Blades for mid-high handicapper?

KhooBot

> @mahonie said:

> > @Red4282 said:

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > @KMeloney said:

> > > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > > That said, practicing with a demanding thin soled blade can be beneficial in developing good swing mechanics for the multiple reasons I've stated in my previous post above. Ya just cant fake it with a blade, whereas most variations of modern GI clubs are designed to cover your a$$ and mask swing flaws.

> > > >

> > > > So, WHY would someone bother doing this? Why would you practice with something "more demanding" only to go and play with clubs with different characteristics? How will you know how the swings with the demanding clubs will translate when you're playing with clubs with different characteristics?

> > > >

> > > > This isn't like training with a parachute on so that you run faster when you're not wearing it. This is about trying to know exactly what shot you'll hit when you intend to hit it. Using different clubs for practice and play makes no sense.

> > > >

> > > > Has anyone EVER walked off the course saying, "Sure, he beat me pretty good -- but I was playing with blades, and he wasn't, so..."?

> > >

> > > Completely illogical. It's almost exactly like a runner training with a parachute.

> > >

> > > I've explained how and why practicing with a blade can help one to improve actual swing mechanics. Once grooved in practice, those improvements carry over, no matter the type of club used.

> > >

> > > That's not to say you dont also practice with the clubs you intend to put into play.

> >

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > > > > @chisag

> > > > > > > > Thats the beauty of golf man, theres so many different ways to play it and get better. So many different swing method theories, none are absolute in being the best. If playing blades has proven to improve ball striking on quite a few players, then there is something real there. Is it for everyone? No, of course not. Are we suggesting every amateur learning the game do this? Of course not. But it is something that may work.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > There’s a lot of different swings that can result in the same impact for sure. When someone is a double digit HC no one is gonna believe they’re a good ball striker and just suck at everything else. It’s ridiculous. There is absolutely no benefit to playing an MB if you don’t pound that pea size sweet spot like it’s almost an afterthought. As soon as someone starts talking about a miss or they focus more or “it just works for me” you know they’re just blowing smoke.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > First of all i never implied someone game blades. Im saying you can have a range session with a blade and it CAN help you find that so called pea size spot. cant speak for a double digit handicap, but im scratch and i can tell you it works for me. You can think im blowin smoke and that fine. I have my theory and you can have yours. I think some of yall need to rewind back 30-40 years and hit those blades. People like me learned to play on those clubs. The modern blade is so much easier to hit its not even funny. Training like this is done all over the sports world. Ever hear of the baseball players hitting with sticks? Same thing. It just raises your awareness and hand eye coordination. But no baseball player is batting in a game with a stick.

> > > > >

> > > > > You’re a scratch golfer so I wouldn’t think it pertains to you but your story still has holes. If you’re a scratch golfer why do you need an MB as a training aid when you’re gonna find the center of the face a good bit regardless of what you use. You can keep throwing useless analogies in as well but I guarantee most mid handicaps aren’t gonna improve ball striking just by using an MB to practice with. If that were the case there wouldn’t be so many mid cap MB users on here trying to defend their absurd reasoning on a daily basis. I mean I assume they practice and have been playing for awhile but they’re still mid caps. Maybe they need an extra teeny tiny baby blade to practice with.

> > > >

> > > > Ok, well for example i was gaming srixon 765s for past year, id say most would call those players cavities. I didnt have any issues with striking them or so i thought, but was hitting the ball a little too high. Picked up a set of mizzy 900t and instantly felt the slight toe strike, put some face tape down and confirmed this. I guarantee i was striking the 765s toe side for a while but it just wasnt that harsh , and results were still pretty good, so i didnt really blink twice. After a range session or two with the new irons im re finding center again. I cant speak for others on here, only myself. I would say ball striking isnt a total indication of score like u say. Heck ive been toeing iron shots for months apparently and still shooting near par. I know several very good strikers that are about a 10 cap solely because of short game as well.

