2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

National/nonresident memberships

Hi everyone, I’m looking to join a club somewhere in the states as a national/nonresident member. I’m not too hung up on top 100 courses or rankings, just looking for a great course that is kept in great shape. Also looking for a club with overnight accommodations that I could take the family to. I’d like to keep initiation around $10-20k and yearly dues around $3k. I’m also 26 so if they have junior membership even better.

Some clubs I’m looking into already are Ballyneal, Prairie Dunes, Flint Hills National, Secession, Chechessee Creek.

Thanks for the help!

I can give you some feedback on Flint Hills. If you don't already know, national membership is $15k plus $2k annually, and it is for member only (no family). Not sure if you have wife or kids, but I'm sure they would accommodate for $$$. The cabins are nice and the food is good.

The course itself has kind of grown on me, I was pretty indifferent the first time I played it. Conditions are excellent as long as the tornadoes stay away. It is Fazio through and through so if you don't like his courses you won't like Flint. Personally I prefer Dallas National to Flint, but I think Dallas is going to cost you a lot more for a national membership.

The club itself is kind of old man cigar smoker in my opinion (which the local members seem to do every night in the grill). To be clear, I am not a member but there are a lot of members based here in KC so it's not hard to get down there.

Having said all that, you're better off going 60 miles down the road to Prairie Dunes.

The taking the family with comment is going to be a deciding factor. You didn't specify whether the family members are into golf or ok with sitting around and relaxing. If they're not golfers and you want something for them to stay occupied with that's going to drop a lot of options including Ballyneal. Granted the food is excellent, good internet and it's very peaceful, but you're hours from anything for the family to do besides relax, golf or shoot. There is a growing wait list with about a year or two wait right now, so if that was what you wanted, the option might not be readily available in the future. Your comment about "kept in great shape" could be another concern depending upon what you mean by that. Ballyneal is in great links shape, but if you're expecting lush green conditions, you'll be disappointed.

For a year round option where the family will have lots to keep them occupied, TPC San Antonio has two courses (one is reserved for members each day), runs a membership deal almost every year and the hotel is great with an awesome pool complex and the city can be a lot of fun, plus you'll get playing options at any private TPC courses near you and discounts on public/resort TPCs. It was $10k initiation and about $2k a year when I looked into it a few years ago. They also threw in discounts on hotel stays, thousands of dollars in credits etc.. so your initiation ended up being about $5k. If I had a private TPC near me I would have done it since the family loves that hotel.

> @CCTxGolf said:

> Check out the Dormie Network. Multiple option there with accommodations. If I had the coin and the time it would be a cool deal.

5m5d9mdg3a0j.png

Well within the target budget and has spectacular lodging options at VN, assume others as well. Convenient to many markets and ownership seems to understand their members FWIW.

• Like 1

> @BNGL said:

> Best deal in golf is Sycamore Hills GC in Fort Wayne I wanna say a national membership is less than 12k and dues are well under 3 if I remember correctly. No limit on rounds player either. Jack Nicklaus signature course golf only fantastic ranges and locker rooms cottages on site

Who in the world is going to travel to Fort Wayne??

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Ping G430 19 Ping Tour 85X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

> @stickfish said:

> > @CCTxGolf said:

> > Check out the Dormie Network. Multiple option there with accommodations. If I had the coin and the time it would be a cool deal.

>

>

> 5m5d9mdg3a0j.png

>

> Well within the target budget and has spectacular lodging options at VN, assume others as well. Convenient to many markets and ownership seems to understand their members FWIW.

I absolutely love Ballyhack (part of The Dormie Network) and consider it in my Top 5 favorite courses. However, unless the course/club is one of a handful of top clubs that are predominately made up of national members (think PV, CP, AN, SH, CDCC), I believe you really need a second reason (beach, family, former college, etc.) to visit the area where the club is located to really get the most out of the membership.

Ok so you have to check out Frost Creek in Eagle Colo. It checks all but one box, Cost but its not far off.

Amazing weiskopf golf course. Open May-Oct

Onsite Cabin rentals, From Yurts to 4 bedroom houses,

Family can use the pool, lawn games, yoga, Kids Archery range, Frisbee golf, provided mt bikes, scooters, slip and slide, stand up paddle boards, hiking trails, Private Fly fishing on site, There is even a lifted Jeep you can just check out and go 4 wheeling.

The winter you now have a place to stay that has 2 resorts within 30-45 min with the best skiing in the country. Not to mention the tennis courts become a hockey rink, the driving range becomes a sledding hill and the course is groomed for cross country skiing.

There is even an airport in the town of eagle with United flights daily

> @Dancin said:

> > @ryder2015 said:

> > Ok so you have to check out Frost Creek in Eagle Colo. It checks all but one box, Cost but its not far off.

> >

>

> Great club but It's quite a bit more than his budget with 30k initiation and $5570 a year for national.

Yeah but is it worth it? One thing I have learned is value doesn't usually equal cheap in golf.

