Ever Notice Who Rides in Golf Carts?

rony

My home course has [b]2[/b] carts. Thats it. And only because they are privately owned. The whole club walks. Men, women, kids. Hell I played with a chain smoking 82 year old today. He was great company. Shot 81 as well. Was he giving me hell.

Anyway, I riden say 8 times while i've been playing. It's just not the way off life down here.

2 of us can walk 18 in 2.5 holes and both break 80 off the back

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the supporters of Riding; If that is a better way to play Golf......Why is it WALKING ONLY on the ProTour? :)
[/quote]

Tradition for sure, but other factors play a big role

Personality - imagine letting Sergio (spit in the cup) Garcia or John (drink and drive commercial) Daly behind the wheel when they are mad. Roaring Rory Sabbatini would add a horn to discourage slow playing partners and you know someone would rev his engine during an opponent's backswing.

Logistics - If it was two players to a cart, who gets to drive? Would players ride with their caddy? What if both are too fat fo fit? If everyone rode in seprate carts what would that do to the fairways if it started to rain?

Image - Would caddies drive up, hop out and hand the player the club (very undignified) or would they hang back, suggest a club via cell phone and trust the player to to grab the 9 iron instead of the 6 iron.
What if someone drives into the creek at Amen Corner or crashes into Swilican Bridge at St. Andrews? Any chance of seeing STP OIL or MOPAR stickers on the sides of Daly's cart?

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

I don't care if you walk or ride. I do both. I do like the GPS system on the course I normally play at. It gives you yardages to hazards. Also front, center and back of the green. Makes it interesting. Riding also gives you a place to sit when your waiting behind the group of entitled gomers that play slow and never even consider letting you play through. You know the one's I'm talking about. They walk with their push carts, but always walk to each others ball instead of walking to their own.

What ever flips your switch ! Myself I have hip problems a nice flat course I walk if the group I'm with is all walking (using my BagBoy push cart) . When riding in a powered cart it is hard to group up with walkers . Although I will try to find peoples errant shots to save them time and effort . If the course is packed it doesn't make much difference one way or the other .

Most members at my club walk unless they have a physical condition. I even walked until 3 weeks prior to my hip replacement and was only walking 2 weeks after returning to the game. It seems that many visitors share buggies. My course is quite hilly but not long by todays standards. Fortunately green to tee is not far. We consider a reasonably paced 4 ball round should take no longer than 4 hours 20 minutes. Although my regular 4 ball often takes under 4 hours. In my experience I have found the use of golf carts slows down play but that may be due to the type of courses I mainly play.This may be very different in the States where many courses are designed to accomodate golf carts and on the numerous times I have visited were a lot slower than I am used to. I personally find I can determine and visualise my next shot better when I walk. This might not be the case if I should ever become a regular golf cart user. I do not have any problem with players riding as long as they do not delay play. This applies to walkers as well.

As a new member, I'm trying to figure out why the replies here from the 20-30-40 somethings in a "Senior" forum category??
FWIW, I'm 61, in good shape (5'10" 165)and I ride and walk. The guys I'm playing with this winter in south Texas all ride. However, we play 18 in 3.5 hours max. Back home, I walk if my partners walk, I ride if my partners ride.
I've played as many as 45 holes a day WALKING. However, I was 16 at the time.
This topic almost reminds me of the "elitist" attitudes of some trout fisherman. The flyfishers give the "non" flyfishers crap for not being "traditional". And like walking/riding in golf, I also use a flyrod sometimes, and other times use "other" type of tackle. Like in golf, I'm having fun BOTH ways.

Another snobby thread along the lines of, "I do it the right way. Anybody who does it differently is wrong." That seems to be the prevailing attitude on both sides of the question.

I'm with those who say walk if you want to walk, ride if you want to ride, and don't lose any sleep over what someone else is doing.

Just one request, walk or ride, if you're if front of me, KEEP IT MOVING!

To be honest I have had three operations on my feet and I get two cortisone shots a year just so I can play. I have had to give up carrying and have gone to a speed cart, except in tournament best ball play due to the slow play (and something to carry the cooler, LOL). I no longer can walk 36 aday so yes a cart is needed on those days. I play a number of courses that require the use of carts. I find myself walking as much as possible on those rounds, I find tending to the cart and my riding mate is a pain in the a$$.

