Options to replace both my 3w and 5w with just a 4 wood (or delofted 5w)

wcdixon

I too just did what others above have mentioned. I picked up a Titleist TS2 16.5* FW to replace my 3 & 5 woods...I bomb it and so happy I did it. I then was able to drop in a TM SIM 7w, ala Dustin Johnson and my God...what an incredibly easy club to hit!! I hadn't hit a 7w since the 90's...and have had a plethora of hybrids in the last 20 years...of which I'd always fight the random hook with. The 7w is about as easy as a wedge for me to swing and hit 215-220 yard bombs that will stop on a green that I'd never be able to consistently pull off with a 3i or 3h...I'm a convert, for sure

• Like 1

Yup, swapped my TM Jetspeed 3 wood and my old "Duffy" TM 4/5 wood with a Titleist 917 16.5* 4 wood, using a 3 wood length shaft in it. Can get it out far enough off the tee, can hit it a bit easier than the Jetspeed 3 wood off the deck.

The Jetspeed is a tour issue club, and the face is crazy hot. I hit it almost as far as my driver off the tee, and it wasn't as friendly off the deck as the 4 wood I just added. 

• Like 1

With your shot tendencies I’d be getting a 3 wood and lofting up whilst shortening the shaft to 5 wood length. I’ve done this with an epic flash with a smoke in 6.0. Plays stiff to flex but not as harsh as a 6.5. 

My back ups are both g20 3 and 5 wood in tfc x flex. Shock horror they’re better clubs than the epic flash but lack the versatility. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DaveMc82 said:

With your shot tendencies I’d be getting a 3 wood and lofting up whilst shortening the shaft to 5 wood length. I’ve done this with an epic flash with a smoke in 6.0. Plays stiff to flex but not as harsh as a 6.5. 

My back ups are both g20 3 and 5 wood in tfc x flex. Shock horror they’re better clubs than the epic flash but lack the versatility. 

Interesting you say that. Last night I hit the Rogue 4w, the Ping g410 5w lofted down to 16.5, and the Epic Flash 5w lofted down to 17* - all flew and felt okay, with the Rogue and Ping averaging around 225-230 yds and the Epic Flash the clear winner distance-wise topping out at 235-238 yds total distance. However just to mess with my head I pulled out an old Ping G 3w that I hadn't hit in a while and I'd already trimmed the shaft a little shorter and lofted it up to 16* and it was banging! Not as long as the G410 or Epic Flash...more like 225yds average but felt good and so straight/slight draw even and easy to hit. But because I like the smaller clubhead size on my fairway woods will likely go with the Epic Flash for now.

Ping G410 12 degree at 11* Alta CB 55 soft reg

Sim 2 Max 3 HL 16.5* Ventus Blue 5A

Callaway Steelhead XR 7w 21* - Tensei CK Series 55 reg

Stealth 5 hybrid at 25* Ventus Red 5A  

Callaway Mavrik Pro 6i-AW - UST Recoil ES 760 SmacWrap f3

Titleist SM7 52*W, 56*W - Vista Pro reg graphite

White Hot R-Ball 35"

5 minutes ago, wcdixon said:

Interesting you say that. Last night I hit the Rogue 4w, the Ping g410 5w lofted down to 16.5, and the Epic Flash 5w lofted down to 17* - all flew and felt okay, with the Rogue and Ping averaging around 225-230 yds and the Epic Flash the clear winner distance-wise topping out at 235-238 yds total distance. However just to mess with my head I pulled out an old Ping G 3w that I hadn't hit in a while and I'd already trimmed the shaft a little shorter and lofted it up to 16* and it was banging! Not as long as the G410 or Epic Flash...more like 225yds average but felt good and so straight/slight draw even and easy to hit. But because I like the smaller clubhead size on my fairway woods will likely go with the Epic Flash for now.

You do what suits you. You could always acquire an epic flash 3 wood and swap the 5 wood shaft into it. That way you have the option of having both to use should you go to a where you want both again. 

• Like 1

I am gaming a Mavik SZ 4W (16.5 degrees) with a VA Composites Nemesys shaft at 42.5".  To my eye its a neutral face angle and is a bit flatter than some other FWs.  I am a smooth swinger with a swing speed that is slightly lower than yours and have no issues flighting the ball on a mid-high/high trajectory, either off the tee, or off the turf.  Bottom line is that I don't miss my 3 wood and enjoy the versatility of the 4 wood.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ/Mavrik 10.5 degree with VA Composites Nemesys 55R/VA Composites 54R

Callaway Mavrik SZ/Mavrik 16.5 degree with VA Composites Nemesys 65R/VA Composites 64R

Callaway Mavrik Pro 20 degree/Ping G410 19 degree with GD Tour AD HY 75R/VA Composites Raijin 84R

Ping I210 (4-UW/4-PW; red dot) with Aerotech Steelfiber I95 R/Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105R

Ping Glide Forged wedges (54/58; orange dot)/Ping Glide 3.0 (50/54/58; orange dot) with Aerotech Steelfiber I95 R/NS Pro Modus 3 105R

Piretti Savona Elite Black Special Edition 34"/Piretti Teramo Classic 34"

Srixon Z Star

I am a fan of the 4 woods vs carrying a 3 wood and 5 wood for quite some time now.  So I go driver, 4 wood and hybrid for the top end of the bag!