> > >

> > > So for a year you never looked at your club to see where you was striking it on the face. Lol ok. Maybe I’m the only one that does it on almost every shot that comes of perfect or otherwise. If you know several good ball strikers that are good because of their short game maybe they aren’t that good of ball strikers.

> >

> > No no, they are 10 caps because their short game isnt great. Did i look at my faces? Eh i mean sometimes... but there wasnt always a mark. why would u look at your face after a flush shot? That really makes no sense to me anyways. Maybe it has something to do with where i play, but my ball hardly ever leaves a strike mark on my club.

>

> The only reason to look at the face after a shot is because you have no idea where on the face contact was made.

Lol. More bs.

> @lenman73 said:

> Wow. Looks like tiger doesn't hit his blade towards the heal. What a hack !!

>

>

>

> [](https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/editor/jv/ic5tut9phcwq.jpg "")ts4sfbwtkcyb.jpg

>

>

I believe he was referring to the relative length of a blade to a GI. The sweet spot on a blade would be closer to the heel relative to where it would be on a GI simply because that is where the middle of the face is.

> @mahonie said:

> > @chippa13 said:

> > I took the closest to the pin prize with my shovels over the weekend. If only I had a blade in my hand, would have been a hole in one. **** my terrible distance control and proximity Rocketbladez irons.

>

> Rocketbladez and distance control do not go in the same sentence, my friend:

>

> http://www.golfwrx.com/112242/taylormade-rocketbladez-tour-irons-editor-review/

I was on fire Saturday, putting several approaches within 10 feet. And that was with regular Rocketbladez, not the Tour model, so that review doesn't address the clubs I play. I wasn't kidding when I said "shovels". That said, the "flyers" that the reviewer suffered were "few and far between" with the Tour model.

> @chippa13 said:

> > @lenman73 said:

> > I have the regular rocketbladz and like them as well.

>

> I love mine. After a couple years I went to midsize grips and they are fantastic. So good that my brother tried them and this past year went out and bought his own set.

I got mine new this year for a song. While I haven't noticed any odd fliers, the distance these things go, they are fun.

> @chippa13 said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @chippa13 said:

> > > I took the closest to the pin prize with my shovels over the weekend. If only I had a blade in my hand, would have been a hole in one. **** my terrible distance control and proximity Rocketbladez irons.

> >

> > Rocketbladez and distance control do not go in the same sentence, my friend:

> >

> > http://www.golfwrx.com/112242/taylormade-rocketbladez-tour-irons-editor-review/

>

> I was on fire Saturday, putting several approaches within 10 feet. And that was with regular Rocketbladez, not the Tour model, so that review doesn't address the clubs I play. I wasn't kidding when I said "shovels". That said, the "flyers" that the reviewer suffered were "few and far between" with the Tour model.

Happy you had a good round and were hitting it close!

Didn’t take you for a hack so posted the article on the Tour version. The regular version has pretty much the same issue apparently:

http://www.golfwrx.com/59735/taylormade-rocketbladez-iron-non-tour-review/

To be honest, I can’t comment on their performance as I’ve never seen a set of either in the wild let alone hit one and I take anyone else’s reviews with a pinch of salt until I’ve hit them myself.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @chippa13 said:

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > > @chippa13 said:

> > > > I took the closest to the pin prize with my shovels over the weekend. If only I had a blade in my hand, would have been a hole in one. **** my terrible distance control and proximity Rocketbladez irons.

> > >

> > > Rocketbladez and distance control do not go in the same sentence, my friend:

> > >

> > > http://www.golfwrx.com/112242/taylormade-rocketbladez-tour-irons-editor-review/

> >

> > I was on fire Saturday, putting several approaches within 10 feet. And that was with regular Rocketbladez, not the Tour model, so that review doesn't address the clubs I play. I wasn't kidding when I said "shovels". That said, the "flyers" that the reviewer suffered were "few and far between" with the Tour model.

>

> Happy you had a good round and were hitting it close!

