2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Cheapest Junior (under 40) memberships in Chicagoland

BTee17

Hey All

Been looking at area clubs for junior membership options (36 currently).  Based in the Western Burbs so ideally West or South/North West burbs would be ideal.  As we all know it's not always easy to find numbers.

Looking for a cheap option if possible.  So far have visited and talked with Itasca Country Club.  No membership fee and $395 monthly with a $1,500 annual minimum spend, $600 facility fee for the year.  $27 cart fee.  It was the cheapest private I'd come across.  

I'd heard some of the south side clubs outside of Olympia were reasonable as well.

Anyone know of any I'd be missing within 30-40 minutes of the Oak Brook area?

Thanks!

Black sheep cc?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

In the western burbs there really isn't much, most are very much high end. You mentioned Itasca and that's about the cheapest around to my knowledge, unless you find your way into something like Old Wayne, which last I heard was full and many weren't wild about it. You could try your luck at something like Riverside or River Forest (actually in Elmhurst) but I have no idea of their rates or availability.

If you're willing to travel a little, I know in the past Midlothian had some solid younger member deals a few years back, not sure if that remains. Additionally I know that Flossmoor had new ownership in the past few years and that might be worth investigating current rates as well.

Also, a lot of people joining Naperville CC

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

2 hours ago, VNutz said:

In the western burbs there really isn't much, most are very much high end. You mentioned Itasca and that's about the cheapest around to my knowledge, unless you find your way into something like Old Wayne, which last I heard was full and many weren't wild about it. You could try your luck at something like Riverside or River Forest (actually in Elmhurst) but I have no idea of their rates or availability.

If you're willing to travel a little, I know in the past Midlothian had some solid younger member deals a few years back, not sure if that remains. Additionally I know that Flossmoor had new ownership in the past few years and that might be worth investigating current rates as well.

Thanks for the info.  My thoughts exactly, Hinsdale, Butterfield etc. are all up there price wise.

During my prospect round at Itasca my playing partner mentioned looking at River Forest but they still wanted $28k for initiation for junior members.  I reached out to Riverside and was told $20k and $695 dues.  Flossmoor is comparable at $12k and $700.

A neighbor mentioned Idlewild and the numbers I was given were quite cheap, $2,500 initiation and $300 dues for my age bracket.  At that price point it makes me wonder what the "gotcha's" are. 40 minute drive as well which makes me think the wife wouldn't utilize the pool or clubhouse.

Itasca seems like a better deal more and more.

I'll look into Midlo and Old Wayne.  Much thanks!

My buddy either joined or was doing a trial membership this past summer

seemed like it was reasonable

have you reached out to the club directly?

Edited by geochitown

TM TP5x

There are many things to consider with Itasca ( no driving range, the possibility that they sell half the golf course and make it 9 holes, the tight layout, etc.) but of equal importance is that they dropped membership dues so low that it is sometimes difficult to get a tee time.  I tried numerous times this year during the week and could not get on and that is unusual with a private club.

23 hours ago, BTee17 said:

Thanks for the info.  My thoughts exactly, Hinsdale, Butterfield etc. are all up there price wise.

During my prospect round at Itasca my playing partner mentioned looking at River Forest but they still wanted $28k for initiation for junior members.  I reached out to Riverside and was told $20k and $695 dues.  Flossmoor is comparable at $12k and $700.

A neighbor mentioned Idlewild and the numbers I was given were quite cheap, $2,500 initiation and $300 dues for my age bracket.  At that price point it makes me wonder what the "gotcha's" are. 40 minute drive as well which makes me think the wife wouldn't utilize the pool or clubhouse.

Floosmoor is charging that much for a junior?  That around what Olympia Fields is. I think you are looking at around 17k initiation and 600-700 for your age.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:56 AM, BTee17 said:

Check back with Riverside. I was looking there earlier this year and it was 10k and $500ish for a junior. What you have quoted was over 40 if I remember right. Rolling Green is 12K and like 600. It's also club corp so partner clubs around. 

Check out Crystal Tree in Orland Park. 

Im an intermediate member there (under 40yo). 

Super unique golf course for the area - topography is like nothing else on the south side. 

Pretty similar to the figures for Itasca,  a little more in monthly dues though.  NO initiation currently (that might be changing in 2021 though).

Definitely worth a look.    PM me for more info or just go on their website and inquire. 

Other private courses around the area (not including OFCC) are Midlothian, Prestwick, Idlewild, or Flossmoor.     Just about all of them are outside of your proximity and/or cost requirement though.  

On 12/1/2020 at 4:22 PM, geochitown said:

My buddy either joined or was doing a trial membership this past summer

seemed like it was reasonable

have you reached out to the club directly?

Did he end up joining? I reached out to their membership director.  It doesn't look like they have a pool/tennis which could be a deterrent for the wife being on board

On 12/1/2020 at 5:03 PM, Shriner said:

There are many things to consider with Itasca ( no driving range, the possibility that they sell half the golf course and make it 9 holes, the tight layout, etc.) but of equal importance is that they dropped membership dues so low that it is sometimes difficult to get a tee time.  I tried numerous times this year during the week and could not get on and that is unusual with a private club.

