Rules: Another what would you have done thread.

kekoa

> @Noles said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > Sorry, but parents should not be on the golf course with the kids during tournament play.

>

> At certain ages they need to have a parent around.

My take is that 8 to 10 is a good age for a child to start learning to swing a club and strike golf shots. Age 12 to 13 is an appropriate age to begin junior tournament competition.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

> @Fairway14 said:

> Sorry, but parents should not be on the golf course with the kids during tournament play.

Why? Should parents not be at basketball, soccer, baseball, football, volleyball games when their kid plays either?

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > Sorry, but parents should not be on the golf course with the kids during tournament play.

>

> Why? Should parents not be at basketball, soccer, baseball, football, volleyball games when their kid plays either?

For the sports you mention, if parents behave they can be a spectator from the stands, sidelines, or other appropriate viewing area. The parents who misbehave should be expelled by the game's referee or school administrator.

Golf courses do not have stands, ropes, or other boundaries separating players from spectators.Sadly, sometimes parents walk with or talk to junior players during tournaments, which is not good for anybody. Junior tournaments should definitely not permit parents to caddie for kids.

• Like 1

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > Sorry, but parents should not be on the golf course with the kids during tournament play.

> >

> > Why? Should parents not be at basketball, soccer, baseball, football, volleyball games when their kid plays either?

>

> For the sports you mention, if parents behave they can be a spectator from the stands, sidelines, or other appropriate viewing area. The parents who misbehave should be expelled by the game's referee or school administrator.

> Golf courses do not have stands, ropes, or other boundaries separating players from spectators.Sadly, sometimes parents walk with or talk to junior players during tournaments, which is not good for anybody. Junior tournaments should definitely not permit parents to caddie for kids.

This is an opinion. I don't agree with it.

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @Noles said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > Sorry, but parents should not be on the golf course with the kids during tournament play.

> >

> > At certain ages they need to have a parent around.

>

> My take is that 8 to 10 is a good age for a child to start learning to swing a club and strike golf shots. Age 12 to 13 is an appropriate age to begin junior tournament competition.

As soon as they can actually play 9 holes is the best time to begin tournament play.

They don’t have to win Or even be serious but the sooner they play the better prepared they are going to be. The kids who don’t play tournaments at all get left behind.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > Sorry, but parents should not be on the golf course with the kids during tournament play.

> > >

> > > Why? Should parents not be at basketball, soccer, baseball, football, volleyball games when their kid plays either?

> >

> > For the sports you mention, if parents behave they can be a spectator from the stands, sidelines, or other appropriate viewing area. The parents who misbehave should be expelled by the game's referee or school administrator.

> > Golf courses do not have stands, ropes, or other boundaries separating players from spectators.Sadly, sometimes parents walk with or talk to junior players during tournaments, which is not good for anybody. Junior tournaments should definitely not permit parents to caddie for kids.

>

> This is an opinion. I don't agree with it.

Well, most school's have some Rules governing parent behavior during sports events. And plenty of junior golf associations do not allow parents to caddie during tournaments.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > > @Noles said:

> > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > Sorry, but parents should not be on the golf course with the kids during tournament play.

> > >

> > > At certain ages they need to have a parent around.

> >

> > My take is that 8 to 10 is a good age for a child to start learning to swing a club and strike golf shots. Age 12 to 13 is an appropriate age to begin junior tournament competition.

>

> As soon as they can actually play 9 holes is the best time to begin tournament play.

>

> They don’t have to win Or even be serious but the sooner they play the better prepared they are going to be. The kids who don’t play tournaments at all get left behind.

I don't think this is entirely true and is dependent on your end goal. If your child competes at other sports (and by competing I don't mean just showing up and playing) then they can definitely make up for the lack of tournament golf. Developing a competitor in any sport is better than developing a tournament golfer that just shows up because mom or dad drove them there.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > > @Noles said:

> > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > >

> > > At certain ages they need to have a parent around.

> >

> > My take is that 8 to 10 is a good age for a child to start learning to swing a club and strike golf shots. Age 12 to 13 is an appropriate age to begin junior tournament competition.

>

> As soon as they can actually play 9 holes is the best time to begin tournament play.

