Shot Scope V3

19 minutes ago, el h0zel said:

You are correct. I was just pointing out that other wearable industries are investing in the tech already so there is momentum there 🙂

Gotcha...let's hope so!

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

I had my first round today with the V3 and all I can say is that I'm super frustrated with the tracking of shots and the app. 

There are so many errors on this round, both full shots and putts. The putts I understand, because I didn't really have the hang of the Pin Collect deal. I thought I was doing it correctly but I apparently wasn't. 

What I can't handle are the shots from adjacent holes that are being assigned to holes I've already played. The course we were on has a lot of these situations. It makes no sense that the watch would assume that I would finish a hole, tee off on the next hole, and then for some reason hit another shot on the prior hole. Once a hole is marked as complete the software should leave it alone. 

The most annoying thing of all is that I've started the tedious process of correcting my round in the phone app, but it doesn't save my progress as I go. Every time I get a phone call it kicks me out of the app and I have to start all over again. 

I'm really glad I didn't sell my Garmin watch yet. If I can't figure out how to manage this one better it's going back. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

9 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I had my first round today with the V3 and all I can say is that I'm super frustrated with the tracking of shots and the app. 

There are so many errors on this round, both full shots and putts. The putts I understand, because I didn't really have the hang of the Pin Collect deal. I thought I was doing it correctly but I apparently wasn't. 

What I can't handle are the shots from adjacent holes that are being assigned to holes I've already played. The course we were on has a lot of these situations. It makes no sense that the watch would assume that I would finish a hole, tee off on the next hole, and then for some reason hit another shot on the prior hole. Once a hole is marked as complete the software should leave it alone. 

The most annoying thing of all is that I've started the tedious process of correcting my round in the phone app, but it doesn't save my progress as I go. Every time I get a phone call it kicks me out of the app and I have to start all over again. 

I'm really glad I didn't sell my Garmin watch yet. If I can't figure out how to manage this one better it's going back. 

I'll say if you weren't hitting the Pin Collect button then that is probably why it would show shots on other holes. Basically that Pin Collect ends that hole and moves to the next. 

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

8 minutes ago, bhj83 said:

I'll say if you weren't hitting the Pin Collect button then that is probably why it would show shots on other holes. Basically that Pin Collect ends that hole and moves to the next. 

Okay, here's why I think the Pin Collect was confusing me. I had the putting set to "Manual." I would enter the number of putts I had on the hole while I was getting my ball from the up. However, the only button that would clear that putting screen was the "Pick Up" button. To me, Pick Up suggests that I gave up on the hole without holing out. Is that Shotscope's way of saying "enter" on the number of putts I took? 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

7 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Okay, here's why I think the Pin Collect was confusing me. I had the putting set to "Manual." I would enter the number of putts I had on the hole while I was getting my ball from the up. However, the only button that would clear that putting screen was the "Pick Up" button. To me, Pick Up suggests that I gave up on the hole without holing out. Is that Shotscope's way of saying "enter" on the number of putts I took? 

I haven't used manual mode in a long time but I think that's right. You're basically tapping the button every time you putt right? I'd recommend just trying auto putt and remembering to actually tap the putter tag to the watch before each putt. Easier for me to remember that rather than actually pressing a button each time. 

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

4 minutes ago, bhj83 said:

I haven't used manual mode in a long time but I think that's right. You're basically tapping the button every time you putt right? I'd recommend just trying auto putt and remembering to actually tap the putter tag to the watch before each putt. Easier for me to remember that rather than actually pressing a button each time. 

No, I was just waiting until I'd holed out and entering one, two or (eek) three thinking I was telling the watch how many putts I'd had for the hole. You're saying that Auto mode should know when I've taken a stroke, and with Manual mode I should tap 1 after each putt? 

Apologies for the questions, but I can't find a good description of this online anywhere. 

Edited by me05501

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

2 minutes ago, me05501 said:

No, I was just waiting until I'd holed out and entering one, two or (eek) three thinking I was telling the watch how many putts I'd had for the hole. You're saying that Auto mode should know when I've taken a stroke, and with Manual mode I should tap 1 after each putt? 

Apologies for the questions, but I can't find a good description of this online anywhere. 

In theory auto mode should detect the putt but it doesn't work well for me all the time. So I just try to remember to tap the putter sensor on the watch right before I putt. 

