Shot Scope V3

14 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Seems like claiming 30 cm accuracy, but delivering > 3 meters is worth a complaint every year or so.

Once is enough. You’ve said it 10 times on this thread. It’s like the Louie CK but where people complaining about amazing technology they just found out about. Manually put in your putts if you want that kind of accuracy seriously 

14 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Seems like claiming 30 cm accuracy, but delivering > 3 meters is worth a complaint every year or so.

Is it consistently off by 3+ meters, or is that only an occasional thing? I'm interested in picking up a shot tracking system but obviously don't want something that's wildly wrong...

-- Lefty --

Rogue ST Max: 10.5°

G425 Max 5W: 16.5°

Srixon ZX Util: 20°

Mizuno MP223: 4-P  

Mizuno T20: 51°, 55°

CG RTX4: 58°

Ping Redwood Anser Black Satin

--

14 minutes ago, Shortgamemagic said:

Once is enough. You’ve said it 10 times on this thread. It’s like the Louie CK but where people complaining about amazing technology they just found out about. Manually put in your putts if you want that kind of accuracy seriously 

Sorry, I've got to side with @ThinkingPlus on this one. I pre-ordered in large part based on that claim and here we are still not getting that level of accuracy. ShotScope monitors and responds to this thread. What exactly do you mean by "manually put in your putts" anyways? Personally, I just don't put much weight into most of the putting stats aside from number of putts and the 3 putt avoidance stuff. I try to edit after the round but don't always remember exactly how long each of my 30 or so putts were. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

11 minutes ago, LeftDot said:

Is it consistently off by 3+ meters, or is that only an occasional thing? I'm interested in picking up a shot tracking system but obviously don't want something that's wildly wrong...

I'm sure all of these tracking devices are roughly the same accuracy wise. The main issue myself and others have with ShotScope was the original claim of 3 cm or whatever and my thought was it would be great for putting statistics. GPS L1 is just not accurate enough when you're talking about going down to inches or feet for putts. It's quite accurate for everything when you take into consideration that 4 foot putt you made on 18 might show as a 8 foot putt. 

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

30 minutes ago, bhj83 said:

Sorry, I've got to side with @ThinkingPlus on this one. I pre-ordered in large part based on that claim and here we are still not getting that level of accuracy. ShotScope monitors and responds to this thread. What exactly do you mean by "manually put in your putts" anyways? Personally, I just don't put much weight into most of the putting stats aside from number of putts and the 3 putt avoidance stuff. I try to edit after the round but don't always remember exactly how long each of my 30 or so putts were. 

When you edit the round put in the actual putt distance. If it says 8 feet but was 4 feet then edit it to 4 feet. It’s not hard.

30 cm is literally less than one foot. To expect that accuracy is ridiculous for a consumer product. Not sure where you’re seeing that claim as I can’t find it. If it was claimed then I dont know what to tell you. Move on to a different system even though the accuracy will be the same. 

I mean you used to have to walk off every distance from a marker. It’s crazy the stuff people complain about. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shortgamemagic said:

When you edit the round put in the actual putt distance. If it says 8 feet but was 4 feet then edit it to 4 feet. It’s not hard.

30 cm is literally less than one foot. To expect that accuracy is ridiculous for a consumer product. Not sure where you’re seeing that claim as I can’t find it. If it was claimed then I dont know what to tell you. Move on to a different system even though the accuracy will be the same. 

I mean you used to have to walk off every distance from a marker. It’s crazy the stuff people complain about. 

Do you remember every single putt distance and location after your round when you're editing??? It was a claim they made early on in the V3 launch and they later took that out of the product description. I'll see if I can find an email or something. 

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

Just now, bhj83 said:

Do you remember every single putt distance and location after your round when you're editing??? It was a claim they made early on in the V3 launch and they later took that out of the product description. I'll see if I can find an email or something. 

Yes I can. Obviously if you wait until the next day or after other rounds the memory fades but don’t have an issue recalling shots during a round. 

8 minutes ago, Shortgamemagic said:

Yes I can. Obviously if you wait until the next day or after other rounds the memory fades but don’t have an issue recalling shots during a round. 

That's impressive. I play 36 holes in a day sometimes and it's impossible for me to remember every single putt location and distance. I have a hard enough time doing it for 18 holes. Regardless, the complaint I have is the promise was made and not delivered on and it's over 2 years later. It also wasn't made clear in that claim that it was reliant on things out of their control to actually work (L5 satellites are required for the greater accuracy and ShotScope has nothing to do with launching those). 