>

> They don’t have to win Or even be serious but the sooner they play the better prepared they are going to be. The kids who don’t play tournaments at all get left behind.

From a pure golf perspective, the "sooner the kids play tournament golf the better" is nonsense. Ages 10 to 14 is ideal for learning and practicing the technique needed to play golf shots,from tee thru the green. A youngster who does that,especially if he/she has the guidance of a competent local PGA instructor, will be set up well to compete during the teenage and college years.

I understand that in recent years opportunist businesses have created junior golf tournaments and tours , but none of that is at all relevant to playing excellent golf and, or, earning a college scholarship. For example, a 16 or 17 year old who is a good academic student , has a fundamentally sound all around golf game and can consistently shoot par or better , will appeal to a college coach as much or more than the kid who has spent the past 5 years travelling long distances playing dozens of junior golf tournaments. Too many junior tournaments is not needed for excellent golf development and is counter productive to the future of the player.

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > @Noles said:

> > > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > > Sorry, but parents should not be on the golf course with the kids during tournament play.

> > > >

> > > > At certain ages they need to have a parent around.

> > >

> > > My take is that 8 to 10 is a good age for a child to start learning to swing a club and strike golf shots. Age 12 to 13 is an appropriate age to begin junior tournament competition.

> >

> > As soon as they can actually play 9 holes is the best time to begin tournament play.

> >

> > They don’t have to win Or even be serious but the sooner they play the better prepared they are going to be. The kids who don’t play tournaments at all get left behind.

>

>

> From a pure golf perspective, the "sooner the kids play tournament golf the better" is nonsense. Ages 10 to 14 is ideal for learning and practicing the technique needed to play golf shots,from tee thru the green. A youngster who does that,especially if he/she has the guidance of a competent local PGA instructor, will be set up well to compete during the teenage and college years.

> I understand that in recent years opportunist businesses have created junior golf tournaments and tours , but none of that is at all relevant to playing excellent golf and, or, earning a college scholarship. For example, a 16 or 17 year old who is a good academic student , has a fundamentally sound all around golf game and can consistently shoot par or better , will appeal to a college coach as much or more than the kid who has spent the past 5 years travelling long distances playing dozens of junior golf tournaments. Too many junior tournaments is not needed for excellent golf development and is counter productive to the future of the player.

I like this thinking a lot and tend to agree

However, one practical concern I would have is, how do you become a par or better golfer in tournaments (since coaches like to see performance under pressure) without actually playing a lot of tournaments?

> @leezer99 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > @Noles said:

> > > > > Sorry, but parents should not be on the golf course with the kids during tournament play.

> > > >

> > >

> > > My take is that 8 to 10 is a good age for a child to start learning to swing a club and strike golf shots. Age 12 to 13 is an appropriate age to begin junior tournament competition.

> >

> > As soon as they can actually play 9 holes is the best time to begin tournament play.

> >

> > They don’t have to win Or even be serious but the sooner they play the better prepared they are going to be. The kids who don’t play tournaments at all get left behind.

>

> I don't think this is entirely true and is dependent on your end goal. If your child competes at other sports (and by competing I don't mean just showing up and playing) then they can definitely make up for the lack of tournament golf. Developing a competitor in any sport is better than developing a tournament golfer that just shows up because mom or dad drove them there.

Good post !

I've observed too many parents and kids who want to excel at a given sport yet they mistakenly believe entering competitions is that path to do so. For example, the "travel ball" youth baseball and AAU basketball tournaments are filled with kids who have not learned or practiced the sound fundamentals of their sport. So the result is that the parents spend time and money travelling around while the youngster never develops the actual playing technique skills that college coaches want from their roster of players.

> @CTgolf said:

>

> However, one practical concern I would have is, how do you become a par or better golfer in tournaments (since coaches like to see performance under pressure) without actually playing a lot of tournaments?

First and foremost, if a player has excellent fundamental technique he/she will do fine when faced with tournament pressure situations. Remember (unlike unorthodox technique) a major benefit of sound fundamental proper technique is that it can be relied on week after week, month after month, year after year.

That said, tournament competition is good for the developing player as it provides tests for their skill level and provides motivation to practice and improve. Most regions with golf courses have some sort of junior golf association which administers tournaments. So, promising players can play four or five local/regional junior tournaments, and if the junior level is not challenging enough they can enter a few local city,county, or state amateur tournaments.

