2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ever Notice Who Rides in Golf Carts?

rony

I don't golf for the exercise. I golf to golf and get out of the house (I work from home). I have my own golf cart down at the club that I get to keep my clubs and shoes and whatever else on. I golf about 5-6 rounds a week. With a cart, I can golf about 27-36 holes a day. Could I work more? Sure I could. I have a sun mountain speed cart like every other walker. I use it when I go to places that don't have carts (i.e. Chambers Bay) or when a course is "Cart Path only".

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Ping G400 - 9*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 17*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G400 - 19*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 22*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]
[i]TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft[/i]
[i]Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58 [/i]
[i]Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights[/i][/b][/font]

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a joke? If I feel like riding, I don't need to justify it, and you don't need to cut me down... Just like I don't make fun of all you lazy asses who use a speed cart because you are too lazy to hoof a 15 pound bag. Riding and speed carting are basically equal, along with using a caddy. Golf is for leisure, the gym is for exercise.

Motion to close...

Seconded!

This stuff brings to mind the women that went to Lamaze classes and felt inadequate after they gave birth because they reached their pain threshold and asked for an epidural anesthetic. Along with the women who went without anesthesia MAKING them feel inadequate.

Ever notice it's smaller guys who never had a weight problem that give bigger guys a hard time about their size? Rony, what works for you is good for you. Have fun. Do what makes you feel good. That may not work for other people. Live and let live.

EDIT: You might also look up some info on a man named Jim Fixx. Never say never.

I play over 60 rounds a year so I'm on the course quite a bit. I play at many different courses. I'm 66, 5'7", 145 Lbs. Not an ounce of fat on me and I have weighed the same since I was 17 years old. I walk all rounds with a Sun Mountain Speed Cart. It has been my observation, and surprisingly so, that the players that I see in Golf Carts, are usually the guys between 30 and 50 years old. I can't count the number of times these fellows will say to me, "I usually walk but I just had knee surgery, or threw my back out, or just had a hernia operation." Right? If you're a walker, you always hear that. "Bull Butter"! These guys are almost always overweight and out of shape. Conversely, most of the older golfers seem to walk. Is it because we're more cognizant of the health benefits of walking the course or is it the "Fixed Income" that makes many seniors a bit more frugal. I'm in great shape anyhow and don't really have to walk to keep in shape. I have a Super Fast Matabolism, and just don't ever gain weight. I eat well so I maintain my weight. Actually, I walk because I play better when I walk, and my games is stronger now than it was when I was in my 50's. (That's probably because I'm able to play more). I'm one of those golfers who needs that walk between shots to set up the next one and figure out which club to pull. Riding around in those damn carts, distracts me. How about you other seniors? :ok:

Here's a newspaper clipping on a related subject:

i mostly ride. i would classify my self as being in great shape. i run 3-5 miles 5 times a week and lift weights 5 days a week. when i play golf, i don't want to exert any more energy and try to zip around as fast as possible. if that was my only chance to exercise than i would walk. i never understand when people say they play better when they walk. i could walk, crawl, have some one carry me or ride a cart and once i get over a shot it will have no affect.

When I used to walk, I had time before I got to the ball to decide what I needed do and what I needed to hit. Riding, I get there so fast I don't have time to digest the shot plan.

For what it's worth, there are lots of guys posting in this thread that are much younger than we are, just to let the majority know that most of us posting in here are over 60.

Up until I was 55, I walked, carried a staff bag and had no problems, that is until the heart attack..walking is great but it isn't a cure all by any means. I read guys reasons for riding and reasons for walking..Each and every one of us know what's good for us or at least we should. And we may not need someone much younger than us making suggestions that we need to abide by. JAT ;)

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Like a few posters before, why should one have to justify his reasoning for walking or riding or using a push/pull cart. If the course provides cart in the fee then damn right I will use it but I prefer walking because I feel that it does help me concentrate more, for some reason riding makes me feel like I have to rush. But on the flip side I hate when I am the only walker in a group of riders because generally they will all be playing really fast and it will screw up my tempo as well. I just say if you want to walk, then walk till your legs fall off. If you want to ride, ride till your hearts content. Until the USGA bans carts altogether there will always be people that ride and people that b*tch about people that ride.

