My Road to Improvement - swing video 3/15/24

bortass

36 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

Nice work overall I'd say. 

I consider my bunker play above my pay grade, so I'll offer some insight.

Firm bunkers:

I take my lob wedge(58°, 12° bounce) and open it up a shade.  Less than normal, but still open.  I dig my feet in until my soles are mostly covered - this is important and might take some effort in a firm, poorly maintained bunker.  I want my feet below the ball to encourage a fat sandy shot. 

I take a more aggressive downward swing, ensuring I hit and dig behind the ball.  I do not hit it lightly and use the clubs bounce.  My hands are forward of the ball at impact and I do not flip them.  Getting cute with a light swing/chip doesn't consistently work for me.  It is just too easy to blade or fat.  The intended result is a low spin roller.  My technique is varied by how the bunker feels as I dig my feet in. 

Firm bunkers like this will give everyone trouble from time to time.  IMHO, they are worlds more difficult than a soft manicured bunker.  Make a good swing and move on with whatever the result is. 

Thanks for this. I'll have to give it a try the next time I'm out and in a bunker. I don't know if I can dig my feet in that low in some of these bunkers, lol.  There's been talk about installing Billy(sp?) bunkers which have a liner to prevent the rocks, etc from mixing in. I'll believe it when it happens since supposedly they ask for the funding for a few years and haven't gotten it. They did do it with the bunker overhaul at one of the sister courses and those bunkers are great. Nice fluffy sand! of course I don't do well in them since I don't have the same conditions at the home course.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 3:44 PM, bortass said:

I made the mistake of trying to make swing changes during the round which is a mistake for me. I abandoned it on #2 because I just need to use my normal swing when I'm playing.

This has been one of the hardest mental things for me. It's almost unintentional for me at this point. I feel something is off, or hit a few bad shots and before I know it I'm doing things with my swing that should only be done at home or on the range. Then it's tough for me to get it all out of my head and just swing the club. Terrible recipe for success!!

On 7/30/2021 at 3:44 PM, bortass said:

I have to remember to not trust Arccos with some recommendations.

I use Golf Pad GPS and find it likes to suggest a 1/2 to whole club long at times. I think it's due to my inconsistency, and may be the same reason you have similar issues with Arccos. I'm also hitting out of the rough a lot, so those distances obviously bring my average down. Still a good tool that I use for yardages a lot, but getting a better idea of how far I typically hit each club so I don't pay much attention to the club suggestions.

The inverse of this bunker, a soft sandy one, goes like this for me:

I take my lob wedge(58°, 12° bounce), wide open stance and open club face - I'm basically playing a lob shot.  I position the ball forward of center.  I wiggle my feet down and really pay attention to my alignment.  I find it difficult to aim properly when my club face and stance are open.  I pick a landing spot and consider the slope of the green. 

My backswing length is dictated by how far I want to hit the shot. I accelerate down and use my wrists and the bounce of the club to fly the ball out.  Club hit behind the ball, and never contacts the ball.  Sand is between the ball and club. 

The intended flight is fairly high, lands soft with moderate spin.  It will not check, but shouldn't roll out more than a couple of yards.  I can't hit this shot more than 20 yards.  To go further I'll go down to my sand wedge, then my gap.  I'm playing a different shot outside 30-40 yards depending on how firm the sand is. 

My swing thought is to stay balanced, minimizing hip movement.  I will flip my hands for a true lobber if I have to clear a high lip - not recommended unless you spent hundreds of hours lobbing shots around the yard as a kid.

Hope that's helpful.   

Edited by MattC555
  • Thanks 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Had a short game lesson today and  I think it'll be another game changer for me. The last lesson got my woods back in a major way and I think this one may do the same for my short game. We started with some full SW and AW shots which I don't normally hit. Distance wise there's not a huge difference between that and my partial wedge with the same club. I think it is around 10 yards or so. The real difference is the height of the ball. A full swing is much higher flight. I don't know if I'll use those much on the course but I'll see if it pops up over time.

We then worked on shorter distances with my SW by adjusting my backswing length. Pretty obvious but I've been just using my stock partial wedge swing only. So I will be starting to practice the shorter ones.  He brought up my active wrists in the takeaway during this segment of the lesson. I use them to lift the club up and bring it inside. He got me to bring the club back lower to the ground without using my wrists as much and it make a difference in things. This is a fault I will need to fix in my full swing but maybe if i work on it with short game shots, it'll bleed over.

The big improvement was chipping. We moved to the practice green and he set up some targets. I've been trying Monte's UTB 2.0 with mixed results. I still blade it quite a bit. Well, it's my wrists again. My wrists cause me to lift the club and I end up having to  throw the club back down into the ball. If I time it right, it's an okay pitch/chip with a divot. If i don't it's a blade. He had me work on taking my wrists out of the equation and things improved. The blades were gone but the ball seemed to come out low. The next change was, like in my full swing, keep my head down. He had me hit a few and not look up until my ball landed on the green. Holy crap, what a difference. Suddenly it was a high shot that landed near my target and rolled out a bit into it. I actually used my SW to chip some balls 40 yards into a reasonable range to make a 1 putt ie 6 feet or so. Some were closer but I have never felt good about chipping my entire life and this seemed spot on and so simple to do. We moved to a different spot and he had me do some that were 20ish yards. I kept my head down and quiet wrists and much better results. he also showed me I had my wedge open and aimed to the right... Same thing he pointed out with my wood in my previous lesson. So I need to start watching my clubface and aim closer.

Also did some bunker work with the same principles. The hardpan is still an issue since the practice bunker is in better shape than ones on the course. He made a comment that a number of the bunkers should be marked as GUR, lol.

So my practice focus will be on short game for a while. I'm sure I'll mix in full swing but I want to get the shorter wedge shots and chips ingrained. And I assume some of it may help some of my full swing issues.

I did tell him about my round Saturday with 3 8s and 2 9s and shot a 96. He didn't believe it either. His comment after our lesson was if I hit my short game shots the way he saw during the lesson, I'll be in the low to mid 80s. Of course that assumes I don't somehow lose my full swing improvements. Of course I'm not expecting to suddenly have a great round in the low 80s anytime soon but I think I'm starting to legitimately open the possibility. I'll be very happy when I finally shoot a sub 90 round at my home course. I don't think I've done that yet. All my 89s were at sister courses. By all, I mean the 3 -4 I've had since returning in late '19.

Edited by bortass
  • Like 2

Just opened this thread today. Didn’t read all of it but skimmed enough to get a sense for what is going on. Props to the OP for documenting your journey…this could be helpful to some. 

You didn’t necessarily ask for it, but I’ll weigh in with my $0.02. I am not too far removed from my journey breaking 100/90/80. I started as a legit 35+ handicap, and as recently as about 10 years ago I was a 20. I’m now a 9. I remember breaking 90 and 85 quite well. And I’ve studied about every angle one can study to try to get better at this game. So here are my thoughts, FWIW. 

1. First and foremost you will need to get your swing to a repeatable enough place that you can at least keep it in front of you and not chunk / thin 25% of your shots. They happen to all golfers, even the good ones, but you will need to get to a place where they are rare exceptions. And you can’t have balls sailing off the planet. To accomplish this, your face needs to be more closed / square throughout the swing. You can’t control direction with a high rate of closure. And one thing I saw in your video is that your face is wide open going back. You will have to get that fixed with more lead wrist flexion, avoid the forearm rotation going back, etc. Don’t let anyone convince you otherwise…that if you can just make more putts and improve your mental game that you won’t need any swing improvements. Your swing isn’t terrible at all, but it needs some basic improvements to become more reliable. This needs to be priority number 1 and 2 and 3. 
4. Good rounds come from avoiding the bad stuff, not from making more birdies, etc. It seems like, save for the penalty shots and just the plain old bad shots, you mostly make safe choices. But you need to be more aggressive off the tee, and safer in your approaches. I see a lot of misses in bunkers, short siding, etc. And when you get out of position, get yourself back to the fairway and playing golf. Bear down and concentrate and make sure doubles don’t become triples. And get on the green and putting as quickly as possible. If that means aiming at the center of every green then so be it. Get to the green as quickly as possible. 
5. It seems to me that you try too many different shots for your handicap and skill level. I got so much better when I stopped trying different shots that I wasn’t entirely comfortable with. Fades, draws, high, low…it’s all too much for you right now. Even on your short game, it is best to have a small number of shots you can execute confidently vs trying some shot you fooled around with on the chipping green. You will add those in one at a time when you get better. 
6. Mental game-you can read all of the books, but it all boils down to this. Find a strategy that makes sense to you, that minimizes risk, and commit to the target and the shot and stand up and hit it. Don’t play the shot if you aren’t committed to it, or if you have any doubt in your mind. Get this right for every shot, and then hit it. 
7. short game-your only goal at this point needs to be to make sure, no matter what shot you hit, that you are putting on your next shot. I’m not saying to chip or pitch to the middle of every green, but I am saying that no matter what, make darn sure you end up on the green. Err on the side of caution for every one of your chips and pitches. 
8. Finally, putting- your primary goal here is to avoid 3 putts. Period. And how do you do that. Practice speed, speed , speed. That needs to be 80% or more of your putting focus both in practice and on the course. The other 20% is making those pesky 3-6 footers. 