> @chrissdc said:

> Ignore it. Use the opportunity to remind your kid about following the rules and the spirit of the game etc and how proud you are that they follow the rules.

> Instruct your kid what to do in the future In the older divisions if they witness a rule violation.

I second this. Sounds like the golf gods got him anyway if he hit a poor shot

• Like 1

> @leezer99 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > @Noles said:

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

> I don't think this is entirely true and is dependent on your end goal. If your child competes at other sports (and by competing I don't mean just showing up and playing) then they can definitely make up for the lack of tournament golf. Developing a competitor in any sport is better than developing a tournament golfer that just shows up because mom or dad drove them there.

It's an uphill battle in a sport like golf if you delay tournaments. The younger they are the less important they are so it's better that they learn and feel comfortable at a younger age. Once they reach their teens you usually can't caddie. Like I said you don't have to do them every weekend but a few here and there are big help in their development. They also learn about how to deal with kids talked about in this thread.

Also in golf if you not doing tournaments the chances are your also not improving. If the kid is just showing up there not going to be interested when their older either so it really doesn't matter for a kid like that.

I guess since I have girls I see a lot girls with parents who think if their kid picks up a club they're going to get a scholarship or are going to be a good golfer because they had luck in other sports. Most of the time it just plain crazy because these girls are not really there mentally and they just brake down and cry when they get killed by kids who have been playing for years.

As far as the OP's original question is concerned - I don't think he actually witnessed a breach of the rules.

He saw behavior that MAY have been a breach of the rules, but no actual rule infraction.

As a result, I don't think the OP is in a position to call anything.

Luckily, the kid hit a bad shot. So, I think you just make a mental note and carry on.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > @Noles said:

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

>

> From a pure golf perspective, the "sooner the kids play tournament golf the better" is nonsense. Ages 10 to 14 is ideal for learning and practicing the technique needed to play golf shots,from tee thru the green. A youngster who does that,especially if he/she has the guidance of a competent local PGA instructor, will be set up well to compete during the teenage and college years.

> I understand that in recent years opportunist businesses have created junior golf tournaments and tours , but none of that is at all relevant to playing excellent golf and, or, earning a college scholarship. For example, a 16 or 17 year old who is a good academic student , has a fundamentally sound all around golf game and can consistently shoot par or better , will appeal to a college coach as much or more than the kid who has spent the past 5 years travelling long distances playing dozens of junior golf tournaments. Too many junior tournaments is not needed for excellent golf development and is counter productive to the future of the player.

How will the coach find that kid if he isn't playing tournaments?

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> >

> > Why? Should parents not be at basketball, soccer, baseball, football, volleyball games when their kid plays either?

>

> For the sports you mention, if parents behave they can be a spectator from the stands, sidelines, or other appropriate viewing area. The parents who misbehave should be expelled by the game's referee or school administrator.

> Golf courses do not have stands, ropes, or other boundaries separating players from spectators.Sadly, sometimes parents walk with or talk to junior players during tournaments, which is not good for anybody. Junior tournaments should definitely not permit parents to caddie for kids.

Those sports also have other adults there to supervise the kids (coaches and refs) in case something goes wrong. We are just supposed to let young kids walk 4-5 miles over 5 hours with no adult supervision? I think not.

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > >

> > > > Why? Should parents not be at basketball, soccer, baseball, football, volleyball games when their kid plays either?

> > >

> > > For the sports you mention, if parents behave they can be a spectator from the stands, sidelines, or other appropriate viewing area. The parents who misbehave should be expelled by the game's referee or school administrator.

> > > Golf courses do not have stands, ropes, or other boundaries separating players from spectators.Sadly, sometimes parents walk with or talk to junior players during tournaments, which is not good for anybody. Junior tournaments should definitely not permit parents to caddie for kids.

> >

> > This is an opinion. I don't agree with it.

>

> Well, most school's have some Rules governing parent behavior during sports events. And plenty of junior golf associations do not allow parents to caddie during tournaments.

And?

