Arccos Link Thoughts and Reviews?

I have been playing with Arccos for past two seasons and thoroughly love it!  I've been contemplating getting the Link but at this point, don't mind having my phone in the left pocket other than when it's 90* plus and I'm sweating.  Other than wind issue from what I read above, anyone have any other positive/negative reasons why to order the Link?

On 12/26/2020 at 12:28 AM, xetremex said:

I have been playing with Arccos for past two seasons and thoroughly love it!  I've been contemplating getting the Link but at this point, don't mind having my phone in the left pocket other than when it's 90* plus and I'm sweating.  Other than wind issue from what I read above, anyone have any other positive/negative reasons why to order the Link?

For me the Link was a game changer - my iPhone 11 Pro Max with 3 mics could not get about half the shots.  The Link gets most of them.  I ran into a slight issue last week where I was having issues getting a GPS lock - It was a cold day, but I eventually got it all locked in - and it worked fine after that.

For what Arccos does, it is awesome - you just have to get a setup that works for you and tracks your shots reliably.

• Like 1

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

23 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

For me the Link was a game changer - my iPhone 11 Pro Max with 3 mics could not get about half the shots.  The Link gets most of them.  I ran into a slight issue last week where I was having issues getting a GPS lock - It was a cold day, but I eventually got it all locked in - and it worked fine after that.

For what Arccos does, it is awesome - you just have to get a setup that works for you and tracks your shots reliably.

Very strange update from yesterday.  I "thought" I had charged my Link using a portable USB battery, but when I got to the course the Link was dead.  It was a cold day with frozen greens and I did not want to mess with missing shots so I just put the phone in an exterior sleeve of my golf bag where the bottom of the phone was slightly above the pocket - well damned if that thing did not catch quite a few shots.  I shot 79 and it got 54 shots, and the shots it got were ones that would be missed in my pocket.

I am still baffled by the performance of the app on my phone.  The takeaway for me is that I will be putting a micro USB cable in my golf bag so I can charge the link if need be.  I carry a SUB battery pack that doubles as a hand warmer (that thing eliminates "Hot Hands")

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

I have about 160 rounds using Arccos over the last nearly three years.  Wont talk about the past since that’s been done a few times already.

I got used to having the Phone in the pocket thing but ultimately found it to be distracting since I was checking the phone  too  often.  When Link was announced I signed up within 60 seconds of getting the email . As we will all know it took months, but I finally got my mine middle summer.  Found it to be far more reliable in terms of shot acquisition than phone - also did a period with Apple Watch which was very unfulfilling.  Had the “thought I charged it” moments a few times and when I reached out to Arccos they said new firmware was coming to help fix it - looks like the device would be “on” after charging so it was basically discharging immediately - firmware update enabled an auto shut off I think. 

by end of summer I was pretty happy with the link.  Then as the weather got colder up here in Canada, had to start wearing a jacket.  The link wants to see the sky to be useful so the belt clip approach wasn’t as successful.  So started clipping the link on the jacket pocket - and lost it twice in three days - luckily “find my link” helped me recover it but spent far too much time walking my course backwards to find it again.  So I modified the link to include a small hole in the belt clip to enable a small safety cable that provided a second level of loss protection.  Totally helped solve my major issue. I’d suggest same for anyone like me who is able to lose things 😉

pros - much more reliable shot detection, better putt data collection, rescued phone in pocket distraction, Arccos team is constantly updating the software, data is awesome especially strokes gained 

cons - seems like it’s designed only for use in climates wear jackets or other belt covering  clothing might exist, slightly geeky looking, increases total cost of ownership with link purchase and subscriptions for new users 

Edited by taskerc

• 3 weeks later...

How would you guys and gals that have it say that the battery life is for the link? I am planning on playing some tournaments again this year where some are 36 hole tournaments, and really don´t like playing with my phone in the pocket.

Ping G430 LST 9* Kai'li White
Ping G425 Max 14.5* PX HZRDUS Yellow HC
Ping G425 Max 20.5* PX Evenflow Riptide LX Proto
Ping i230 4-P DG 120 X100
Ping Glide 4.0 52, 56, 60 DG TI S400
Ping PLD Anser

2 hours ago, Remon said:

How would you guys and gals that have it say that the battery life is for the link? I am planning on playing some tournaments again this year where some are 36 hole tournaments, and really don´t like playing with my phone in the pocket.

its rated for 10 hours life - i've used a portable USB charging device to top up my link in the past but only as a precaution - with a good capacity charging device I found 45 minutes brought it back to 80% easily

• Like 1

The missed shot things seems strange to me because it's been very rare for me. I just started using Arccos a year ago, just over 8.3K shots according to the app, and I have probably had to manually add shots 20 times, outside of the putter. I always have to go back through the scorecard to verify each hole because of either the putts being off or it picked up a wedge I put down green side. For me the missed shots are mostly when I screw up and have a second shot from near the last one such as needing 2 to get out of a bunker or flubbing a chip. 

