Shot Scope V3

15 hours ago, larrybud said:

Thanks for the info. I'm going to dig into my data deeper. My 3W is almost an exclusive "2nd shot positional" par 5 club for me and I have club distance data for it. I wouldn't really call it a "lay up", it's more of a "I can't get there but going to try to hit it as far as I can" club. 

Anything inside 50 yards to the pin is included in short game stats, and anything over 50 yards is considered an approach shot. So, what I do is, if I am left with a shot inside 50 yards, I do NOT mark it as positional as, that close, I was going for the green.

An easy way to tell how "Positional" works is to edit your last round, mark 3W shots "Positional", then filter the Club stats just for 1 round. No distances should be shown.

Oh, and they are working on something in regard to layup shots but no ETA.

On 8/20/2022 at 10:22 PM, ParHunter said:

The new course analysis with tee shots or approach shots plotted really is great and it gives you the SG for individual tee shots or approach shots.

Now they just have to figure out how to handle NRs and provide stats for that and I will be 100% happy.

What does NRs mean?

On 8/23/2022 at 2:21 PM, Birdiemaker2020 said:

What does NRs mean?

It is apparently what the R&A calls not submitting a score. I don't know why that would be an issue or concern with Shot Scope, as Shot Scope does not calculate handicaps or have anything else to do with handicaps for that matter. It is a data tracker and one can choose to have any round included or excluded from their accumulated stats.

On 8/24/2022 at 9:53 PM, phil75070 said:

It is apparently what the R&A calls not submitting a score. I don't know why that would be an issue or concern with Shot Scope, as Shot Scope does not calculate handicaps or have anything else to do with handicaps for that matter. It is a data tracker and one can choose to have any round included or excluded from their accumulated stats.

Yes NR is No Return, we play Stableford in most competitions so if you can’t score anymore you pick up. Up until very recent if you had an NR on one of the holes the complete round would have been ignored for the course analysis (it is still the case on the mobile app but the Website has a fix for that already)!

Not handling NRs skews the stats. None of the shots on that hole is considered and the fact that you had an NR (Double bogey or worse for most) should be considered in your stats. E.g. if you hit a few drives OOB and you have a NR on those holes, that clearly should affect the SG driving but it isn’t at the moment.

Btw you can NR a hole or a complete round but I am talking about NR on one hole here.

Edited by ParHunter

20 minutes ago, ParHunter said:

Yes NR is No Return, we play Stableford in most competitions so if you can’t score anymore you pick up. Up until very recent if you had an NR on one of the holes the complete round would have been ignored for the course analysis (it is still the case on the mobile app but the Website has a fix for that already)!

Not handling NRs skews the stats. None of the shots on that hole is considered and the fact that you had an NR (Double bogey or worse for most) should be considered in your stats. E.g. if you hit a few drives OOB and you have a NR on those holes, that clearly should affect the SG driving but it isn’t at the moment.

Btw you can NR a hole or a complete round but I am talking about NR on one hole here.

Thanks for the explanation! Being in the U.S. I didn't know how that works. What would happen if instead of using the Pick Up option, you just advanced the Watch/H4 to the next hole, leaving whatever shots you've taken on the previous hole still there?

1 minute ago, phil75070 said:

Thanks for the explanation! Being in the U.S. I didn't know how that works. What would happen if instead of using the Pick Up option, you just advanced the Watch/H4 to the next hole, leaving whatever shots you've taken on the previous hole still there?

That’s the problem, you can’t. ShotScope makes you ‘finish’ the hole. So you either invent shots and skew the stats or you delete all shots from the hole and skew the stats. It would be easy if they introduce a ‘magic club’ which is used between the point you’ve picked up and where the flag is (to get the distances) but that ‘magic club’ is not considered in any of the stats.

2 hours ago, ParHunter said:

So out of interest, do you not play Stableford in the States? Or do you just call NR different?

I've played golf for over 60 years and never had occasion to play in a Stableford tournament, always stroke play or match play. For USGA handicap purposes, when a player "picks up" and doesn't finish a hole, the score recorded is their "most likely score", or net double bogey, whichever is lower.

2 hours ago, phil75070 said:

I've played golf for over 60 years and never had occasion to play in a Stableford tournament, always stroke play or match play. For USGA handicap purposes, when a player "picks up" and doesn't finish a hole, the score recorded is their "most likely score", or net double bogey, whichever is lower.

Interesting! We do play the odd medal (Monthly medal, Club Championship) but all other comps are Stableford as it speeds up play. Our Stableford competition take about 4 hours, Medal is more 4 1/2 hours.

36 minutes ago, ParHunter said:

Interesting! We do play the odd medal (Monthly medal, Club Championship) but all other comps are Stableford as it speeds up play. Our Stableford competition take about 4 hours, Medal is more 4 1/2 hours.

My four ball plays in well under three hours. Of course, we have the first tee time on weekdays. Tournaments tend to take longer than your 4 1/2 hours, sadly.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, larrybud said:

Anybody know what the latest firmware update does? I tried to find release notes but can't find anything.

The email just mentioned minor bug fixes. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

• 4 weeks later...

How the heck do you add a penalty drop in post round editing on the web interface? Every time I do it, it adds another shot. It's probably very simple and I do 

As an example here was a hole I had today (par 4):

Shot 1: Hit drive into a red staked penalty area.

Shot 2: Penalty drop where the ball entered the penalty area.

Shot 3: 7 iron short in front of the green. 

Shot 4: chip to 10 feet. 

Shot 5: holed putt.

Should be a bogey yes? (if the answer is no, I've been cheating my whole life and should throw my clubs in the trash.) 

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

1 hour ago, Double K said:

How the heck do you add a penalty drop in post round editing on the web interface? Every time I do it, it adds another shot. It's probably very simple and I do 

As an example here was a hole I had today (par 4):

Shot 1: Hit drive into a red staked penalty area.

Shot 2: Penalty drop where the ball entered the penalty area.

Shot 3: 7 iron short in front of the green. 

Shot 4: chip to 10 feet. 

Shot 5: holed putt.

Should be a bogey yes? (if the answer is no, I've been cheating my whole life and should throw my clubs in the trash.) 

You can delete the shot (which was added automatically) after adding the penalty shot, that is how I do it.

maybe there are some better workarounds?

Edited by Birdiemaker2020

7 hours ago, Birdiemaker2020 said:

You can delete the shot (which was added automatically) after adding the penalty shot, that is how I do it.

maybe there are some better workarounds?

It is real easy to do on the course using the menu button top left, scroll to Penalties, then Drop ball. Only takes a couple of seconds. No shots get added, but no distance for the shot that incurred the penalty is recorded either, which may be the difference in the doing it in editing. I'm not 100% sure as I have been using the on course method for some time.

Edited by phil75070
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 4:37 AM, phil75070 said:

It is real easy to do on the course using the menu button top left, scroll to Penalties, then Drop ball. Only takes a couple of seconds. No shots get added, but no distance for the shot that incurred the penalty is recorded either, which may be the difference in the doing it in editing. I'm not 100% sure as I have been using the on course method for some time.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll give this a go next time out. 

Only have 45 holes on the unit so still learning the ins and outs of using it. 

Pretty happy so far. 

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

On 10/3/2022 at 9:12 AM, larrybud said:

Anybody have any issues where your watch suddenly stops reading ANY tag/shot? GPS still works.

I tried going into the "tags" mode/test in the settings and it won't recognize any tag. Seems like the RFID detection is toast 😞

FYI, seems the RFID antenna is shot. Shotscope is sending me a new watch band (the antenna is in one of the straps).

6 hours ago, larrybud said:

FYI, seems the RFID antenna is shot. Shotscope is sending me a new watch band (the antenna is in one of the straps).

You will get the new strap with a tool to remove the old and attach the new. Before you do that, check that the screws on the old strap that connects to the top of the watch, the one with the antenna, are tight. A guy on their Facebook page found that if that strap comes loose, the electrical connection between the antenna and the watch gets "lost" and no tags will be sensed.

Of course, a cracked or broken antenna inside that strap could also cause problems.

13 minutes ago, phil75070 said:

You will get the new strap with a tool to remove the old and attach the new. Before you do that, check that the screws on the old strap that connects to the top of the watch, the one with the antenna, are tight. A guy on their Facebook page found that if that strap comes loose, the electrical connection between the antenna and the watch gets "lost" and no tags will be sensed.

Of course, a cracked or broken antenna inside that strap could also cause problems.

Yep, tech support already had me do that. When you take the strap off, you can see the two connections which it makes to the watch itself from the antenna. RFID antennas of this variety are just flat copper loops, so the loop is broken. I put a meter on the antenna as well and it's an open circuit, so that confirmed that!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Would someone mind saving me reading through 28 pages and fill me in? 😍

I've just got a V3 and since I'm using manual putt tracking, I need to turn watch to manual putt mode, click the button at each putt location, then click the flag button when I'm over the hole after holing out correct?

After my first round a lot of the putt locations where wacky, I assume because the GPS isn't that accurate.

So what is the solution? Pacing off each putt and writing it down on a score card then fixing it after the round?

The auto putt tracking doesn't really work right?

9 hours ago, mc2 said:

I've just got a V3 and since I'm using manual putt tracking, I need to turn watch to manual putt mode, click the button at each putt location, then click the flag button when I'm over the hole after holing out correct?

After my first round a lot of the putt locations where wacky, I assume because the GPS isn't that accurate.

So what is the solution? Pacing off each putt and writing it down on a score card then fixing it after the round?

You've got the manual process down pat. I've used both methods and really can't say that one or the other is more accurate, as GPS is what it is. I just try to remember roughly how far from the hole I was on my first putt, and being able to use the "Tap In" function is a big improvement from trying to drag that last short putt close to the hole to reflect the real distance.

9 hours ago, mc2 said:

I have used the auto putting since day one and I'm good with it. Never used the many manual. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

6 hours ago, phil75070 said:

You've got the manual process down pat. I've used both methods and really can't say that one or the other is more accurate, as GPS is what it is. I just try to remember roughly how far from the hole I was on my first putt, and being able to use the "Tap In" function is a big improvement from trying to drag that last short putt close to the hole to reflect the real distance.

5 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

I have used the auto putting since day one and I'm good with it. Never used the many manual. 

With auto mode how many putts is it missing though?

Which method overall is the easiest?

What is the tap in feature? I wasn't aware of that, is that on the dashboard/editing?

8 hours ago, mc2 said:

With auto mode how many putts is it missing though?

Which method overall is the easiest?

What is the tap in feature? I wasn't aware of that, is that on the dashboard/editing?

Not missing any putts in auto mode as long as you tap the button corresponding to the number of times you USED the putter, not just the number of official "putts" taken on the green.

Auto is probably "easiest" as it only takes one interaction with the watch, when you hit the number corresponding to the number of times you USED the putter.

In editing, whenever you select the last putt taken on a hole, there is a "Tap In" button that appears on the overhead view. Select it and select long or short relative to its position to the hole. That putt has to be "selected" though by tapping on it on the overhead with the mouse, or tapping on it in the shot list below. That Tap In option will not appear if you haven't correctly selected the putt.

7 hours ago, phil75070 said:

Not missing any putts in auto mode as long as you tap the button corresponding to the number of times you USED the putter, not just the number of official "putts" taken on the green.

Auto is probably "easiest" as it only takes one interaction with the watch, when you hit the number corresponding to the number of times you USED the putter.

In editing, whenever you select the last putt taken on a hole, there is a "Tap In" button that appears on the overhead view. Select it and select long or short relative to its position to the hole. That putt has to be "selected" though by tapping on it on the overhead with the mouse, or tapping on it in the shot list below. That Tap In option will not appear if you haven't correctly selected the putt.

Thanks this is a great help

10 hours ago, Planestress said:

Has anyone had problems where holes are not recorded?  My watch is a little over a year old and it's missing more holes in the last month or so.  And it always seems to be missing my rare good ones🤨

I've had my V3 since mid-July of 2020 and have used it for roughly 400 rounds and have not had that issue even once. Sorry!

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone explain to me the 'short tap in' and 'long tap on' options?

Is that referring to the distance of the tap in?

or is it referring to the shot before, was it a tap in from a putt that was left short, or a tap in from a putt that was long?

7 rounds into owning a Shotscope and loving the data. What I need to work on in my game is the opposite of what I thought it was. Blew my mind a little bit 

• Like 2