2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ever Notice Who Rides in Golf Carts?

rony

[quote name='rony' post='820917' date='Dec 11 2007, 08:01 PM'][quote name='FLAis4golferz' post='820906' date='Dec 11 2007, 07:54 PM']I am 20 but have a legit excuse for carting it. I was in a terrible car accident and shattered my heel. I have a half fake, half real bone heel now with 7 screws and 2 operations into it. I have tried walking as I always did before my accident unless I was in a foursome to speed things up, but I am only able to walk about 4 holes then I can't even bear to stand... thats why I ride...[/quote]

Hats off to you for still playing. Good Man! :)
[/quote]
thanks, man! I wouldn't play at all if I didn't love it... and am addicted to it...lol

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kenk7us2002' post='820927' date='Dec 11 2007, 08:05 PM'][quote name='Sandman600' post='820703' date='Dec 11 2007, 05:26 PM'][quote name='kenk7us2002' post='820530' date='Dec 11 2007, 02:15 PM']I have to admit that I think its ludicrous that some of you think we need and excuse to ride.

I ride and trust me I do not apologize to anyone for it.

Heck if it was my choice I would let the PGA tour ride.[/quote]

[size=2]Really ?[b] So you would let MLB players use aluminum bats? If your excuse to ride is because youre pressed for time then you might be in the wrong sport. Walking could do you some good in long run. Smell the roses[/b][/size]
[/quote]

I stated loud and clear in and earlier post I do not need and excuse to ride, just how arrogant is it of you to think I do.

Just exactly what does aluminum bats have to do with letting tour players ride carts?

I simply do not consider golf a test of stamina. It is a test of skill how I get between shots has nothing to do with the game.

I can say one thing for sure I can think of a lot of better ways to excercise than walking a golf course that would take a lot less time.
[/quote]

MLB is not a good example....I mean the DH is basically cheating.

I went for my annual Physical Exam in April. My Doctor congratulated me for my excellent condition. I told him that unbelieveably, I feel better now from playing non-stop golf, than I did when I played tournament tennis for 30 some years. He told me that tennis is short bursts of energy on and off over a 1 1/2 hour period for singles, whereas in golf, for 18 holes walking with a speed cart, you are walking between 5 & 6 miles, pushing, swinging, turning, stretching, flexing, breathing fresh air, out in the sunshine, for between 4 1/2 hours to 5 hours. You play 3 times a week, .........You figure it out. You're getting more exercise than probably 85% of the people in your age group! Along with the 1000 mg of Super Omega 3 Fish Oil that I take daily, I think I'm on the right path. Sounds good to me. Like I said.......I'm walking! :)

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='kenk7us2002' post='820959' date='Dec 11 2007, 08:28 PM']Fish Oil ? :)[/quote]

I don't know how old you are, but if you're older than 50........Do youself a favor and learn about it.

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

What about the people that have had cancer, diabetes, partially detached kneecaps. Open heart surgery, kidney problems, breathing problems. Problems with their feet. Such as hammer toe, neuropathy. Circulation problems. Does this mean these people are not allowed to play. I live in AMERICA. I have the right to ride in a cart. And I have played over 200 rounds this year. I had 60 rounds in before the end of april. So that is not a big number at all. There are a group of "old men" that play at my club. They told me that missed 28 days this year. They all ride in cart. They all shoot in the low 80's to middle 70's. I played with one of them and he is 66. He shot 71 that day. This stuff about having to plan your shot while walking to the ball, well if u have to think about it that hard. God bless you. You go to the ball, u find the yardage, figure the wind or uphill or downhill, and u hit it. The only reason to play golf for 4 and half hours is to play 27 holes. I hear this all about practise. After playing golf since the late 1970's, then if i don't know how to hit the ball now I never will. I know it will draw every time. That is my shot. I go hit enough balls to get the creaks out of my back. Period. I don't have to think is this going to fade or go straight or hook. I know it will start out right and come back left every time. That is my shot. I hit it the very first time I hit a golf ball. The thing I worry about is what I have to write down on the card after every hole. Three of those and one of those is a par. Next hole. I watch all these kids work on their swing. And I get the kids at the local college golf team to play with me at times. I can score, I don't care what it looks like. And I don't care that I ride in a golf cart. I shot even par today. 5 fairways, 9 greens, 25 putts. I got lucky twice. I hit it thru a some trees on a dogleg and never touched a one. I hit a ball in the water and hit 4 on the fringe and made a lucky bogey putt. So come walk at my course and we will gamble. But if u cant keep up then I am sorry.

