Ben Hogan PTx Pro Irons???

tahrenholz98

The new Ben Hogan irons have been catching my eye lately. My dad has played BH Apex plus irons for the last 20 years and loves them. I'm currently gaming the original AP2's from 2008 and love them, but the price point for a brand new set of the Hogan's has caught my eye. Anyone out there game these or have some experience with them? Any thoughts or opinions are welcomed!

Titleist 917 D2 PX Evenflow Blue 

Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 3-wood

Ping Anser 4 hybrid

OG AP2's PX 5.5

SM5 52 08 F

SM7 56 08 M

SM7 60 08 M

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

While I haven't gamed them yet, I did pick up the split set with the UiHi 4i, PTx Pro 5-7 and Icon 8-PW and have to say they look great (save for the uihi and my personal preference).  Just waiting on a reshaft as I'm not a KBS fan at all and look forward to getting these out.  Price point is very good for the US market, IF you like one of the 3 shafts they offer.  For the Canadian market, no demos and they didn't seem interested in taking my money for heads only so I could build up, so got a set for much cheaper on the bay...

• Like 1

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I have a full set of Icons, but demoed the PTx as well.  I like the PTx Pro in the long irons but really love the way the 6i-P look in the Icon.  If BH allowed you to customize a set where you could get single irons, I think the PTx Pro are PERFECT for the longer irons.  They are forgiving and feel nice.  Face seemed hot and the offset isnt all that terrible.  I am a fan of the DG S300 so thats what I went with and I am very satisfied.  I did order a UiHi for a 4i replacement as the Icon 4i is taking some getting used to, but I think if you are playing the OG AP2, the PTx Pro would be an easy transition.  The V sole is great and like you said, the price can't be beat IMO.  I am contemplating selling my 745s to pick up a full set of PTx Pros at the moment.... Wait time from date of order is about a month right now.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I got the PTx Pros last May. I was one of the original testers here on Wrx, and I still have them in my bag. I’m not planning on replacing them anytime soon.  

I originally put my old DGTI s400 shafts in them and recently swapped them out for some Modus 125s. 

Longer irons are very forgiving, and I have no issues hitting the ball lower if I need to. I mainly use the 5-P, but do toss in the 4 iron on occasion. Right now it’s got a Fujikura Pro 115 graphite iron in it and I’m liking it a lot. I don’t know if it’ll replace my Adams 23* hybrid. That club has been in my bag for years. 

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Thanks for the insight everyone. Great to hear that they perform well as I love the looks and have some connection as my Dad has gamed Hogans as long as I've been alive. Might have to make some changes to the bag this winter!

Ping Anser 4 hybrid

OG AP2's PX 5.5

SM5 52 08 F

SM7 56 08 M

SM7 60 08 M

I’m looking forward to my set thru Club Champion.  Went with PTx Pro Black 5-PW, Nippon Modus 120 S, +.5”.  The Black heads hide the offset in the long irons a little better.  These were consistent performers over 3 separate “sessions”

at Club Champion.  I was leaning towards PXG 0311P Gen 3, but found the PTx Pro’s more consistent and better performing and feeling on my misses (heel side).  Got another 3 weeks before they get here.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

1 hour ago, bjp1 said:

I’m looking forward to my set thru Club Champion.  Went with PTx Pro Black 5-PW, Nippon Modus 120 S, +.5”.  The Black heads hide the offset in the long irons a little better.  These were consistent performers over 3 separate “sessions”

at Club Champion.  I was leaning towards PXG 0311P Gen 3, but found the PTx Pro’s more consistent and better performing and feeling on my misses (heel side).  Got another 3 weeks before they get here.

How did the pricing through Club Champion work out? Basically pay the same price as on Hogan's website, plus the MSRP of the shafts, plus build cost?  I'm assuming it would basically be the same as with other brands, but wasn't positive given that it's basically one of very few places to be able to hit their clubs before purchase. 

Edited by rtraudt

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 10:54 PM, rtraudt said:

How did the pricing through Club Champion work out? Basically pay the same price as on Hogan's website, plus the MSRP of the shafts, plus build cost?  I'm assuming it would basically be the same as with other brands, but wasn't positive given that it's basically one of very few places to be able to hit their clubs before purchase. 

rtraudt - You've described the pricing structure accurately.  There's room to negotiate some of that price down, at least I asked for and received it.  Mine build is supposed to be ready for pickup on Thursday, so I hope to put them in play this weekend.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

I just received my combo set last night and from a pure looks perspective, the set is great. I was pleasantly surprised at the look of the Ptx pros. I was a little worried the head size and top line would be larger than my current gamers (JPX 800 Pro) but the Ptx Pros look much more compact. They blend really nicely into the Icons. Purely aesthetic analysis at this point but hope to get out later this week to knock them around.

Edited by beazlejs
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, beazlejs said:

I just received my combo set last night and from a pure looks perspective, the set is great. I was pleasantly surprised at the look of the Ptx pros. I was a little worried the head size and top line would be larger than my current gamers (JPX 800 Pro) but the Ptx Pros look much more compact. They blend really nicely into the Icons. Purely aesthetic analysis at this point but hope to get out later this week to knock them around.

Can you send come pics of the combo set?

Have the combo set and I think it’s the way to go. I have had their regular ptx pros too but in the 8 iron down I do not think you lose much in distance or forgiveness going with the icons and gain in my opinion the ability to really go at flags. 

I have shot my best rounds with this combo set and just added their new hybrid to the bag although I did have that reshafted. I am big Hogan fan so a little biased but I think they are very good clubs at a very good price point. 

Side note I had them made to standard titleist lengths as the hogan standard has slightly longer 4 and 5 irons. 

• Like 1

I love the Satin finish... I do love my black Icons, but part of me does still wonder if the combo may have been the way to go.  Let us know how they play for you!

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

On 10/8/2020 at 3:30 AM, beazlejs said:

Here are some picture. I feel like they don’t do the set justice, but maybe they’ll help some people on the fence one way or the other. 

OMG, they DO look nice. Transition from 7 to 8 is also very nice. I wish either DG or KBS Tour V would fit me =/ Might have to order a demo to give Tour V another try

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 8:30 PM, beazlejs said:

Here are some picture. I feel like they don’t do the set justice, but maybe they’ll help some people on the fence one way or the other. 

D4D1F8BB-86EE-493A-A111-363AC6BF9E02.jpeg

87C5B4C1-3700-4F0A-AB53-7116B7BF1DBE.jpeg

957A962D-4547-4A33-81F0-38701F21B69B.jpeg

6CD930C4-2E26-4114-AABC-CE796888BB54.jpeg

5C38F308-4183-41F9-A238-CF872A59DF04.jpeg

269BF8DE-4384-4B4B-927B-76956453F67B.jpeg

Thanks for sharing! Those are cleannnnn

Ping Anser 4 hybrid

OG AP2's PX 5.5

SM5 52 08 F

SM7 56 08 M

SM7 60 08 M

• 2 weeks later...

I just demoed the PTx Pros and came away pleased. They seemed to check off all the boxes for me.  I even stuck the 6i within two feet of the pin on a 180 yard approach shot today. It was a spiritual experience,lol.  I like the blade appearance but it’s still big enough to be forgiving and doesn’t look like a failed science experiment that will be replaced in 6 months.  I ordered the black ones because they are said to hold up better. They will be in in two weeks and I can’t wait. I went with stiff graphite shafts to save my hands. I know it will take some of the feel, but there is plenty left over. Plenty of shot shaping ability to be had and folks would stop me on driving range and ask about the.  They have a nice eye appeal. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spade Golf said:

I just demoed the PTx Pros and came away pleased. They seemed to check off all the boxes for me.  I even stuck the 6i within two feet of the pin on a 180 yard approach shot today. It was a spiritual experience,lol.  I like the blade appearance but it’s still big enough to be forgiving and doesn’t look like a failed science experiment that will be replaced in 6 months.  I ordered the black ones because they are said to hold up better. They will be in in two weeks and I can’t wait. I went with stiff graphite shafts to save my hands. I know it will take some of the feel, but there is plenty left over. Plenty of shot shaping ability to be had and folks would stop me on driving range and ask about the.  They have a nice eye appeal. 