>

> Didn’t take you for a hack so posted the article on the Tour version. The regular version has pretty much the same issue apparently:

>

> http://www.golfwrx.com/59735/taylormade-rocketbladez-iron-non-tour-review/

>

> To be honest, I can’t comment on their performance as I’ve never seen a set of either in the wild let alone hit one and I take anyone else’s reviews with a pinch of salt until I’ve hit them myself.

I think taking loft off is fine for many golfers, for me however, it is not. Just picked up my 7-PW MBs. Excited to put them in play. Combo sets FTW.

• Like 1

> @balls_deep said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @chippa13 said:

> > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > @chippa13 said:

> > > > > I took the closest to the pin prize with my shovels over the weekend. If only I had a blade in my hand, would have been a hole in one. **** my terrible distance control and proximity Rocketbladez irons.

> > > >

> > > > Rocketbladez and distance control do not go in the same sentence, my friend:

> > > >

> > > > http://www.golfwrx.com/112242/taylormade-rocketbladez-tour-irons-editor-review/

> > >

> > > I was on fire Saturday, putting several approaches within 10 feet. And that was with regular Rocketbladez, not the Tour model, so that review doesn't address the clubs I play. I wasn't kidding when I said "shovels". That said, the "flyers" that the reviewer suffered were "few and far between" with the Tour model.

> >

> > Happy you had a good round and were hitting it close!

> >

> > Didn’t take you for a hack so posted the article on the Tour version. The regular version has pretty much the same issue apparently:

> >

> > http://www.golfwrx.com/59735/taylormade-rocketbladez-iron-non-tour-review/

> >

> > To be honest, I can’t comment on their performance as I’ve never seen a set of either in the wild let alone hit one and I take anyone else’s reviews with a pinch of salt until I’ve hit them myself.

>

> I think taking loft off is fine for many golfers, for me however, it is not. Just picked up my 7-PW MBs. Excited to put them in play. Combo sets FTW.

Played one of the original combo sets for over 9 years (Wilson Staff Progressives) 1996-2005...after going for a Ping Eye 2 fitting...go figure! Had some of my best rounds ever with those Staffs until I picked up the MP4s. Let us know how you get on.

Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > > @chippa13 said:

> > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > > @chippa13 said:

> > > > > > I took the closest to the pin prize with my shovels over the weekend. If only I had a blade in my hand, would have been a hole in one. **** my terrible distance control and proximity Rocketbladez irons.

> > > > >

> > > > > Rocketbladez and distance control do not go in the same sentence, my friend:

> > > > >

> > > > > http://www.golfwrx.com/112242/taylormade-rocketbladez-tour-irons-editor-review/

> > > >

> > > > I was on fire Saturday, putting several approaches within 10 feet. And that was with regular Rocketbladez, not the Tour model, so that review doesn't address the clubs I play. I wasn't kidding when I said "shovels". That said, the "flyers" that the reviewer suffered were "few and far between" with the Tour model.

> > >

> > > Happy you had a good round and were hitting it close!

> > >

> > > Didn’t take you for a hack so posted the article on the Tour version. The regular version has pretty much the same issue apparently:

> > >

> > > http://www.golfwrx.com/59735/taylormade-rocketbladez-iron-non-tour-review/

> > >

> > > To be honest, I can’t comment on their performance as I’ve never seen a set of either in the wild let alone hit one and I take anyone else’s reviews with a pinch of salt until I’ve hit them myself.

> >

> > I think taking loft off is fine for many golfers, for me however, it is not. Just picked up my 7-PW MBs. Excited to put them in play. Combo sets FTW.

>

> Played one of the original combo sets for over 9 years (Wilson Staff Progressives) 1996-2005...after going for a Ping Eye 2 fitting...go figure! Had some of my best rounds ever with those Staffs until I picked up the MP4s. Let us know how you get on.

Absolutely will. You can't argue with the look.. slightly less offset and thinner topline. I'll definitely be gaming the 8-PW just going to decide whether the 7 is going to be CB or MB.