Ping g430 10K w/ DI-6S

TaylorMade Sim Ti 5W w/ Ventus blue 7-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

Mizuno 243  w/ Modus 120-S, 4-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

• 3 weeks later...

I started playing golf well before carts were invented. As a high school kid I caddied for $$$$ and carried doubles, sometimes for 36 holes (the old leather bags with all kinds of stuff in them). I still love to walk, but I don't carry, I have an electric bag toter due to back preservation. I choose courses that I can walk, because that's the way I learned, but certain courses require cart rental and others are so poorly designed walking is impossible. One day I may not be able to walk the course and a cart will be my answer, unless I'm just completely ragged out then I'll just quit and retire to the 19th hole.

Selfishly, I'd like to see more courses designed and built with walking in mind. Carts can still be used on these tracks. The converse is not true.

bubba

• 1 year later...
ok so here is a question. I like to walk but rarely do because at many places I play require a cart before certain times of the day. And my playing partners always ride. So should I:

Pay the cart fee and simply take my bag off after the first hole?

Ask the pro if I can walk? How do I get around the no walk rule?

Sometimes it seem unsocialable to walk when everyone in the group walks. My goal is to walk more A) so I can be in better shape, and B) I play better when walking.

Great questions and observations on the "walking " dilemma. :clapping: Here in LA (Lower Alabama) the group of malcontents I play with, get around the "cart required" rule by walking three holes and switch and drive the cart while the other guy walks. We flip a coin to see who walks first. Still get benefit of walking and keep the pace of play. Do wish we had caddies though - would pay a little extra for that.

You are RIGHT! Walk more, play better! I walk for the same reasons! I walked 18 on Wednesday here in Denver when it was 65! A perfect day. What better way to get away from it all, walking 18 clears my head, makes me appreciate my family and enjoy the greatest game ever! It's not about playing 18 holes in 2 1/2 hours.

Golf is a thinking man's game.

If I had time to burn I'd walk. I exercise every day to exercise. It takes about 20 minutes and is part of my early morning ritual that let's me do the other stuff I like to do. I don't classify walking as exercise. I wear a size 43 suit with 32 pants, resting heart rate is 52, squat 365 for 15 reps on a maintenence workout, and gaming swingspeed with standard length driver is 114. With a cart I can play 9 holes in an hour and 18 in two if there are not many slow players ahead of me that I have to factor in letting me play through or go around and go back to play holes I skipped. That's about the only way I can play almost every day and still have time for other stuff. I'm 58 and retired but have all sorts of other things I want to do. Not in a hurry to do anything but don't want to burn time. Sometimes I walk if it suits the day and company I'm playing with but those days are rare. If I have time to burn I'll hit a few hundred balls at home. Otherwise we've got horses to ride, foxhunts to go on, motocross bikes if it's not too dusty, sailboats to race, sailboards if it's blowing hard, etc.etc.-all fun.

I am a walking golfer. I had a knee replaced in 2007, developed neuropathy in my feet and ankles in 2008, and this year, found out I have a nasty form of arthritis that seems to take great pleasure in screwing up my back, shoulder and feet. However, I can walk a course in less than 3 hours, keep up with a twosome in a cart, and all the while hurting like hell. I walk in spite of all this because it's the only way I feel comfortable on the course. Carts are for old people. Or people older than me, at least.

Understand this. I don't give a flip whether you walk or ride. I also don't care what you have in your bag. I don't care what you wear, don't care what your sunglasses look like, and have no opinion whether you should use a carry bag, cart bag, or sunday bag. If you are so inclined, keep your opinions about what equipment I use on the course, what I wear, and what kind of shoes I use, to yourself. I don't particularly care what your think.

I really don't care why you are a golfer. If you are interested, I am a golfer because that's what I have always been. Golf for me is about much more than scoring, beer, cart girls, and betting. If that's what it is for you - I hope you don't get discouraged and quit when you find out the shelf life of those things is relatively short. I have a feeling that when you get to my age, you might see things differently. In the meantime, have fun. It's a great sport. Let's keep it that way.