You wont be disappointed with the black... have had my icons for a couple months now and I am amazed at how well this finish is holding up.  Solid irons overall.

• Thanks 1

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

On 11/13/2020 at 7:26 AM, Nixhex524 said:

You wont be disappointed with the black... have had my icons for a couple months now and I am amazed at how well this finish is holding up.  Solid irons overall.

I’m ready for them to come in.  They say the black finish is just as durable as the nickel chrome.  I really wanted the Icons but my game ain’t there.  I think the PTx Pros are about as much a club as I can handle.  

24 minutes ago, Spade Golf said:

I’m ready for them to come in.  They say the black finish is just as durable as the nickel chrome.  I really wanted the Icons but my game ain’t there.  I think the PTx Pros are about as much a club as I can handle.  

I believe it... I have hit out of plenty of fairway bunkers and they are still fine...  Really impressive.  Also, as pretty as the icons are, they can be a bit demanding, especially in the longer irons.... I wish Hogan would let you choose what PTx long irons you want, up to 6 would be fine but really only the 4 and 5 are necessary IMO.  Report back when you get them!

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

3 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

I believe it... I have hit out of plenty of fairway bunkers and they are still fine...  Really impressive.  Also, as pretty as the icons are, they can be a bit demanding, especially in the longer irons.... I wish Hogan would let you choose what PTx long irons you want, up to 6 would be fine but really only the 4 and 5 are necessary IMO.  Report back when you get them!

I sure will.  

Anyone compare the Edges to the Ptx pros? Friend of mine has the Edge model and I hit them on the range. Fell in love with the clubs. Picked up 10 or so yards and probably 20 feet in peak height. I'm sure the graphite shaft and weaker lofts played a large roll in the extra carry. I'm coming from J15s with stiff DG Pro shafts. I'm thinking the recoils in stiff may be a better fit. I much prefer the aesthetics of the Ptx Pro over the Edge. I prefer the cleaner lines on the back and reduced offset. I'm hoping to get very similar performance in the better looking head but I've been on the wait list to order demo irons for over a month.

• Thanks 1

Just now, naj959 said:

Anyone compare the Edges to the Ptx pros? Friend of mine has the Edge model and I hit them on the range. Fell in love with the clubs. Picked up 10 or so yards and probably 20 feet in peak height. I'm sure the graphite shaft and weaker lofts played a large roll in the extra carry. I'm coming from J15s with stiff DG Pro shafts. I'm thinking the recoils in stiff may be a better fit. I much prefer the aesthetics of the Ptx Pro over the Edge. I prefer the cleaner lines on the back and reduced offset. I'm hoping to get very similar performance in the better looking head but I've been on the wait list to order demo irons for over a month.

I could be wrong but I think the Edges are more GI while the PTx Pro is probably more of a player CB so maybe a touch less forgiving but also very friendly in their own right... If you're a better ball striker I would think the PTx Pro would be just fine.

• Like 1

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

On 11/14/2020 at 2:25 PM, naj959 said:

My game right now is right on the line between the two and if they had the edges in black I probably would have looked harder at them. Right now Ben Hogan is out of stock on the Edge Irons and I was told they will be introducing a new series of Edge irons this Spring. They also won’t have the current Edges in stock until after the new year. First set of irons I ever bought new with my own money was a set of GDC Edges so the branding does have sentimental value to me. Still have that set and redid them for my son. I went with the Recoil Stiff graphite in the PTx Pros in Black. They come in tomorrow so I will let you know how they perform this weekend 

• Thanks 1