> @mahonie said:

> > @chippa13 said:

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > > @chippa13 said:

> > > > I took the closest to the pin prize with my shovels over the weekend. If only I had a blade in my hand, would have been a hole in one. **** my terrible distance control and proximity Rocketbladez irons.

> > >

> > > Rocketbladez and distance control do not go in the same sentence, my friend:

> > >

> > > http://www.golfwrx.com/112242/taylormade-rocketbladez-tour-irons-editor-review/

> >

> > I was on fire Saturday, putting several approaches within 10 feet. And that was with regular Rocketbladez, not the Tour model, so that review doesn't address the clubs I play. I wasn't kidding when I said "shovels". That said, the "flyers" that the reviewer suffered were "few and far between" with the Tour model.

>

>

> Didn’t take you for a hack so posted the article on the Tour version. The regular version has pretty much the same issue apparently:

>

>

> To be honest, I can’t comment on their performance as I’ve never seen a set of either in the wild let alone hit one and I take anyone else’s reviews with a pinch of salt until I’ve hit them myself.

I owned the rocketbladez and found them to be one of the better feeling and performing cast GI clubs I've used. No fliers for me with them. Regret selling them kind of... but visually they are a bit more off putting then the 770s and I don't feel like building another set again.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > > > @chippa13 said:

> > > > > > > I took the closest to the pin prize with my shovels over the weekend. If only I had a blade in my hand, would have been a hole in one. **** my terrible distance control and proximity Rocketbladez irons.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Rocketbladez and distance control do not go in the same sentence, my friend:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > http://www.golfwrx.com/112242/taylormade-rocketbladez-tour-irons-editor-review/

> > > > >

> > > > > I was on fire Saturday, putting several approaches within 10 feet. And that was with regular Rocketbladez, not the Tour model, so that review doesn't address the clubs I play. I wasn't kidding when I said "shovels". That said, the "flyers" that the reviewer suffered were "few and far between" with the Tour model.

> > > >

> > > > Happy you had a good round and were hitting it close!

> > > >

> > > > Didn’t take you for a hack so posted the article on the Tour version. The regular version has pretty much the same issue apparently:

> > > >

> > > > http://www.golfwrx.com/59735/taylormade-rocketbladez-iron-non-tour-review/

> > > >

> > > > To be honest, I can’t comment on their performance as I’ve never seen a set of either in the wild let alone hit one and I take anyone else’s reviews with a pinch of salt until I’ve hit them myself.

> > >

> > > I think taking loft off is fine for many golfers, for me however, it is not. Just picked up my 7-PW MBs. Excited to put them in play. Combo sets FTW.

> >

> > Played one of the original combo sets for over 9 years (Wilson Staff Progressives) 1996-2005...after going for a Ping Eye 2 fitting...go figure! Had some of my best rounds ever with those Staffs until I picked up the MP4s. Let us know how you get on.

>

> Absolutely will. You can't argue with the look.. slightly less offset and thinner topline. I'll definitely be gaming the 8-PW just going to decide whether the 7 is going to be CB or MB.

FWIW the Progressives were CB 2-7 iron, MB 8-SW (you used to get 10 irons in a set back in the day!!).

Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > > @chippa13 said:

> > > > > > > @mahonie said:

> > > > > > > > @chippa13 said:

> > > > > > > > I took the closest to the pin prize with my shovels over the weekend. If only I had a blade in my hand, would have been a hole in one. **** my terrible distance control and proximity Rocketbladez irons.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Rocketbladez and distance control do not go in the same sentence, my friend:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > http://www.golfwrx.com/112242/taylormade-rocketbladez-tour-irons-editor-review/

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I was on fire Saturday, putting several approaches within 10 feet. And that was with regular Rocketbladez, not the Tour model, so that review doesn't address the clubs I play. I wasn't kidding when I said "shovels". That said, the "flyers" that the reviewer suffered were "few and far between" with the Tour model.

> > > > >

> > > > > Happy you had a good round and were hitting it close!