[quote name='rony' post='820966' date='Dec 11 2007, 08:31 PM'][quote name='kenk7us2002' post='820959' date='Dec 11 2007, 08:28 PM']Fish Oil ? :)[/quote]

I don't know how old you are, but if you're older than 50........Do youself a favor and learn about it.
[/quote]

Well I did some research and found out I live longer than fish so no thank you.

[quote name='kenk7us2002' post='821082' date='Dec 11 2007, 09:54 PM'][quote name='rony' post='820966' date='Dec 11 2007, 08:31 PM'][quote name='kenk7us2002' post='820959' date='Dec 11 2007, 08:28 PM']Fish Oil ? :)[/quote]

[/quote]

Well I did some research and found out I live longer than fish so no thank you.
[/quote]

Resolved...

Fish oil is repackaged snake oil - same 'benefits,' better graphics on the bottle

OR

Fish oil gives us mammals what we've been missing since we grew feet, crawled out of the ocean and headed for dry land

I wonder if Salmon brag about swimming upstream while lazy fish ride the currents.

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for some ambegris today." An insider joke among whalers.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

I don't think just being fat is an excuse not to walk. I'm 6'4 and 265-270 (depending on the day) and I can still easily walk 18 while carrying my bag. Yes, I'm only 20, but it's really not that hard to walk 6 miles over a 4 hour time period. Think of it, 1.5 mph, is it that hard?

With that being said, I don't walk every round. I walk about 80% of the time if I'm by myself, the other 20% being the middle of summer and I just don't feel like walking in 100* weather. If I go with a friend I'll let him choose, I don't mind walking but if he wants to ride I'll ride with, same thing when I go with my grandpa.

I am so pulling my hair out here .
You guys keep saying over and over we need and excuse because we choose to ride,

[b]
don't think just being fat is an excuse not to walk. I'm 6'4 and 265-270 (depending on the day) and I can still easily walk 18 while carrying my bag. Yes, I'm only 20, but it's really not that hard to walk 6 miles over a 4 hour time period. Think of it, 1.5 mph, is it that hard? [/b]

[b]I honestly think it's pointless for anyone on this board to justify themselves if they ride. Some have to due to the courses, and some walk whenever they can. Just enjoy the game regardless of your mode of mobility.[/b]

Cust a couple of the latest examples. For the last time we do not have to justify riding.

Maybe we riders should get you walkers to justify walking and slowing down the whole golf course?

More and more golf courses require carts for one reason too speed up play.

[b]Just the same I want to say this one last time I do not apologize because I prefer to ride.[/b]

When I started playing I walked all the time, and thought cart riders were lazy. As I started earning more of an income and could afford a cart they didn't seem quite as bad to me any longer. True walking is very healthy, and I still do it sometimes, but since I severely broke my leg a year ago it doesnt seem that appealing to me any longer. When I started playing golf with a new group of people, who never walked, I kind of followed along. The main reason they ride is 1. social-often I play with my boss, who likes to have "meeting" on the golf course, and setting next to someone in a cart for 4 plus hours is a pretty good "meeting" 2. Sometimes the adult beverages start to flow, they would pass out if they tried to walk. 3. A lot of the courses we play are not walker friendly, often times they dont allow walking or it could be 500 yards from the green to the next tee. 4. Sometimes we play on week day afternoons as a twosome, if you are decent players and no one is in front of you, you can fly around the course. I will admit walking on a weekend when the course is full does not speed up play. Often times walkers will make it to the next tee as fast or faster than the cart riders. So IMO

1. If you want to walk then walk, if you want to ride then ride, but dont be a snob about it, to each his own.
2. Walking is very healthy, great exercise, great for your heart.
3. Some courses cannot be walked, even though traditionally golf is a walking game.
4. Business golf is always cart golf, if you are lucky enough to be able to get to the course while "at work" feel lucky, not cursed.
5. Carts on the path only suck! nothing slows up play more.
6. When I see kids in carts I want to puke, shouldnt have to use one until you graduate from college and get a "real job"
7. Carts are here to stay, caddies are almost extinct, thats just the way it is, but that is life in the modern world. Are we lazy? No, just a little spoiled. But then again 100 years ago people didnt live as long, couldnt afford to play golf, didnt have access to a course, didnt have the time to play, because they had to spend most of thier time trying to survive and feed their family. I prefer things the way they are now.