I gave you 8 (actually 6) things above, pretty much in order of importance. But for a very quick summary…stop wasting strokes with penalties, chunks, chips that don’t find the green, and 3 putts. And get on the green as quickly as possible. That alone might save you 5-10 strokes.  It is all easier said than done, though, so how do you do the above?  Get your face square / closed throughout your swing, get your hips more open at impact, find a chip / pitch shot that you are very comfortable with, and practice your putting speed and 3-6 footers. Oh, and hit shots you are comfortable with and commit to them and just let your instincts take over. 

Good luck to you!  I’ve been through this journey myself…you can do it with the right practice and mindset!

Edited by LeftDaddy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LeftDaddy said:

Just opened this thread today. Didn’t read all of it but skimmed enough to get a sense for what is going on. Props to the OP for documenting your journey…this could be helpful to some. 

You didn’t necessarily ask for it, but I’ll weigh in with my $0.02. I am not too far removed from my journey breaking 100/90/80. I started as a legit 35+ handicap, and as recently as about 10 years ago I was a 20. I’m now a 9. I remember breaking 90 and 85 quite well. And I’ve studied about every angle one can study to try to get better at this game. So here are my thoughts, FWIW. 

1. First and foremost you will need to get your swing to a repeatable enough place that you can at least keep it in front of you and not chunk / thin 25% of your shots. They happen to all golfers, even the good ones, but you will need to get to a place where they are rare exceptions. And you can’t have balls sailing off the planet. To accomplish this, your face needs to be more closed / square throughout the swing. You can’t control direction with a high rate of closure. And one thing I saw in your video is that your face is wide open going back. You will have to get that fixed with more lead wrist flexion, avoid the forearm rotation going back, etc. Don’t let anyone convince you otherwise…that if you can just make more putts and improve your mental game that you won’t need any swing improvements. Your swing isn’t terrible at all, but it needs some basic improvements to become more reliable. This needs to be priority number 1 and 2 and 3. 
4. Good rounds come from avoiding the bad stuff, not from making more birdies, etc. It seems like, save for the penalty shots and just the plain old bad shots, you mostly make safe choices. But you need to be more aggressive off the tee, and safer in your approaches. I see a lot of misses in bunkers, short siding, etc. And when you get out of position, get yourself back to the fairway and playing golf. Bear down and concentrate and make sure doubles don’t become triples. And get on the green and putting as quickly as possible. If that means aiming at the center of every green then so be it. Get to the green as quickly as possible. 
5. It seems to me that you try too many different shots for your handicap and skill level. I got so much better when I stopped trying different shots that I wasn’t entirely comfortable with. Fades, draws, high, low…it’s all too much for you right now. Even on your short game, it is best to have a small number of shots you can execute confidently vs trying some shot you fooled around with on the chipping green. You will add those in one at a time when you get better. 
6. Mental game-you can read all of the books, but it all boils down to this. Find a strategy that makes sense to you, that minimizes risk, and commit to the target and the shot and stand up and hit it. Don’t play the shot if you aren’t committed to it, or if you have any doubt in your mind. Get this right for every shot, and then hit it. 
7. short game-your only goal at this point needs to be to make sure, no matter what shot you hit, that you are putting on your next shot. I’m not saying to chip or pitch to the middle of every green, but I am saying that no matter what, make darn sure you end up on the green. Err on the side of caution for every one of your chips and pitches. 
8. Finally, putting- your primary goal here is to avoid 3 putts. Period. And how do you do that. Practice speed, speed , speed. That needs to be 80% or more of your putting focus both in practice and on the course. The other 20% is making those pesky 3-6 footers. 

I gave you 8 (actually 5) things above, pretty much in order of importance. But for a very quick summary…stop wasting strokes with penalties, chunks, chips that don’t find the green, and 3 putts. And get on the green as quickly as possible. That alone might save you 5-10 strokes.  It is all easier said than done, though, so how do you do the above?  Get your face square / closed throughout your swing, get your hips more open at impact, find a chip / pitch shot that you are very comfortable with, and practice your putting speed and 3-6 footers. Oh, and hit shots you are comfortable with and commit to them and just let your instincts take over. 

Good luck to you!  I’ve been through this journey myself…you can do it with the right practice and mindset!

Great post!

In no particular order...

#5 I don't try to hit a certain shape except in the very rare situation where I need to hook the ball. I have a pretty basic approach to my full swings and even the partial wedges. What's my distance? What's my line? That's it. Now I get fades and draws because of variation in my setup and swing but it's not intentional. I will try to adjust my aim off tendencies, so if I am push fading the ball a lot, I will aim more left.  

#1 The wrist and forearm rotation has come up before. The pro I've currently getting lessons from has commented on it and it's a major issue with my shorter shots. I think I will eventually get this fixed, on the range, as I work on the shorter stuff and slowly get used to it for longer shots. It feels very strange to try to do that with a full swing. I will be looking at just the takeaway and drilling that at some point. I know I will need to fix my swing or I'll hit a wall.

#4 Good point. I do try to play safe but I'm starting to open things up a bit. For example, #18 is a par 5. There is a stream that's a forced carry and if you are at the stream in the fairway on the right side, the green is 180 or so yards but there's also a pond that you have to carry and you only have maybe 2 yards between the water and the putting surface. My play on this hole in the past was tee off; lay up short of the stream on the left side because it's further away and my layup will be dry; Hit a 6i across the stream into the fairway; Hit a wedge/short iron into the green from the left with no water carry. Now I'm getting far enough off the tee that I can cross the stream with a 5i second shot. This has allowed me to actually hit this green in regulation or be chipping from a few yards out. I do short side myself and land in bunkers and need to work on that.

Also I don't count on birdies because I still think they are rare. I'm looking to walk away with a bogey on most holes and am perfectly fine with it. That's one of the things I'm looking at as improvement in my game. I am stringing together 10-12 holes that are bogey or better. Still means I have a fair bit of work but I'm starting to have more good than bad holes during a round.

#7 my goal is to get it on the green with my short game and not go pin hunting. I just have too much variation with chunks and blades. I believe that today's lesson will help this quite a bit because some of the basic flaws that have been causing the issues are now known.

#8 My putting is serviceable. I average 35 putts per 18 based on my last 50 rounds in Arccos. Back in 2008 - 2012 when I was breaking 100 and 90, I was about 2 putts a hole. Think it ended at 1.98 per hole. So not great but not terrible. I do better putting 10-25 feet and 50+ feet. My biggest weakness is inside 10 feet, followed by 25-50.

8 hours ago, bortass said:

Great post!

In no particular order...

#5 I don't try to hit a certain shape except in the very rare situation where I need to hook the ball. I have a pretty basic approach to my full swings and even the partial wedges. What's my distance? What's my line? That's it. Now I get fades and draws because of variation in my setup and swing but it's not intentional. I will try to adjust my aim off tendencies, so if I am push fading the ball a lot, I will aim more left.  

#1 The wrist and forearm rotation has come up before. The pro I've currently getting lessons from has commented on it and it's a major issue with my shorter shots. I think I will eventually get this fixed, on the range, as I work on the shorter stuff and slowly get used to it for longer shots. It feels very strange to try to do that with a full swing. I will be looking at just the takeaway and drilling that at some point. I know I will need to fix my swing or I'll hit a wall.

#4 Good point. I do try to play safe but I'm starting to open things up a bit. For example, #18 is a par 5. There is a stream that's a forced carry and if you are at the stream in the fairway on the right side, the green is 180 or so yards but there's also a pond that you have to carry and you only have maybe 2 yards between the water and the putting surface. My play on this hole in the past was tee off; lay up short of the stream on the left side because it's further away and my layup will be dry; Hit a 6i across the stream into the fairway; Hit a wedge/short iron into the green from the left with no water carry. Now I'm getting far enough off the tee that I can cross the stream with a 5i second shot. This has allowed me to actually hit this green in regulation or be chipping from a few yards out. I do short side myself and land in bunkers and need to work on that.

Also I don't count on birdies because I still think they are rare. I'm looking to walk away with a bogey on most holes and am perfectly fine with it. That's one of the things I'm looking at as improvement in my game. I am stringing together 10-12 holes that are bogey or better. Still means I have a fair bit of work but I'm starting to have more good than bad holes during a round.

#7 my goal is to get it on the green with my short game and not go pin hunting. I just have too much variation with chunks and blades. I believe that today's lesson will help this quite a bit because some of the basic flaws that have been causing the issues are now known.