The problem with today's world is we do things for the minority rather than the majority. If there are a couple of people with behavior problems, you give them the boot. You don't ban all parents just because one is an asshole. Caddying in a tournament has nothing to with what you stated. You made a blanket statement that parents shouldn't be allowed at golf tournaments. I don't agree with this.

> @Noles said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > >

> > > Why? Should parents not be at basketball, soccer, baseball, football, volleyball games when their kid plays either?

> >

> > For the sports you mention, if parents behave they can be a spectator from the stands, sidelines, or other appropriate viewing area. The parents who misbehave should be expelled by the game's referee or school administrator.

> > Golf courses do not have stands, ropes, or other boundaries separating players from spectators.Sadly, sometimes parents walk with or talk to junior players during tournaments, which is not good for anybody. Junior tournaments should definitely not permit parents to caddie for kids.

>

> Those sports also have other adults there to supervise the kids (coaches and refs) in case something goes wrong. We are just supposed to let young kids walk 4-5 miles over 5 hours with no adult supervision? I think not.

It really depends with the age and skill of the players and tournament we are really talking about. I have no problems with anyone having a caddie if we are talking about beginner golfers at any age playing a 1 day tournament. Once they are able to play 2 day tournaments no kid needs a caddie at all and like most parents would not want to enter my kid into a tournament with caddies.

The problems I see is parents who decide their kid is above the rules and decide to help their kids when they agreed to enter their kid into a tournament that says no caddies. But really it's only an issue because the kids are probaly on the young side. I don't see too many parents try and caddie for a 16 or 17 year old kid.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @Noles said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > >

> > > > Why? Should parents not be at basketball, soccer, baseball, football, volleyball games when their kid plays either?

> > >

> > > For the sports you mention, if parents behave they can be a spectator from the stands, sidelines, or other appropriate viewing area. The parents who misbehave should be expelled by the game's referee or school administrator.

> > > Golf courses do not have stands, ropes, or other boundaries separating players from spectators.Sadly, sometimes parents walk with or talk to junior players during tournaments, which is not good for anybody. Junior tournaments should definitely not permit parents to caddie for kids.

> >

> > Those sports also have other adults there to supervise the kids (coaches and refs) in case something goes wrong. We are just supposed to let young kids walk 4-5 miles over 5 hours with no adult supervision? I think not.

>

> It really depends with the age and skill of the players and tournament we are really talking about. I have no problems with anyone having a caddie if we are talking about beginner golfers at any age playing a 1 day tournament. Once they are able to play 2 day tournaments no kid needs a caddie at all and like most parents would not want to enter my kid into a tournament with caddies.

>

> The problems I see is parents who decide their kid is above the rules and decide to help their kids when they agreed to enter their kid into a tournament that says no caddies.

I think the major kids golf tournament organizations have already figured this one out - and it is determined largely by the criteria you are pointing too: age, experience, and level of competition.

U.S. Kids Golf, for instance, is promoted as a learning tour for young kids. Competition isn't that fierce, and it is assumed that kids are learning both the sport and tournament etiquette as part of the process. Therefore, USKG both allows and encourages parents to be on the bag and to actively participate in score keeping and rule monitoring. They are seen as an important part of the learning process.

As kids get older and competition becomes more serious, you get something like the American Junior Golf Association (AJGA) where parents are not allowed to caddy, and kids have to be responsible for their own score and keeping an eye on competitors.

This kind of differentiation seems appropriate to me - even though problems can arise from time to time.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Having been through that when my son was playing junior golf tournaments as early as 8 years old and going to nearly every junior golf tournament (walking during play). I've witnessed 'cheaters' that really did cheat.... dropping balls, claiming a found ball as their own (what ball did you use?.... Titleist 2 with red dot..... Oh, here's a ball, oh, it's a Nike.... "Oh, I forgot, I did have a Nike in my bag".....oh, well over here, under this bush is a Titleist 2 with a red dot.... "no, that's not mine, this Nike is mine".... "OK" ???). Seen the known local cheater make it onto the high school team and watched as he kicked ball out from behind trees when he thought no one was looking; had to say something to the coach about that. Same kid's grandfather gave up, tossing his hands up in disbelief and leaves tournament as a witness to his own grandson cheating, lol. Kid was so well known for doing that, word spread to all the high schoolers that anyone teamed with him watched out for that and got called on it one tournament and coach took him out of play right then and there. I had discussions with my son how he can handle that if he 'sees' something, to first address it with the player, and then possibly with an official. But a parent saying something to a junior kid, uhm, that's bad form and could get ugly with other parents, etc. (you had no right, you just accused my son, you ruined his remaining tournament play, etc). When a junior takes his golf seriously, that's when he'll say something....protecting the field, not just your score vs his.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @mattwalterpga said:

> > > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > > Had a situation this year at a US Kids state tournament where on the first hole one of the girls playing with my daughter hit her tee shot left in the water. We all saw the ball go in the water. I physically saw the splash. The starter even said “that is wet” after she hit the shot. We preceded to my daughter’s ball to play her shot. I never walked over to the girls ball because I saw it go in the water. When we get to the green the girls father (caddie) says she has a 5 when I know she has a six. I told him he forgot to account for the ball in the water and he claims they found it. We get to the next hole and the girl is playing a different ball than what she did on the first hole. When we got in and told our story to the official, he called in and got a ruling. Because we didn’t walk over the physically see that her ball went in the water, we had to take her word on it.

> >

> > That’s a tough deal. But the officials right. Which is why u have to go over to the other player any time they might be taking a drop or in a penalty area. It’s a pain but ultimately u have to make sure they’re following the rules. Unfortunately we can’t always trust people to do the right thing but since I play for money I’m making sure anyone in my group isn’t going to endanger the integrity of the field by cheating. You see it on tour a lot. See example of Keegan Bradley and Jimenez incident!

>

>

> They saw the splash no need to see if it didn’t go in as it was obvious to the group that it did.

>

> Parents do it all the time in younger events and get away with it. When we first did tournament golf I use wonder why my Kid was the only kid that had bad bounces into water. Learned pretty quick that there not that lucky and my kid wasn’t as unlucky as they made out. Had my wife go ahead and watch without them knowing and she seen **another parent kick my kids ball into the water**.

>

>

>

>

>

I'll take "Karen's Way" for $1000, Alex.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Things got a little off track ----- Kekoa, I guess I can't figure out your "standing" to make the inquiry. Were you caddying? Whether caddying or just spectator does either role allow you to approach a player and inquire about a possible rules violation? I'm assuming without knowing the tourney had some guidelines to follow about lodging rules claims that would also cover who/when/how?

>

> Anyway, I think you did the right thing by doing nothing based on what you described, like was said, didn't seem like you really saw anything (definite at least) so didn't happen would be the side to err on, IMO. And if he did cheat, he got his punishment, lol.

>

> More importantly - sounds like a great accomplishment for your son and a great time for you both! What course, btw?

@Hawkeye77 . Yes, I was caddying for my son. You are correct that I didn't actually see him clear the sand around his ball, but why in the hell would he be making a sweeping motion with his feet near the ball. For the record, I've been playing golf forever and I know the difference between sweeping and digging your feet in while taking stance. It was just odd to me that he hit the ball so quickly when I started to make my way to get a better view.

I spoke to the other kid's dad to see if he saw anything and he didn't so I left it as is.

We were played Laguna Seca Golf ranch in Monterey.

> @Noles said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > >

> >

>

> Those sports also have other adults there to supervise the kids (coaches and refs) in case something goes wrong. We are just supposed to let young kids walk 4-5 miles over 5 hours with no adult supervision? I think not.

Not only that, if I am making the investment for my kid to play junior golf, I am not going to drop him off and sit in the clubhouse. Most of the tournaments we play in are at least a 2 hour drive. I am not going to drop him off and find something else to do. If I invest the $500 for a weekend tournament and spend the night, I am going to watch him

> @Noles said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > > @Noles said:

> > > > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > > > Sorry, but parents should not be on the golf course with the kids during tournament play.

> > > > >

> > > > > At certain ages they need to have a parent around.

> > > >

> > > > My take is that 8 to 10 is a good age for a child to start learning to swing a club and strike golf shots. Age 12 to 13 is an appropriate age to begin junior tournament competition.

> > >

> > > As soon as they can actually play 9 holes is the best time to begin tournament play.