For myself it depends on the mood. Sometimes I enjoy the comforts of carts, but I also enjoy the feel and rhythm of walking.

What I don't like is not having the choice.

I currently live in a city that doesn't have any walking except for a few ultra exclusive private or super expensive clubs/courses. So I have to travel if I want to walk these days.

Could care less if anyone one walks or rides. Fast players are fast players. Slow players come in all forms. Regarldless if they walk or ride.

I’m 64, retired for two years. I’ve rode the last 3 years due to severe ankle problems. About 6 months ago my bad (bad to start with) started acting up really bad. I went to physical therapy and improvements were made, but reoccurrence was almost daily. In discussing my problems, I said to my wide I wish I still walked. I like playing better then and I didn’t have all the hassle with the cart. She said to try it and of course I immediately started making excuses about my ankles. After a few months I decided to give it a go. I got out the Hill Billy and walked 18 without difficultly on a walk difficult course. So far I’ve been walking again now for 4 months and my back pain almost never occur, and yes my ankles hurt, but I can get past that. I enjoy the game so much more. I don’t have that dang cart to deal with (where to park, where the riders’ ball? etc).

I could care less about others riding. It’s their choice and I have friends that if they didn’t ride, they wouldn’t be able to play. Hopefully I can keep walking for years to come. The game is so much more enjoyable and peaceful. When I get to the ball, I’m ready to play. I’ve already thought the shot over.

Yes my friends can get into the cart and zip off way ahead of me, but that’s just poor etiquette. I quickly learned to not chase the cart. Hopefully we’ll have another walker in the group.

I wish I could “carry” again, but I am sure I’m past that ability. I can manage a light Sunday bag, but using a Hill Billy makes it easier.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

I’m 64, retired for two years. I’ve rode the last 3 years due to severe ankle problems. About 6 months ago my bad (bad to start with) started acting up really bad. I went to physical therapy and improvements were made, but reoccurrence was almost daily. In discussing my problems, I said to my wide I wish I still walked. I like playing better then and I didn’t have all the hassle with the cart. She said to try it and of course I immediately started making excuses about my ankles. After a few months I decided to give it a go. I got out the Hill Billy and walked 18 without difficultly on a walk difficult course. So far I’ve been walking again now for 4 months and my back pain almost never occur, and yes my ankles hurt, but I can get past that. I enjoy the game so much more. I don’t have that dang cart to deal with (where to park, where the riders’ ball? etc).

I could care less about others riding. It’s their choice and I have friends that if they didn’t ride, they wouldn’t be able to play. Hopefully I can keep walking for years to come. The game is so much more enjoyable and peaceful. When I get to the ball, I’m ready to play. I’ve already thought the shot over.

Yes my friends can get into the cart and zip off way ahead of me, but that’s just poor etiquette. I quickly learned to not chase the cart. Hopefully we’ll have another walker in the group.

I wish I could “carry” again, but I am sure I’m past that ability. I can manage a light Sunday bag, but using a Hill Billy makes it easier.

I am so impressed that you have overcome your physical problems. It is wonderful that at times we can do things that we didn't think we could do, just by trying to do them. It is never easy to suggest that it is possible to "play through the pain" because we have no idea how bad the pain really is. I have a little experience with that issue. Personally, I have found that I can generally do whatever I want to do if. I really, really want to walk the course. Like you, I have found ways to do so. Like you, I pay the price. And like you, I am better for it. BTW, I have found that I can carry a reduced bag without too much more stress on my feet and ankles. Thanks for your post.

For people who have health problems and cant walk 18 or even 9 holes, carts allow them to still enjoy this game.

While I dont doubt that there are some people prefer a cart because they are fat and lazy, lets not lump everyone who uses a cart in that group.

I prefer to walk, but Im not about to look down on those who choose to ride in a cart.

Maybe the beer cart girl should be forced to strap a cooler on her back and walk the course! I walk I ride I just do whatever the group is doing. who cares!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

there is nothing i would rather do than walk. However... many upscale courses in northern virginia/maryland have huge distances between holes (river creek cc in leesburg va is like 183 miles between some holes) (ok, that was an exaggeration). and it is ridiculous to try to walk those just from green to the next tee. that being said, there are also a lot of the publics that are easy to walk and i do, but i won't if i am playing 18 with my 75 year old father in law, but yes for 9. since i play with him a lot i have to ride with him as that is better for him. also some of the guys i play with are a bit heavy.