#8 My putting is serviceable. I average 35 putts per 18 based on my last 50 rounds in Arccos. Back in 2008 - 2012 when I was breaking 100 and 90, I was about 2 putts a hole. Think it ended at 1.98 per hole. So not great but not terrible. I do better putting 10-25 feet and 50+ feet. My biggest weakness is inside 10 feet, followed by 25-50.

Other than eliminating some of the throwaway strokes like mentioned above, the only way to ensure you get better and break 85 is to work on your ballstriking. You aren’t going to short-game your way to it. That isn’t to say that you don’t need work there too (more on putting in a second), but just to say that your priority needs to be getting that face to stay square and improving your path (getting rid of the OTT move). It shouldn’t be too hard, as your swing isn’t half bad. But you have to get rid of the chunks and thins and foul balls as much as possible…all throwaway strokes. 

As for putting, 35 strokes is a lot considering you probably don’t hit many greens. I used to think 36 strokes was about right and thus I wasn’t a terrible putter. But leveraging concepts like Strokes gained putting and just watching other better players putt, I began to realize I was wrong. I now track my SGP and generally average -3 (I lose 3 strokes a round).  I probably average 32 or so putts. I read somewhere that an 80s shooter should probably be averaging 30 strokes. Point being, when I started getting more GIR, my putts per hole started to look worse and worse due to length of average first putt. I would guess you have about 5 strokes of improvement left in your putting alone, and I’d be willing to bet you 3 putt more often than you think, and you miss more 5 footers than you think. 

Finally, don’t fall for all of this “lay back off the tee” stuff. Unless there is a hazard where your driver foul balls will go, or the fairway pinches in at that length, you pretty much ought to be hitting driver (this is a bit of a simplistic view but not too far off).  You’ll hit 4w or 3i foul balls too, and even the good ones cost you so much distance that it could still be detrimental vs hitting driver. And driver is really the most forgiving club in the bag. So grab the big boy and find yourself a safe target and go for it with the knowledge that you aren’t any worse off hitting it vs other options. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LeftDaddy said:

Other than eliminating some of the throwaway strokes like mentioned above, the only way to ensure you get better and break 85 is to work on your ballstriking. You aren’t going to short-game your way to it. That isn’t to say that you don’t need work there too (more on putting in a second), but just to say that your priority needs to be getting that face to stay square and improving your path (getting rid of the OTT move). It shouldn’t be too hard, as your swing isn’t half bad. But you have to get rid of the chunks and thins and foul balls as much as possible…all throwaway strokes. 

As for putting, 35 strokes is a lot considering you probably don’t hit many greens. I used to think 36 strokes was about right and thus I wasn’t a terrible putter. But leveraging concepts like Strokes gained putting and just watching other better players putt, I began to realize I was wrong. I now track my SGP and generally average -3 (I lose 3 strokes a round).  I probably average 32 or so putts. I read somewhere that an 80s shooter should probably be averaging 30 strokes. Point being, when I started getting more GIR, my putts per hole started to look worse and worse due to length of average first putt. I would guess you have about 5 strokes of improvement left in your putting alone, and I’d be willing to bet you 3 putt more often than you think, and you miss more 5 footers than you think. 

Finally, don’t fall for all of this “lay back off the tee” stuff. Unless there is a hazard where your driver foul balls will go, or the fairway pinches in at that length, you pretty much ought to be hitting driver (this is a bit of a simplistic view but not too far off).  You’ll hit 4w or 3i foul balls too, and even the good ones cost you so much distance that it could still be detrimental vs hitting driver. And driver is really the most forgiving club in the bag. So grab the big boy and find yourself a safe target and go for it with the knowledge that you aren’t any worse off hitting it vs other options. 

Good luck!

My ball striking is normally my biggest weakness. The gap with my approach game is starting to close with the two lessons that covered it.  Being able to hit my woods competently the last two rounds has been great. Saturday I was a yard or two short of a greenside bunker on a par 5 in 2. I ended up with an 8 because my short game spit the bit. For whatever reasons, my short game Saturday was worse than my approach game which is very unusual, but I spit the bit on a number of holes with it. What I am thinking will happen is the following. The improvements in my full swing are going to put me inside 50 yards to the green more often. The short game lesson yesterday helped clarify how to hit those shots and not duff/blade them. It'll also help when I hit a pull on a par 3 and have a 25 yard chip, etc.

For the near term, I want to focus on my short game shots that were covered in my lesson yesterday. Get that down and let my short game carry even more of the load from my misses. Also lose less strokes from short game mishits. Full swing is still the biggest issue and is my long term focus.

I don't follow the  plan full shots into the green category. I'm in the get as close as possible camp, so driver off the tee unless I have a good reason not to. Right now there's just one non-par 3 hole I don't use driver on. #11 has fairway bunkers about 200 yards off the tee on the outside corner of the dogleg. I have been using my 7w or 5i on it. See image below from a round in May of 2020, ignore the distances. That 5i was a very solid draw from an elevated tee box around the corner that caught the downslope and rolled out. It's not a normal shot:

CH11.jpg.b3f9bed68fb5c6bb478ef4a9e799e49f.jpg

Yes, I do miss more 5 footers than I'd like even shorter ones. It's why I've started to include short putting practice for 15 or so minutes when I go to the range. It's improved some but there's more to go.

I normally have Arccos do my stats past on the last 10 rounds. I posted the 50 round numbers yesterday to give it more weight. All SG numbers below are based on a 12 HCP, not scratch. Here my putting numbers for my last 10 rounds:

-0.4 SG overall, so I putt almost like a 12.

0-10 feet is -0.8 SG - needs work

10-25 feet is +0.4 SG

25-50 feet is 0.0 SG

50+ is -0.1

Averages per round

1 putt: 4.7

2 putt: 11.1

3 putt: 2.1

1.8 putts per hole

2.0 putts per GIR

33.2 putts per round

Approach game has my average distance on a GIR as 23 feet. On chips up to 25 yards I average 10 feet which is mostly using my putter to chip from near the green. 25-50 yard chips/pitches average 24 feet. Any improvements here will hopefully improve my putting numbers some.

Got in a couple of range sessions and I think may scores may go through a rough patch. I'll get the bad out of the way first and it's why my scores may suffer. I turned into a shanking machine with my 7i. I was just trying to fix my posture and backswing. I couldn't even just step up to the ball and swing w/o shanking. I looked at my MDLT book to see what he says about it. One thing is weight too far back. Tried that without much improvement today. I eventually noticed that if I make my right shoulder go down during the downswing along with starting my downswing by squatting a bit into the left side, it got much better and I hit normal looking shots. So I guess I'll see what happens on the course.

I focused on the first drill from NTC which is about hinging the wrists and pushing your hands to 7 o'clock. From that static position I'd hit a ball. It was ugly at first but once I started with the squat move, I could make decent contact.

The rest of my time was chips and pitches based on my lesson. All I can say is holy crap, what a difference. UTB 2.0 actually worked for a change. I was coming in much more shallow and the mishits were not disaster. I ended the session by chipping range balls on the practice green. I started by scattering balls around one side of the green and pitching them to one hole. Later I hit balls from the same spot and picked different holes. The overall results were a huge improvement over what I was doing last week. My first shot was probably a 30 yarder that I got to about 2 feet... Of course that was an exception but I managed another shot like it later on. I also started to play around with trajectory changes and choking down on the grip to see what would happen. The biggest takeaway is I didn't blade a single shot. I left a bunch short of the hole but I was working out how to chip to a pin on a higher tier.

I'm excited to see how this aspect of my game unfolds on the course now. It's nice to go from not knowing if I'm gonna blade a chip to knowing I'll at least make reasonable contact and have a putt.

1 hour ago, bortass said:

Got in a couple of range sessions and I think may scores may go through a rough patch. I'll get the bad out of the way first and it's why my scores may suffer. I turned into a shanking machine with my 7i. I was just trying to fix my posture and backswing. I couldn't even just step up to the ball and swing w/o shanking. I looked at my MDLT book to see what he says about it. One thing is weight too far back. Tried that without much improvement today. I eventually noticed that if I make my right shoulder go down during the downswing along with starting my downswing by squatting a bit into the left side, it got much better and I hit normal looking shots. So I guess I'll see what happens on the course.

Yeah, as I said I had a similar stretch where I felt like I could not put the face of a club on the back of the ball literally at all. I did fine on the range, but two consecutive rounds were just absolute trash. As I've mentioned, I attributed it to my body trying to integrate the range swing on the course, and getting stuck in between the old and new move.

When you're trying to change a movement, sometimes there's an adjustment period. 

Regarding the squatting, I'm [sorta] working on the same thing right now. I feel like I wasn't getting stuck on my right side, but that instead of recentering early, I was having a big lateral shift as I started the downswing to get to the left side. So basically I was really late getting to the left. I've been working on making sure that I get back onto the left side properly and early enough, and it helps so much with swing path and even power, on top of making better contact.