> > > > >

> > > > > Didn’t take you for a hack so posted the article on the Tour version. The regular version has pretty much the same issue apparently:

> > > > >

> > > > > http://www.golfwrx.com/59735/taylormade-rocketbladez-iron-non-tour-review/

> > > > >

> > > > > To be honest, I can’t comment on their performance as I’ve never seen a set of either in the wild let alone hit one and I take anyone else’s reviews with a pinch of salt until I’ve hit them myself.

> > > >

> > > > I think taking loft off is fine for many golfers, for me however, it is not. Just picked up my 7-PW MBs. Excited to put them in play. Combo sets FTW.

> > >

> > > Played one of the original combo sets for over 9 years (Wilson Staff Progressives) 1996-2005...after going for a Ping Eye 2 fitting...go figure! Had some of my best rounds ever with those Staffs until I picked up the MP4s. Let us know how you get on.

> >

> > Absolutely will. You can't argue with the look.. slightly less offset and thinner topline. I'll definitely be gaming the 8-PW just going to decide whether the 7 is going to be CB or MB.

>

> FWIW the Progressives were CB 2-7 iron, MB 8-SW (you used to get 10 irons in a set back in the day!!).

Now sets start at 5i that's really a 3i! Yes I think the "forgiveness" is a wash in the 8-PW anyways. The 7 is where the Tungsten kicks in and IMO the CB gets a forgiveness boost. Going to shaft it up separately so I can swap it in or out as I please.

> @mahonie said:

> > @chippa13 said:

> > > @mahonie said:

> > > > @chippa13 said:

> > >

> > >

> >

>

>

>

>

All I'm seeing in the reviews is that people weren't having the distance issues with the Rocketbladez that they did with the Burners.

> @farmer said:

> OT, but Mahonie must be an old guy to have seen 10 irons in a set.

I know you’re an older gentleman and you remember, but to clarify, PW and SW were part of the set back then...none of this £150 a wedge x 4 baloney that we apparently need these days...to add to the £200 per hybrid x 3 that fill the bottom of the bag!!

Radius Classic 8

**UPDATE**

So I took my MP18s out to the range today... aaaaannnnndddddd it was amazing! Turns out I'm not that bad an iron striker as I thought. I worked with foot spray to check on my impact and they were mostly centered, with some bad swings resulting in a slightly heely strike. I think the main thing about using blades this time was just the fact that I was aware I had to strike them well and Yes, I think I was concentrating a lot more than I usually do. Lost some distance but that's not an issue because that only helps that gap between my 9i, PW and other wedges.

Or, I was just having a good swing day. lol

• Like 1

> @chippa13 said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > > @chisag said:

> > > > @bodhi555 said:

> > > > > I said it was folly, and I stand by it. If you don't practice what you play then how can you take that session to the course?

> > > >

> > > > Quite easily - I would have thought you'd put the same swing on any 6 iron, be it a blade, CB, SGI or whatever.

> > >

> > >

> > > ... Obviously you are going to get different trajectories and different spin with different types of irons. This can and does effect your swing. Hitting the ball lower than normal, most will adjust their swing to get the trajectory they are used to seeing. When fitting Tour Pro's shaft OEMs never have them hit more than 2 to 3 shots before changing shafts if the results aren't what they are looking for, as Pro's will manipulate their swing to get the trajectory they desire.

> >

> > Funny, this post (above by @chisag ) 100% supports what I've been saying as to WHY practicing with a demanding MB blade can be beneficial.

> >

> > He's acknowledging that some players can and will alter their swings when a different club is placed in their hands. EXACTLY the same principle I've stated about blades.

> >

> > Further, the changes that an MB blade encourages to launch the ball effectively are all positive and fully transferable (with some awareness & intent) once you go back to your more forgiving clubs:

> > - precision of strike (acute awareness)

> > - delivery of square to path clubface

> > - forward shaft lean at impact

> > - sufficient shallowness of delivery

> > - ball compression

> > - sufficient speed required to launch and achieve expected distance

> > - ideal turf interaction/divot patterns

> >

> > MB blades require you do all of these things BETTER to achieve decent ball flights. With some knowledge and intent, a player can alter his swing for the better by using this magnified feedback

> >

> > Most GI clubs cover up flaws/mistakes that blades will not let you get away with. Heck, you guys are the ones arguing that they're more helpful for "scoring" on the course for the same reasons.

