Shot Scope V3

On 1/29/2023 at 1:35 AM, mc2 said:

or is it referring to the shot before, was it a tap in from a putt that was left short, or a tap in from a putt that was long?

From their support FAQs:

If you are moving the location of your final putt you have the option to use our 'Tap In' feature. Select the last putt, then click on the 'Tap In' button at the bottom right of the image, then click on 'Long Tap In' if the previous shot finished long or beyond the hole or 'Short Tap In' if the previous shot ended up short of the hole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Considering the handheld.

Is that easy to use, or does having to tap the handle near the device become too much of a diversion while on the course?

A general question which pertains to usage.

Say I am in the fairway with my second shot.  I select a 6i, take some practice strokes.  But then decide I really should be using my 7i.  Put the 6i away, pull the 7i.  Take a practice swing with the 7i.  Hit the 7i.

Will the device know I ended up using the 7i and not the 6i, and not two different shots with different irons  from the same place?

Scott

12 hours ago, sjsdogsrule said:

Considering the handheld.

Is that easy to use, or does having to tap the handle near the device become too much of a diversion while on the course?

A general question which pertains to usage.

Say I am in the fairway with my second shot.  I select a 6i, take some practice strokes.  But then decide I really should be using my 7i.  Put the 6i away, pull the 7i.  Take a practice swing with the 7i.  Hit the 7i.

Will the device know I ended up using the 7i and not the 6i, and not two different shots with different irons  from the same place?

Scott

I don't have the H4, I just have the watch. However, I used to have the OG Game Golf and tagging of the club can get integrated into your pre-shot routine over time. Until that happens, shots will probably be missed.

As to the 2nd question, there is an option in Settings to "Show Club". So, on the watch you can see what club has been selected and if the club you changed to is now reflected there or not. I assume the H4 would work the same way, just being a little more awkward given it is either on your belt or in your pocket.

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2023 at 3:48 AM, Ruffy123 said:

I have just ordered a v3 and have some questions on how it handles certain situations. e.g. how does it handle when you use a putter, or say a 7 iron from just off the green? How does using a 7 iron for such a shot mess with the overall distance stats for a normally hit 7 iron?

Essentially, no. From what I've read, it excludes outliers. You can also mark a shot as 'provisional' which removes it from the data.

I'm around 8 rounds in with mine now and each round takes about 5 minutes to check over on a PC (app is painful) to ensure that the data is correct. So far, I've found the data invaluable and gives you blatant areas where you need to improve..

On 3/15/2023 at 10:48 PM, Ruffy123 said:

I have just ordered a v3 and have some questions on how it handles certain situations. e.g. how does it handle when you use a putter, or say a 7 iron from just off the green? How does using a 7 iron for such a shot mess with the overall distance stats for a normally hit 7 iron?

Somewhat depends on which putting method (manual or auto) you are using. In auto mode with a tag installed on the putter and Auto mode selected in setting on the watch, the watch will sense when you are using the putter, even from off the green. Then, after holing out and standing over the hole, you push the button that corresponds to the number of times YOU USED the putter, not just the number of actual putts from on the green as the system sorts out actual putts from chips when a putter is used. If you are off the green using another club in auto mode, even if the Pin Collect screen is showing, the watch knows what club you are using and the shot will be recorded properly with no further action on your part.

In manual mode, no putter tag installed, and Manual mode selected in settings on the watch, you will need to use the menu button, top left, scroll through the options at the bottom to select the Pin Collect screen to manually record the use of your putter from off the green as, with no tag, there is no way for the watch to know you have a putter in your hand. Then, push that top right button standing over each putt while on the green. After holing out, you push the bottom right button to record the hole location. Just like in auto mode, if you are using another club from off the green, it doesn't matter if the Pin Collect screen is showing as that wedge or 7i or whatever club will be properly identified and the shot recorded accordingly.

Forget "outliers" not be included in stats for chip shots. Any shot from within 50 yards of the pin is recorded in short game stats and not included in club distances, neither AVG nor P-AVG. Only shots OVER 50 yards are included in distance stats, with outliers being disregarded in the P-AVG.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The new X5 version of the watch says it uses these satellites:

GPS L1, Galileo E1, Glonass L1

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5 GD Tour AD Red 55 S
4W: Callaway Mavrik 16.5
Hyb: Wishon 2 & 3 (18*, 21*)
Redbird Avian Forged 5-GW
SW/LW: Miura 56*, 60* K grind

Putter: Miura KM008
Srixon Q Star soon to try Vice Pro Zero

On 3/20/2023 at 1:05 PM, ThinkingPlus said:

Any updated status on Shotscope starting to make use of the L5 frequency constellation (required to improve accuracy from 3 m to 30 cm)? Latest status on the L5 birds is 17 of 24 deployed with full 24 complement still scheduled to be in orbit by end of 2027.