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

39 minutes ago, bhj83 said:

That's impressive. I play 36 holes in a day sometimes and it's impossible for me to remember every single putt location and distance. I have a hard enough time doing it for 18 holes. Regardless, the complaint I have is the promise was made and not delivered on and it's over 2 years later. It also wasn't made clear in that claim that it was reliant on things out of their control to actually work (L5 satellites are required for the greater accuracy and ShotScope has nothing to do with launching those). 

I hear you but life doesn’t always work out the way you want, right? Not being personal just sayin. It seems the benefits of the stats and yardages etc greatly overweight that it can’t record a 30cm putt in real time. Apparently COVID delayed satellite launching etc which is understandable. 

Accuracy on my V3 is just fine for my purposes. 3 meters or 30 cm doesn't make much difference to my game. If I was playing with someone and they started measuring the distance of every putt, I think I would just let them play on without me and go on with enjoying my round. Not sure why anyone needs that much detail in their stats, but to each their own. I use the manual input function for my putts anyway since I use multiple putters (depends on what's in my bag that day) and am too lazy to change the tag. The number of putts per hole is all that's important to me. I don't get paid on how well I play golf, so the number of 8 footers compared to the number of 5 footers I've made doesn't factor in.

I've compared to multiple other devices when playing with others and the GPS on the V3 is within 1 yard of every one. Good enough for my money.

28 minutes ago, Shortgamemagic said:

I hear you but life doesn’t always work out the way you want, right? Not being personal just sayin. It seems the benefits of the stats and yardages etc greatly overweight that it can’t record a 30cm putt in real time. Apparently COVID delayed satellite launching etc which is understandable. 

Look man...I still use the watch because I do find the other data valuable enough. Just stating a little of the history for those who may not have received that preorder email since the secret page they had associated with it is gone and that's where the accuracy claims were made. My opinion on the original matter was I support the guy who is regularly asking for updates because I would love for that to eventually work out and have better accuracy. There are so many strokes gained putting stats that I would love to utilize but I'm not going to walk off the distance of every single putt to make it work. 

On the other hand, if you've got a problem with consumers trying to hold a company to their claims, I'm not sure what to suggest for you on that one. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

I walk my putts to get a feel of how far they are, even before I started using Shot Scope. So walking my putts was never an issue since I have been doing it anyway even before. I do find that I need to edit my putts after the round as they are not that accurate. But it's ok, I just write down the pin position and the distances of my putts. Takes me less than 5 mins to do when I get to my computer at home. The data I get from this watch and the improvement that I have been seeing this season is more than enough for me to keep using it. But then again, who does not want a better version of this watch anyway? 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LeftDot said:

GPS is specified to provide 10 meter accuracy in 3 dimensions (Spherical Error Probability - SEP).  Since golfers don't much care about elevation (which is the least accurate axis), the horizontal plane accuracy is around 3 - 4 meters at best using single frequency band GPS.  If the hardware supports dual frequency GPS, then accuracy down to 30 cm is possible.

The Shotscope V3 hardware supports dual frequency GPS, but the full constellation of satellites for the second frequency isn't yet in orbit.  While the 2nd frequency birds that are in orbit are transmitting, Shotscope does not seem to use the data.  I have never gotten better than 3 - 4 meter positioning.

In my opinion, it matters if you are using the Shotscope as your only distance measuring device (I don't) or if you value accurate short game stats (putting, chipping, and pitching).  If you mostly care about how far you hit your clubs, the 3 - 4 meter accuracy probably doesn't matter much.

• Like 3

I just picked up a V3.

I have never been a watch guy. As such, I was nearly convinced I'd return the V3 moments after trying it on. The GPS, and especially free stat tracking made me give it a shot. Well, last night I wore it during a long sweaty practice session and didn't even notice it was on. Again, having never worn a watch of any kind, this was a big win. 

I assigned the club tags too. The process was simple and much more crisp than the Arccos process. Mind you, neither are hard, but Shot Scope was just more seamless. Also, the tags are so much better than Arccos, which add a solid 1/2" to the club. I was always concerned I'd knock one off and constantly check to make sure they were fully screwed in. The only thing that could make the Shot Scope tags better would be to make them concave. Since they are flat they don't sit flush to the grip end, but that's me trying to find a critical nit. 