I am 68!

I work as cart boy and greeter (LOL), at a private club that has opened to the public to help revenue in tough times.

Walkers are informed when a large blitz will be starting, on each hole, in the early afternoon.

Old guys who drive carts in the ponds, or get stuck in the mud, receive a 'military style' reprimand.

ALL are informed of our rules!

I prefer a slow pace in a comfortable golf cart. I did enough walking in the Infantry.

Enjoy Your Round!!!

JMO

Some of the posts in this thread are asinine. Who cares if you walk, ride, use a caddy, push cart, etc... Enjoy the game however you would like to enjoy it.

Callaway Razr Hawk Tour Xcon-6 X
Taylormade r7 TP 15* HD7 X
Taylormade Rescue TP 19* Altus X
Cleveland CG16 Tour T-Stamp 3-PW S300
Cleveland CG16 RTG 52* & 58* S400
Yes! Ann 34"

Some of the posts in this thread are asinine. Who cares if you walk, ride, use a caddy, push cart, etc... Enjoy the game however you would like to enjoy it.

Some of us are asinine...hell, some of us are senile as well. Just for the heck of it...would you know if you were senile or not? More than likely you would answer no that you weren't, and by the same token, the guys who is senile would answer the same emphatic "NO". JAT :D

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I proudly proclaim myself as a member of a new club, I guess. Yes, I am an ASININER. I post my opinions on whatever topic I think I can contribute. I will do so respectfully succinctly, and frequently. I will also listen to your opinion as long as it isn't profane, insulting, or illiterate. If this makes me "asinine" I am honored to be a member of the club.

As the motto for the ASININE CLUB, I propose the following:

"A mature person is one who is does not think only in absolutes, who is able to be objective even when deeply stirred emotionally, who has learned that there is both good and bad in all people and all things, and who walks humbly and deals charitably” - quote from Eleanor Roosevelt.

I'm 56, a bit overweight, and belong to a very hilly club. I've walked my entire life. I made the concession of buying a Robokaddy last year so that after playing 18 holes I can come home and work around the house.

We played 18 yesterday and the rest of the foursome rode. I walked and was generally waiting for them on the tee.

I do ride in charity tournaments, and sometimes when playing a course that has long distances between holes.

Otherwise I love walking a course.

I only ride when I'm required to do so, such as corporate outtings or charity events....I prefer to walk because that's how golf is meant to be played...

I usually play better when I walk as opposed to riding a cart.... I've been told that my swing tempo is much better when I walk

REALLY? I never saw that in the Bible anywhere! Wake up some morning with my back and tell me why God gave us the knowledge to creat golf carts!! I can walk 18 any day, I just never know when that day is, or if it is a 6 hole day or a 9 hole day. It is heck to get to #12 (farthest hole from the club house) and the back goes by by.

lol, I never said that you can't have an opinion, or even that you can't share it on the board. I just said that some of them are asinine, and that's my opinion, and that goes for some posts on both sides of the argument.

Callaway Razr Hawk Tour Xcon-6 X
Taylormade r7 TP 15* HD7 X
Taylormade Rescue TP 19* Altus X
Cleveland CG16 Tour T-Stamp 3-PW S300
Cleveland CG16 RTG 52* & 58* S400
Yes! Ann 34"

The funny thing is that the most athletic people tend to ride also. The walking doesn't seem like much of a work out. Heart rate stays too low to get much done and they come to the course to hit the ball and go to the gym or for run to get w work out.

This thread WAS 2 years old. way to bring back the dead threads guys.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

lol, I never said that you can't have an opinion, or even that you can't share it on the board. I just said that some of them are asinine, and that's my opinion, and that goes for some posts on both sides of the argument.

I suppose that the definition of "asinine" as used here refers to stupidity or obstinance. If you are refering to comments as being without substance or reflecting an unyielding adherence to an opinion - I agree, wholeheartedly. Howevcer, I submit that if we eliminate "asinine" comments or even "asinine" commentors, there will be very little use for most websites, talk radio, or the Letters to the Editor sections of the few remaining daily newspapers. To a significant extent, substantive discussions are seldom generate significant interest. It is much easier to celebrate what is trivial and mundane than to explore issues of lasting significance. Our challenge is to elevate our discussions, avoid ridiculing each other, and avoid the temptation to rely on volume to make up for insight.

As to the current topic, the reason that it keeps popping up is interesting. I suggest that it is about much more than meets the eye. I am convinced that it touches what many of us think is the essence of the game. Walk if you can, push if you can't, and ride if you must. But touch the soul of the game in the process.

I suppose that the definition of "asinine" as used here refers to stupidity or obstinance. If you are refering to comments as being without substance or reflecting an unyielding adherence to an opinion - I agree, wholeheartedly. Howevcer, I submit that if we eliminate "asinine" comments or even "asinine" commentors, there will be very little use for most websites, talk radio, or the Letters to the Editor sections of the few remaining daily newspapers. To a significant extent, substantive discussions are seldom generate significant interest. It is much easier to celebrate what is trivial and mundane than to explore issues of lasting significance. Our challenge is to elevate our discussions, avoid ridiculing each other, and avoid the temptation to rely on volume to make up for insight.

As to the current topic, the reason that it keeps popping up is interesting. I suggest that it is about much more than meets the eye. I am convinced that it touches what many of us think is the essence of the game. Walk if you can, push if you can't, and ride if you must. But touch the soul of the game in the process.

:clapping: Very well said. I believe i would enjoy playing golf with you.

I am 60 and enjoy walking 18 more then riding; but walking when my buddies are riding isn't very social, so I ride. Moreover I don't choose who I play golf with based on if they walk or ride; I choose them based on character.

On days when the temp is over 85 I ride, and ride when playing courses that require riding, which in my area is quite common. Golf is golf, whether seen from a walkers pace or riding. All I care about is what I feel and choose to do. What manner others choose makes me no never mind, just like what clubs you choose means nothing to me.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

the reason that it keeps popping up is interesting. I suggest that it is about much more than meets the eye. I am convinced that it touches what many of us think is the essence of the game. Walk if you can, push if you can't, and ride if you must. But touch the soul of the game in the process.

I suspect the reason this topic keeps popping up is some folks want to find a connection with others, so maybe they don't feel unusual in some fashion. Same goes for the blade vs. cb; long iron vs. hybrid. Who's a purist and who's contempory and doesn't want to feel guilty abou their choices.

Because I don't care what others choose, it would be more like "walk if you choose", push or pull if you choose, or ride in a cart if you choose. However you choose, enjoy our great golf.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I play over 60 rounds a year so I'm on the course quite a bit. I play at many different courses. I'm 66, 5'7", 145 Lbs. Not an ounce of fat on me and I have weighed the same since I was 17 years old. I walk all rounds with a Sun Mountain Speed Cart. It has been my observation, and surprisingly so, that the players that I see in Golf Carts, are usually the guys between 30 and 50 years old. I can't count the number of times these fellows will say to me, "I usually walk but I just had knee surgery, or threw my back out, or just had a hernia operation." Right? If you're a walker, you always hear that. "Bull Butter"! These guys are almost always overweight and out of shape. Conversely, most of the older golfers seem to walk. Is it because we're more cognizant of the health benefits of walking the course or is it the "Fixed Income" that makes many seniors a bit more frugal. I'm in great shape anyhow and don't really have to walk to keep in shape. I have a Super Fast Matabolism, and just don't ever gain weight. I eat well so I maintain my weight. Actually, I walk because I play better when I walk, and my games is stronger now than it was when I was in my 50's. (That's probably because I'm able to play more). I'm one of those golfers who needs that walk between shots to set up the next one and figure out which club to pull. Riding around in those damn carts, distracts me. How about you other seniors? :ok:

I doubt that it has anything to do with being health conscious. Many people think that walking the course is so great. If you do the math, you really don't burn that many calories. Depending on the course, how well you play (i.e. how much looking for the ball), your physical size, your physical condition, and whether you are carrying your bag or not, a person will only burn about 150 - 250 calories. Not enough to justify the eating of a hotdog at the turn. The problem is that you aren't getting your body moving enough, and it isn't a constant movement. Now it would be totally different if after you hit each shot, you ran to your ball while carrying your bag. Granted I enjoy walking more, because I can actually have a conversation with my playing partners instead of just the person I am sharing the cart with. Also, depending on how good your playing partners are, you can play in in the same amount of time. I will say that your physical endurance and health will play a huge part in how well you play when it comes to the last 3 or 4 holes. Those guys who are not in good shape will fizzle coming down the stretch, because they just don't have the endurance to keep the steam going for all 18 holes or roughly 4 miles of walking.

• 3 weeks later...

1) Carts play faster?

On my course it does not matter if you play faster...everyone plays in around 4 hours. If you try to play in under 4 hours you are going to be playing thru 10 foursomes...how reasonable is that?

How many groups can you play thru to play in under 4 hours? If you can play under 3 hours anywhere, the course must be pretty empty...

2)Its healthier to walk. Burning calories? You are walking 5 miles up and down hills...Basically you are walking the tips(even if you do not play them) and the distance between holes and not walking in a straight line(unless you hit a straight ball). Add carrying your bag or the resistance of pushing or pulling a cart and you are burning ...Walking a grass course is 150 calories/mile. This does not take into account the playing, concentrating, squatting or uphill walking and resistance of the cart. So I think we can safely say at least 800-1000 calories/a round.

3)It saves "energy" to walk. We are running short of oil as it is...

4)But this is America, people can do whatever they want(for the most part).

ADDITION:

But actually I just saw a chart that said over 400cals/per hour! So thats 1600!

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

Three words: Freedom of Choice.

I like to contribute to the revenue of the course by riding...

By subsidizing the course's purchase of golf carts, they can use the additional revenue to maintain the greens, fairways, bunkers, and other facilities. If everyone walked, I think that courses would ultimately close, or greens fees would raise exponentially. In addition, the course would be alienated by those of above-average age, or below-average health.

Just my opinion.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

mark twain defined golf as "a good walk spoiled". lol

i'm a senior and walk/carry. i enjoy walking and don't like carts. for those that must take carts for physical reasons i'm glad that they can still go out and enjoy the game. when i'm on the course i am in no rush, i am out there to enjoy myself. i play with people who ride and have no problem keeping up.

what surprises me is how many young people ride carts.

I know that there is a chance that one can become a broken record on this subject. But as I have said before, I walk aided usually by my SpeedCart and very occasionally carrying for short jumps of 9 holes or less. I actually carried 18 two weeks ago and I think I still feel it. The truth is I probably should be riding. I have one of those placards that let me park in a handicapped spot because of some of my infirmities. Sometimes my legs and feet ache so bad that I even use it. But for me, as long as I play, I want to walk.

I don't care what you do. Ride if you want. But please don't adopt the attitude that walkers are somehow a detriment to speedy play. We don't slow down play, for the most part, any more than riders - again, for the most part. Slow players slow down play. They need to be marshaled into playing faster. Please don't misunderstand me, golf course designers can (and increasing do) design courses that cannot be walked without great effort. That effort sometimes includes walking great distances between holes. This could slow down play. In this case, walkers don't slow down play, designers do.

To contend that riding and cart fees are the salvation of monetarily challenged courses is ludicrous. If carts are the only way a course can makes ends meet, I am convinced that there is something desperately wrong with the course. Poorly managed courses engender their own financial crises. If a course needs additional revenue, raise green fees. If the course is good enough, I will pay. But to deny the legion of golf course walkers the right to do what makes golf more meaningful is just wrong-headed. To contend that we are somehow a barrier to financial viability is just silly.

I agree with the sentiments - live and let live. I am not going to contend that carts should be excluded from courses. Personally, I wish they were but since I don't have a vote, riders are safe. Just please extend the same rights to the pushers, pullers, and carriers of the world. We need love, too.

I know that there is a chance that one can become a broken record on this subject. But as I have said before, I walk aided usually by my SpeedCart and very occasionally carrying for short jumps of 9 holes are less. I actually carried 18 two weeks ago and I think I still feel it. The truth is I probably should be riding. I have one of those placards that let me park in a handicapped spot because of some of my infirmities. Sometimes my legs and feet ache so bad that I even use it. But for me, as long as I play, I want to walk.

I don't care what you do. Ride if you want. But please don't adopt the attitude that walkers are somehow a detriment to speedy play. We don't slow down play, for the most part, any more than riders, again for the most part. Slow players slow down play. They need to be marshaled into playing faster. Please don't misunderstand me, golf course designers can (and increasing do) design courses that cannot be walked without great effort. That effort sometimes includes walking great distances between holes. This could slow down play. In this case, walkers don't slow down play, designers do.

To contend that riding and cart fees are the salvation of monetarily challenged courses is ludicrous. If carts are the only way a course can makes ends meet, I am convinced that there is something desperately wrong with the course. Poorly managed courses engender there own financial crises. If a course needs additional revenue, raise green fees. If the course is good enough, I will pay. But to deny the legion of golf course walkers the right to do what makes golf more meaningful is just wrong-headed. To contend that we are somehow a barrier to financial viability is just silly.

I agree with the sentiments - live and let live. I am not going to contend that carts should be excluded from courses. Personally, I wish they were but since I don't have a vote, riders are safe. Just please extend the same rights to the pushers, pullers, and carriers of the world. We need love, too.

Well stated! :clapping:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

My home course has 2 carts. Thats it. And only because they are privately owned. The whole club walks. Men, women, kids. Hell I played with a chain smoking 82 year old today. He was great company. Shot 81 as well. Was he giving me hell.

Anyway, I riden say 8 times while i've been playing. It's just not the way off life down here.

2 of us can walk 18 in 2.5 holes and both break 80 off the back

Same thing here in Scandinavian countries. Walking is the way to do it.

People drive too damn much in this world :russian_roulette:

To the post box 50 yards down the road - yes, it's a free country, you can drive every damn place you want to.

To your neighbours house 50 yards to the left or right, to pay him a visit - yes, it's a free country, you can drive every damn place you want to.

To the baker, 500 yards down the road - yes, it's a free country, you can drive every damn place you want to.

On the golf course, because I do all my fitness training in the gym, yet I still have a fat percent of over 40 and weighs 100 pounds too much - yes, it's a free country, you can drive every damn place you want to.

From the driving range to the first tee - yes, it's a free country, you can drive every damn place you want to.

Unfortunately even people in Scandinavia seems to adopt some of the worst habits from the US - driving everywhere, building roads with no pavements or sidewalks, eating crappy food from McD, KFC and 7-11.

But hey, it's a free world, you can eat & drink anything you like and drive to and from everywhere you please to :russian_roulette:

Of course people, who drive to the post box, to the baker, to visit the neighbour and also drive a cart on the golf course, are using the time they save, by NOT walking, in the gym later on, working out - yet, all the gym's I visit in my area, they are full of guys in the 20's with low body fat - I never see any of the fat cart golf guys from the golf clubs running or in the gym - but hey, it's a free country, you can do what ever you want to - it's up to you, so let's build some more golf clubs, where walking is not allowed :russian_roulette:

• 4 weeks later...