Colorado WRX 2021

pseudoswede

To get the proverbial ball rolling for discussion...

• What are you looking to improve with your game this year?
  • Do you plan on joining a club or league this year?
  • Any fun golf trips planned?

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

1 hour ago, birdiemachine said:

1.  Putting...34 putts is a good round for me

2. Probably join a league

3.  Got a Bandon trip planned.

I have tee times Monday-Thursday this week.  Assume Monday and Tuesday will be cancelled due to snow cover but keeping hope alive for Wednesday and Thursday.

That’s how I’m thinking. I don’t think we’ll be clear til Tuesday. Hoping maybe Wednesday to be able to play a couple holes after work and try out the new Sim head. 

7 hours ago, brianhorne8 said:

Greetings fellas!

Just gonna drop these here...

Happy new year!

When it's raining for a week straight in Portland, just know that we'll be here in the sunshine laughing at you. 😁

Happy 2021 everyone!  

1. Goals: get my "playing" driver speed to 110; hit 1-2 more greens per round (ended last year averaging 7 per round, would like to hit 8-9); 

2. I am planning on joining the CommonGround men's league as I want to start playing some tournaments; 

3. Going to Wisconsin in May and playing both Blackwolf Run courses (River and Meadow) and both Whistling courses (Straits and Irish).  The two Whistling rounds are a hickory tournament that I am very excite for....need to play a lot of hickory golf before then to prepare!   We are ending the weekend with a round at Erin Hills.

• Like 2

Goals for 2021...

• Work on my full swing - my backswing has gotten very abbreviated over the years, which probably has led to a slower swing speed (and decreased distance); I need to get back to having my club shaft parallel to the ground on the backswing before starting my downswing; this should also help fix my severe inside-out swing path
  • Continue to work on my putting - the Jerry Walters clinic was super helpful; I just need to carve out a few times per month to spend 1-2 hours on a putting surface with the gadgets provided
  • Invest in a 2-iron, maybe a 2-hybrid (and maybe a 3-hybrid) - my long iron play has gotten progressively worse, which I think is related to bullet point #1
  • Win the match play bracket in my golf league
  • Teach my wife how to chip

I re-upped my membership in Front Range Golf Club. I'll continue to play in my Thursday night beer league (if you live in the south Denver 'burbs, feel free to hit me up for details). My wife and I will also join The Links Saturday night couples league.

Depending on the vaccine and travel restriction situation, our annual trip to Sweden is in jeopardy again. I have 31 vacation days to burn this year. Maybe my wife and I will do a small golfing road-trip somewhere this summer. The courses over on the western slope looked really nice.

• Like 1

Meridian Golf Club finally got back to me on their range membership.

It's now up to $1190/year per adult, $150 per child under 18. There is a $100 discount if you sign up by the end of February, and the membership is valid until the end of April 2022.

Their regular golf membership is $539/month, and there is ~5-9% discount if you prepay for the whole year by a certain date. Adding a spouse is an extra $165-199/mo (not sure what the difference between regular and special family membership is). There is no mention of an initiation fee.

10 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

Meridian Golf Club finally got back to me on their range membership.

It's now up to $1190/year per adult, $150 per child under 18. There is a $100 discount if you sign up by the end of February, and the membership is valid until the end of April 2022.

Their regular golf membership is $539/month, and there is ~5-9% discount if you prepay for the whole year by a certain date. Adding a spouse is an extra $165-199/mo (not sure what the difference between regular and special family membership is). There is no mention of an initiation fee.

That might be an out of season/need to boost membership special to waive the initiation fee. Colorado Avid Golfer had it listed as $9k for 2020 and it appears monthly is up $20 vs 2020 as they had it listed as $519. Not a bad deal if they are waiving the initiation.

Although I think you can get Pradera/Pinery for just a little more monthly with heavily discounted initiation and I think those are much better courses. The deal they were running last winter was you were basically buying a set of fitted clubs as they threw that in as part of the discounted initiation.

Edited by Dancin

11 hours ago, Dancin said:

That might be an out of season/need to boost membership special to waive the initiation fee. Colorado Avid Golfer had it listed as $9k for 2020 and it appears monthly is up $20 vs 2020 as they had it listed as $519. Not a bad deal if they are waiving the initiation.

Although I think you can get Pradera/Pinery for just a little more monthly with heavily discounted initiation and I think those are much better courses. The deal they were running last winter was you were basically buying a set of fitted clubs as they threw that in as part of the discounted initiation.

