Need to Fix Backswing/Takeaway

FearTheDeer

Guys,

I have been struggling with a disconnected takeaway almost from the get-go for years which for some reason causes me to get flat/inside going back which just causes a crazy amount of compensations in the downswing that I am able to play decent golf with. Any tips/drills that you guys could advise to get on the train to fix this? I've put down alignment sticks to practice a connected takeaway which works great and as soon as that is taken away...boom! Back to normal.

Golf season is essentially over here in Wisconsin so I'm ready to put in the hours this offseason to solve this issue and to shorten my arm swing. I have attached a DTL video to show this issue. I can get a FO video in the coming days, but it might be a while. Thanks guys!

Edited by FearTheDeer

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5* @ 9.5- Diamana DF 60TX

Titleist TSR3 15* - Tensei AV Raw Blue 85TX

Titleist TS2 21* @ 20.75* - Diamana BF 80TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW - DGX100 Tour Issue

TaylorMade MG3 50/56/60 - DGS400 Tour Issue

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

Titleist ProV1x

6 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Do yourself a favour and head over to Monte's site. The No Turn Cast swing is revolutionising golf for lots of us. Best $30 you'll ever spend.

Well shucks, looks like he even has a Black Friday special going for this video series ($18.99!)

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

Titleist ProV1x

Almost a reverse Freddy Couples move. You make a nice recovery as it looks like a massive OTT move is coming.

What club are you swinging? Any thoughts to standing up a bit taller. Getting those hands more under your ears or chin. Looks like they are stuffed into your pockets. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Great recommendations on Monte's video series.  You can't go wrong there.  

There's a bunch of stuff you could look to improve.  But since you mentioned sucking it inside.  

Your hips are way too open and way too early.  It also looks like your club watching on the takeway, making your head turn away from the target.  All these things are allowing your body to open up too much, too soon.  You need to stay more centered over the ball for longer.  Don't over think it.  Your hands hold the club.  To keep the club in front of your body (not suck it inside) keep your hands in front of you for longer.  

Just look at the comparison.  Look at the hip angles, head and club position.  

Takeaway.png

Rahm Takeaway.png

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, wagolfer7 said:

There's a bunch of stuff you could look to improve.  But since you mentioned sucking it inside.  

Your hips are way too open and way too early.  It also looks like your club watching on the takeway, making your head turn away from the target.  All these things are allowing your body to open up too much, too soon.  You need to stay more centered over the ball for longer.  Don't over think it.  Your hands hold the club.  To keep the club in front of your body (not suck it inside) keep your hands in front of you for longer.  

Takeaway.png

Rahm Takeaway.png

Good post!

Second or third or whatever on Monte's NTC vid. Having the first part of the backswing focus on getting the hands/wrists set and maybe even "feeling" like you are not turning (before making the move to 8oclock) will help a lot. You will still turn, of course, but it will be a less exaggerated move.

On 11/23/2020 at 1:07 PM, wagolfer7 said:

Takeaway.png

Rahm Takeaway.png

Appreciate the feedback! I have purchased Monte’s NTC series and have been watching and working on the drills.

But while doing this, I still feel that perhaps I am opening up too early. Is this as easy as feeling a little hip restriction going back? I know they should be “free” in the backswing, but will light restriction to me be what actually needs to be done? Feel vs. real, etc.

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

Titleist ProV1x

14 hours ago, FearTheDeer said:

Appreciate the feedback! I have purchased Monte’s NTC series and have been watching and working on the drills.

But while doing this, I still feel that perhaps I am opening up too early. Is this as easy as feeling a little hip restriction going back? I know they should be “free” in the backswing, but will light restriction to me be what actually needs to be done? Feel vs. real, etc.

Try not to think about what your body is doing at all. Just set the wrists and get to 7 o'clock. Work on that until you have it down. Your body will react. 

• Like 1

We need an expert in here but please don't start restricting your hip turn yet.   Your hip turn looks nice and free.  I don't believe that's your issue.  Your issue is, as you identified, your arms get disconnected early, and then you roll the club head way inside.  It's pretty classic.  You've got to do the exact opposite.  Look at this great stick drill from Dan Carraher.  Get  your hands in earlier and your shaft steeper (and clubface not as open). 