> > >

> > > They don’t have to win Or even be serious but the sooner they play the better prepared they are going to be. The kids who don’t play tournaments at all get left behind.

> >

> >

> > From a pure golf perspective, the "sooner the kids play tournament golf the better" is nonsense. Ages 10 to 14 is ideal for learning and practicing the technique needed to play golf shots,from tee thru the green. A youngster who does that,especially if he/she has the guidance of a competent local PGA instructor, will be set up well to compete during the teenage and college years.

> > I understand that in recent years opportunist businesses have created junior golf tournaments and tours , but none of that is at all relevant to playing excellent golf and, or, earning a college scholarship. For example, a 16 or 17 year old who is a good academic student , has a fundamentally sound all around golf game and can consistently shoot par or better , will appeal to a college coach as much or more than the kid who has spent the past 5 years travelling long distances playing dozens of junior golf tournaments. Too many junior tournaments is not needed for excellent golf development and is counter productive to the future of the player.

>

> How will the coach find that kid if he isn't playing tournaments?

Most regions with golf courses have some sort of junior golf association which administers tournaments. So, each year promising players can play four or five local/regional junior tournaments, and if the junior level is not challenging enough they can enter a few local city,county, or state amateur tournaments.

From a golf perspective what really matters is that a junior player learn and practice sound fundamental technique, from tee thru the green, and that work is separate from tournament play. Too many parents and kids put the cart before the horse.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > > > Sorry, but parents should not be on the golf course with the kids during tournament play.

> > > > >

> > > > > Why? Should parents not be at basketball, soccer, baseball, football, volleyball games when their kid plays either?

> > > >

> > > > For the sports you mention, if parents behave they can be a spectator from the stands, sidelines, or other appropriate viewing area. The parents who misbehave should be expelled by the game's referee or school administrator.

> > > > Golf courses do not have stands, ropes, or other boundaries separating players from spectators.Sadly, sometimes parents walk with or talk to junior players during tournaments, which is not good for anybody. Junior tournaments should definitely not permit parents to caddie for kids.

> > >

> > > This is an opinion. I don't agree with it.

> >

> > Well, most school's have some Rules governing parent behavior during sports events. And plenty of junior golf associations do not allow parents to caddie during tournaments.

>

> And?

>

> The problem with today's world is we do things for the minority rather than the majority. If there are a couple of people with behavior problems, you give them the boot. You don't ban all parents just because one is an ****. Caddying in a tournament has nothing to with what you stated. You made a blanket statement that parents shouldn't be allowed at golf tournaments. I don't agree with this.

I never suggested "banning all parents" . If parents can behave while sitting in the stands watching their kids play basketball, baseball, football, soccer etc... , that's great. But if the parents refuse to behave, they don't belong at the event. For junior golf tournaments, if parents can remain at the club house and, or, keep their distance while kids are playing the course, that's fine. The problem is when parents walk alongside the kids , talk to them during the course of a round etc...

> @Noles said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > >

> >

>

I am not sure what mean by "young kids" ? I think age 11 or 12 is o.k. for starting to play local junior golf tournaments. Kids of that age are fine to be playing a golf course without parental supervision.

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @Noles said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > @Noles said:

> > > > > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > > > > Sorry, but parents should not be on the golf course with the kids during tournament play.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > At certain ages they need to have a parent around.

> > > > >

> > > > > My take is that 8 to 10 is a good age for a child to start learning to swing a club and strike golf shots. Age 12 to 13 is an appropriate age to begin junior tournament competition.

> > > >

> > > > As soon as they can actually play 9 holes is the best time to begin tournament play.

> > > >

> > > > They don’t have to win Or even be serious but the sooner they play the better prepared they are going to be. The kids who don’t play tournaments at all get left behind.

> > >

> > >

> > > From a pure golf perspective, the "sooner the kids play tournament golf the better" is nonsense. Ages 10 to 14 is ideal for learning and practicing the technique needed to play golf shots,from tee thru the green. A youngster who does that,especially if he/she has the guidance of a competent local PGA instructor, will be set up well to compete during the teenage and college years.