I would also guess i shoot about 5 better when i walk than ride. say, 90 vs. 95 on the same course. not sure why, but that is the main consistent thing i have noticed on 18 holes at the same course.

I had back surgery and i walk, i have a bum foot and i walk. just make sure the bag isn't loaded up too much and walk at least 9! peter

retep, I was going to post the same thing about this area Maryland/VA but I didn't want it too seem like we are the only area in the country where the courses are built with half mile distances between the hoels. But mayb we are.

I'll admit most of my rounds are in a cart for the above reason. I do walk at least two or three rounds a year, when I go to Pinehurst or Whistling Straits I'll get a caddie and walk and enjoy it very much. I guess If I worked a bit harder to get back in shape I might be able to walk some of these courses but most of them also charge the same for walking or riding, so it discourages that anyway.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

So......you're 66, 5'7" and 145 soaking wet and been that way your whole life. Congratulations. I am 60, 6'2.5", 240 soaking wet and been that way most of my life. I could brag a bit how I can bench press you one-handed, but that would sound pompous and stupid, wouldn't it? Much like expecting us to weigh in and apologize for riding a cart, instead of the much more manly method of WALKING. Therefore I choose not to apologize for riding. I also did NOT vote for that clown in the White House who is going around the world apologizing for America's (in his eyes') shortcomings.

I am 67 with some lower back problems but still walk 90% of the time. Even when I play badly I know that I got some exercise.

I remember walking last year when a nice younger guy I knew come up behind me in a cart. ( I admit I always look back behind me at someone who is flying around in their cart thinking....why arn't they walking and getting exercise) I waited to let him go through and he remarked that he was in a hurry to get the round over so he could get on his treadmill at home. The more I thought about it the more I chuckled to myself.

I know there are some that cannot physically play golf unless they ride. But most use that as an excuse.

Most courses in the British Isl. do not have carts to ride. I so wish that were the case here. Members of my course will not walk 50 yards to the driving range without using their carts. It is a sad commentary on the health of our society.

I don't think just being fat is an excuse not to walk. I'm 6'4 and 265-270 (depending on the day) and I can still easily walk 18 while carrying my bag. Yes, I'm only 20, but it's really not that hard to walk 6 miles over a 4 hour time period. Think of it, 1.5 mph, is it that hard?

With that being said, I don't walk every round. I walk about 80% of the time if I'm by myself, the other 20% being the middle of summer and I just don't feel like walking in 100* weather. If I go with a friend I'll let him choose, I don't mind walking but if he wants to ride I'll ride with, same thing when I go with my grandpa.

I walked when I was 20 too... I still walked when I was 55. Come back and tell us about it when you've been carrying that weight around for 40 more years.

Golf isn't exercise; it's recreation. I'm young (26) and in great shape (6' 170# <10% bodyfat). I usually ride. I'm a 2 handicap.

I get my exercise from running, rowing, pushups, situps, pullups, etc. I used to be a cyclist and I've raced against Lance Armstrong. I know a little something about being in shape. When you've already run 5 or 6 miles or rowed 10k meters that morning, you tend to not see much point or benefit from walking around a golf course. At my course a cart is much faster, so it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Research has shown that a player riding 18 holes still gets about 2/3 of the exercise of a walker. Park a bit farther from the ball and you can increase that ratio. The swing itself takes more actual energy than walking the course does.

I walk when I'm by myself or everyone else is walking,

ride when everyone else is riding, enjoy it either way,

don't look at either as right or wrong, just playing golf.

I'm an ex backpacker and ex whitewater kayaker, and a current golfer and scuba diver. I can't walk 18 holes anymore because of joint problems. I can and do walk nearly 2 miles a couple of times a week in the park behind my house, but that's my limit. If I could still walk, I would, not through any perceived sense of superiority, but because I would simply prefer it. Since I can't, I don't, and I won't worry about what anyone else thinks about it. I'll play golf as long as I can swing a club.... And that's the only thing that matters to me.