Have heard great things about Chechessee Creek. Looked at joining a few years ago. There are a handful of fantastic clubs close by - not sure the reciprocity, but hang around enough and meet folks you are bound to have a few other great options close by to mix it up on occasion- old tabby links, secession, Belfair, oldfield, and Berkeley hall to name a few (oh yeah, and this special little place called congaree). Another one to check out is Champions Retreat outside of Augusta, GA. 27 holes I believe and looks like more to do for the family. Plus for both these areas is year round golf.

• Like 1

> @ryder2015 said:

> > @Dancin said:

> > > @ryder2015 said:

> > > Ok so you have to check out Frost Creek in Eagle Colo. It checks all but one box, Cost but its not far off.

> > >

> >

> > Great club but It's quite a bit more than his budget with 30k initiation and $5570 a year for national.

>

> Yeah but is it worth it? One thing I have learned is value doesn't usually equal cheap in golf.

This is why I think you need to have another reason to visit the areas where you may join a national membership to encourage double diver visits. Using the example above @ $6k per year - if you visit 4 times a year, you are probably going to be out of pocket $10k not including transportation when all is said and done. Alternatively, you could likely do annual Pinehurst, Pebble, Bandon, and Streamsong trips for the same amount.

Don’t get me wrong, I love private courses/clubs and am a resident member of a very nice one that actually has more national members than resident members. I have looked and joining a few national clubs, and IMO very few can justify the price over just taking awesome golf vacations every year. Also, I travel a lot for work and my club is able to get me on basically any course that I ask them to as an unaccompanied guest (partially due to the large antioxidants al membership) and I would much rather use the funds to play multiple top 100 courses every year.

> @hangontight said:

> Have heard great things about Chechessee Creek. Looked at joining a few years ago. There are a handful of fantastic clubs close by - not sure the reciprocity, but hang around enough and meet folks you are bound to have a few other great options close by to mix it up on occasion- old tabby links, secession, Belfair, oldfield, and Berkeley hall to name a few (oh yeah, and this special little place called congaree). Another one to check out is Champions Retreat outside of Augusta, GA. 27 holes I believe and looks like more to do for the family. Plus for both these areas is year round golf.

C3 is such a great hang! and yes, there is some reciprocity among those clubs although im not certain about Secession

Scotty Cameron X5

Not a membership unless you are a property owner, but as a family experience, it’s obviously in a different league.

https://www.destinationhotels.com/sunriver-resort/golf

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

> @aabb312 said:

> Hello,

>

> We live in Florida and area looking for a national course for a few trips here and there and a longer trip over the summer. Prairie, Pikewood, and Dormie look very interesting so far. I'm concerned about ensuring that national memberships require a primary membership and also I don't know any sponsors at most places, so Medinah, Kinloch, didn't work.

i looked at Medinah and they helped me on sponsors.. i however went a different direction

> @monty09 said:

> > @aabb312 said:

> > Hello,

> >

> > We live in Florida and area looking for a national course for a few trips here and there and a longer trip over the summer. Prairie, Pikewood, and Dormie look very interesting so far. I'm concerned about ensuring that national memberships require a primary membership and also I don't know any sponsors at most places, so Medinah, Kinloch, didn't work.

>

> i looked at Medinah and they helped me on sponsors.. i however went a different direction

I would be shocked in Kinloch didn’t help find sponsors as well. Four others that you may want to consider if looking at VIrginia area are Farmington CC (large national membership), Olde Farm, the Virginian (use to have an excellent deal for National Membership), Robert Trent Jones GC (use to require a membership at another club). Farmington, Old Farm, and RTJ all have losing on-site (not sure if Virginian does).

I cannot comment on the Dormie Network as a whole (although, I’ve heard nothing but good things), but I can comment on Victoria National. It is one of the best pure tests of golf that I have played. A gorgeous piece of property that was meticulously used to create 18 memorable holes. No homes or developments to distract from the golf. And it is always perfectly manicured. I would highly suggest VN as a National membership course alone. The fact that you would also have access to several other top notch (so I have heard) clubs seems to make it a no brainer for those searching for national clubs.

My advice would be--unless you have a second home in the area or spend a significant amount of time there for business--plan to play about half as frequently and spend twice as much money as you think you will. If you think the financial math at your home club is bad, it is significantly worse when you have a national membership.

• Like 1

I am probably the 90th person to "second" the dormie network. They are constantly adding courses and those courses are actively building lodging to attract national memberships. For what it is worth, i agree with a lot of the member comments about cost and access to other attractions. Good luck. let us know how it goes.

> @WRX8802 said:

> My advice would be--unless you have a second home in the area or spend a significant amount of time there for business--plan to play about half as frequently and spend twice as much money as you think you will. If you think the financial math at your home club is bad, it is significantly worse when you have a national membership.

This ^ 100%

Scotty Cameron X5

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bumping. (Always fun to read about those scouring for a national membership, especially this time of year).

Not sure if this is a new category for this club or not, but White Bear Yacht Club outside of St. Paul is offering a national summer membership. (Golf Top 150 course).

Up to 30 days at the club from May 1 to Oct. 1. Golf Digest ranks the course #5 in MN. Just 30 minutes from MSP airport.

Windsong Farm, west of Minneapolis, also offers a national membership. Golf Digest #6 in MN.