> > > I understand that in recent years opportunist businesses have created junior golf tournaments and tours , but none of that is at all relevant to playing excellent golf and, or, earning a college scholarship. For example, a 16 or 17 year old who is a good academic student , has a fundamentally sound all around golf game and can consistently shoot par or better , will appeal to a college coach as much or more than the kid who has spent the past 5 years travelling long distances playing dozens of junior golf tournaments. Too many junior tournaments is not needed for excellent golf development and is counter productive to the future of the player.

> >

> > How will the coach find that kid if he isn't playing tournaments?

>

> Most regions with golf courses have some sort of junior golf association which administers tournaments. So, each year promising players can play four or five local/regional junior tournaments, and if the junior level is not challenging enough they can enter a few local city,county, or state amateur tournaments.

> From a golf perspective what really matters is that a junior player learn and practice sound fundamental technique, from tee thru the green, and that work is separate from tournament play. Too many parents and kids put the cart before the horse.

No one is advocating not learning sound fundamental technique. If you rely on local and state associations, you are limiting the schools that will find you. Unless of course that is not something that a player is looking for.

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > > > > Sorry, but parents should not be on the golf course with the kids during tournament play.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Why? Should parents not be at basketball, soccer, baseball, football, volleyball games when their kid plays either?

> > > > >

> > > > > For the sports you mention, if parents behave they can be a spectator from the stands, sidelines, or other appropriate viewing area. The parents who misbehave should be expelled by the game's referee or school administrator.

> > > > > Golf courses do not have stands, ropes, or other boundaries separating players from spectators.Sadly, sometimes parents walk with or talk to junior players during tournaments, which is not good for anybody. Junior tournaments should definitely not permit parents to caddie for kids.

> > > >

> > > > This is an opinion. I don't agree with it.

> > >

> > > Well, most school's have some Rules governing parent behavior during sports events. And plenty of junior golf associations do not allow parents to caddie during tournaments.

> >

> > And?

> >

> > The problem with today's world is we do things for the minority rather than the majority. If there are a couple of people with behavior problems, you give them the boot. You don't ban all parents just because one is an ****. Caddying in a tournament has nothing to with what you stated. You made a blanket statement that parents shouldn't be allowed at golf tournaments. I don't agree with this.

>

> I never suggested "banning all parents" . If parents can behave while sitting in the stands watching their kids play basketball, baseball, football, soccer etc... , that's great. But if the parents refuse to behave, they don't belong at the event. For junior golf tournaments, if parents can remain at the club house and, or, keep their distance while kids are playing the course, that's fine. The problem is when parents walk alongside the kids , talk to them during the course of a round etc...

>

There is enough to worry about with setting up tournaments no way they can keep a banned list or parents and police who is actually watching on the golf course. It will never happen. Sure if there is a problem a tournament official can ask you leave but I don't think I ever seen that happen.

It's only a problem with younger kids and certain tours. Older kids are embarrassed if parents helped them. We aged up to older kids and most the parent coaching from the sidelines is gone. Does it happen where there 10 -12 yes but those kids are still pretty young.

Also found parents advice is not always good advice most the parents are not as good as the kids so their not doing a favor either. It's not an advantage when a 15 handicap parent or ones that doesn't play golf gives advice to a kid with a lower handicap.

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @Noles said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > Those sports also have other adults there to supervise the kids (coaches and refs) in case something goes wrong. We are just supposed to let young kids walk 4-5 miles over 5 hours with no adult supervision? I think not.

>

> I think age 11 or 12 is o.k. for starting to play local junior golf tournaments. Kids of that age are fine to be playing a golf course without parental supervision.

For yourself that is fine but you don't get to decide that for other parents.

> @Noles said: If you rely on local and state associations, you are limiting the schools that will find you. Unless of course that is not something that a player is looking for.

Golf is an individual sport, player against the course. So, if a player is exceptionally good he/she shoots low scores against the course and wins tournaments. College golf coaches could not care less how many tournaments around the country little Johnny or Janey entered . College golf coaches want good academic students who can consistently shoot par 72, and local, regional state tournaments are more than adequate to prove that golf skill.

I promise you that if a boy or girl routinely shoots 72 or better to win local junior tournaments, and shoots 72's or better to win county and amateur state tournaments against a field of adults, , he/she will be able to choose from a big selection of schools offering golf scholarships.