2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ever Notice Who Rides in Golf Carts?

rony

I play over 60 rounds a year so I'm on the course quite a bit. I play at many different courses. I'm 66, 5'7", 145 Lbs. Not an ounce of fat on me and I have weighed the same since I was 17 years old. I walk all rounds with a Sun Mountain Speed Cart. It has been my observation, and surprisingly so, that the players that I see in Golf Carts, are usually the guys between 30 and 50 years old. I can't count the number of times these fellows will say to me, "I usually walk but I just had knee surgery, or threw my back out, or just had a hernia operation." Right? If you're a walker, you always hear that. "Bull Butter"! These guys are almost always overweight and out of shape. Conversely, most of the older golfers seem to walk. Is it because we're more cognizant of the health benefits of walking the course or is it the "Fixed Income" that makes many seniors a bit more frugal. I'm in great shape anyhow and don't really have to walk to keep in shape. I have a Super Fast Matabolism, and just don't ever gain weight. I eat well so I maintain my weight. Actually, I walk because I play better when I walk, and my games is stronger now than it was when I was in my 50's. (That's probably because I'm able to play more). I'm one of those golfers who needs that walk between shots to set up the next one and figure out which club to pull. Riding around in those damn carts, distracts me. How about you other seniors? :russian_roulette:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 29 and ride at my home club and walk most of the time in tournaments. I ride because I have a cart pass and my group will fly around the course. We play 18 holes in just 2 1/2 hours after work and walking would just slow us down. If i'm going to play in a touranment or we go play another track thats busy we will walk for sure. I ride because its convenient. I go to the gym if I want a workout. I go to the golf course to practice and play golf.

Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch

Yes, I also notice the riders are mostly young to middle aged "golfers".
I used to carry my own bag until 2 years ago, I switch to a speed cart after my shoulder injury.
We have hilly golf courses around here and it's a work out after 18 holes. When I was younger, I walked 45 holes in one Summer day on a course famous for it's hilly terrain carried my golf bag; I'm glad I did it because I could only do that in my dream now without the risk of seriously hurting myself.
My advise to those that could still walk a 18, do it; becuase you should enjoy golf this way. Don't wait, one day you'll wish you had.

Of course there are many valid reasons for golfers to use golf carts. I certainly did not mean to imply that those who require a golf cart, for whatever reason, should not use them. I just feel that as long as I am healthy and fit, I'm going to walk. Perhaps the day will come when I too need to use a cart. But as long as I can walk 18 holes without any discomfort.......I'm walking! In my view, that's how you get the TOTAL benefit of playing 18 holes. :russian_roulette:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Personally I have walked about nine holes in 30 years.

Actually the last time I did in regular walking was at Wausau CC back in the seventys and we had caddys I prefered walking with a caddy back then.

At my course they have private carts (I do not as I do not live on the course) and 95 percent of the members ride all the time.

None of my regular playing partners guys between 30 and 65 walk.

Maybe its the heat down here I do not know.

Personally I have always thought it was funny when people complained about carts. I for one did not take up golf for the excercise.

I am not going to say that there are excuses for riding when alot of the older folks like to walk. I bet that most of the older folks rode carts until their first heart attacks or other health problems popped up and there doctors told them they HAVE to excercise. I am 42 years old not in the best shape and I love to golf... If I walk I can only get in 9 holes because I am fat and out of shape... If I was the same weight that I was in high school walking would be no problem.... NOT EVERYONE IS AS HEALTH CONCIOUS AS SOME... But they still love to golf. A wise man once told me not to judge a person until you walk a mile in their golf shoes... I try to follow his advise.

Eric

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' post='820124' date='Dec 11 2007, 10:06 AM']Another post about what other people do, and insinuation that if it is not the same as you it is not quite right. Who the F cares whether you walk or not? or why?