Doubt anyone using shotscope is good enough to benefit from 30cm accuracy. 

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

5 hours ago, Double K said:

Not exactly reliable for putting data from 3 meters (almost 10 feet)...you don't have to be a tour pro to realize that. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

1 hour ago, bhj83 said:

Not exactly reliable for putting data from 3 meters (almost 10 feet)...you don't have to be a tour pro to realize that. 

If you are using a GPS to work on your putting, I suggest you have bigger fish to fry. 

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

6 hours ago, Double K said:

As @bhj83pointed out, sub-meter accuracy is necessary for good putting stats. It is also very beneficial for short game. Finally, Shotscope advertised that the system was capable of providing 30 cm accuracy.  It is a dual frequency device.  They are not currently using, as far as I know, the L5 constellation despite 17 of 24 birds in orbit. It is disappointing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Double K said:

If you are using a GPS to work on your putting, I suggest you have bigger fish to fry. 

Have you even looked at the plethora of putting stats available from ShotScope? It doesn't sound like it. If it did have the 30cm accuracy they originally marketed then you'd be able to absolutely rely on the putting data to assess your performance and determine what you need to practice more or less. That's the entire point of going through all of the work to track your data. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

3 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

As @bhj83pointed out, sub-meter accuracy is necessary for good putting stats. It is also very beneficial for short game. Finally, Shotscope advertised that the system was capable of providing 30 cm accuracy.  It is a dual frequency device.  They are not currently using, as far as I know, the L5 constellation despite 17 of 24 birds in orbit. It is disappointing. 

Shot Scope can't control which satellites are using the L5 frequency. 

34 minutes ago, phil75070 said:

Shot Scope can't control which satellites are using the L5 frequency. 

The newest constellation of GPS sats use L5, L1C, or L2C. The plan is to put up 24 L5 band birds by 2027 and 24 L2C birds by 2024. There are 17 L5 and 23 L2C birds currently in orbit. L1C deployment is just starting so not currently pertinent. Shotscope devices have the ability to use several of these frequencies to enhance the reported GPS position from the typical 3 - 4 meters down to as good as 30 cm.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 6:26 AM, bhj83 said:

Why settle for 6 inches? If you are on the green you could use a tape and get sub-inch accuracy. You already have to post edit your rounds, why not use the best data you can? 

This is the golf tech equivalent of range anxiety for people adopting EVs. 

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

8 minutes ago, Double K said:

Why settle for 6 inches? If you are on the green you could use a tape and get sub-inch accuracy. You already have to post edit your rounds, why not use the best data you can? 

This is the golf tech equivalent of range anxiety for people adopting EVs. 

Somehow I think the POP police won't let you get away with that. Also, there would be very little editing necessary or none at all with improved accuracy. BTW, where did you come up with 6"?

4 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Somehow I think the POP police won't let you get away with that. Also, there would be very little editing necessary or none at all with improved accuracy. BTW, where did you come up with 6"?

Clearly you aren't a shotscope user 

• Haha 1

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

• 3 months later...

Sorry to reboot a slightly older thread, but has anyone run into issues with their V3 lately? I was playing a round three weeks ago and the watch randomly died after hole 17, and I knew it had a full charge at the start of the round. I got home and recharged the watch and now the watch will turn on, but when I go to hit shut down the watch freezes and crashes. It also crashes when trying to start a round. I contacted CS, but they said they’re “very busy” and would get back to me as soon as they can. I also let the watch die completely and when I go to charge it says it has 100% charge.

• 7 months later...

Played with my V3 for most of 2022 and got some good data from it. Last year, after maybe 3 rounds of trying GPS+Track, I gave up on the track part and just used it for GPS. I was missing shots, forgetting to add penalties, and taking some time after the round to make the corrections. The GPS is great and that was the main reason I purchased, but I do plan to commit to shot tracking more this year. I'll switch to manual putting and try my best to tap the tag to the watch in my pre-shot routine so the missed shots are minimal. Overall, it's been a good experience and hope to get more useful data this year.

My V3 is still kicking.  It might miss a putt, but other than that it is as close to automatic as it can get.  I think it likes to feel a practice swing or two before the shot.  Putting, I don't think it's missed a 1st putt, but when I tap in it can miss.  The feature to tap # of putts at end of the hole is great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCDuffer said:

My V3 is still kicking.  It might miss a putt, but other than that it is as close to automatic as it can get.  I think it likes to feel a practice swing or two before the shot.  Putting, I don't think it's missed a 1st putt, but when I tap in it can miss.  The feature to tap # of putts at end of the hole is great.

Same here. Not sure what year the V3 can't out but that's when I got it. I use it for about 40 of my rounds a year. I have no issues. Love it.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.