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

4 minutes ago, me05501 said:

https://support.shotscope.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001052678-What-is-Manual-Putt-mode-and-how-do-I-change-from-Automatic-putting-to-Manual-Putting-

To record the position of a putt press the top right button (+) whilst standing above your ball before each putt. Continue this process until you have holed your ball. A maximum of 4 putts can be recorded. Before removing your ball from the hole you would stand over the hole and press the bottom right button (Pin icon) to record the pin location on that hole. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

2 minutes ago, bhj83 said:

https://support.shotscope.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001052678-What-is-Manual-Putt-mode-and-how-do-I-change-from-Automatic-putting-to-Manual-Putting-

To record the position of a putt press the top right button (+) whilst standing above your ball before each putt. Continue this process until you have holed your ball. A maximum of 4 putts can be recorded. Before removing your ball from the hole you would stand over the hole and press the bottom right button (Pin icon) to record the pin location on that hole. 

Gotcha. 

Since I was in Manual mode I never saw the Pin Collect icon on the green. I assume that I'll see it next time now that I'm in Auto mode. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

8 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Gotcha. 

Since I was in Manual mode I never saw the Pin Collect icon on the green. I assume that I'll see it next time now that I'm in Auto mode. 

Yep, in auto mode you'll see the Pin Collect screen and when you get done putting right after you pick your ball up out of the hole you select how many times you used your putter. This would include off the green as it should get mapped to off the green and not count in your putting stats. But even in auto mode it doesn't end up picking up your putts all of the time so you may see a bunch of 2 ft putts. If you had 2 putts on one hole and they show up as both 2 ft putts when you're editing, that means the watch didn't pick up when you made a putting stroke. The easiest way I've found to ensure most putts get tagged is to literally tap the putter tag on the putter to the watch strap. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

Gotcha. 

This is not correct. I use manual mode for every round marking the location of the put with the top right button and the pin location with the bottom right "Pin Collect" button. 

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite and furthermore, always carry a small snake. 

6 minutes ago, el h0zel said:

This is not correct. I use manual mode for every round marking the location of the put with the top right button and the pin location with the bottom right "Pin Collect" button. 

Okay, so your routine is:

- Tap the upper right button before each putt

- Tap the lower right button near the hole once you've holed out? 

I don't remember what icon was beside my lower right button, but it looked like a zero. Maybe it's supposed to be a circle to represent the green? 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

16 hours ago, me05501 said:

I don't remember what icon was beside my lower right button, but it looked like a zero. Maybe it's supposed to be a circle to represent the green? 

In manual mode you have the steps correct. You tap the upper right button each time you use the putter whether you are on or off the green. Then, once you hole out, standing over the hole, you tap the bottom right button which should have a flag icon next to it.

In auto mode, and I am assuming you have the putter tag installed on your putter (not needed in manual mode), it will automatically detect each time you use the putter and not button pushes are required until you hole out. Them standing over the hole you push the button that corresponds to the number of times you used the putter on that hole, with 1 being upper left, 2 being upper right, 3 being lower left and a > on the bottom right to take you to another screen where you can select 4 or 0 (incase you chipped in and never used the putter).

I also assume you know how to switch between those two modes on the watch.

• Like 3

Thanks all. I'll have four rounds with it this weekend on a guys trip so hopefully I'll get it sorted. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, phil75070 said:

In manual mode you have the steps correct. You tap the upper right button each time you use the putter whether you are on or off the green. Then, once you hole out, standing over the hole, you tap the bottom right button which should have a flag icon next to it.

In auto mode, and I am assuming you have the putter tag installed on your putter (not needed in manual mode), it will automatically detect each time you use the putter and not button pushes are required until you hole out. Them standing over the hole you push the button that corresponds to the number of times you used the putter on that hole, with 1 being upper left, 2 being upper right, 3 being lower left and a > on the bottom right to take you to another screen where you can select 4 or 0 (incase you chipped in and never used the putter).

I also assume you know how to switch between those two modes on the watch.

I have been doing it wrong as well.  I was recording putts on the green not times I used putter.  Will change that and see if I have fewer edits to make post round.

26 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I have been doing it wrong as well.  I was recording putts on the green not times I used putter.  Will change that and see if I have fewer edits to make post round.

Then the putting edits, for the most part, are when the location is close to the edge as GPS accuracy isn't good enough to get that precise. If you use the putter from off the green it is considered a "short game" shot, a chip, and not a "putt".

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, phil75070 said:

Then the putting edits, for the most part, are when the location is close to the edge as GPS accuracy isn't good enough to get that precise. If you use the putter from off the green it is considered a "short game" shot, a chip, and not a "putt".

Yes.  That crops up frequently because of the smallish greens we have around here.  Lots of 10 yard wide or 10 yard deep greens.