Thought seniors would be above the judgement thing... guess age can't really measure maturity.[/quote]

:) [size=5][color="#000080"][[sup]b]Testify[/b][/sup][/color][/size]

there is nothing i would rather do than walk. However... many upscale courses in northern virginia/maryland have huge distances between holes (river creek cc in leesburg va is like 183 miles between some holes) (ok, that was an exaggeration). and it is ridiculous to try to walk those just from green to the next tee. that being said, there are also a lot of the publics that are easy to walk and i do, but i won't if i am playing 18 with my 75 year old father in law, but yes for 9. since i play with him a lot i have to ride with him as that is better for him. also some of the guys i play with are a bit heavy.

I would also guess i shoot about 5 better when i walk than ride. say, 90 vs. 95 on the same course. not sure why, but that is the main consistent thing i have noticed on 18 holes at the same course.

I had back surgery and i walk, i have a bum foot and i walk. just make sure the bag isn't loaded up too much and walk at least 9! peter

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' post='820124' date='Dec 11 2007, 10:06 AM']Another post about what other people do, and insinuation that if it is not the same as you it is not quite right. Who the F cares whether you walk or not? or why?

Thought seniors would be above the judgement thing... guess age can't really measure maturity.[/quote]

I see. So you would have us believe that posting something like "Who the F cares"; is an indication of good manners and maturity?

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='rony' post='820137' date='Dec 11 2007, 07:20 AM'][quote name='Solutions Etcetera' post='820124' date='Dec 11 2007, 10:06 AM']Another post about what other people do, and insinuation that if it is not the same as you it is not quite right. Who the F cares whether you walk or not? or why?

I see. So you would have us believe that posting something like "Who the F cares"; is an indication of good manners and maturity?
[/quote]
Obviously not. I am just getting a little sensitive to posts that start out "saw this Japanese guy on the course with real expensive gear..." or "ever notice the fat lazy guys that ride in carts".

There just seem to be so many of these posts I seem to have developed a reactionary tendency to them.

If your ever up my way you're certainly welcome to walk my home course, but bring your hiking gear as you will need it.

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' post='820309' date='Dec 11 2007, 12:28 PM'][quote name='rony' post='820137' date='Dec 11 2007, 07:20 AM'][quote name='Solutions Etcetera' post='820124' date='Dec 11 2007, 10:06 AM']Another post about what other people do, and insinuation that if it is not the same as you it is not quite right. Who the F cares whether you walk or not? or why?

[/quote]
Obviously not. I am just getting a little sensitive to posts that start out "saw this Japanese guy on the course with real expensive gear..." or "ever notice the fat lazy guys that ride in carts".

There just seem to be so many of these posts I seem to have developed a reactionary tendency to them.

If your ever up my way you're certainly welcome to walk my home course, but bring your hiking gear as you will need it.
[/quote]

Know Colorado very well. I play a good deal of golf out there as my middle Son lives in Fort Collins and is a low capper who plays over 50 rounds a year. Played in Silverthorne, Breckenridge two years ago, so I know about golf at altitude. FWIW: I did not walk. Carts were mandatory I believe. Take care.

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='rony' post='820410' date='Dec 11 2007, 01:39 PM'][quote name='Solutions Etcetera' post='820309' date='Dec 11 2007, 12:28 PM'][quote name='rony' post='820137' date='Dec 11 2007, 07:20 AM'][quote name='Solutions Etcetera' post='820124' date='Dec 11 2007, 10:06 AM']Another post about what other people do, and insinuation that if it is not the same as you it is not quite right. Who the F cares whether you walk or not? or why?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Know Colorado very well. I play a good deal of golf out there as my middle Son lives in Fort Collins and is a low capper who plays over 50 rounds a year. Played in Silverthorne, Breckenridge two years ago, so I know about golf at altitude. FWIW: I did not walk. Carts were mandatory I believe. Take care.
[/quote]

That is to say....I know about playing in the mountains because I play often and go to Colorado often.

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I ride because it's included in the greens fee. If they had a walker's fee, I'd walk.

I usually walk anyway because it's cart path only.

Speed isn't the difference. I can walk 18 as fast as I can ride it.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

ok so here is a question. I like to walk but rarely do because at many places I play require a cart before certain times of the day. And my playing partners always ride. So should I:
Pay the cart fee and simply take my bag off after the first hole?
Ask the pro if I can walk? How do I get around the no walk rule?

