> > > > > 2) Back up Set was AP2's PW-3i

> > > > > 3) Prior to those was Nike 03 forged blades just because

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Ok so I played MB's to have some relevant opinions? Im a mid cap I would say about a 12 ish as well..... been down further when I practiced a lot (7ish) , went through a major swing revamp recently and this is what I found. Technique and course management for a mid capper out weighs the MB vs GI/SGI for me (know my technique is getting better, but I also make hero shots and ego shots when I shouldnt). As we get to single digits, consistency and course management is even more important.

> > > > >

> > > > > I just got back from Japan and played with my father in laws old Mizuno MS3 pro set. PW-6iron. (Traditional lofts so more like AW-7iron) I had 11 clubs total and shot an 83 with random clubs not fit to me on a relatively short course with a triple due to a bone head error, (hit a drive OB when I should have hit an iron off the tee.)

> > > > >

> > > > > Why does this matter. My swing was not optimal in japan went to the range twice before the round to work out the clubs..... went to the course with a little bit of confidence, but played smart, didnt focus on the number on the club, but the actual lofts to distance and played smart golf.

> > > > >

> > > > > I shoot the same score I did in Japan on an unknown course, with old blades that give UN REAL feedback if not hit well. The feel difference between my Cobra's and these Mizunos is like cotton and concrete seriously. But the results were similar if had a 130y approach and struck my cobra PW well it would be near the pin, the Mizuno's I would just use the 9iron. simple.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Now to your question pro's vs cons. I am SURE Professional golfers weigh the odds.

> > > > >

> > > > > Lets agree that MB's vs GI/SGI have intrinsic differences.

> > > > >

> > > > > MB's launch lower loft for loft, spin more loft for loft.

> > > > >

> > > > > CG placement is different so side spin access applied is different. (inherently more workable strike to strike values)

> > > > >

> > > > > If making solid contact is not a major factor, and the intrinsic value from one club head is worth giving up another facet then you play to your strengths.

> > > > >

> > > > > Currently for me as a 12, I personally feel that my ball striking is NOT bad enough to lose a determinable amount of strokes switching from GI's (My AP2's) to playing with my MB's (Cobra's) While I have setup both clubs to have similar gappings, the swing weights length lies and lofts are all the same, the only real difference is the AP2's go a little higher and just about 3 yards larger per club, but outside of that, NO determinable score difference. A bad shot is a bad shot, a good shot is a good shot, I score relatively the same with either my misses are face control issues so left and right rather then distance loss, so the major negative effect of an MB misshit does not punish me too much.

> > > > >

> > > > > THIS is also likely the reason why I could score the same with the old Mizuno MS3s

> > > > >

> > > > > So YES look at your game..... look at the pro's vs con's in your abilities will the move create a determinable difference in your score. I found non at this time so I am "CHOOSING" to play what I like and that be an MB. If I found my abilities are lacking or the GI''s can provide MORE I would switch but for now, there really is nothing major or life changing for me.

> > > > >

> > > > > GL OP have fun! crazy road you will venture on but fun!

> > > >

> > > > I would love the chance to play golf in Japan. Seems like the sport just fits in so well with certain Japanese sensibilities—“wabi sabi”, ephemeral beauty of nature, etc.

> > > >

> > > > How did golf in Japan compare to the US? Any highlights? :)

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Im going to derail the thread so I will message you directly lol! Long story!

> >

> > This topic has been beaten to death.......I'm sure most of us would like to hear your experience.

> >

> >

>

> OKIE DOKIE AHAHAH if its ok I will re post what I sent to Revanant

Yes please haha

This thread is over "play what you want to play"

> @balls_deep said:

@JDMRN81 said:

@revanant said:

Here is what I sent to Rev

"_Bottom Line Japan Golf is VERY different from American golf.

1) Me Shooting 83 in Japan is like a scratch golfer in America no joke. Most normal Japanese are shooting in the 90-100's BY pure number averages. (Not say they lack TOP level golfers the averages are what I am talking, my uncle's that played ( 6 some this year and 8 some last year, all shot 100-120 while I shot 83 and 82 respectably both rounds)

2) You know the famous numbers right 5% of all golfers break 80, that means 95% of all golfers are shooting 80's or higher, Do the math if there is 1 billion golfers world wide, Thats 950,000,000 golfers cant break 80....

3) That means 95% of golfers in Japan cant break 80, 95% of American's cant break 80.

Next is culture..... Japanese culture is not 18 holes, normally, its 9 holes, 3-4holes, Then a bar, drink and then the remaining front 9. You stop for lunch (1-2hours stop) more drinks, then you play your last 9 holes with a bar in the middle again. The 18 holes are done you then go to the "Onsen" to bathe/sauna/spa and then drink. Normal golf Japanese style can be 13+ hours 2-4 hours per 9, 2 hour lunch break, 2 hour after round and then depending on where you golf the travel time can be 1-3 hours each direction.

4) Cost, Average cost is $120+, I played at a course that was $80 & $ 200. for me. Back home my average cost is about $50. Then add in drinks (2X on course, Dinner and drinks after) and such a round of golf in Japan can push $400 a round

5) Quality of Play...... Lot of them in Japan are not good, I mean in all fairness locally where I am they dont look that much better but it does seem that the Japanese player as the masses are not that good. Granted though I was in the country side, I am assuming in the city side (Tokyo) it could be different. More better players but the guys in front were not that good, nor the people in back, last year when I played I shot 43 front and 39 back with a birdie barrage on the back since it was SO packed I had a gallery on a couple par 3's ( Tees were 3 deep, 9hours to play 18) They were stunned watching me play. (Ego chest thumping for sure LOL!!!)

6) COURSE rules... this one is a little shocking. due to pace of play and abilities in Japan. OB does not MEAN re-tee and HIT again, It means you go directly to the OB drop zone and you are playing 4, (laying 3, hitting 4) With that the OB drop zones are pretty generous, BUT based on your ability at best you can make Bogey but does not always turn out, like I prior mention I had a short 275 dog leg left Par4, which I was not intending to drive the green but hit it pass the 200y flag in the middle of kick and have a short chip, I could have taken the 4iron I had and hit it at the flag but I was feeling confident about my driver. I hit a straight shot instead of going left of the flag and it went straight OB. I am now laying 100 yards (generous drop zone) and hit a shot long 5 back on the green, 2 putt for 7. So dumb Triple on a short par 4 when I could have hit the 4 iron and make easy par and possible birdie.

6a) Course, length on the card says 6600y from the whites ( But felt like it played 5900) The par 4's (350y avg) and par 3's (135y avg) are really short the Par 5 (550y avg) were really long ( all 3 shots not possible to reach in 2) so its misleading. I used the driver 3 times that day meaning 11 times I used an iron (excluding par 3 as a given) Also that day was RIDICULOUSLY humid (Typhoon was passing) so humidity was up and the ball was going a little further than normal. The course is in immaculate conditions as you CANT drive on the fairways. the carts are on a magnetic tram that follows the cart path with per determined stop or you have to push to go push to stop. the Sponsor also carries a remote that moves the cart along so if you hit across the fairway you gotta grab a bunch of clubs and walk. sometimes its faster to just carry as much clubs to include approach shot, wedges just in case and putter and then walk it to the green (which I prefer anyways) Greens rolled about an 8 stimp which is slow for me I usually play on 9-10 and about ever quarter some 11-13 greens (Waialae was 13 the month before and after the sony when I got to play)

7) Fun Absolutely, Worth it absolutely, once a year... Not sure I would want to do it monthly or weekly though and that is possibly why the quality of play is different. I play weekly back home and try to practice when I can. In japan they may play monthly at MOST my uncles play once or twice a year. Thats including when I come...... So just different expectations

Side notes.

1) In the country side. Clubs are CHEAP!!!!!... They have about 4 Golf stores in a 30 minute radius of my inlaws place and 2 driving ranges as well.

2) I heard the city side the clubs are more expensive, but they also have more stores and driving ranges/simulators

I could easily fall in the trap to keep buying clubs and practicing as it was all within close proximity....yikes!!

3) 2 caveats that may not matter, , Exchange rate USD vs Yen is about 7% 107 yen per $1. so thats a 7% savings, BUT their tax is 8% and just changed to 10% 10/01/2019 so pre 2019 when I bought my clubs I was getting savings when the yen was 110/$1 3% right off the top So not bad deal plus Second just overall cost for clubs were WAY cheaper, Awesome_."

These are just my personal thoughts from me experience your experience may vary LOL..... and I am critical of my in-laws yes HAAH but I am Japanese too I just managed to marry a Japanese born women being a 3rd Generation born in Hawaii HAHA!

• Like 2

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @balls_deep said:

>

> @JDMRN81 said:

> @revanant said:

>

>

>

>

> Here is what I sent to Rev

>

> "_Bottom Line Japan Golf is VERY different from American golf.

>

> 1) Me Shooting 83 in Japan is like a scratch golfer in America no joke. Most normal Japanese are shooting in the 90-100's BY pure number averages. (Not say they lack TOP level golfers the averages are what I am talking, my uncle's that played ( 6 some this year and 8 some last year, all shot 100-120 while I shot 83 and 82 respectably both rounds)

> 2) You know the famous numbers right 5% of all golfers break 80, that means 95% of all golfers are shooting 80's or higher, Do the math if there is 1 billion golfers world wide, Thats 950,000,000 golfers cant break 80....

> 3) That means 95% of golfers in Japan cant break 80, 95% of American's cant break 80.

>

> Next is culture..... Japanese culture is not 18 holes, normally, its 9 holes, 3-4holes, Then a bar, drink and then the remaining front 9. You stop for lunch (1-2hours stop) more drinks, then you play your last 9 holes with a bar in the middle again. The 18 holes are done you then go to the "Onsen" to bathe/sauna/spa and then drink. Normal golf Japanese style can be 13+ hours 2-4 hours per 9, 2 hour lunch break, 2 hour after round and then depending on where you golf the travel time can be 1-3 hours each direction.

>

> 4) Cost, Average cost is $120+, I played at a course that was $80 & $ 200. for me. Back home my average cost is about $50. Then add in drinks (2X on course, Dinner and drinks after) and such a round of golf in Japan can push $400 a round

>

> 5) Quality of Play...... Lot of them in Japan are not good, I mean in all fairness locally where I am they dont look that much better but it does seem that the Japanese player as the masses are not that good. Granted though I was in the country side, I am assuming in the city side (Tokyo) it could be different. More better players but the guys in front were not that good, nor the people in back, last year when I played I shot 43 front and 39 back with a birdie barrage on the back since it was SO packed I had a gallery on a couple par 3's ( Tees were 3 deep, 9hours to play 18) They were stunned watching me play. (Ego chest thumping for sure LOL!!!)

>

> 6) COURSE rules... this one is a little shocking. due to pace of play and abilities in Japan. OB does not MEAN re-tee and HIT again, It means you go directly to the OB drop zone and you are playing 4, (laying 3, hitting 4) With that the OB drop zones are pretty generous, BUT based on your ability at best you can make Bogey but does not always turn out, like I prior mention I had a short 275 dog leg left Par4, which I was not intending to drive the green but hit it pass the 200y flag in the middle of kick and have a short chip, I could have taken the 4iron I had and hit it at the flag but I was feeling confident about my driver. I hit a straight shot instead of going left of the flag and it went straight OB. I am now laying 100 yards (generous drop zone) and hit a shot long 5 back on the green, 2 putt for 7. So dumb Triple on a short par 4 when I could have hit the 4 iron and make easy par and possible birdie.

>

> 6a) Course, length on the card says 6600y from the whites ( But felt like it played 5900) The par 4's (350y avg) and par 3's (135y avg) are really short the Par 5 (550y avg) were really long ( all 3 shots not possible to reach in 2) so its misleading. I used the driver 3 times that day meaning 11 times I used an iron (excluding par 3 as a given) Also that day was RIDICULOUSLY humid (Typhoon was passing) so humidity was up and the ball was going a little further than normal. The course is in immaculate conditions as you CANT drive on the fairways. the carts are on a magnetic tram that follows the cart path with per determined stop or you have to push to go push to stop. the Sponsor also carries a remote that moves the cart along so if you hit across the fairway you gotta grab a bunch of clubs and walk. sometimes its faster to just carry as much clubs to include approach shot, wedges just in case and putter and then walk it to the green (which I prefer anyways) Greens rolled about an 8 stimp which is slow for me I usually play on 9-10 and about ever quarter some 11-13 greens (Waialae was 13 the month before and after the sony when I got to play)

>

> 7) Fun Absolutely, Worth it absolutely, once a year... Not sure I would want to do it monthly or weekly though and that is possibly why the quality of play is different. I play weekly back home and try to practice when I can. In japan they may play monthly at MOST my uncles play once or twice a year. Thats including when I come...... So just different expectations

>

> Side notes.

>

> 1) In the country side. Clubs are CHEAP!!!!!... They have about 4 Golf stores in a 30 minute radius of my inlaws place and 2 driving ranges as well.