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

2 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Yeah, as I said I had a similar stretch where I felt like I could not put the face of a club on the back of the ball literally at all. I did fine on the range, but two consecutive rounds were just absolute trash. As I've mentioned, I attributed it to my body trying to integrate the range swing on the course, and getting stuck in between the old and new move.

When you're trying to change a movement, sometimes there's an adjustment period. 

Regarding the squatting, I'm [sorta] working on the same thing right now. I feel like I wasn't getting stuck on my right side, but that instead of recentering early, I was having a big lateral shift as I started the downswing to get to the left side. So basically I was really late getting to the left. I've been working on making sure that I get back onto the left side properly and early enough, and it helps so much with swing path and even power, on top of making better contact.

Do you have NTC? I can't recall. The first back swing drill doesn't involve a ball. I decided to get to the static position via the drill and trying to hit the ball and that move was the only way I could manage a good shot. Monte has other drills in NTC where you swing from a static position, so I figure my modification isn't the end of the world terrible. Not sure if that would be of any help for you or not. Of course you're working with the man directly, so my suggestion may be off base.

When's your next round?

1 hour ago, bortass said:

Do you have NTC? I can't recall. The first back swing drill doesn't involve a ball. I decided to get to the static position via the drill and trying to hit the ball and that move was the only way I could manage a good shot. Monte has other drills in NTC where you swing from a static position, so I figure my modification isn't the end of the world terrible. Not sure if that would be of any help for you or not. Of course you're working with the man directly, so my suggestion may be off base.

When's your next round?

I don't have NTC. 

I'm playing Sunday, and actually taking the day off next Thursday and playing. Both new courses I've never played before...

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

@bortass

Saw earlier in the thread about you using the club recommendations from your arcos app. I'd strongly advise NOT doing that. Nothing against the app but it's just not something you can try on because it only knows the total yardages. It can't know how much was carry or roll and roll is just too finicky of a number to predict. Too condition dependent. 

You really need to know your carry yardages then you can guestimate possible rollout.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

15 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I don't have NTC. 

I'm playing Sunday, and actually taking the day off next Thursday and playing. Both new courses I've never played before...

Good luck with the new courses. Are you playing with anyone that knows them? It's always interesting when you don't know what to expect especially with blind shots. STuff like don't go left because it feeds into the trees etc.

46 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

@bortass

Saw earlier in the thread about you using the club recommendations from your arcos app. I'd strongly advise NOT doing that. Nothing against the app but it's just not something you can try on because it only knows the total yardages. It can't know how much was carry or roll and roll is just too finicky of a number to predict. Too condition dependent. 

You really need to know your carry yardages then you can guestimate possible rollout.

That was a brain fart by me. I will look to see what it recommends and think about it. The problem with that particular shot is I kind of knew in my head that it wasn't right. I don't have a good feel for my carry distances but I hit high shots with my irons, so I'm not someone that get's it 3/4 of the way there in the air and relies on rollout for the rest. Here's an example of what I will do using #9 at my home course. It's a pond carry to the green. If the hole is forward and say 130, which is an 8i. I'll check the middle of the green distance because of angles. If middle is 130, I'll hit 8i towards center, not the hole. Otherwise it's a 7i towards the side of the flag unless I have a good reason not too. Back flag, long can be bad, I do the reverse. If I have a decent chance to go long, I'll use one less club and aim for the flag or middle. I'm trying to give myself plenty of buffer with the carry distance.

I had hoped to get in a quick 9 today but no dice. I did make it to the range and I'm not very hopeful for tomorrow. I have turned into a shankapotomus. Saturday and Sunday I was hitting the ball pretty good for me. I was confident with driver, woods, and irons for a change. I started to think about posture, OTT, and my takeaway and it's all gone to crap. Three days in a row of shanks on the range. I can't even seem to find my normal swing anymore. I spend most of my range session just trying to figure out how to hit the ball again and not have it go low and right off the hosel.

A couple things I noted is I feel like I'm taking the club back more on plane. No video, so it's just how I felt. I also feel like I need to make a much better swing than last week to make contact and get the ball to at least try to go in the correct direction. By better swing, I mean my weight has to shift better; I need to do cast B from NTC; Gotta come from the inside more. Otherwise it's a shank.

I'm trying to put some positive spin in my mind about it. That I'm likely fixing faults and should be in a better place eventually but it's a challenge. I'll be quite sad if I went down a rabbit hole that's gonna set me back since the short game lesson was so positive. I felt like I was gonna have all three non-putting areas of my game clicking at the same time for a change and start to get some lower scores out there. But that's not where I am as of this afternoon. I'll do my best in the morning and try to not tinker or think too much on the course.

Now some positives.

None the less, I know that some of the changes that I attempted will help in the long run. If I don't suck the club behind me and off plane, I may not be as OTT. Also if it forces me to focus on my weight shift and what my hips are doing, so be it. I need to get that part going eventually. Another thing I found that may help is I have a pretty good forward press at address, my hands are close to my forward(left) foot. I backed it off some to keep the butt of the club more centered and that seemed to help.

This biggest positive is pitching and chipping. I warmed up with it at the range and it went extremely well. At the end of my range session, I went to the practice green and cleared it of range balls. I scattered them around two sides of the green and just hit shots to the 4 pins. Was it super awesome? Nope, because I was having distance control issues and my aim was a bit off at times. Was it pretty good? Hell yeah! I hit 30 range balls and only caught one a bit thin.  I left a bunch shorter of the hole or a bit longer than I'd like but every single one of them got in the air and landed on the green. The thin one got a few feet in the air and rolled out to a reasonable distance from my target. No blades through the green. I was also experimenting with ball position and shaft angles to see what happens. I am no longer worried about pitching over  a bunker. The stock chip I have is pretty high and mostly carry, so maybe it's more of a pitch. I am not getting the ball down and rolling quick at all. It's more fly it near the target and see what happens.

I think that the chipping will eventually help my full swing since it incorporates taking it back on plane and keeping my head down. My best chips are when i hit the ball and don't look up until after it's well on the way. Kinda funny but it's working for me.

Range balls aren't great, so I took a couple of my gamers and hit maybe 10 shots mixing up targets and where I was chipping from to see what happens. I need to swing a touch harder than with a range ball and they don't roll out as much.

Have a great weekend and hit 'em straight if you're playing!

8 hours ago, bortass said:

Good luck with the new courses. Are you playing with anyone that knows them? It's always interesting when you don't know what to expect especially with blind shots. STuff like don't go left because it feeds into the trees etc.

For Sunday, it's with 2/3 of my usual crew. They actually played this course last Saturday, so I'm sure they can offer the local info.

Next Thursday, it's myself and my wife's stepdad who is visiting from Oregon. Neither of us have seen this course. According to the course's booking website, we'll be paired up with two other players, so hopefully one of the two will be familiar with the course and can offer pointers.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 8:44 PM, bortass said:

Got out for a quick 9, No one in front of me and while I didn't rush, I was done in 72 minutes. It was 89* out but not too humid. No warmup, so my first swing was the drive on #1. I made the mistake of trying to make swing changes during the round which is a mistake for me. I abandoned it on #2 because I just need to use my normal swing when I'm playing.

1 – par 4, 404 yards, straight, #1 HCP, bunker front right. I mess around with my posture and my drive is a low fade down the right side, 204 yards, with the wind. I'm in the fairway and the hole is on the right side behind the bunker. It's 190ish and I decide to hit my 4w. I top it 93 yards down the fairway. Now I'm around 90 something yards out and Arccos is saying AW. I think it may not be enough club since it's 87 yards to carry the bunker but I go with it. Contact is good and it's a high shot that I can tell will be short. It lands on the back slope of the bunker about 1 – 2 feet short of the lip and rolls back down, 81 yard shot. Well that was a mistake. I screw up the sand shot and it lands in the grass barely outside of the bunker, kicks dead right and back in. My next sand shot gets plenty of gas and I send it 21 feet past the hole. The double bogey putt misses and I have 3 feet for triple. I do sink that putt for 7.

Not a good start. I have to remember to not trust Arccos with some recommendations.

2 – par 3, 142 yards, #17 HCP, bunkers short left and right, and long left. The hole is front left and about 130ish which is an 8i. I mess with my posture and top the ball 70 yards into the rough well short of the hole. I decide at this point that I just need to play my normal game and leave the adjustments to the range. I hit a partial SW and it's a bit low but lands on the green. I can't see what happens because of the lip of the left bunker but I should be on. It's a 69 yard shot that ended up 18 feet past the hole. My par putt misses and I make the remaining 2 footer for bogey, 4.