That seems a bit alarming considering I was told they only have around 260 total members.   Tee times with a smaller membership like that shouldn't be that hard.   The data center proposal wasn't mentioned either that I found via the Daily Herald afterwards.  I can't see their membership not being decimated having to alter the course down to 9.

You should check out Aurora Country Club.  Full disclosure, former member.  It is a beautifully maintained old style parkland course originally designed in 1914,  They have a pool and tennis courts and an excellent membership.  The course, while not the longest, about 6600 yards from the tips, is very challenging, and their greens are among the best (very fast and firm) I have ever played.

I’m guessing Stonebridge is out of the range?

ill check with my buddy to see if they joined 

I know they had been looking at Glen Oak CC ($$$), but when the Naperville CC trial opportunity came up, they couldn’t afford to pass on it

Edited by geochitown

TM TP5x

He is transferring  to Houston for work so he did not join 

TM TP5x

On 12/4/2020 at 11:49 AM, Jc0 said:

Check back with Riverside. I was looking there earlier this year and it was 10k and $500ish for a junior. What you have quoted was over 40 if I remember right. Rolling Green is 12K and like 600. It's also club corp so partner clubs around. 

I do not live in the area, but both times I have visited the Chicagoland area, I was able to play at a couple of clubs.

Rolling Green was not a great course IMO. There were a few instances in which I hit a ball in the primary rough and could not find it. It made the day very frustrating. This was back in the summer of 2018, so maybe things have changed, so it may be worth a look.

If you can afford Glen Oak, go for it. I think there initiation was like $60k, but the course was fantastic.

On 12/4/2020 at 10:49 AM, Jc0 said:

Riverside made some changes apparently and dropped their junior age max to 36.  So 37+ now is $20k initiation and $695 dues.

Glen Oak is ideal location wise, but $60k is a tough hit.

On 12/6/2020 at 12:40 PM, geochitown said:

I’m guessing Stonebridge is out of the range?

ill check with my buddy to see if they joined 

I know they had been looking at Glen Oak CC ($$$), but when the Naperville CC trial opportunity came up, they couldn’t afford to pass on it

I hadn't thought about Stonebridge, Cress Creek is nearby which I reached out to. Stonebridge only looks to be about 22 minutes drive so could be an option.  I know nothing about it so don't know if it's $$$ or not.  

Trying to keep the costs down to make it an easier sell for the wife so in addition to that, proximity and pool is factoring into it.

Thanks for checking with your buddy on Napervillle, awaiting them to get back to me, but I don't see anything on their site about any facility offerings other than golf and the clubhouse. Pool, gym, tennis etc.

On 12/6/2020 at 11:07 AM, oldpalchamp said:

You should check out Aurora Country Club.  Full disclosure, former member.  It is a beautifully maintained old style parkland course originally designed in 1914,  They have a pool and tennis courts and an excellent membership.  The course, while not the longest, about 6600 yards from the tips, is very challenging, and their greens are among the best (very fast and firm) I have ever played.

Do you mind if I ask whats costs were for associate/juniors?  Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2020 at 3:47 PM, BTee17 said:

Do you mind if I ask whats costs were for associate/juniors?  Thanks!

Here is what I have from Aurora in 2015.

Junior (under age 40)

Initiation - $5,000

The highest dues from 35-39, $315.00/month, $87.50 assessment/month, food/beverage 300/per trimester

There are additional fees such as locker, driving range etc. I do not know what the cart/caddy fees consist of, but hopefully this helps.

I know the guy who is the membership director at Stonebridge. He's a solid dude. 

With cost being important here, one of the first things I would also ask is the caddie culture/caddie rules. 

So many of the top clubs in Chicagoland are caddie mandatory or caddie really, really encouraged for most of the day. That's great, but it is worth asking about up front vs. being surprised. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

On 2/3/2021 at 1:24 PM, wasd said:

Anyone have info on clubs farther west?

Elgin CC any good?

The Hawk CC?

Thanks

I live about 4 minutes from Elgin CC.  I have played it 3-4 times.  It's a nice course, lots of hills and uneven lies.  I would prefer it to be a bit more open.  If you are looking for the best "golf" this may not be it in my opinion.  Also it isn't cheap from what I have heard from neighbors.  Elgin does have a nice driving range and practice area.  Large range.

I have not played the Hawk personally, also has a large range though.  And I am not sure what pricing on it is.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 12:10 PM, SpacklersEdge said:

I live about 4 minutes from Elgin CC.  I have played it 3-4 times.  It's a nice course, lots of hills and uneven lies.  I would prefer it to be a bit more open.  If you are looking for the best "golf" this may not be it in my opinion.  Also it isn't cheap from what I have heard from neighbors.  Elgin does have a nice driving range and practice area.  Large range.

I have not played the Hawk personally, also has a large range though.  And I am not sure what pricing on it is.

Hmm.. with you living that close to Elgin CC have you decided ever to join a club or sticking with the public courses with so many options in the area?