(And, tbh, I think Rahm is the last person to be emulating as a model.  He actually gets his hands not going inside much either, and then rolls the clubhead a little inside a bit like an amateur pattern, with a somewhat constricted hip turn.)

Also, Go Pack!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-kuVOOl1B6/?hl=en

Edited by chigolfer1

On 12/1/2020 at 12:17 PM, chigolfer1 said:

We need an expert in here but please don't start restricting your hip turn yet.   Your hip turn looks nice and free.  I don't believe that's your issue.  Your issue is, as you identified, your arms get disconnected early, and then you roll the club head way inside.  It's pretty classic.  You've got to do the exact opposite.  Look at this great stick drill from Dan Carraher.  Get  your hands in earlier and your shaft steeper (and clubface not as open). 

(And, tbh, I think Rahm is the last person to be emulating as a model.  He actually gets his hands not going inside much either, and then rolls the clubhead a little inside a bit like an amateur pattern, with a somewhat constricted hip turn.)

Also, Go Pack!

Love that stick drill! Thanks for the insight my friend!

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

Titleist ProV1x

4 minutes ago, FearTheDeer said:

Love that stick drill! Thanks for the insight my friend!

The nice thing is you can use it on the course too, not with the stick of course.  But, on the tee or whatever, just grab a shaft way down on the club, and do a mini drill with it if you feel like you're starting to do the hands out/clubhead rolled in pattern again.

Just now, chigolfer1 said:

The nice thing is you can use it on the course too, not with the stick of course.  But, on the tee or whatever, just grab a shaft way down on the club, and do a mini drill with it if you feel like you're starting to do the hands out/clubhead rolled in pattern again.

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

Now if I could just get my darn chin separated from my lead shoulder in transition, I’d be all set!

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

Titleist ProV1x

Don't focus too hard on making a "one piece takeaway." That works for some people but it an also add tension and rob you of your natural speed.

A better thought might be to try to keep the clubhead outside/on top of the swing plane a little longer as you go back. For some people this feels like "hands inside" or pushing down on the grip with the butt of your lead hand. It keeps the center of mass of the club outside the plane longer and makes it more likely to come down under the plane (i.e. shallowing on the downswing). 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Here is Jack Nicklaus addressing a driver, 5-iron and wedge. Notice his neutral grip, right shoulder well below left shoulder, and straight line formed between the club shaft and his left arm.  If one uses these sound fundamental address technique fundamentals his/her entire swing will be naturally good looking and effective.

Nicklaus address position.jpg

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I appreciate all of the insight, guys!

I watch my backswing and see my club head (from the camera angle I’ll admit) pass through my waistline on the way back and then see my right hand almost pointing to the sky as I get longer and longer before I end up disconnected and across the line with a cupped left wrist.

I'm not claiming to know exactly what the “correct” way is or how to achieve my end goal, but I just wonder if my takeaway and it’s disconnection is the culprit in me getting long at the top with my arms.

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

Titleist ProV1x

12 hours ago, FearTheDeer said:

I appreciate all of the insight, guys!

I watch my backswing and see my club head (from the camera angle I’ll admit) pass through my waistline on the way back and then see my right hand almost pointing to the sky as I get longer and longer before I end up disconnected and across the line with a cupped left wrist.

I'm not claiming to know exactly what the “correct” way is or how to achieve my end goal, but I just wonder if my takeaway and it’s disconnection is the culprit in me getting long at the top with my arms.

Honestly, stop wasting time with advice from us idiots and buy NTC. I've been a reasonable golfer for many years, but the NTC has opened my eyes wide since buying it. All of your issues will disappear when working on the correct moves. 

Sweep away many of your backswing concerns using a broom.  Rest it edgewise on the ground at address and swing.  It's dead weight and length will start to address the flat and inside move on its own so  from the top you can release the broom with a proper amount of forearm rotation that was built in on the way back.   