Is the GPS in the link better than the phone? I don't know what it is but sometimes Arccos seems to have brain farts on it's location where it's off by a good 10- 15 yards. This seems to be rare as well but I have seen it map my shot to the front of a green or even short when I landed it middle for example. I really don't notice it on other shots since it's too hard to tell.

15 hours ago, taskerc said:

its rated for 10 hours life - i've used a portable USB charging device to top up my link in the past but only as a precaution - with a good capacity charging device I found 45 minutes brought it back to 80% easily

Thanks buddy appreciate the quick reply. Sounds lika a quick charge between rounds with a power bank should keep it going for 36 holes

Ping G430 LST 9* Kai'li White
Ping G425 Max 14.5* PX HZRDUS Yellow HC
Ping G425 Max 20.5* PX Evenflow Riptide LX Proto
Ping i230 4-P DG 120 X100
Ping Glide 4.0 52, 56, 60 DG TI S400
Ping PLD Anser

So of course I got my Link and after three rounds it has been super cold(or colder than I am going to play) in Atlanta for the last three weeks.  However, before the cold weather set in I was able to get three rounds with the Link.

It has a tone better than keeping the phone in your pocket.  I didn't use the mark the pin position every time as I still have not built a routine with it yet.  IN those three rounds the Link only missed one shot from the tee or fairway.  It did miss a chunked chip that came back to my feet which I can see why, the chunk probably sounded like a practice swing.

All in all I will use the Link, and I think it is a great addition to the Arccos product and makes it much more user friendly.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

3 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

So of course I got my Link and after three rounds it has been super cold(or colder than I am going to play) in Atlanta for the last three weeks.  However, before the cold weather set in I was able to get three rounds with the Link.

It has a tone better than keeping the phone in your pocket.  I didn't use the mark the pin position every time as I still have not built a routine with it yet.  IN those three rounds the Link only missed one shot from the tee or fairway.  It did miss a chunked chip that came back to my feet which I can see why, the chunk probably sounded like a practice swing.

All in all I will use the Link, and I think it is a great addition to the Arccos product and makes it much more user friendly.

FYI, it doesn't matter what it sounds like because it is listening for the (inaudible to use) beep from the sensor on your club to detect a swing.

This is why they say it gives "auto mulligans" for any swings within a certain distance (I think like 5 yards or something). You'll see the same thing if you have to do a little knockout shot from behind a tree or something or take two swings to get out of a bunker. 

• 4 weeks later...

So far my link has proven useful for eliminating battery drain on my phone but it misses a lot of shots.

My other issue with Arccos is that I tend to grip near the top of my clubs. "Remember to choke down because there is an Arccos sensor there" is another conscious thought I need before every shot and there's plenty going on upstairs already.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my Link recently, and took it out for the first time for a round yesterday. I had charged it when I first got it, and not since. It prompted me in the Arccos app to update the Link firmware when I turned on the Link, which was on the way to the 1st tee, but that did complete pretty quickly. It was quite windy when I played, and it seemed to have trouble picking up shots early on, but improved as things went on during the first half of the round. Then it shut off after my tee shot on the 9th hole, I believe because the battery was dead, and I assume that's because I hadn't charged it recently, and it had been sitting in a cold garage for a couple of months. It should be fully charged now, and I'm going to give it another try on Sunday. The concept is great -- being able to mark the hole location without pulling out my phone, and not needing to carry my phone around while I'm playing are both big selling points, so if it actually works well, it'll be really great to have.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

After some time, I have been having great luck with the Arccos link.  It seems to only miss a few shots and is doing very well at picking up putts.  My sensors are older and were used when i bought them.  So some of them are starting to quit and I think that is why it misses shots.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

I used the Link again yesterday, and the battery was fine, and there wasn’t a lot of wind, and it caught basically all of my shots—just as accurate as the normal phone-in-pocket setup. If that continues, being able to shed the phone will make it a very worthwhile investment.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x