8. When I ride, I often grab my clubs and walk to my ball when it is a good distance from where my partners ball is. Or I often walk to the green after hitting my approach shot. Dont become bound to the cart, standing and waiting for someone to come pick you up all the time because you dont want to walk 30 yards to your ball is lazy.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Is this a joke? If I feel like riding, I don't need to justify it, and you don't need to cut me down... Just like I don't make fun of all you lazy asses who use a speed cart because you are too lazy to hoof a 15 pound bag. Riding and speed carting are basically equal, along with using a caddy. Golf is for leisure, the gym is for exercise.

Motion to close...

[quote name='kenk7us2002' post='821422' date='Dec 12 2007, 06:42 AM']I am so pulling my hair out here .
You guys keep saying over and over we need and excuse because we choose to ride,

[b]
don't think just being fat is an excuse not to walk. I'm 6'4 and 265-270 (depending on the day) and I can still easily walk 18 while carrying my bag. Yes, I'm only 20, but it's really not that hard to walk 6 miles over a 4 hour time period. Think of it, 1.5 mph, is it that hard? [/b]

[b]I honestly think it's pointless for anyone on this board to justify themselves if they ride. Some have to due to the courses, and some walk whenever they can. Just enjoy the game regardless of your mode of mobility.[/b]

Cust a couple of the latest examples. For the last time we do not have to justify riding.

[color="#FF0000"]Maybe we riders should get you walkers to justify walking and slowing down the whole golf course?

[/color]

[b]Just the same I want to say this one last time I do not apologize because I prefer to ride.[/b][/quote]

I agree with everything you said.

but...

you could observe almost any golf course that allows walking and find that the folks slowing play are most likely in carts...with coolers full of beer...and rental clubs....

(most) walkers know the game....respect the game....

and courses require carts to speed play, that is true.....but not for your benefit......it's to put more cash in their pocket. if they cared about you, the golfer......they wouldn't put tee times 5 minutes apart.

[quote name='imsocrabby' post='821700' date='Dec 12 2007, 12:11 PM'][quote name='kenk7us2002' post='821422' date='Dec 12 2007, 06:42 AM']I am so pulling my hair out here .

[b]

[color="#ff0000"]Maybe we riders should get you walkers to justify walking and slowing down the whole golf course?

[/color]

[b]Just the same I want to say this one last time I do not apologize because I prefer to ride.[/b][/quote]

but...

you could observe almost any golf course that allows walking and find that the folks slowing play are most likely in carts...with coolers full of beer...and rental clubs....

and courses require carts to speed play, that is true.....but not for your benefit......it's to put more cash in their pocket. if they cared about you, the golfer......they wouldn't put tee times 5 minutes apart.
[/quote]

Hey, Hey.............That was a very good reply. This individual knows what they're talking about and understands the game! :)

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Lol

First at my course most of the walkers took up golf last week.

That and a few of the women walk thinking it will improve there figures

as for speeding up play. I never said the courses did it for the players but it does speed up play.

Honestly I have no problem with walkers except when they talk like that is the only way to play the game

[quote name='kenk7us2002' post='821820' date='Dec 12 2007, 01:09 PM']Lol

First at my course most of the walkers took up golf last week.

That and a few of the women walk thinking it will improve there figures

as for speeding up play. I never said the courses did it for the players but it does speed up play.

Honestly I have no problem with walkers except when they talk like that is the only way to play the game[/quote]

Damn those women. What the heck were they thinking? Bag of clubs....hit the ball....walk to it...hit it again....enjoy the sunshine....fresh air......

I think I heard or read somewhere that walking was good for your health....could be wrong though.

I could care less if you walk or ride or run.....just keep up and respect the game. AND the people who play it.

[quote name='krustyburger' post='821838' date='Dec 12 2007, 02:21 PM']The people who claim to have no reason to defend themselves for riding carts sure seem to be spending a lot of time here defending themselves.[/quote]

:):rolleyes:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='imsocrabby' post='821700' date='Dec 12 2007, 12:11 PM'][quote name='kenk7us2002' post='821422' date='Dec 12 2007, 06:42 AM']I am so pulling my hair out here .

[b]

[color="#FF0000"]Maybe we riders should get you walkers to justify walking and slowing down the whole golf course?

[/color]

but...

[/quote]

In my experience slow play is not caused by people carting or walking, but both and not just because of that. It's because they either...