> 2) I heard the city side the clubs are more expensive, but they also have more stores and driving ranges/simulators

>

> I could easily fall in the trap to keep buying clubs and practicing as it was all within close proximity....yikes!!

>

> 3) 2 caveats that may not matter, , Exchange rate USD vs Yen is about 7% 107 yen per $1. so thats a 7% savings, BUT their tax is 8% and just changed to 10% 10/01/2019 so pre 2019 when I bought my clubs I was getting savings when the yen was 110/$1 3% right off the top So not bad deal plus Second just overall cost for clubs were WAY cheaper, Awesome_."

>

>

> These are just my personal thoughts from me experience your experience may vary LOL..... and I am critical of my in-laws yes HAAH but I am Japanese too I just managed to marry a Japanese born women being a 3rd Generation born in Hawaii HAHA!

>

>

Wow thanks for sharing! Thats very interesting for sure. Seems like the time it takes them to play a round and the cost definitely correlate to the monthly play vice weekly for some of us. I like playing in other countries. Definitely gives you a different perspective on how different cultures enjoy the game.

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @balls_deep said:

>

> @JDMRN81 said:

> @revanant said:

>

>

>

>

> Here is what I sent to Rev

>

> "_Bottom Line Japan Golf is VERY different from American golf.

>

> 1) Me Shooting 83 in Japan is like a scratch golfer in America no joke. Most normal Japanese are shooting in the 90-100's BY pure number averages. (Not say they lack TOP level golfers the averages are what I am talking, my uncle's that played ( 6 some this year and 8 some last year, all shot 100-120 while I shot 83 and 82 respectably both rounds)

> 2) You know the famous numbers right 5% of all golfers break 80, that means 95% of all golfers are shooting 80's or higher, Do the math if there is 1 billion golfers world wide, Thats 950,000,000 golfers cant break 80....

> 3) That means 95% of golfers in Japan cant break 80, 95% of American's cant break 80.

>

> Next is culture..... Japanese culture is not 18 holes, normally, its 9 holes, 3-4holes, Then a bar, drink and then the remaining front 9. You stop for lunch (1-2hours stop) more drinks, then you play your last 9 holes with a bar in the middle again. The 18 holes are done you then go to the "Onsen" to bathe/sauna/spa and then drink. Normal golf Japanese style can be 13+ hours 2-4 hours per 9, 2 hour lunch break, 2 hour after round and then depending on where you golf the travel time can be 1-3 hours each direction.

>

> 4) Cost, Average cost is $120+, I played at a course that was $80 & $ 200. for me. Back home my average cost is about $50. Then add in drinks (2X on course, Dinner and drinks after) and such a round of golf in Japan can push $400 a round

>

> 5) Quality of Play...... Lot of them in Japan are not good, I mean in all fairness locally where I am they dont look that much better but it does seem that the Japanese player as the masses are not that good. Granted though I was in the country side, I am assuming in the city side (Tokyo) it could be different. More better players but the guys in front were not that good, nor the people in back, last year when I played I shot 43 front and 39 back with a birdie barrage on the back since it was SO packed I had a gallery on a couple par 3's ( Tees were 3 deep, 9hours to play 18) They were stunned watching me play. (Ego chest thumping for sure LOL!!!)

>

> 6) COURSE rules... this one is a little shocking. due to pace of play and abilities in Japan. OB does not MEAN re-tee and HIT again, It means you go directly to the OB drop zone and you are playing 4, (laying 3, hitting 4) With that the OB drop zones are pretty generous, BUT based on your ability at best you can make Bogey but does not always turn out, like I prior mention I had a short 275 dog leg left Par4, which I was not intending to drive the green but hit it pass the 200y flag in the middle of kick and have a short chip, I could have taken the 4iron I had and hit it at the flag but I was feeling confident about my driver. I hit a straight shot instead of going left of the flag and it went straight OB. I am now laying 100 yards (generous drop zone) and hit a shot long 5 back on the green, 2 putt for 7. So dumb Triple on a short par 4 when I could have hit the 4 iron and make easy par and possible birdie.