> >

> > Blades demand that you do MORE THINGS RIGHT in your swing to achieve sufficient results. Get to consistently flushing a blade, producing ideal ball flight and distance with some nice bacon strip divots and the swing modifications you've made to accomplish this are easily transferable back to your GI clubs. You'll get a boost in confidence to boot!

> >

> > Again, @chisag above points out that players can (and do) change the way they swing the club depending on the equipment placed in their hands. His own words support what I've been saying 100%.

> >

> >

>

> Sure, except you 'll be swinging a different shaft and head weight than what you play so then you'll spend 1/2 the round "subconciously re-adapting" to your gamer clubs.

I think that concern is overblown. Who ever suggested you shouldn't still warm up with the clubs you play? I certainly do...

BTW, most players have drivers, fairways, hybrids, irons and wedges with different shafts of different brands, models and weights, yet transition from one to the other without any deleterious effects.

Still, if one were to be really worried about it, it's a pretty inexpensive experiment to find an old MB blade 6 iron and gear it up with your preferred shaft at your preferred swingweight.

This is not really a complex issue to grasp. Practicing with a blade may not be for everyone, but it certainly isn't "folly" and can most certainly be beneficial to some. It's just another option in terms of a way to train and improve.

• Like 1

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @dpb5031 said:

> > @chisag said:

> > > @bodhi555 said:

> > > > @chippa13 said:

> > > > I said it was folly, and I stand by it. If you don't practice what you play then how can you take that session to the course?

> > >

> > > Quite easily - I would have thought you'd put the same swing on any 6 iron, be it a blade, CB, SGI or whatever.

> >

> >

> > ... Obviously you are going to get different trajectories and different spin with different types of irons. This can and does effect your swing. Hitting the ball lower than normal, most will adjust their swing to get the trajectory they are used to seeing. When fitting Tour Pro's shaft OEMs never have them hit more than 2 to 3 shots before changing shafts if the results aren't what they are looking for, as Pro's will manipulate their swing to get the trajectory they desire.

>

> Funny, this post (above by @chisag ) 100% supports what I've been saying as to WHY practicing with a demanding MB blade can be beneficial.

>

> He's acknowledging that some players can and will alter their swings when a different club is placed in their hands. EXACTLY the same principle I've stated about blades.

>

> Further, the changes that an MB blade encourages to launch the ball effectively are all positive and fully transferable (with some awareness & intent) once you go back to your more forgiving clubs:

> - precision of strike (acute awareness)

> - delivery of square to path clubface

> - forward shaft lean at impact

> - sufficient shallowness of delivery

> - ball compression

> - sufficient speed required to launch and achieve expected distance

> - ideal turf interaction/divot patterns

>

> MB blades require you do all of these things BETTER to achieve decent ball flights. With some knowledge and intent, a player can alter his swing for the better by using this magnified feedback

>

> Most GI clubs cover up flaws/mistakes that blades will not let you get away with. Heck, you guys are the ones arguing that they're more helpful for "scoring" on the course for the same reasons.

>

> Blades demand that you do MORE THINGS RIGHT in your swing to achieve sufficient results. Get to consistently flushing a blade, producing ideal ball flight and distance with some nice bacon strip divots and the swing modifications you've made to accomplish this are easily transferable back to your GI clubs. You'll get a boost in confidence to boot!

>

> Again, @chisag above points out that players can (and do) change the way they swing the club depending on the equipment placed in their hands. His own words support what I've been saying 100%.

>

>

I’ve seen this hold true for me, personally. I put blades in the bag in January, and found my swing rapidly improved. I attribute a lot of it to grooving a swing with an unforgiving iron, such that when i found a pattern of movement that led to a good ball strike, repeating that instilled good habits.