A. New to the game

b. Inconsiderate (wanna be pros take too much time, Groups of 5, and the usual beer bandits)

c. pro shop tee times too close together

I don't see the point in saying its mostly fat people are riding and carts are slowing the round down.

If there is data to prove this to let me know

I would generally see that more elderly riding than youner people.

I also see that more experienced golfers tend to walk, not you weekend warriors

I walk, walk with push cart, and I also ride.

I am healthy at times, fat at times, but it doesn't mean a thing because love to play and hope anyone with me enjoys themselves not worried about being judged.

Ride if you want
Walk if you want
Ride if you have to (forced)
Walk if it is cart path only and you can (it is faster)

the best part of not being communist is that we have a choice of what we want to do. Some course are like communist states and force you to ride....but if that is against what you want to do, then don't go back there and play (that is the choice part that we all seem to love!!!!)

Bottom line is, if you like to walk....walk. If you like to ride...ride. If someone was to criticize me for taking a cart at 35, I would let them know that I only walk when I need to....that is why they invented golf carts, for lazy former pros like me that like to ride, instead of walk. And I am not out of shape, at all. Just like to ride so I can socialize with whomever I happen to be riding with. Plus as being a pro for 15 years I became spoiled as golf carts were always available to me, and it became common place.

Carts are here to stay, walking is great (depending on where and when)......but if anyone thinks they can walk 18 faster than they can ride it....they have not played with me. I will dust anyone in 18 holes riding in a cart by myself, versus them walking (not playing polo and running), with an open course in front.......guaranteed.

DG

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

[quote name='kenk7us2002' post='821422' date='Dec 12 2007, 07:42 AM']I am so pulling my hair out here .

[b]

Maybe we riders should get you walkers to justify walking and slowing down the whole golf course?

My post above (the "pointless" statement) merely agrees with what you just said. I don't feel anyone who rides needs to justify their reasonings, so why are you "pulling your hair out" as you've so colorfully stated?

[quote name='DRGJR72' post='822599' date='Dec 13 2007, 01:56 AM']Ride if you want
Walk if you want

the best part of not being communist is that we have a choice of what we want to do. Some course are like communist states and force you to ride....but if that is against what you want to do, then don't go back there and play (that is the choice part that we all seem to love!!!!)

Bottom line is, if you like to walk....walk. If you like to ride...ride. If someone was to criticize me for taking a cart at 35, I would let them know that I only walk when I need to....that is why they invented golf carts, for lazy former pros like me that like to ride, instead of walk. And I am not out of shape, at all. Just like to ride so I can socialize with whomever I happen to be riding with. Plus as being a pro for 15 years I became spoiled as golf carts were always available to me, and it became common place.

Carts are here to stay, walking is great (depending on where and when)......but if anyone thinks they can walk 18 faster than they can ride it....they have not played with me. I will dust anyone in 18 holes riding in a cart by myself, versus them walking (not playing polo and running), with an open course in front.......guaranteed.

DG[/quote]

OK Guys, everyone who is participating in this discussion has had good and valid points. This is what is so much fun about a good forum. So, (Not meaning to be controversial), Let me ask this question, (Since the topic has generated so much interest). For the supporters of Riding; If that is a better way to play Golf......Why is it WALKING ONLY on the ProTour? :)

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='rony' post='823006' date='Dec 13 2007, 09:54 AM'][quote name='DRGJR72' post='822599' date='Dec 13 2007, 01:56 AM']Ride if you want
Walk if you want

DG[/quote]

OK Guys, everyone who is participating in this discussion has had good and valid points. This is what is so much fun about a good forum. So, (Not meaning to be controversial), Let me ask this question, (Since the topic has generated so much interest). For the supporters of Riding; If that is a better way to play Golf......[color="#FF0000"]Why is it WALKING ONLY on the ProTour?[/color] :)
[/quote]
Not having given it a lot of thought, I can think of a few reasons for walking only on the pro tournaments:
1. Keeping with tradition
2. Walking makes for a whole lot better TV coverage from the viewers visual aesthetic perspective.
3. If I went to a tournament and wanted to follow a group around the course, I would prefer the players to be on foot (like me) so I could keep up with them and not be left in the dust between their shots.

I walk when I'm by myself or everyone else is walking,
ride when everyone else is riding, enjoy it either way,
don't look at either as right or wrong, just playing golf.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow