Shot Scope V3

Hi Phil:

Manual putt mode does work as you suggested.

1) If you are off the green and you want to use your putter in manual mode--no tag putter..  Walk onto the green until putt mode displays.  Then walk to your ball, select 1 putt, then putt.

2) If you are off the green and putt mode is displayed, walk a little more away from the green and a "X" will display in the upper left corner.  Select the X and this will take you out of putt mode.  Return to your ball and play the club you would like to play.

I have yet to encounter a situation where the above did not work in the 1 round that I have tried this technique.

I posed the same question to ShotScope before you responded but they seemed to have no idea how the system worked.  Kinda disappointing consider the their much celebrated customer service.

Don

• Like 1

With the V3 (watch), you can always get to the Pin Collect screen by unlocking the watch, using the menu button (top left) then scrolling through the options using the bottom two buttons. Always remember to confirm your choice using the top right button next to the check mark. I'm never concerned about chipping from off the green with another club if the Pin Collect screen is showing as the watch still registers the club in hand. I've never bothered to get out of the Pin Collect screen, but have needed to display it if it doesn't show while standing on the green.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get better putting stats?  I play right handed, but putt left handed so I have to remember to tap the band with the putter to get it to register the club.  But I get most putts registered at 2 ft.  Also the pin position is not accurate but my memory's not good enough to recreate the position of the hole and my putts.  I've tried the manual mode a couple times but got a number of putts with no distances??  I'm OK with lousy putting stats because my biggest problem currently is just way too many 3 putts.  But all the 2 ft putts are artificially improving my short game stats I think.

Thanks in advance.

39 minutes ago, Planestress said:

Does anyone have any suggestions to get better putting stats?  I play right handed, but putt left handed so I have to remember to tap the band with the putter to get it to register the club.  But I get most putts registered at 2 ft.  Also the pin position is not accurate but my memory's not good enough to recreate the position of the hole and my putts.  I've tried the manual mode a couple times but got a number of putts with no distances??  I'm OK with lousy putting stats because my biggest problem currently is just way too many 3 putts.  But all the 2 ft putts are artificially improving my short game stats I think.

Thanks in advance.

Write down the distance of the first putt on your score card.   You can edit after the round.

15 hours ago, Planestress said:

Thanks in advance.

If manual mode doesn't work for you, which is what I was going to suggest, try exaggerating your practice swing(s) with the putter after tapping the band.

I've tried the exaggerated practice swing in the spot of my ball. Usually wakes up the watch and it records the spot.

Not perfect and I do feel like that nonsense isn't ideally for a good putting routine.

In the end, my best solution is

Notebook in pocket or cart. Draw a circle to represent green. Mark pin location and my putt locations. Quick numbers for distance.

Takes 5-10 seconds per hole.

Then post round fix up putt/pin locations in web dashboard.

Most holes are reasonable accurate and not much fixing is needed.

Attached is example of notes.

20220528_091137.jpg

I'm not concerned much with that degree of accuracy, as the granularity of 3' ranges and the inherent inaccuracy of GPS makes those kinds of stats somewhat meaningless. Add to that the difficulty of getting putt distances around the hole very accurate with the current editing tool. What's important to me in the putting stats currently are putts/round, putts per GIR and frequency of 3-putts. Make percentage in those 3' buckets is the least of my concerns and not worth the effort for me that you, @CFAnPEI are putting in. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, dgbarar said:

Hello All,

I want to re-assign my 4 hybrid from the H1 tag to the 4 iron tag.    Has anyone tried a tag swap?  Will the data collected under the H1 tag move to the 4 iron tag?

Don

The data is attached to the club, not the tag associated with it. I had to use one of the "X" tags for a while when my GW tag went bad. No loss of data past or future.

Edited by phil75070

Just got a V3 as they were on sale for Father's Day. Nice piece of kit. Haven't played with it yet or anything, but I'm very impressed with the quality of the watch and the app seems decent too. Only niggle was setting it up. Had to do it twice as the first time it got hung up. Would love to see an accessory where you could use it without the band at times, but I can probably figure out something like that myself.

4 hours ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

Just got a V3 as they were on sale for Father's Day. Nice piece of kit. Haven't played with it yet or anything, but I'm very impressed with the quality of the watch and the app seems decent too. Only niggle was setting it up. Had to do it twice as the first time it got hung up. Would love to see an accessory where you could use it without the band at times, but I can probably figure out something like that myself.

the bracelet in V3 is the one that feels the tags on the clubs, right?

4 hours ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

Get the H4. Granted can’t turn that into a watch

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

22 hours ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

The watch band, the one that connects on the top of the watch, is what senses the tag. You cannot use the watch without the watch band, and you cannot reverse the bands. Shot Scope recently came out with an "H4" that is carried in the pocket or worn on the belt. You have to "tag" the device with the tag on the club, and it provides vibration feedback to let you know the club has been recognized.