In other words, when you practice with an unforgiving iron and make a good strike, you’ve done a lot of things right. If you don’t have the benefit of an instructor looking over your shoulder, the iron itself winds up serving as a bit of a swing aid, because it won’t mask a bad strike and won’t inflate an ok strike.

> @xyckin said:

> **UPDATE**

> So I took my MP18s out to the range today... aaaaannnnndddddd it was amazing! Turns out I'm not that bad an iron striker as I thought. I worked with foot spray to check on my impact and they were mostly centered, with some bad swings resulting in a slightly heely strike. I think the main thing about using blades this time was just the fact that I was aware I had to strike them well and Yes, I think I was concentrating a lot more than I usually do. Lost some distance but that's not an issue because that only helps that gap between my 9i, PW and other wedges.

> Or, I was just having a good swing day. lol

Enjoy the new clubs.

I’ve personally found the same thing to be true for me, both in practice and on the course. It’s easy to have mental lapses in golf. Knowing that my irons don’t have a safety net isn’t as scary as it sounds, and I’ve found that it helps me relax and not overswing when standing over a ball, while also encouraging me to pay close attention to my setup.

In other words, you’re not alone. :)

• Like 1

I think I just wanted to clarify/be clearer in my objective in making the switch. I personally feel like I'm on this upward trend in developing my game and I wanted to make use of this period to improve my swing and ball striking before it becomes set in stone and becomes hard to change. To be very honest, 2 years ago when I started, I told myself I'd never have to go to X-Flex, never play blades. My only goal when I first took my swing was to pound that f**king driver but a lot has changed since then.

Tested 7i MB vs 7i CB today at the range. I'd happily play either but that was hitting middle just about every single time. I caught a couple low and slightly toe with the MB and the results were a good bit worse than the CB on that miss. Slightly more offline, less elevation, and shorter distance. On course that could mean the distance between water or safety on a par 3. That said 8-PW are in the combo for now. I'm going to shaft the 7i with the same as the rest and test thoroughly. I'd happily game either, but being that I swing 7i around or over 90 and hit middle most of the time I really don't see how slower players or those that are painting the face could ever use the MB effectively. The said, flighting shots was an absolute joy with it and I'm very excited to have them in the bag. I'll probably end up with a full bag of Apex MB some time soon. My friend has some Raws that are calling my name..

> @balls_deep said:

> Tested 7i MB vs 7i CB today at the range. I'd happily play either but that was hitting middle just about every single time. I caught a couple low and slightly toe with the MB and the results were a good bit worse than the CB on that miss. Slightly more offline, less elevation, and shorter distance. On course that could mean the distance between water or safety on a par 3. That said 8-PW are in the combo for now. I'm going to shaft the 7i with the same as the rest and test thoroughly. I'd happily game either, but being that I swing 7i around or over 90 and hit middle most of the time I really don't see how slower players or those that are painting the face could ever use the MB effectively. The said, flighting shots was an absolute joy with it and I'm very excited to have them in the bag. I'll probably end up with a full bag of Apex MB some time soon. My friend has some Raws that are calling my name..

I think you'll really like the Apex MBs.

As for slower swing speeds mixing with MBs, all I can say is that, personally, my swing speed is a constant input. If I swing my 716 CB or MP-4, it's the same basic ball flight and numbers. If I stick a more aggressively lofted iron in there, maybe I add 5 yards to 10 yards of distance. It's not going to drastically alter my distances based on my swing speed.

So, really, as long as I'm doing my job, I tend to get good results for my swing speed. i just choose my appropriate tees and go from there.