3 – par 5, 458 yards, dogleg right, #9 HCP, couple of fairway bunkers on the left at the corner. My drive is a great looking high draw that goes through the fairway past the corner, 229 yards. I'm in the left rough and decide to hit my 5i. I'm not confident with woods or hybrid from the rough. Contact is decent and it's a low shot that goes 132 yards down the fairway. The flag is back left and the GPS says about 116. A full 9i is about 120ish but I don't want to go long. I decide to hit a partial 9i instead. It's a bit of a pull but the ball come sout decently. It's a low draw that lands on the left edge of the greens and rolls a yard into the rough off the left side, 116 yards. I use my putter to chip it to a foot and make the tap-in for par, 5.

4 – par 4, 293 yards, straight, #15 HCP, water left and OoB right. Right side has a slope. There's a fairway bunker on the right. I catch the ball on the bottom of my driver and it's a real low fade that gets maybe 4-6 feet off the ground. It carries into the fairway and rolls out, 189 yards total. The flag is forward and about 90 yards, so partial PW. I make good contact and the ball come sout high and lands on the green. It's a 100 yard shot and I'm 9 feet behind the hole. The birdie putt catches the lip on the low side and stays out. I have a 3 footer for par and make it, 4.

5- par 5, 501 yards, dogleg right, #5 HCP, hazard down the left side. There's a slope on the right side which makes the fairway narrow in the landing spot. A stream runs down the right side from the corner to near the green. Another mishit low of the face and it's a low fade into the right rough. I have a bad angle and decide to hit my 5i past the corner. I make real good contact and it's a high draw that lands in the fairway and bounces, 166 yard shot. The hole is middle front and behind the tiny stream. I'm 170ish out, so a very solid 5i or decent 7w could get me there. I don't like it though, too much risk. I hit a little punch with my 8i and advance the ball 106 yards down the fairway. I'm now 70ish yards out and partial SW time. My hands are getting damp from sweat and I don't put a glove on. Things are a bit off with the sweat in my hands and I catch it real thin. The ball lands on the green and almost rolls into the bunker on the left side, 84 yards. I chip with my putter and it's too low. I end up 5 feet below the hole. I have a pretty straight uphill putt now and sink the putt for bogey, 6.

6 – par 4, 367 yards, slight dogleg left, #7 HCP. Medium width landing area with a bunker on the left. Houses are on the right and there's a sharp slope into the left trees if you end up too far into the left rough. I hit another low fade, 195 yards, that ends up on the right side of the fairway. The hole is front right and it's 170ish to the middle. I go with my 7w and make good contact but it's a push, 157 yards, that misses the green to the right. I think my face may have been a touch open at address, which is something that came up in last weeks lesson. I'm in the rough and chip with my SW. It's a mishit that comes out real low and the ball lands on the edge of the green and rolls to 11 feet directly under the hole. I have an uphill par putt and it's tracking pretty good and takes a sharp curve towars the hole inside the last foot and stops 3 inches short of the cup... Tap-in for bogey, 5.

7 – par 4, 351 yards, slight dogleg right, #11 HCP, elevated tee shot to a wide open fairway that slopes down right to left all the way to about the 100 yard marker. Bunkers on the left marking the corner and a slope on the right. It's into the wind and I hit a great looking high fade that lands in the middle of the fairway and kicks forward. It's a 235 yard shot and I'm in the fairway. It would be a great location but there's this odd low spot that I'm standing in. So the ball is above my feet even though it's a pretty level lie. The hole is back right and 130ish. I'm not sold on a full swing with the ball above my feet like this. I decide to hit a partial 8i. I chunk it but because I kept the swing going, it come sout okay. It's a low push, 112 yards, into the right rough. I chip with my SW again and this time I make good contact. The ball comes out high, lands on the green and stops 21 feet short of the hole. I mishit chips too muh to feel safe with a larger swing that will send me who knows where if I blade it. My par putt misses and I make the 2 footer that remained for bogey, 5.

8 – par 3, 160 yards, elevated tee shot, #13 HCP, bunker on the right side of the green. Slope to the right of this hole that is weed whacked. So it's long stuff and wild. Balls can get lost here. Hole is forward and Arccos is saying 8i, into the wind. I decide to hit a partial 8i again. Contact is real good and it's tracking at the green. The ball lands short of the green and stops in the fringe about 2 feet short of the putting surface. It was a 129 yard shot and I'm quite happy with it. I chip with my putter and I know it's too firm right away. It's heading for the hole and I tell my ball to hit it, which it does. It hits the hole and then the flagstick which slows it down and I'm just 3 feet behind the hole now. Well, I two putt from there for a bogey, 4.

Crap.

9 – par 4, 357 yards, straight hole, #3 HCP, water on the left as you approach the green. The pond fronts this green. I hit a great looking fade down the right side and just into the right rough, 225 yards. My lie is good and the hole is back left. It's 160ish back there and a 5i. I decide to hit a 6i more for the middle. Something is off with my setup and I hit a low pull hook. The balls is traveling over the pond and the curve keeps it over it. The ball lands on the far bank about 6 inches from the edge and pops back into the water. I drop in the fairway on my line where it crossed my side since it never made it past the red stakes near the green. I'm 65 yards closer and it's now a partial PW. I make very good contact and it's a high draw to the back of the green. It lands left of the flag and rolls into the rough behind the green. I have a downhill chip with my putter and I get it to 3 feet. KI make the double bogey putt, 6.

A 46. I feel that this was a positive round. Nothing great happened but nothing terrible either. Sure the triple and double suck but neither was the end of the world. I did have some chances to get my score lower and didn't execute but it'll happen someday. What I liked about this round is once again I wasn't perfect but still kept it near bogey golf. Also the partial shots with the irons were good. I'll start using those more as the situation warrants.

I obviously have work cut out for me after watching the recent video of my swing. I'll try to work on things on the range and eventually it'll filter into my swing. 18 tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it.

birdies: 0

pars: 2

bogeys: 5

double bogeys: 1

triple+: 1

Some stats:

Avg drive: 207 yards

Longest drive: 235 yards

Fairways: 4/7

GIR: 1/9

Avg Approach: 107 yards

Up & down: 3/7

Putts: 15

Strokes gained compared to a 12 HCP. 

Overall: -3.5 strokes

driving: -1.4

Approach: -3.5

Short game: +1.6

Putting: -0.2

I'm sorry that I haven't been well enough to come back and comment on your swing properly. I'm stepping back from that because it's too hard on my energy. 

I would say that if you're rushing to the first tee and the opening hole is tough, it's better to hit any club you feel confident in. Make it a par five and it's easy. Go 7 iron, 7 iron wedge. 

That's smart play that improves your confidence. 

Also play the back yardage into greens. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I'm sorry that I haven't been well enough to come back and comment on your swing properly. I'm stepping back from that because it's too hard on my energy. 

I would say that if you're rushing to the first tee and the opening hole is tough, it's better to hit any club you feel confident in. Make it a par five and it's easy. Go 7 iron, 7 iron wedge. 

That's smart play that improves your confidence. 

Also play the back yardage into greens. 

Sorry to hear that. I enjoy reading your swing feedback in the various threads you post in. Hope you feel better.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2021 at 4:17 PM, bortass said:

I think that the chipping will eventually help my full swing since it incorporates taking it back on plane and keeping my head down. My best chips are when i hit the ball and don't look up until after it's well on the way. Kinda funny but it's working for me.

I agree it will help… I love practicing and not looking at the ball until well after I chip or putt it… I think it’s great practice and a good way to make sure you are focused on the ball.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

24 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Keeping your head down is a really bad thought to have. It encourages too many potential faults. Now, having the intention to stay in your posture is different and requires just a small mental adjustment. 

It's stay in my posture. Just easy to say and think keep my head down. The goal is to not start coming up and out of it until after impact which is an issue with my EE.

• Like 1

Saturday's 18 was actually a bit better than I was expecting. I warmed up on the range and had a number of decent shots w/o all the shanks that I had been seeing earlier in the week. Thing is I have found I need to make a new to me move. I have to straighten the right leg on backswing and then do that to my left on the downswing. This topic and some videos of it have cropped up recently in the thread by either @BigTerp1524 or @betarhoalphadelta . It is a new move and i have to think about it though. All chips with my SW stuck to what was covered in my short game lesson and the results were as expected, extremely good( for me).

1 – par 4, 404 yards, straight, #1 HCP, bunker front right. It's a decent draw off the tee down the right side, 223 yards, and into the fairway. The hole is near the middle of the green and I'm 175ish out. I go for it with my 4w and it's solid contact but a touch thin. It's a low draw that lands on the slope fronting the green to the left of the front right bunker. I should be on unless it ran off the back. I get to the green and no ball. I find it in the rough to the left side of the bunker, 159 yard shot. I think I'd have been on if my shot was a few feet more left and it would have hit the fairway height grass that leads to the left side of the green. I use the new chipping technique with my SW and hit a high shot that lands on the green and stops almost pin high, 9 left to the left. I hit the par putt 2 feet long and walk off with a bogey, 5.

2 – par 3, 142 yards, #17 HCP, bunkers short left and right, and long left. The hole if front right. I aim more middle with my 7i and hit a pull down the left side with no chance of reaching the green. I find the ball in the left rough, 134 yards off the tee. I'm a bit past the front of the green and my ball is sitting down in the rough. I take the SW and use the new technique and the ball pops out nice and high and lands on the green and rolls out short of the hole, 24 yards total. The par putt misses and I have 1 foot left for bogey, 4.

3 – par 5, 458 yards, dogleg right, #9 HCP, couple of fairway bunkers on the left at the corner. I hit a very solid high draw through the corner of the fairway, 226 yards. I'm in the left rough with a good lie. It's not too thick and I decide to hit my 4w. It's a high draw down the left edge, crap... My ball lands near the cart path and I'm worried it may have kicked left into the hazard. I had all kinds of room to the right but no.... I do think my aim was off and this is a bit of a trend for me. I will need to try and fix it. Anyhow, no sign of my ball and I drop, 173 yards, from the prior spot. The hole is to the right and I have 60ish yards to go. I hit a partial SW and chunk it 49 yards into the rough, just short of the first bunker on the right. I have to chip over the bunker now and hit a great shot to 6 feet. I sink the putt to save a bogey, 6.

I say the chip is great but that's relative. It's great for me. Already I am doing so much better chipping. Normally I'd have bladed at least 1 of my three chips so far today.

4 – par 4, 293 yards, straight, #15 HCP, water left and OoB right. Right side has a slope. There's a fairway bunker on the right. It's a low pull off the tee and heading right for the hazard. Crap... I actually find my ball at the edge of the brush and I have to back into the bushes to try and hack down on the ball with my SW. I'm just trying to get back in play and have to go at an angle towards the right side and actually do okay. I hit it a bit too hard and send it 54 yards onto the right slope. The hole is back left and I have about 100 yards to center. The ball is above my feet in thin rough. I figure a partial 9i is a safe bet. I hit it fat and it's a lowish shot that ends up in the front left bunker, 74 yards. I seem to have some sand to work with but I don't swing hard enough. I get the ball out but I'm 41 feet short of the hole. I leave the bogey putt 4 feet short and it's a 3 putt, triple bogey 7.

Well there's the first blowup of the day.

5- par 5, 501 yards, dogleg right, #5 HCP, hazard down the left side. There's a slope on the right side which makes the fairway narrow in the landing spot. A stream runs down the right side from the corner to near the green. I catch my driver a touch thin and it's a low draw down the middle, 211 yards. I'm towards the left side a little bit and have an angle to clear the corner with a wood. I grab my 4w and hit it very thin and off the toe. It's a low runner that luckily misses the section of stream on the left before it goes into a culvert under the fairway. The ball only travels 132 yards but I'm still in the short grass. The hole is supposed to be back right according to the pin sheet. It's 160 or so to center and I hit my 7w. It's a decent shot but low and a bit right, 155 yards. My ball is in the rough near the back right of the green and the hole is front right.... I'm in the rough and have to go down a tier to reach the hole. There's too much rough to use the putter. I use my SW and this time I move the ball a bit back in my stance. I want to hit a low shot and let it run out. I hit the chip and it lands in the fringe and rolls onto the green, takes the slope and then tier and rolls down to the hole. I'm a foot to the left of the hole! I make the easy par putt, 5.

That was a great chip!

6 – par 4, 367 yards, slight dogleg left, #7 HCP. Medium width landing area with a bunker on the left. Houses are on the right and there's a sharp slope into the left trees if you end up too far into the left rough. I hit another low pull, 190 yards, into the fairway bunker on the left. I can't reach the green from here. I hit it out with my 7i, 85 yards, into the fairway on the right side. The hole is front middle and about 90 yards. I hit a partial PW and it's a bit heavy and only goes 80 yards landing just short of the green. I'm in the rough within a couple feet of the fringe and use my putter to chip. It's terrible! I hit it too hard and send it 21 feet past the hole... I hit my bogey putt to 2 feet and walk off with a double bogey, 6.

7 – par 4, 351 yards, slight dogleg right, #11 HCP, elevated tee shot to a wide open fairway that slopes down right to left all the way to about the 100 yard marker. Bunkers on the left marking the corner and a slope on the right. I nuke my drive. It's a high fade down the middle, 272 yards. Gotta love going downhill! I have a level lie in the fairway. The flag is back right and 80ish yards. I hit a partial AW and it's a good looking shot, 84 yards and onto the green. I'm 9 feet past the hole and my birdie putt misses on the low side. I make the 1 footer that remained for par, 4.

8 – par 3, 160 yards, elevated tee shot, #13 HCP, bunker on the right side of the green. Slope to the right of this hole that is weed whacked. So it's long stuff and wild. Balls can get lost here. The flag is middle left and I hit my 8i. It's off the toe and a high draw that lands on the front of the green, 139 yard shot. I'm 36 feet short of the hole. I can't recall if I hit my putt too hard or soft but it stops 5 feet from the hole. It's a 3 putt bogey, 4.

Crap, wasted chance at a par.

9 – par 4, 357 yards, straight hole, #3 HCP, water on the left as you approach the green. The pond fronts this green. I hit a push with my driver, 225 yards, into the rough of #1 by some trees. Been here many times and I don't like my odds of getting on the green. The hole is front right and pretty much blocked out but a tree that's in the right rough of #9. I could try to go for the left side but that means a punch under the pine tree and a pond carry. No go. I take my SW and chip it 59 yards into the fairway of #9. Nothing fancy just trying to not be stupid. It's 70 yards or so and I hit a partial SW. The ball comes out high and ends up in the middle of the green, 77 yard shot. I'm 30 feet left of the hole and have to putt over a slight hump in the tier of the green. I hit the par putt and it's looking pretty good and it stops 2 feet out on the low side. Not a bad putt and I sink the next one for bogey, 5.

I have not been hitting it great but I'm happy with things so far. I was worried about it being pretty bad because of the shanks in my range sessions during the week.

10 – par 4, 342 yards, dogleg left, #10 HCP hole. Elevated tee shot to a lower fairway. Green is elevated with a bunker front right. I hit a low pull and it's dead left. I get lucky and the ball hits a slope on the left and kicks to the right and crosses the cart path into the left rough. I dodged a bullet because if the ball had kept to the left, it's likely lost. The hole is middle front and a 6i should reach center. The ball is in the rough and I don't make good contact. It's another low pull into the crap on the left... We find my ball in a bunch of small spindly bushes. So not many leaves but a lot of stems that are 3 – 4 feet high and some with thorns. I elect to take a drop, 89 yards from prior spot. Now it's a partial SW which I chunk 24 yards... I'm finally near the green in the rough to the left of the fairway bunker. I chip with my SW and it's another high shot that lands on the green, 17 yard shot. I'm 13 feet left of the hole because my aim was off. My double bogey putt misses long an I make the 18 inch putt for another triple, 7.

Blowup #2, sigh.

11 – par 4, 329 yards, 90* dogleg left, #12 HCP. Fairway eventually slopes down to a stream short of the green, forced carry. I aim for the leftmost fairway bunker with my 7w and hit a solid pull down the left side and it lands in the left rough near some trees and kicks left. We can't find my ball. It's likely in the hazard to the left, so I drop near where it went in. The hole is middle front and it's an 8i to center, so I go with that. I make good contact and it's a push into the stream by the bridge... Sigh, I dropand hit a partial SW 68 yards and through the green. I chip with my putter the length of the green and leave it 11 feet short. Another crap chip with my putter. It's a two putt quad, 8.

Blowup 3..... So much for holding things together.

12 – par 4, 315 yards, 90* dogleg left, #14 HCP, green is elevated. Narrow tee shot that opens as you reach the corner. I hit a low draw down the left side, 202 yards, and into the fairway past the corner. The hole is left front and around 90 yards. I hit a partial PW and it's a pull that goes 90 yards. My ball hit the left slope and it kicked right towards the green. I find my ball in the rough a yard from the fringe. I chip with my putter and hit it too hard and go 8 feet long. The par putt misses and I have a two footer for bogey, 5.

I used to be okay chipping with the putter but not today it seems. At least it's not a blowup.

13 – par 3, 123 yards, #18 HCP, green is elevated with bunkers short right and left and long left. Tiered green as well. The hole is middle back and I hit my 7i. It's a high draw that goes 144 yards and misses the green to the left. I'm in the rough, on a mound above the green and the green slopes away from me towards the hole. Distance control is gonna be a problem. I choke down on my SW and hit a nice shot, 18 yards, that stops 12 feet short of the hole. I can't complain about this at all. I hit the par putt firm and 3 feet past the hole but make the bogey putt, 4.