On 9/30/2021 at 2:30 PM, me05501 said:

You got it! I try to do it every time I mark my ball. If a putt is conceded or is a gimme I will hit the top button and the bottom right at the same spot right over my ball since I'm not concerned about 1-2 foot discrepancies for those. I was spending way too much time post round trying to edit the auto putt detection and am finding that this works pretty well for the putt range buckets shot scope uses for metrics. 

Hopefully you enjoyed your trip and didn't have to think too much about the watch 🙂

Edited by el h0zel
  • Like 1

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite and furthermore, always carry a small snake. 

52 minutes ago, el h0zel said:

You got it! I try to do it every time I mark my ball. If a putt is conceded or is a gimme I will hit the top button and the bottom right at the same spot right over my ball since I'm not concerned about 1-2 foot discrepancies for those. I was spending way too much time post round trying to edit the auto putt detection and am finding that this works pretty well for the putt range buckets shot scope uses for metrics. 

Hopefully you enjoyed your trip and didn't have to think too much about the watch 🙂

Thanks! I mostly was able to forget about it. The format of the event (and the fact that the watch couldn't find one of the courses we played) meant that I didn't collect as much data as I would like to have collected. 

As I'm editing the rounds, I am thinking of a couple of shortcomings with this system that seem easily correctable. 

• The watch should keep the player's score, period. 
  • If players are going to have to manually to register putts (whether manual mode or auto w/ pin collect) there should also be a quick and easy way to manually register other strokes that aren't going to be detected by the device, like penalty strokes or drops from a hazard. 

Lack of scoring on the device is a big reason why editing is such a pain. If the device knew the score, and it also knew what it had collected, it could assist in finding the missing strokes. It could highlight the holes where you failed to use Pin Collect, or it could suggest that maybe a penalty stroke is missing when it knows you hit your second shot near OB or water.

Since it doesn't know your score, all it can provide to you is what it collected automatically, and unless you have a detailed scorecard available you're relying on your memory. 

I'm so used to keeping score on my watch that I rarely use a scorecard unless I'm in a money game. 

The allure of having a season's worth of Strokes Gained data is appealing, but if I keep using this device my two choices will be A) keeping copious on-course notes and spending fifteen minutes correcting every round, or B) not trusting the data. I'm not sure either of those appeals to me. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

3 hours ago, me05501 said:

The allure of having a season's worth of Strokes Gained data is appealing, but if I keep using this device my two choices will be A) keeping copious on-course notes and spending fifteen minutes correcting every round, or B) not trusting the data. I'm not sure either of those appeals to me. 

I take no notes on the course and it doesn't take me anywhere near even 15 minutes to edit my rounds. You are aware that you can add penalty strokes and drops during the round? I, personally, rarely see a stroke missed or added and I have no problem remembering every shot I hit until at least my next round. I have personal experience now with Game Golf, Golf Pad and Shot Scope. I admit I've never used Arccos and know only what I have read others say about it. I think Shot scope is better than the others I've used and probably as good or better than Arccos. None of the others that I have used keep one's  score, IIRC, and I don't believe Arccos does either. I think if score keeping is that critical for you there may be other devices that can do what you are looking for.

5 minutes ago, phil75070 said:

I take no notes on the course and it doesn't take me anywhere near even 15 minutes to edit my rounds. You are aware that you can add penalty strokes and drops during the round? I, personally, rarely see a stroke missed or added and I have no problem remembering every shot I hit until at least my next round. I have personal experience now with Game Golf, Golf Pad and Shot Scope. I admit I've never used Arccos and know only what I have read others say about it. I think Shot scope is better than the others I've used and probably as good or better than Arccos. None of the others that I have used keep one's  score, IIRC, and I don't believe Arccos does either. I think if score keeping is that critical for you there may be other devices that can do what you are looking for.

I think so too, but my main point is that adding a scorekeeping element to ShotScope would really help users find whatever missing strokes there may have been during a synched round. 

I think if you play once a week and make synching/editing your round a part of your post-round routine it is probably not an issue. This weekend I played four different courses over four days, and trying to edit those rounds on Tuesday morning left me wanting a lot more help finding the stray shots. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

This weekend I played four different courses over four days, and trying to edit those rounds on Tuesday morning left me wanting a lot more help finding the stray shots. 

I can see where that would be an issue if you wait until trying to edit after four rounds, especially after playing different courses.