> @revanant said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > Tested 7i MB vs 7i CB today at the range. I'd happily play either but that was hitting middle just about every single time. I caught a couple low and slightly toe with the MB and the results were a good bit worse than the CB on that miss. Slightly more offline, less elevation, and shorter distance. On course that could mean the distance between water or safety on a par 3. That said 8-PW are in the combo for now. I'm going to shaft the 7i with the same as the rest and test thoroughly. I'd happily game either, but being that I swing 7i around or over 90 and hit middle most of the time I really don't see how slower players or those that are painting the face could ever use the MB effectively. The said, flighting shots was an absolute joy with it and I'm very excited to have them in the bag. I'll probably end up with a full bag of Apex MB some time soon. My friend has some Raws that are calling my name..

>

> I think you'll really like the Apex MBs.

>

> As for slower swing speeds mixing with MBs, all I can say is that, personally, my swing speed is a constant input. If I swing my 716 CB or MP-4, it's the same basic ball flight and numbers. If I stick a more aggressively lofted iron in there, maybe I add 5 yards to 10 yards of distance. It's not going to drastically alter my distances based on my swing speed.

>

> So, really, as long as I'm doing my job, I tend to get good results for my swing speed. i just choose my appropriate tees and go from there.

Sorry rev really not aimed at you. I just don’t see players getting the elevation needed and that could be why many LPGA players don’t use blades. Not sure. I can say in mid irons you are absolutely giving up forgiveness for increased ability to flight the ball. Feedback is also absolutely stellar with these - better than MP5. That’s probably because you could shave with the MB.

On another note, these MBs came with KBS CTL in them. A bit too light for me in the 110 stiff but man that is a nice shaft. I’d love to try the 115X. Buttery smooth and they did well into wind considering. Flight was a bit higher and with a bit more spin than I’d like to see but overall fantastic profile. Definitely like the LZ better but I’d love to try them in a fit.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @revanant said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > Tested 7i MB vs 7i CB today at the range. I'd happily play either but that was hitting middle just about every single time. I caught a couple low and slightly toe with the MB and the results were a good bit worse than the CB on that miss. Slightly more offline, less elevation, and shorter distance. On course that could mean the distance between water or safety on a par 3. That said 8-PW are in the combo for now. I'm going to shaft the 7i with the same as the rest and test thoroughly. I'd happily game either, but being that I swing 7i around or over 90 and hit middle most of the time I really don't see how slower players or those that are painting the face could ever use the MB effectively. The said, flighting shots was an absolute joy with it and I'm very excited to have them in the bag. I'll probably end up with a full bag of Apex MB some time soon. My friend has some Raws that are calling my name..

> >

> > I think you'll really like the Apex MBs.

> >

> > As for slower swing speeds mixing with MBs, all I can say is that, personally, my swing speed is a constant input. If I swing my 716 CB or MP-4, it's the same basic ball flight and numbers. If I stick a more aggressively lofted iron in there, maybe I add 5 yards to 10 yards of distance. It's not going to drastically alter my distances based on my swing speed.

> >

> > So, really, as long as I'm doing my job, I tend to get good results for my swing speed. i just choose my appropriate tees and go from there.

>

> Sorry rev really not aimed at you. I just don’t see players getting the elevation needed and that could be why many LPGA players don’t use blades. Not sure. I can say in mid irons you are absolutely giving up forgiveness for increased ability to flight the ball. Feedback is also absolutely stellar with these - better than MP5. That’s probably because you could shave with the MB.

>

> On another note, these MBs came with KBS CTL in them. A bit too light for me in the 110 stiff but man that is a nice shaft. I’d love to try the 115X. Buttery smooth and they did well into wind considering. Flight was a bit higher and with a bit more spin than I’d like to see but overall fantastic profile. Definitely like the LZ better but I’d love to try them in a fit.

I'd generally agree with this. I've rarely seen anyone that's not swinging well past 100 with the driver that hits the ball too high. Someone can play well with less speed / lower flight if the consistency is there. There's no hard and fast rule but I kind of feel like you need to be pretty close to carrying it 200 with a more traditional 5-iron (say 27 degrees) to get the optimal ball flight out of these MB iron designs.

I'm somewhat interested in trying a smaller clubhead, but the lack of offset and ball flight trajectory are two things that bother me.