I bought the Cobra F9 3/4 wood and 5/6 wood to try them but after only one round I put the 4 wood back in the bag and the Cobra's just sit here!  I should post them some day!  

On 11/20/2020 at 7:30 PM, lil'mike said:

I am a fan of the 4 woods vs carrying a 3 wood and 5 wood for quite some time now.  So I go driver, 4 wood and hybrid for the top end of the bag!

I bought the Cobra F9 3/4 wood and 5/6 wood to try them but after only one round I put the 4 wood back in the bag and the Cobra's just sit here!  I should post them some day!  

I didn't mind the Cobra f8 3/4 I hit last year but didn't love it either - what make/model 4W and hybrid do you game?

White Hot R-Ball 35"

6 hours ago, wcdixon said:

I didn't mind the Cobra f8 3/4 I hit last year but didn't love it either - what make/model 4W and hybrid do you game?

I use the Cally Steelhead XR 4wood and the old Ping Rapture 21 degree hybrid.  I really like the feel of the Steelhead XR 4wd and nothing has replaced the Ping Rapture hybrid yet!  Although I may look at getting a Mavrik 4wood and Mavrik 20 deg hybrid since I have about $1100 in gift cards from them!  lol

Edited by lil'mike
  • Like 1

I game a sim 5w tuned to 17* and it's as long or longer than most 3w I've tried. Probably my favorite wood I've owned since rbz 3w

Edited by cj4501
  • Like 1

LTDx 9* AD-VR6x 

Cleveland Launcher Xl Halo 15*

Rad Speed 19* Hybrid

ZX5 MKII 5-AW

CBX 2 54*

TM Big Foot 58*

Odyssey Versa 3 T

Chrome Soft X-LS

My driver SS is similar to yours and my tempo is medium smooth.

I've used a Tour Edge Exotics for 3 yrs - the EX10 Beta 4 wd. 16.5 deg - had a Ti face. It was very likable. BUT then I bought a TEE EXS 220 16.5 in 43 inches but not the stock shaft - I took the Graphite Design AD F (Fairway Shaft that has a softer tip) from my old fairway and had it installed into the EXS 220.

Before you blow me off, look at the pluggedingolf.com review and the TXG review of the EXS 220. Both have extreme ball speed and forgiveness off the shallow face that gets the ball in the air (with the right shaft as explained above)

I had the Rogue and other Callaway Woods and they did not get enough height I tried the Mavrik - it was better than other Callaways at getting the bacll in the air with the Riptide 60. For me, the EXS 220 with the GD AD F 55g (they also have a 65g shaft) was superior. Even my instructor was surprised and preferred It for me over his M5 (?) with Ti face. I hit his too, with a TPT Red Proto shaft and my combo gave better stats.

It's one to take seriously.

I just picked up the EXS 220 5 wood and am putting in the GD AD F 65g shaft.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

On 11/18/2020 at 5:11 AM, shanx said:

Yup, swapped my TM Jetspeed 3 wood and my old "Duffy" TM 4/5 wood with a Titleist 917 16.5* 4 wood, using a 3 wood length shaft in it. Can get it out far enough off the tee, can hit it a bit easier than the Jetspeed 3 wood off the deck.

The Jetspeed is a tour issue club, and the face is crazy hot. I hit it almost as far as my driver off the tee, and it wasn't as friendly off the deck as the 4 wood I just added. 

I have 917 D2 4 wood and it is one of the best fairway woods I have tried. Sweet as a nut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to play Ping G 4 woods back in the G15 sort of days and beyond, but had since moved into 3 (playing at 16*), 5 (playing at 18*) and 7 (playing at 21*).  I found myself using the 7 wood a lot during a round, but the 3 and 5 not so much. 

Thanks to some inspiration from this thread, I am now ending the season taking out the 3 wood, and dialing down the 5 wood to 17*, and dialing down the 7 wood to 20*.  This allows me to gap in my 4 hybrid, and add back in my 5 iron.  I like this more streamlined bag, and think it will stick.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

7 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

I used to play Ping G 4 woods back in the G15 sort of days and beyond, but had since moved into 3 (playing at 16*), 5 (playing at 18*) and 7 (playing at 21*).  I found myself using the 7 wood a lot during a round, but the 3 and 5 not so much. 

Thanks to some inspiration from this thread, I am now ending the season taking out the 3 wood, and dialing down the 5 wood to 17*, and dialing down the 7 wood to 20*.  This allows me to gap in my 4 hybrid, and add back in my 5 iron.  I like this more streamlined bag, and think it will stick.

Sounds like a great move - pretty much the same as what i'm trying - i've added a GAPR Mid 4 hybrid at 20* with the room in bag it opened up. And hey, if it ends up hurting your game it's easy enough to switch back.

White Hot R-Ball 35"

G400 5 and 7 woods, both with longer shafts and set at big minus

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x