The question I have is why are strokes being missed? The only strokes missed for me are if I chunk a chip or bunker shot, or where there is a severe slope and a chip that doesn't make the crest comes back right to my feet so in those instances the ball  doesn't travel far enough for the watch to recognize a shot has been taken instead of a practice swing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phil75070 said:

I can see where that would be an issue if you wait until trying to edit after four rounds, especially after playing different courses.

The question I have is why are strokes being missed? The only strokes missed for me are if I chunk a chip or bunker shot, or where there is a severe slope and a chip that doesn't make the crest comes back right to my feet so in those instances the ball  doesn't travel far enough for the watch to recognize a shot has been taken instead of a practice swing.

It would be nice to be able to confirm your score for each hole on the watch but I am curious to know why/where it's dropping shots him. 

Outside of the situations you described, I also have it pick up extras if I grab multiple clubs for a walk across the fairway

10 hours ago, el h0zel said:

It would be nice to be able to confirm your score for each hole on the watch but I am curious to know why/where it's dropping shots him. 

Outside of the situations you described, I also have it pick up extras if I grab multiple clubs for a walk across the fairway

I guess it's too early to notice any pattern of dropped shots.

Forgetting to use Pin Collect probably accounts for several lost shots per round.  

I was definitely not capturing drops from OB or hazards. I was on unfamiliar courses over the weekend so there were more of those than usual. 

Obviously there's no way for the watch to automatically catch a drop, but I'm not crazy about the idea of manually entering it when I'm already hot and probably slowing down the foursome after finding the wrong side of the stakes. Maybe I can tie that process to an intention of putting the poor shot behind me and focusing on the next one.  

I do check to see that the watch has recognized the club I'm about to swing. It's been quite reliable on that front. 

I have until 10/31 to return the device so I'll continue to use it through the month and come to some conclusion. I love the idea of having a lot of data on each club and each facet of my game, but that's only going to happen if I accurately edit and save each round. 

A playing partner uses his Garmin watch with their app to record each club hit manually vs. automatically. That seems less than ideal to me as well, but he is in a groove with it and doesn't mind at all. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

6 hours ago, me05501 said:

I guess it's too early to notice any pattern of dropped shots.

Forgetting to use Pin Collect probably accounts for several lost shots per round.  

I was definitely not capturing drops from OB or hazards. I was on unfamiliar courses over the weekend so there were more of those than usual. 

Obviously there's no way for the watch to automatically catch a drop, but I'm not crazy about the idea of manually entering it when I'm already hot and probably slowing down the foursome after finding the wrong side of the stakes. Maybe I can tie that process to an intention of putting the poor shot behind me and focusing on the next one.  

I do check to see that the watch has recognized the club I'm about to swing. It's been quite reliable on that front. 

I have until 10/31 to return the device so I'll continue to use it through the month and come to some conclusion. I love the idea of having a lot of data on each club and each facet of my game, but that's only going to happen if I accurately edit and save each round. 

A playing partner uses his Garmin watch with their app to record each club hit manually vs. automatically. That seems less than ideal to me as well, but he is in a groove with it and doesn't mind at all. 

If you happen to have an apple watch...the v1 game app is pretty rock solid as well. Takes a bit getting used to their app layout and they don't have a web interface but another option for you. 

On 10/5/2021 at 9:32 PM, el h0zel said:

I also have it pick up extras if I grab multiple clubs for a walk across the fairway

I just make sure when I grab a club or multiple clubs from the bag I hold then well down the shaft near the hosel until I select the club I am going to use. I think Arccos recommends holding the clubs upside down, or at least they used to.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is 100% accurate, but it seems like tapping the club tag on the little black plastic tab on the inside of the wristband indicates to the watch that you're about to use that club. It has worked for me several times. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

I don't know if this is 100% accurate, but it seems like tapping the club tag on the little black plastic tab on the inside of the wristband indicates to the watch that you're about to use that club. It has worked for me several times. 

This definitely works. Part of my pre shot routine now lol

You are not alone. A lot of people do that. I have never found it necessary but maybe I should start doing it on tap-in putts, Currently, the watch does a poor job of sensing those really short putts. By recording the number of times I used the putter while standing over the hole it records that last put as being from 2'.

5 minutes ago, phil75070 said:

You are not alone. A lot of people do that. I have never found it necessary but maybe I should start doing it on tap-in putts, Currently, the watch does a poor job of sensing those really short putts. By recording the number of times I used the putter while standing over the hole it records that last put as being from 2'.

It's not really going to be accurate enough to do anything under 2 ft. I typically tap the tag to the watch on anything outside 2 ft and then I just don't worry about tap ins as I know they'll be recorded as 2 ft putts when I use pin collect. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9*

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Titleist ProV1X