I will say I do prefer the look and feel of the Arccos app. I especially like the ability to preview a course before playing. Does Shot Scope have anything like that? I'm playing Saturday and will upload my first round. Maybe the Shot Scope is better than what I see on the surface. 

I bought the watch mostly for the distances to pin/hazards feature on the watch. The stats are cool but it regularly misses shots (i shot 92 the other day and it said i scored 87 when i got home and sync'ed the round) although that could be due to me. I'm still not sure how to treat putts from off the green, not sure how to get it to go back to shot mode if you accidentally walk over the green and it goes into pin collect mode, and the distances for clubs obviously only give total distance which imo is useless since course conditions and therefore total distance are massively variable. I hit a 5 iron 233 yards the other day, and a 7 iron 212, but since they were both relatively blind shots i have no idea how the roll out/bounce aided this.

That said i'm not grumbling. I get to see roughly how many putts, FIR, GIR and hazards. Good enough for me, better than not having it and having to look for the 150 marker in the fairway.

13 hours ago, Mizunoid said:

I bought the watch mostly for the distances to pin/hazards feature on the watch. The stats are cool but it regularly misses shots (i shot 92 the other day and it said i scored 87 when i got home and sync'ed the round) although that could be due to me. I'm still not sure how to treat putts from off the green, not sure how to get it to go back to shot mode if you accidentally walk over the green and it goes into pin collect mode, and the distances for clubs obviously only give total distance which imo is useless since course conditions and therefore total distance are massively variable. I hit a 5 iron 233 yards the other day, and a 7 iron 212, but since they were both relatively blind shots i have no idea how the roll out/bounce aided this.

That said i'm not grumbling. I get to see roughly how many putts, FIR, GIR and hazards. Good enough for me, better than not having it and having to look for the 150 marker in the fairway.

If you are using teh "Auto" mode for putting, after you hole your last putt and get ready to mark the hole location, press the button that corresponds to the number of times you USED the putter, including any from off the  green. The system sorts out what are putts (taken from on the green) vs chips using the putter.

You don’t need to go back to shot mode if the pin collect screen is showing, and you are chipping with another club. That wedge or other iron will still be properly recognized.

Not sure what you mean about "total distance". The distance is being measured between two GPS locations, one where you take the shot from, and where you take your next shot from. I don't know how any GPS based system could measure carry vs total distance. You can view club distances by P_AVG which removes outliers both long and short, and AVG which includes all shots taken with a given club if that is what you are referring to.

1 hour ago, phil75070 said:

If you are using teh "Auto" mode for putting, after you hole your last putt and get ready to mark the hole location, press the button that corresponds to the number of times you USED the putter, including any from off the  green. The system sorts out what are putts (taken from on the green) vs chips using the putter.

Makes sense - i need to tweak my settings. Still, it has missed some putts, mostly little 2 inchers for tap-ins, maybe i'm not registering enough of a stroke on the ball to have it pick it up.

Not sure what you mean about "total distance". The distance is being measured between two GPS locations, one where you take the shot from, and where you take your next shot from. I don't know how any GPS based system could measure carry vs total distance. You can view club distances by P_AVG which removes outliers both long and short, and AVG which includes all shots taken with a given club if that is what you are referring to.

Nah i just meant that total distance isn't a useful metric that's all.

If it pitches next to its pitch mark then it's useful but it telling me i hit driver 270 doesn't account for did i carry them 265-285 this week or did i hit them 240 and get 30 yards of roll out cause the fairways are like concrete?

Same with other clubs - since total distance is totally reliant on ground conditions, wind, etc, i don't find it a useful metric. I still enjoy seeing them though.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:58 AM, Shortgamemagic said:

I am right with you shortgamemagic,   I have zero problems recalling every shot I hit after each round.  Heck, I can recall every iron I used as well.  If you want to depend on the stats when using this device or any tracking device, you should adopt the proper practice to adjust each and every hole.   That is critical to the end results and it only takes 10 minutes max.   

Edited by MPG
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: PXG Gen 6 22* 4 - Tour AD 95x
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Steelfiber Reserve 110cw
Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 54* / Taylormade Hi Toe 58* - KBS TGI
Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

21 hours ago, Mizunoid said:

Nah i just meant that total distance isn't a useful metric that's all.

I agree. Other than driver, distances shown for any other club are meaningless to me, as a decent golfer I already have a feel for how far I hit my clubs in ideal conditions. Ideal conditions are rare, however. Wind, temperature, lie, terrain conditions, how I am swinging the club all have an effect. Maybe over time it all averages out, but not necessarily.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 4:25 AM, ParHunter said:

Another thing I've noticed is that according to ShotScope I've lost 1.25 shots on my approach shots yet I've felt that was my best part yesterday. Yes I didn't have many GIR but that was due to rock hard greens. I hit a lot of greens but they all rolled off the green. 

I can also see that it seems to have counted some hybrids that I've hit as approaches. I had one hole where I hit my drive into the water on a par 5, dropped a ball and then hit a hybrid (to lay up, the green was out of reach) but it seems it counted that hybrid as an approach shot (I guess I can mark it as positional). Is shotscope marking all second shots on a par 5 as approach shots or is it because of the 'dropped ball' that it thought this is not the 3rd shot - hence an approach?

I mean, how you "feel" about a shot doesn't matter. The system knows what club you hit, where you hit it from, and where it ended up. 

As far as your approach shots, there's a "position" flag you can set when editing your round to mark a shot which was a positional shot rather than an approach shot.

• Like 1

@ParHunterAny shot longer than 50 yards from the pin is considered an approach shot, except for tee shots on par 4s and 5s. Until they come up with a new shot type, layup, 2nd shots on par 5s should be marked positional to not affect approach accuracy. Personally, if I'm going for the green with my 2nd shot on a par 5, I do NOT mark it as positional. Any shot inside 50 yards from the pin is accounted for in the Short Game area.

As a "positional shot", that shot is basically ignored and not included in the distances for that club, neither P-AVG not AVG. Some prefer not to mark shots as positional, as they prefer to have the distances of those shots include in the club data at the expense of having less accurate approach stats. It is a matter of choice.

• Thanks 1

I used the V3 for the first time this weekend. 

The good is it’s so light I almost forgot I had it on and never once did it interfere with my swing. 

The bad is the screen quality is really poor. My kids toy smart watch has a better screen. 

The ugly is I had technology overload. I played a new course with a new slope adjusted rangefinder which provided very different distances than the V3. I would then pull out my phone to check a GPS map. I spent too much time fiddling with tech. 

21 hours ago, Birdiemaker2020 said:

Amazing new feature 😉👍

Shot Scope develops innovative “Shots Plotted” feature to enhance user knowledge

This feature is soooooo good.  I really like seeing the strokes gained of various tee shots.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

On 8/12/2022 at 12:01 PM, phil75070 said:

As a "positional shot", that shot is basically ignored and not included in the distances for that club, neither P-AVG not AVG. Some prefer not to mark shots as positional, as they prefer to have the distances of those shots include in the club data at the expense of having less accurate approach stats. It is a matter of choice.

"Not included in the distances for that club" for positional shots...

You SURE about that? Looks to me like they are included in distances, but not GIR

1 hour ago, larrybud said:

"Not included in the distances for that club" for positional shots...

You SURE about that? Looks to me like they are included in distances, but not GIR

Of course, you have to mark it as positional when editing. Just the fact that it is, is not enough. From Shot Scope's support site:

A positional shot is an approach shot where you are not attempting to hit the green, instead you are intentionally playing into another part of the course. The two typical scenarios where this would occur would be:

1) On a par 5 when you can't reach the green so lay up to a suitable distance for your third shot.

2) If your drive goes into trouble and you need to play out sideways on the second shot.

By marking a shot as "Positional" it will be excluded from the "Approach' "Short Game" and "Club" stats in your performance data which means your stats stay accurate.

Edited by phil75070

1 minute ago, phil75070 said:

From Shot Scope's support site:

A positional shot is an approach shot where you are not attempting to hit the green, instead you are intentionally playing into another part of the course. The two typical scenarios where this would occur would be:

1) On a par 5 when you can't reach the green so lay up to a suitable distance for your third shot.

2) If your drive goes into trouble and you need to play out sideways on the second shot.

By marking a shot as "Positional" it will be excluded from the "Approach' "Short Game" and "Club" stats in your performance data which means your stats stay accurate.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to dig into my data deeper. My 3W is almost an exclusive "2nd shot positional" par 5 club for me and I have club distance data for it. I wouldn't really call it a "lay up", it's more of a "I can't get there but going to try to hit it as far as I can" club.