14 – par 4, 543, straight hole, #4 HCP. Elevated tee shot to wide open fairway. Fairway slopes down left to right, water on the right closer to the green and fronting the entire green. It's a nice high draw down the left side, 245 yards, and in the fairway. I have a level lie and hit 4w. I aim down the left side to minimize the risk of the pond as much as possible. Contact is very solid and I'm a bit more left than I'd like but it's fairly straight without much curve. The ball flies along the left slope and may have gotten some cart path assist but it ends up in the fairway on the left, 212 yard shot. The hole is back right and it's 90ish to center. I don't want to risk being long since the pond wraps around the green. I goi with a partial PW and make solid contact. It's a good looking shot that goes 106 yards and ends up in the fringe off the back left side. I chip with my putter and leave it 11 feet short, lol. The par putt misses and I have a two footer for bogey, 6.

15 – par 4, 264 yards, straight, #16 HCP. Elevated tee shot to a fairway that is always soft abd cart path only year round. Fairway bunkers on left side in line with the green. Bunker surround this green except for the left side. I hit a bit of a high push fade under the small trees that are on the right side of the fairway just inside 100 yards of the green. It's a 189 yard shot that I find in the rough, so I don't have to deal with a shot off bare dirt. The hole is left front and about 70ish yards. I hit a partial Sw and it's heavy. The ball comes out high and drops in the rough short of the green, 63 yard shot. I chip with my SW and it's another nice shot, 13 yards, to 5 feet. I manage to sink the par putt, 4.

16 – par 3, 147 yards, #8 HCP. Elevated green with a forced stream carry. Bunkers short right and long left and middle. Tiered green with a strong back left to front right slope. The hole is near the front left and I hit a big push with my 7i, 145 yards, and just into the bushes to the right of the green. My only option is to hack down on the ball to advance it a few yards or take a drop because it's marked as a hazard. I opt to hack it out and advance it a few yardsinto the rough. The ball is sitting down and I chip with my SW. It's a really great shot that lands on the green and rolls out and stops within 2 feet of the hole, 33 yard shot. I make the bogey putt, 4.

17 – par 4, 363 yards, dogleg left, #6 HCP. Fairly open fairway with bunkers on the right at the corner. Green has a tier and heavily slopes left to right, can putt off this green... Bunkers short of the green as well. I block my drive out to the right. It lands short and to the right of the first fairway bunker which is on the right side. The slope there feed my ball further right and it bounces onto the cartpath which makes it bounce nice and high towards the right trees... As expected no sign of my ball. I drop 198 yards off the tee in the rough near the treeline. I decide to layup with a 7i and try to get into the fairway. I hit it too strong and it goes 122 yards onto the left slope. The ball is in the rough on the left slope, so ball below my feet. The hole is right front, so I aim more towards the middle to let the slope feed the ball down. I hit a partial AW and it lands on the green and releases to the back left and stays up there, 82 yards. I have a 60 foot putt and it's a right to left break with a tier to deal with. I aim almost 90* across the green and hit my putt. It's is rolling nicely and stops a foot from the hole. I manage te tap-in for a double bogey, 6.

18 – par 5, 504 yards, straightish, #2 HCP. There is a stream carry on either the second or third shot. There is also a pond fronting the green... This hole is a disaster. Tee shot is a push fade into the right trees, 189 yards. I drop and try to get into position with a partial 7i. It goes 117 yards into the left rough. A 7i will clear the stream and I thin it right in, 53 yards. Drop near the stream and hit a thin 5i across, 130 yards and down the fairway. The hole is middle back and I hit a partial SW a touch heavy. It lands on the green, 57 yard shot. I'm 10 feet above the hole and two putt for a quad, 9.

A 46/53 99. I really thought I was going to have an okay round after shooting the 46 on the front. I wasn't hitting the ball great but muddled my way to almost bogey golf. I just fell apart on the back 9. I attribute that to getting tired AND having to actively do more in my swing. What I mean is I found that straightening my right leg on the back swing and then the left leg on the downswing really seems to help. The thing is I need to think about it for it to happen because it is in no way ingrained.

pars: 3

bogeys: 9

double bogeys: 2

triple+: 4

Some stats:

Avg drive: 208 yards

Longest drive: 272 yards

Fairways: 8/14

GIR: 3/18

Avg Approach: 110 yards

Up & down: 2/12

Putts:35

Overall: -14.4 strokes

driving: -4.4

Approach: -9.8

Short game: +0.2

Putting: -0.4

Got out for a quick 9 off the back yesterday afternoon. I never saw another golfer until I was on 18 and saw groups on 9. It was in the mid 80s but fairly dry. I decide to start taking pictures on #11. I'll see if I can post them. All SW chips are with the new technique from my lesson last week and again it paid off. Full swing I'm trying to get the hips working better on the back and downswing.

10 – par 4, 342 yards, dogleg left, #10 HCP hole. Elevated tee shot to a lower fairway. Green is elevated with a bunker front right. No warm up and first swing of the day is my drive. It's a great looking draw to the right side and the ball catches the down slope and rolls out. 229 yard shot and I'm in the middle of the fairway on a down slope. I don't know where the holes are today but I can tell it's on the left. It's 100 -110 to center and I figure a partial 9i will work. I catch it a bit heavy because of the down slope and it only goes 86 yards and ends up in the rough short a few feet from the fringe. I use my putter to chip and get it to 6 feet, 24 yard chip btw. I hit the par putt firm and drain it, 4.

A good start!

11 – par 4, 329 yards, 90* dogleg left, #12 HCP. Fairway eventually slopes down to a stream short of the green, forced carry. I aim for the left bunker with my 7w and hit a high draw down the right side, 186 yards, and its near the middle of the fairway. The hole is near the front right and I decide to go for the middle of the green with my 7i. I hit a very bad pull into the left trees on the other side, 133 yards. I drop in the rough. I hit the chip and it comes out nice and high, 33 yard shot, and stops 9 feet short of the hole. The bogey putt ends up within 6 inches on the low side. Tap-in double bogey, 6.

Darn.

12 – par 4, 315 yards, 90* dogleg left, #14 HCP, green is elevated. Narrow tee shot that opens as you reach the corner. I mishit my driver and it's a low pull that goes 117 yards down the left side. I'm in the rough and no where near the corner. So I hit a partial AW, well mishit it. The ball only goes 56 yards but I make it just past the corner and into the fairway. The flag is middle front and I hit my 8i. It's a nice high shot, 124 yards, onto the green. I'm 15 feet left of the hole. I hit my putt firm and it drops dead center for par, 4.

13 – par 3, 123 yards, #18 HCP, green is elevated with bunkers short right and left and long left. Tiered green as well. The hole is back leftand I hit my 7i. It's a high draw at the left side that I see clear the front bunker and bounce. I get to the green and can't see my ball. It's not in the cup and I can't find it in a bunker or the rough within 15 yards of the green. Then I see it just off the green in the rough. There's a sprinkler head behind the green where the grass, while laying flat, is probably a foot long. Its' kinda funny looking and I noticed it Saturday. It's like a flower. I take relief from the sprinkler head since I'd be standing on it. I chip with my putter, 10 yards, to 8 feet. Again I strike the ball firm with my putter and it drops for another par, 3.

Okay, I'm starting to think maybe best 9 of my life is happening!

14 – par 4, 543, straight hole, #4 HCP. Elevated teeshot to wide open fairway. Fairway slopes down left to right, water on the right closer to the green and fronting the entire green. My drive is a push fade toward the houses on the right and I hear my ball hit something, likely a tree. Crap... I hit a provisional and it's a high draw down the left side that I lose in the air. I think it landed on the cart path but I'm not sure. I go look for the first ball and no dice. Can't find it anywhere. I go looking for my provisional and can't find it. What the heck? I know the line and it's not going to be lost so I go further down the fairway and there it is on the left side in the rough. The reason I couldn't find it quickly is it went 320 yards.... My best driver ever was 305 and that was back in 2014 or so. So drive of my life with my provisional and at least I'm in a great spot in 3, lol. I'm too close to the green to hit my 4w comfortably. Too much risk of water since it gets narrow as you approach the green. I hit a decent 7i, 138 yards, into the fairway on the left side. The hole is middle right, near the pond. I go more for center with my AW since it's about 80 yards. I make real good contact. It's a high shot and the ball lands on the green and rolls to the back, 102 yards... I'm 47 feet past the hole and my first putt is 6 feet short. Turns into a 3 putt triple bogey, 8.

Okay, no best 9 ever but I got my best drive.

15 – par 4, 264 yards, straight, #16 HCP. Elevated tee shot to a fairway that is always soft abd cart path only year round. Fairway bunkers on left side in line with the green. Bunker surround this green except for the left side. I hit a very solid draw, 234 yards, into the fairway just short and right of the green. The flag is back left and I chip/pitch with the SW. I hit the ball and it's nice and high, lands on the green and rolls 9 feet past the hole, 37 yard shot. I hit the birdie putt and I miss low by a foot but pin high. Tap-in par, 4.

