2021 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

azgolfer44

Played Vistancia again this past Saturday. Long round at 4:30... Waited on every shot. Not sure where the hold up was but the group ahead of us were playing shorter tees but could have helped playing the shortest tees. Course still in good shape. Dry at a 1:20 tee off. Greens are firming up. Definitely going to add it to my rotation of courses. 

Anyone know when Sterling Grove will open? Last I saw it was Jan 2021. Also, with it being a new course, will everything be playing firm and be hard to hold shots on the green? I've never played a brand new course so I'm not sure what to expect when I first get out there. Thanks!

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 4.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Cobra Vintage Stingray-40 

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Pooled water? From all the rain the area has gotten over the past two months? Lol.

I know right!  My guess is overwatering maybe in previous weeks and awful drainage but idk otherwise.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

9 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

No, I went off before the event. Trickiest part of the hole locations for me was that I didn't realize they were using "pin sheets" instead of the colored flag system until I got out on the course and realized all the flags were the same color regardless of location. Then I remembered there was a stack of the pin sheets at the check-in desk and I didn't take one...🙄

Yeah tough to gauge the depth on a lot of holes unless you have the pin sheet. They set it up pretty good for the events. I was in the today group off so just behind the public. 

Same ol conditions at Cave Creek. Overnight watering left the grass in front of the greens waterlogged. Basically impossible to land a ball short and roll it up. Fairways were getting some rollout. Greens rolling 10 at best. There was an hour frost delay this morning, but I had a mid-morning tee time, and wound up teeing off 20 minutes behind. Pace was 4:15.

Heading down to The Duke tomorrow morning for my first visit. 'Not expecting much, and certainly not Southern Dunes-like golf.

Duke is actually a decent layout.  There is a very good mix of holes and the greens all are quite interesting/challenging.  The problem with the course is that it is a housing community course and the conditions will not be the best.  I will be interested on your take.  But imo, if it was someplace that had elevation change and was maintained, it would be quite good. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FlashNoonan said:

Played Vistancia again this past Saturday. Long round at 4:30... Waited on every shot. Not sure where the hold up was but the group ahead of us were playing shorter tees but could have helped playing the shortest tees. Course still in good shape. Dry at a 1:20 tee off. Greens are firming up. Definitely going to add it to my rotation of courses. 

Anyone know when Sterling Grove will open? Last I saw it was Jan 2021. Also, with it being a new course, will everything be playing firm and be hard to hold shots on the green? I've never played a brand new course so I'm not sure what to expect when I first get out there. Thanks!

Sterling opening to golf members in a couple of weeks, and will begin hosting non-member play in February or March, at a time to be announced.  Once a firm date for public play is determined we will announce it through several channels, including email, press releases, etc.

• Like 1

First visit to The Duke this morning. Thankfully no frost delay, but it was a tad chilly to start the round. I agree it's a decent layout, but for just a few dollars cheaper than Southern Dunes I'd definitely drive the extra 2 miles. Very generous fairways for a housing development course. I liked the look of the bunkers, but they could use a few more. Good mix of holes. Mounding was good, and one can use them on a few holes. I pulled my tee shot on the par 3 17th, and was relieved to find my ball in the middle of the green after a generous bounce off the side hill. The green complexes were rather mundane, but playable. 

Conditions were very good. Fairways were a little brown, so there was some rollout. The greens don't look like they were overseeded. They looked like painted dormant Bermuda. They were rolling very nicely at 10 or so. Bunkers were playable. The dormant Bermuda rough had a good height. Pace was excellent. I teed off with another single, and we had an open course for 8 holes. The group ahead let us play through at the turn, and we finished in 3:20. 

Overall it was a fun day, but I wouldn't make the drive down there to play it again with Southern Dunes just around the corner. 

First visit to Oakwood tomorrow. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

First visit to Oakwood CC this morning. I played the Palms and Sonoran 9s. The Palms was decent, but the Sonoran put me to sleep. Seems the Lakes 9 would have been the best of the bunch. Fairly benign layout. It's rather incredible how many mediocre courses there are in the area. Conditions were very good. Fairways were a little shaggy, so rollout was minimal. Bunkers could use a little more sand. The dormant Bermuda rough was a good length. Greens looked great, and were rolling 10 to 11. 'Very nice. Pace was superb. After a 30 minute frost delay I went out in the first group along with two riding singles, and we zipped around in 3 hours. 

Pleasant weather, and good company, but a ho hum course leaves one wanting. 

Edited by Argonne69

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

@Argonne69 are you going to check out Tres Rios again, one of your stops on your winter 2019-2020 toilet bowl tour? Supposedly it re-opened last month after being closed since August, a new operator has taken over and supposedly put some money into the place. Online reviews are positive since then. I haven't made it down there yet.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

@Argonne69 are you going to check out Tres Rios again, one of your stops on your winter 2019-2020 toilet bowl tour? Supposedly it re-opened last month after being closed since August, a new operator has taken over and supposedly put some money into the place. Online reviews are positive since then. I haven't made it down there yet.

Probably not. The course was my 600th played believe or not. Maybe I'll try to get there for my 700th course. Lol. It's been years since I played GC of Estrella. I'd likely play that one if I was in the area. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Probably not. The course was my 600th played believe or not. Maybe I'll try to get there for my 700th course. Lol. It's been years since I played GC of Estrella. I'd likely play that one if I was in the area. 

Let me know when you want to play Estrella...I have the Troon card and I have been planning to go play soon.

• Like 1

Nice round at Papago this morning. Chilly with a stiff breeze to start the day, but the wind died down, and the temps rose nicely. The course is in very nice shape, minus the dormant rough that's quite think in spots. You definitely want to be hitting from the fairway. Bunkers were damp, but playable. Could use more sand. Greens were like ice. They had to be rolling close to 12, with quite a few devilish pin locations. Putted tentatively all round. Pace was fine. There must have been a cancelation, as the group ahead was on the 2nd hole when we teed off. We never caught them, and finished in 3:40. 

59 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Nice round at Papago this morning. Chilly with a stiff breeze to start the day, but the wind died down, and the temps rose nicely. The course is in very nice shape, minus the dormant rough that's quite think in spots. You definitely want to be hitting from the fairway. Bunkers were damp, but playable. Could use more sand. Greens were like ice. They had to be rolling close to 12, with quite a few devilish pin locations. Putted tentatively all round. Pace was fine. There must have been a cancelation, as the group ahead was on the 2nd hole when we teed off. We never caught them, and finished in 3:40. 

Greens are definitely ice there now, the practice green especially!

What did that set you back as a visitor, $145? 

I get spoiled playing it for the $45 cardholder rate. It's good but not $145 good, or whatever they are charging tourists now.

3 minutes ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Greens are definitely ice there now, the practice green especially!

What did that set you back as a visitor, $145? 

I get spoiled playing it for the $45 cardholder rate. It's good but not $145 good, or whatever they are charging tourists now.

I have a city card, so it was $45 + tax.

First (and last) visit to Sun City North this morning. Meh. Another tired Sun City layout. At least the group I was playing with were fun. Conditions were playable. Bunkers were wet. Huh? Rough was thin in spots. Greens looked very nice, but were only rolling 9 at best. Tough transition from yesterday's ice rinks. Pace was good. I played in a fivesome after a screw-up in the pro shop, and we finished in 3:55.

Edited by Argonne69

25 minutes ago, gators2k said:

Looking for thoughts on Rancho Manana?

Should be quite a bit about the course on the Sw forum. Generally, shorter course with several tricked up holes that is average to above average shape. Some neat views especially in the winter when you can see snow on the north mountains.  May be a decent course for out of towners, but one time was enough for me. 

2 hours ago, gators2k said:

Ewww. A few good views from elevated tees, but way too tight, and a handful of goofy holes. I'd pass. 

8 hours ago, gators2k said:

Some interesting/fun/scenic holes, some boring "housing subdivision style" holes, and a few really awful holes. It is about 6,000 yards from the tips and 5,400 from the next set forward. 

I think the type of player that might enjoy it and feel like it rewards their game would be a low handicap senior who hits it short and straight. It would be brutal on total hacks who would probably run out of balls 2/3 of the way through, and long-hitting better players would find it too short and goofy.

There are reasons why it is the cheapest public-access course in north Scottsdale/Cave Creek.

I would not recommend it to an avid golfer with so many other options available, even if you have to spend more $$ elsewhere. For a local looking to check off every single course in Phoenix metro, sure, give it a try for $55 or whatever on a Tuesday in July.

• Haha 2

Southern Dunes in amazing shape as noted.  Except for such terribly inconsistent bunkers.  I was in 3 bunkers - one perfect, one concrete, one 10x too much soft sand.  The 2 bad bunkers cost me multiple strokes because there was no way to get out.  I don't get how they can't address the bunkers.

• Like 1

Finishing up my PHX trip tomorrow with Troon Pinnacle. 

Friday WKP 36. It was in great shape. The greens were probably 10.5 ish? Always love it out there. 

Saturday played Southern Dunes. Holy s**t. Those greens were lightning!!!! Probably 13+. Course was in great shape all over. A very windy day and with the length of the tips, it was a tough round. Loved the layout and had a blast there. Such a different take on desert golf. First round there. 

Today we played Verde River. I’m in love. Course was SO fun, had some great holes and the surrounding scenery was epic. Been to PHX 12-14 times and never played it. The short game area and range are top notch. The greens (per pro shop) were at 12.7. I would say that’s on the slower side of the guess. Course was in perfect shape and pristine. Had some sand consistency issues, so for our money game we settled on rake and place, which is cool. VR has such a kick a** club feel and gorgeous clubhouse/veranda. Absolutely top tier place. And wasn’t incredibly expensive for this time of year. 

Hopefully Pinnacle is in good shape and playing well. It’s my buddy’s first time. A report to come after round at the airport. 

cheers

• Like 1

Typical conditions for Cave Creek this morning. Fairways were wet. Greens looked good, but we a little on the slow side. 9.5? Seemed to struggle getting the uphill putts to the hole. Pace was good at 3:50. 

Bah. I was scheduled to play Tuscany Falls West for the first time this morning. They're one of the few courses in the area that cancel tee times if there's a frost delay. I figured 9:06 am would provide plenty of cushion, but they canceled everything up to 9:36. Luckily there was an opening at Talking Stick (South). I'll be in the first group of out after a 50 minute delay. 

Is it my imagination, or has there been a significant increase in frost delays in the past month? 

Bah. I was scheduled to play Tuscany Falls West for the first time this morning. They're one of the few courses in the area that cancel tee times if there's a frost delay. I figured 9:06 am would provide plenty of cushion, but they canceled everything up to 9:36. Luckily there was an opening at Talking Stick (South). I'll be in the first group of out after a 50 minute delay. 

Is it my imagination, or has there been a significant increase in frost delays in the past month? 

Not really...pretty normal imo.  I actually am on the other side and have noted that the length of the delay seems shorter because it was warming up faster.

Nice round on the Piipaash course. Yeah, it sure warmed up nicely. The course is in great shape. The area in front of the greens are still too wet. 'Very difficult to land a ball short and run it up. Greens were oh so quick. Probably close to 12. I hit a nice approach to the front pin on the 12th, and it wound up 10 feet above the hole. Big mistake. I barely got my birdie putt rolling and it rolled to the front fringe. Pace was great. After the delay, I was the first out with another twosome, and we sailed around in 2:50. While teeing off on the 17th the ranger drove by and commented that he wished every early group would set that kind of pace. Lol. 

7 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I don't think it's much different than last year. Depends on the area you are playing in. Some areas of the valley are just more prone to colder overnight temps and/or frost. There was no frost delay at Papago this morning, but I was getting text alerts from courses out by Sun City West saying a 1.5 hour delay this morning. Aguila seems to get colder overnight than a lot of other west valley courses.

3 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

I don't think it's much different than last year. Depends on the area you are playing in. Some areas of the valley are just more prone to colder overnight temps and/or frost. There was no frost delay at Papago this morning, but I was getting text alerts from courses out by Sun City West saying a 1.5 hour delay this morning. Aguila seems to get colder overnight than a lot of other west valley courses.

'Just saw a segment on the news that says there have been more nights below 45 degrees since December 1st than in the previous 40+ years. The previous record was in the early 70's.