1 hour ago, phil75070 said:

The watch band, the one that connects on the top of the watch, is what senses the tag. You cannot use the watch without the watch band, and you cannot reverse the bands. Shot Scope recently came out with an "H4" that is carried in the pocket or worn on the belt. You have to "tag" the device with the tag on the club, and it provides vibration feedback to let you know the club has been recognized.

Yeah, I figured that out after looking more deeply at the specs. I was mainly just doing some wishful thinking. I'm familiar with the H4, but it would be cool if they had a device that could convert between the two styles.

Hi,

I've played my first round with my ShotScope. This happened to be a 4-ball better ball against another club. I had two bad drives which according to my local playing partners should be in play only to be never found again. As this was a better ball and my playing partner was on the fairway I used the 'Pickup' feature of the watch.

When I look at my Strokes Gained for the day it shows me I've lost 0.05 shots against my target (10hdc) yet I had two drives cost me the holes. I know as there is no data to calculate the SG they can't display anything yet it is totally misleading. How do you handle cases like these? I can't make up shots as that would skew the other parts. 

Another thing I've noticed is that according to ShotScope I've lost 1.25 shots on my approach shots yet I've felt that was my best part yesterday. Yes I didn't have many GIR but that was due to rock hard greens. I hit a lot of greens but they all rolled off the green. 

I can also see that it seems to have counted some hybrids that I've hit as approaches. I had one hole where I hit my drive into the water on a par 5, dropped a ball and then hit a hybrid (to lay up, the green was out of reach) but it seems it counted that hybrid as an approach shot (I guess I can mark it as positional). Is shotscope marking all second shots on a par 5 as approach shots or is it because of the 'dropped ball' that it thought this is not the 3rd shot - hence an approach?

Haven't really checked out the shot tracking just yet (haven't uploaded the 2 rounds I've played since getting it which were atypically bad), but I will say that the GPS features are fantastic. Much easier than fooling with my Samsung watch on the course and more accurate since I don't keep my phone in my pocket. Watch is comfortable and I really don't notice it while playing. About the same weight or a touch lighter than my Samsung. The screen is easy to read and doesn't fall victim to glare. So far so good across the board. For $170 (as of when I bought it), this is a no brainer for anyone looking for a GPS solution.

I was positively surprised by the GPS accuracy as well. It wasn't always spot on but I remember with GameGolf getting the odd 'way-out' as in 'playing on a field next to the club' locations.

I have enabled the L1+L5 options under GPS. Not sure whether or not that made a difference as I don't have anything to compare it to.

I've gotten a response from ShotScope support (very quick I have to say). It seems the 2nd shot on a par 5 is treated as an approach as some people can reach the green in two. So for us mere mortals who can't, it means we have to always tick 'positional' on the 2nd shot of a par 5. They could do that via a user preference IMHO.

• Like 1

Hi PH:

The other thing you can do to change whether-or-not a shot is counted as positional or approach is to change the filtering distance in the Approach Screen.  It's default is set to 225 yards.  But you could lower it some other number.  I have mine set at 200 yards.  See attached.

Don

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 4.30.44 PM.png

Edited by dgbarar
  • Like 2

One problem with marking the 2nd shot on par 5s as positional is that these shots will not be included in the club stats either. I normally only hit my 3w or 3h on par 5 or on some tee shots (but there it is teed up). So if those full 2nd shots on a par 5 are always treated as positional you will never build up a reliable club stats off the fairway (or rough) for those clubs.

Dgbarar, would the filter also exclude it from the Stokes Gained calculation?

Edited by ParHunter

Hi Par Hunter,

Hard to say what calculations are going on inside the Dashboard.  My impression is that shots that are outside the distance just impacts Approach Accuracy calculation and does not impact the club performance calculation.  Not certain how the distance filter impacts Strokes Gained.

These question might be best asked of ShotScope.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

15 games later since I started using Shot Scope, I went on barely being a 10 handicapper on strokes gained to gaining 1 stroke against a 5 handicapper. All thanks to Strokes Gained stats, I focused on devoting my very little free time to practice on my short game and putting where I was losing strokes. Unlike before where I just kept on banging my driver. And all of this was achieved while playing once a week every Saturday morning. I can definitely say that this is the best golf purchase I have made, in a really long time. 

It made me really aware of what I needed to work on. It made me confident that what I was working on was indeed going to help my game and I was not wasting time. It is not perfect for sure. But with a bit of patience on taking notes on how far my actual putts are by pacing them and editing after game, it is definitely worth the money. 

I also adjusted with the way I hit approach shots. Since I am like most amateurs who comes up short on approach shots. I finally embraced clubbing up and it drastically increased my gir without really changing anything with my golf swing. I also have lost interest in changing drivers a lot. lol Because I can see that I am gaining strokes with my current driver and that it is fine and enough for what I need to do. 

Edited by msg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1