16 – par 3, 147 yards, #8 HCP. Elevated green with a forced stream carry. Bunkers short right and long left and middle. Tiered green with a strong back left to front right slope. The hole is to the right, so I aim more left to use the slope of the green. It doesn't matter because I hit a real bad low push, almost shank like, 123 yards into the rough well short and to the right of the green. The ball is sitting all the way down in the rough. I chip with my SW and it's good contact. I swung harder because of the rough and the ball flies to the pin and rolls off the back of the green, 39 yard shot. Oh well... I'm on the back fringe and need to chip down a tier and it's sloping away from me towards the hole. I use my putter and hit a 16 yard chip to 2 feet. I sink the bogey putt, 4.

17 – par 4, 363 yards, dogleg left, #6 HCP. Fairly open fairway with bunkers on the right at the corner. Green has a tier and heavily slopes left to right, can putt off this green... Bunkers short of the green as well. It's a great draw with my driver. Mid height and starting down the center and curving left. I find the ball in the fairway on the left, 225 yard shot, and past the corner. The hole is back right. I aim more for the middle and mishit my 9i. It only goes 88 yards and stops in the rough just short of the front left bunker. I hit a chip with my SW and it's a 32 yard shot that stops 8 feet past the hole. The par putt barely misses and I tap it in from inside 6 inches for bogey, 5.

18 – par 5, 504 yards, straightish, #2 HCP. There is a stream carry on either the second or third shot. There is also a pond fronting the green... it's a push fade down the right side like Saturday but this shot is a touch more left and I hear my ball it leaves. I go looking and assume it's in the right trees which are marked as a hazard but I find it in the rough to the right of the fairway bunkers, 232 yard shot. I do not have a good shot to try and cross the stream from here. I'm blocked by trees. I punch my 9i off to the left, 99 yards, and in the fairway short of the stream on the left side. I have an easy carry of the stream and decide to layup with my 6i to the left of the green. No way do I want to go for it from here. I catch it thin but it makes it over, 95 yard shot. The hole is front left and about 70ish yards. I aim a touch more left to reduce the risk of the pond and I hit a high pull, 78 yards, into the back fringe. I chip with my putter down the tier to 6 feet. I blow the bogey putt 3 feet past the hole, oops. I manage to sink it for a double bogey, 7.

A 45 with a 6, 7, and 8 on the card. Miscues aside I'm very happy with this round. My swing was much better overall. My short game is also so much better now, it's amazing. Sure there are shots I'd like to have back though the 320 yard drive was sweet, I won't deny.

I gotta keep working on the range but I think I have a good idea on what to work on. Getting my hip turn more correct seems to be paying off and really cured the shanks.

An interesting this is last Sunday I played the front 9 for a 44. This 9 on the back would be an 89 combined. I have yet to break 90 on my home course, so I'm taking it as a positive sign.

pars: 5

bogeys: 8

double bogeys: 2

triple+: 3

Some stats:

Avg drive: 220 yards

Longest drive: 320 yards

Fairways: 3/7

GIR: 1/9

Avg Approach: 104 yards

Up & down: 2/6

Putts:15

Overall: -3.0 strokes

driving: -1.6

Approach: -4.1

Short game: +1.7

Putting: +1.0

Some views of the course for reference. These are holes 11 - 14.

Tee box for 11. I try to aim for the left most bunker in the distance. they are roughly 200 yards off the tee. The last tree on the left side markes the corner but everything slopes off to the left there and leads to a bad second shot or a ball into the hazard.

IMG-3564.jpg.c47d4e7f4daa671666c25e5c99b2e0c7.jpg

From the fairway of #11. I'm about 130-140 out.

IMG-3565.jpg.87a722dcfa45fb12098123f0066c17d0.jpg

Tee box for #12. Where the cart path disappears on the left is the corner for this hole.

IMG-3566.jpg.dc70e93faa512856374e7f5bcadaaa24.jpg

#12 green from the fairway past the corner. It's up hill all the way For reference that bunker on the front right is built into the slope and at least 8 feet below the green. All shots out are blind.

IMG-3567.jpg.72558041b6b8f2a587dd42c181248151.jpg

#13 uphill par 3 but not as severe as 12 is. No blind shots on this one.

IMG-3568.jpg.fabb73dad16012c9f9129a00a38ed109.jpg

Tee box of #14, par 5, home of my record 320 yard drive....

IMG-3569.jpg.b24cd9ddb8c8d6c3ea3bd83a0d98a87b.jpg

This is a shot from a bit over 200 yards out. I always try to play down this left side.

IMG-3570.jpg.318bc12dc175fbb3249f2728f5b3761a.jpg

Holes 15 - 18

Tee box for 15, 264 yard par 4. My 236 yard drive yesterday landed in that curved section of fairway between the two bunkers. The small gray tree on the right is where I tend to end up with a miss to the right.

IMG-3571.jpg.c440866641458b2a05587f8dcd2a5675.jpg

#15 from under the small trees.

IMG-3572.jpg.3bee93b5e61c02ce945162350991662f.jpg

#16 par 3, the right side of the green is not visible because of the trees on the right side. The dark area to the right of the cart path by the green is a culvert for the stream that runs acorss this entire hole.

IMG-3573.jpg.a0bb82976d81cca94a547996435e9e0a.jpg

#17 tee box. Those are the bunkers that when I miss right it'll feed into the trees

IMG-3574.jpg.f77e545a845d2a67711e1c648bf31043.jpg

#17 from about 150 yards

IMG-3575.jpg.6cbcb5a2f838ceae5de53715ee0837fd.jpg

#18 tee box, par 5. You can see the stream in the distance. There's a second bunker on the right just beyond the first. My ball yesterday was in the rough to the right and between them.

IMG-3576.jpg.f731febfdc6d5ee10791b251cb8f4eba.jpg

#18 from where a solid drive will tend to land. The fairway bunkers are to my right. From here I can cross the stream with my second shot. If I layup short of the stream, I'm trying to got for the fairway to the left of the pond. The bunkers on the left are behind the green. #9 is to the right and they are connected by a strip of green height grass.

IMG-3577.jpg.a03e2b671a8ccbae80bd6701bfcb1678.jpg

I've been out of town for a few days, and just caught up with your last few posts. I saw a 46, a 45 and a 44 on various 9's with a 53 sprinkled in. Like you said, an 89, 90 and 91 if you want to look at it that way. Not bad!!!

I can't remember if it was you or @betarhoalphadelta who was working on their lower body/hips (maybe it was both?), but I know it's tough. Glad to see you found a move/feel that is working. Loosing flex in the rear leg on the way back definitely allows the right hip to rotate properly. I had the issue of not loosing any flex and I think that's what got the crappy right hip rotation engrained. Then coming back the feel for me (after proper re-centering and weight shift) is a rotating of the left hip around and back versus rotating the right hip back around. As far as the straightening of either leg, I like the feeling of the lateral forces from the ground that force the loose of flexion versus actively straightening, especially on the way back. It really helps my right hip get around and behind and forces that proper weight shift and re-center. 

Edit: Below is the video I mentioned in another thread about the lateral forces of the lower body. Was a good feel for myself working on proper hip rotating, weight shift and re-centering.

Edited by BigTerp1524
  • Like 1

@bortass Here is a good video from AMG I came across this morning regarding weight shift, pivot, etc. The more I work on this (hip rotation) the more I realize it's a lot of parts working together. Just FYI because I know you're working on some similar(ish) things. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CSEtEawhF_v/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BigTerp1524 said:

@bortass Here is a good video from AMG I came across this morning regarding weight shift, pivot, etc. The more I work on this (hip rotation) the more I realize it's a lot of parts working together. Just FYI because I know you're working on some similar(ish) things. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CSEtEawhF_v/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Good video, thanks for sharing it. Pretty sure that's the transition portion of NTC. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bortass said:

Good video, thanks for sharing it. Pretty sure that's the transition portion of NTC. 

More or less. Monte seems to emphasize the hands (cast A) and delaying the pivot ever so slightly in transition. He doesn't go into much detail about the pivot itself. That's where I found the AMG video helpful for myself and the particular issue(s) I was having. 

2 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

There are huge parallels with how Monte and the AMG guys are the swing. 

Agreed!! I've been following the NTC and Monte pretty much exclusively during my swing rebuild. Sometimes a thing or two just doesn't click for me. I get the premise and understand what needs to be done, but occasionally the feel, drill or whatever I just cannot get it to click. Nearly every time I'll find something from AMG addressing the same issue or move and their feels or drills will work for me. Monte and AMG are my only follows on Instagram. After watching enough of both, it's clear they both have a very similar approach to the golf swing.  

• Like 1

• bortass changed the title to My Road to Improvement - swing video 3/15/24