>

> 6a) Course, length on the card says 6600y from the whites ( But felt like it played 5900) The par 4's (350y avg) and par 3's (135y avg) are really short the Par 5 (550y avg) were really long ( all 3 shots not possible to reach in 2) so its misleading. I used the driver 3 times that day meaning 11 times I used an iron (excluding par 3 as a given) Also that day was RIDICULOUSLY humid (Typhoon was passing) so humidity was up and the ball was going a little further than normal. The course is in immaculate conditions as you CANT drive on the fairways. the carts are on a magnetic tram that follows the cart path with per determined stop or you have to push to go push to stop. the Sponsor also carries a remote that moves the cart along so if you hit across the fairway you gotta grab a bunch of clubs and walk. sometimes its faster to just carry as much clubs to include approach shot, wedges just in case and putter and then walk it to the green (which I prefer anyways) Greens rolled about an 8 stimp which is slow for me I usually play on 9-10 and about ever quarter some 11-13 greens (Waialae was 13 the month before and after the sony when I got to play)

>

> 7) Fun Absolutely, Worth it absolutely, once a year... Not sure I would want to do it monthly or weekly though and that is possibly why the quality of play is different. I play weekly back home and try to practice when I can. In japan they may play monthly at MOST my uncles play once or twice a year. Thats including when I come...... So just different expectations

>

> Side notes.

>

> 1) In the country side. Clubs are CHEAP!!!!!... They have about 4 Golf stores in a 30 minute radius of my inlaws place and 2 driving ranges as well.

> 2) I heard the city side the clubs are more expensive, but they also have more stores and driving ranges/simulators

>

> I could easily fall in the trap to keep buying clubs and practicing as it was all within close proximity....yikes!!

>

> 3) 2 caveats that may not matter, , Exchange rate USD vs Yen is about 7% 107 yen per $1. so thats a 7% savings, BUT their tax is 8% and just changed to 10% 10/01/2019 so pre 2019 when I bought my clubs I was getting savings when the yen was 110/$1 3% right off the top So not bad deal plus Second just overall cost for clubs were WAY cheaper, Awesome_."

>

>

> These are just my personal thoughts from me experience your experience may vary LOL..... and I am critical of my in-laws yes HAAH but I am Japanese too I just managed to marry a Japanese born women being a 3rd Generation born in Hawaii HAHA!

>

>

Wow! That blew me away. Great read ?

My experience with PING ie1 versus the S56 is this: Pure shots feel and sound a little better on with the S56 irons. Slight misses do not travel offline more with the S56 irons but drop off more in distance than the ie1. So for me the small or medium miss is not in a left or right miss, just come up short. Not horrible as most of the time you live for another day with that miss - That same slight miss with the ie1 might only fall off 3-5 yards versus 8-10 with the S56. I like both of them very much though!!

> @jak77 said:

> Wow thanks for sharing! Thats very interesting for sure. Seems like the time it takes them to play a round and the cost definitely correlate to the monthly play vice weekly for some of us. I like playing in other countries. Definitely gives you a different perspective on how different cultures enjoy the game.

Thanks I feel bad about the derail but it sound like more wanted to hear about it than blades LOL!

Yups I did find it quite amazing, BUT I will admit again I was out in the country. I am sure the bigger Cities like Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto would likely have a greater abundance of play (And quality of play). The Business men etc as my Uncles are more country farmers type people so golf is surely a luxury fun, rather than some of us that are actually in the business for entertaining.

I know for me 80% of the reason I actually play is business. But surely the golf again itself in Japan is unique, with the 9 holes and the drinking. I drink at home but I drink through the round. Imagine, pounding a beer before a tee off LOL the buzz kicks in about your approach shot or your wedge shot after the tee off LOL!!!!!

Same with your Start of your back 9 after being inside for an hour or two drinking a beer or 2.

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @jak77 said:

>

> > Wow thanks for sharing! Thats very interesting for sure. Seems like the time it takes them to play a round and the cost definitely correlate to the monthly play vice weekly for some of us. I like playing in other countries. Definitely gives you a different perspective on how different cultures enjoy the game.

>

> Thanks I feel bad about the derail but it sound like more wanted to hear about it than blades LOL!

>

> Yups I did find it quite amazing, BUT I will admit again I was out in the country. I am sure the bigger Cities like Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto would likely have a greater abundance of play (And quality of play). The Business men etc as my Uncles are more country farmers type people so golf is surely a luxury fun, rather than some of us that are actually in the business for entertaining.

>

> I know for me 80% of the reason I actually play is business. But surely the golf again itself in Japan is unique, with the 9 holes and the drinking. I drink at home but I drink through the round. Imagine, pounding a beer before a tee off LOL the buzz kicks in about your approach shot or your wedge shot after the tee off LOL!!!!!

>

> Same with your Start of your back 9 after being inside for an hour or two drinking a beer or 2.

Yeah they definitely party more than I do on the course! I would never finish that way hahaha