Sometimes it seem unsocialable to walk when everyone in the group walks. My goal is to walk more A) so I can be in better shape, and B) I play better when walking.

[quote name='kenk7us2002' post='820530' date='Dec 11 2007, 02:15 PM']I have to admit that I think its ludicrous that some of you think we need and excuse to ride.

I ride and trust me I do not apologize to anyone for it.

Heck if it was my choice I would let the PGA tour ride.[/quote]

[size=2]Really ? So you would let MLB players use aluminum bats? If your excuse to ride is because youre pressed for time then you might be in the wrong sport. Walking could do you some good in long run. Smell the roses

[/size]

I work at a club...so my carts are free.

When I play alone I walk. When I play with other walkers....I walk. When I play in my regular Sunday group (16-25 folks) I ride. When I play with the old guys in the their skins game...I ride (because they do).

When I play other courses, I follow that courses rules. If they allow walking and I am with "walkers", I walk.

And carts are faster than walking. Sometimes I like to get in 18 before my shift....so I jump in a cart...course to myself....18 holes in 2 and 15. Would I prefer the walk?...Of course. But sometimes it works out better.

There is a guy at my course.....he's runner. Not a walker...A RUNNER. Craziest thing I have ever seen....or heard. Talk about bag chatter.

imsocrabby's post above [color="#FF0000"]^[/color] pretty much says it all for me too.
When I lived on Oahu, the private club I belonged to (now called Luana Hills) was carts only...not sure if they still are - probably, but the course layout somewhat dictated that requirement.
I personally get a lot more pleasure out of a round when I walk. It adds to the whole golf experience (for me), but if I'm playing with a partner or group that doesn't like to walk, that's perfectly fine with me too.
Sitting on my a$$ around the golf course is still way better than sitting on my a$$ at my desk at work.
Everyone should walk or ride as they please.

I walked 99% of the time. I can keep up with a cart unless the guy is REALLY freaking good AND fast. I don't really care if you ride BUT if you do choose to ride, please stay away fromt the green, tee boxes and wet/low spot. I'm aware that NOT ALL riders do it but lots of them do. Cart paths only is usually understood as ".....only when tha ranger can see me...." My favorite is alway when a rider pulls up REALLY close to his ball, get out, lines up then realizes that that cart is too close to hit...... :):rolleyes: It 's OK to walk a little bit...............

I am 20 but have a legit excuse for carting it. I was in a terrible car accident and shattered my heel. I have a half fake, half real bone heel now with 7 screws and 2 operations into it. I have tried walking as I always did before my accident unless I was in a foursome to speed things up, but I am only able to walk about 4 holes then I can't even bear to stand... thats why I ride...

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

[quote name='FLAis4golferz' post='820906' date='Dec 11 2007, 07:54 PM']I am 20 but have a legit excuse for carting it. I was in a terrible car accident and shattered my heel. I have a half fake, half real bone heel now with 7 screws and 2 operations into it. I have tried walking as I always did before my accident unless I was in a foursome to speed things up, but I am only able to walk about 4 holes then I can't even bear to stand... thats why I ride...[/quote]

Hats off to you for still playing. Good Man! :)

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='Sandman600' post='820703' date='Dec 11 2007, 05:26 PM'][quote name='kenk7us2002' post='820530' date='Dec 11 2007, 02:15 PM']I have to admit that I think its ludicrous that some of you think we need and excuse to ride.

I ride and trust me I do not apologize to anyone for it.

Heck if it was my choice I would let the PGA tour ride.[/quote]

[size=2]Really ?[b] So you would let MLB players use aluminum bats? If your excuse to ride is because youre pressed for time then you might be in the wrong sport. Walking could do you some good in long run. Smell the roses[/b][/size]
[/quote]

I stated loud and clear in and earlier post I do not need and excuse to ride, just how arrogant is it of you to think I do.

Just exactly what does aluminum bats have to do with letting tour players ride carts?

I simply do not consider golf a test of stamina. It is a test of skill how I get between shots has nothing to do with the game.

I can say one thing for sure I can think of a lot of better ways to excercise than walking a golf course that would take a lot less time.