Untitledjm.png

Yes you need to improve your takeaway/backswing and even your setup - you are too close to the ball.    But that alone will not improve what you do in the transition and downswing.    No harm in buying NTC but you’d be best served by having an online live lesson with monte - or if not monte then find a really good instructor close and have an in person.     

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

On 12/7/2020 at 2:47 AM, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

322440E6-886C-448A-9F2A-FAAFF59DB363.jpeg.223d2ec6b81250e97cbbc9486bd930fb.jpeg

You might try the drill where you grip down on the club and bring the butt to your stomach and keep it there while you do the takeaway.

ha, that's cool.  Also, not so different than the Dan Carraher drill I linked above except you have an alignment stick on right side of hip.  But, it accomplishes essentially the same thing.

Any new vids from the OP on your progress??

Still following. I will make sure to post a video in the past few days. I haven't been able to get to the range.

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

Titleist ProV1x

This is a good drill. The Nick Price Takeaway Drill. Helped me with takeaway issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXlnbcfcO_A

Edited by mholmstrom
  • Like 2

DRIVER: Cobra Speedzone 10.5°  UST Elements Gold 6F4 

3-4 WOOD: Cobra King F7  14° Fujikura Pro 65S 

3 HYBRID: Titleist 910H  19° Diamana Ahina 90S 

IRONS 5-PW: Taylor Made P7-MC  Nippon  Modus  Tour 130S

GW: Titleist Vokey SM 8 F Grind  50.08 

SW: Titleist Vokey SM8 S Grind 54.10

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 S Grind 58.10 

P: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Black 

BALL: Taylor Made TP5 Pix 2.0

On 11/23/2020 at 10:28 AM, FearTheDeer said:

Guys,

I have been struggling with a disconnected takeaway almost from the get-go for years which for some reason causes me to get flat/inside going back which just causes a crazy amount of compensations in the downswing that I am able to play decent golf with. Any tips/drills that you guys could advise to get on the train to fix this? I've put down alignment sticks to practice a connected takeaway which works great and as soon as that is taken away...boom! Back to normal.

Golf season is essentially over here in Wisconsin so I'm ready to put in the hours this offseason to solve this issue and to shorten my arm swing. I have attached a DTL video to show this issue. I can get a FO video in the coming days, but it might be a while. Thanks guys!

Best drill I’ve ever done for the golf swing. Keep the alignment stick on your lead hip and then feel like you’re pointing it behind your trail heel at the top. Perfect golf swing. 

On 12/18/2020 at 7:44 PM, FearTheDeer said:

Still following. I will make sure to post a video in the past few days. I haven't been able to get to the range.

There are lots of good ways to swing.  All of them require that the arms and body are either synchronized or connected.  Connection is far easier for most players to achieve.  You are focused on connection and want to find better ways.

I am no expert swing analyst, but what I see is a severe inside takeaway, followed by some re-routing of the club to get the shaft more upright as you approach the top.  Then you have things going on in the transition and downswing that I can’t describe.  The swing looks complex.

Jimmy Ballard has taught amateurs and literally hundreds of tour pros in the last 45+ years.  The basis of it all is connection.  Here is an old video that shows a simple idea for how he teaches connection, and what he teaches is as good today as it was back then:

Here are some swings by arguably the finest female player to ever breath air.  She never worked with Ballard but she has studied his methods and gives him a lot of credit for her swing.  Note the movement of her left elbow and the simplicity of her swing in comparison to yours:

I think that if you give this idea a shot you will find that the club won’t get behind you, the clubface will remain square throughout the swing, the right shoulder will come up into the power position of a baseball batter, and you will have more consistent golf 

People argue with some of Ballard’s swing principles, but nobody argues that he isn’t a master of connection.  Why not listen to an acknowledged master of connection, and see what happens?

I am not a professional golf instructor, I am an amateur just like you.  But I am a retired mechanical engineer and I have an excellent understanding of forces and motions - kinetics and kinematics.  Yes there is a lot more to a golf swing that physics.  But a golf swing cannot defy the laws of physics.  And I have seen far too much instruction over the years that, in reality, defies the laws of physics.  I have never seen Ballard teach a thing that violates physical principles, and this is why I listen closely to what he says.

On Wisconsin! 😉

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...