The Membership Director sent me the 2021 application, and there is no mention anywhere in the document of an initiation fee. Maybe they simply raised monthly/annual dues in lieu of initiation fees--who knows, still not worth it to me. When I was there this past summer, based on how packed the parking lot was, it sure looked like they weren't hurting for members.

So here is to hoping 2021 is great for everyone in all aspects. 

So trying start the year solid we booked our first trip.  The Titleist Package at Pinehurst Resort for the end of March/first of April.   

Thinking I will will do the TSI driver line up fitting with the deal.  The $200 Titleist voucher is a sweet kick in. I guess if you don't need any clubs, as least you can buy 3 dozen Prov's in the deal LOL.   

We are staying 3 nights (added extra night base on going east you loose the whole day, even on direct flights). Playing No.2, No.4 and Cradle at resort. We have one open round and we are in "debate" between No.8 / Dormie Club / Pine Needles / Mid Pines.

*I am pushing for Dormie because May 1st it will be full private finally.  I have played all the ones above over the last 4 years but the other 3 have not played any of them.  I figure they should play Dormie while they can because they may not get the chance again.

EDIT: Link to package deal if no one has seen it prior.

https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/posts/the-team-titleist-pinehurst-package-is-back-for-2021?&sc_src=email_694328&sc_lid=43316041&sc_uid=SCG1y1KURU&sc_llid=431900&utm_source=Emarsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TT-Pinehurst-2021&sc_customer=3635729

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CDM said:

We are staying 3 nights (added extra night base on going east you loose the whole day, even on direct flights). Playing No.2, No.4 and Cradle at resort. We have one open round and we are in "debate" between No.8 / Dormie Club / Pine Needles / Mid Pines.

Man up and take the red-eye to Charlotte. A solid three hours of sleeping upright, and you can be on the tee box by 9:30am! haha

• Haha 1

Is anyone going to play in the Front Range Golf Club tourneys?  I'm toying with joining. It would be fun to meet folks plus play some nice courses without the hassle of finding tee times.  Has anyone done it before?

Here's the link if you haven't heard of it: https://www.frgclub.com/?q=node/1

**Edit to add some more random stuff for 2021...

- I just ordered some Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pros!  I'm excited.  Got a fitting at GolfGalaxy... which is the first time in over 20 years that I didn't just buy off the shelf.  Should get them in about a month!

- Heading to Mesquite on 19 Feb!  My neighbor and I got the AvidGolfer Passbook that comes with 2 free nights and 2 free rounds.  We'll do both of those rounds on the 20th and then get two more tee times for Sunday.

- I'm from southern MO so i'm planning to take my step-dad to Tiger's course in Branson in March or April

- In Sept, i'm heading to Nashville with 23 other dudes from around the nation to play golf for 5 days

Edited by Brian_Mc
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Brian_Mc said:

Is anyone going to play in the Front Range Golf Club tourneys?  I'm toying with joining. It would be fun to meet folks plus play some nice courses without the hassle of finding tee times.  Has anyone done it before?

Here's the link if you haven't heard of it: https://www.frgclub.com/?q=node/1

I've been a member of FRGC for close to a decade now. Noodler has been a member for a few years. Feel free to hit us up with any questions. The two biggest complaints I've heard about FRGC over the years is that you're paying close or over rack rate for the courses (regardless if you want to walk or not) and the prize pool can be a bit top-heavy. Otherwise, it's a fun group of golfers, it gets me onto some of the better courses on the weekends without me planning it, and I don't have to travel out-of-town (and take vacation days) for the championship.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 6:50 PM, buckets on buckets said:

Temporarily relocated to CO (North Springs area) from CA. Might be a dumb question but are there any courses open during the winter when we have these 50 and sunny days?

I used to live in the Springs, now up in Highlands Ranch.

Good places I've played during the CoS winter months include Cheyenne Shadows and Valley Hi, due to the lack of trees.  If you're willing to ride 30-45 min, you can add Sumo Golf Village in Florence, 4-Mile Ranch in Canon City and the Pueblo courses like Walking Stick, Elmwood and Desert Hawk.

Good luck and hit'em straight!

-- P.J.

• Like 2

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
Srixon ZX 3W and Cobra RadSpeed Hybrid

:taylormade-small:P790 Irons
Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter
OnCore ELIXR / Srixon Q-Star Divide Golf Ball
Cart-Tek 1500li Remote Cart

PrecisionPro NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado // Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

I heard a new course was being built by Prairie Club.

https://www.caprockranch.com/

Interesting on the membership aspect...?

Our total membership goal is approximately 180. Membership will contain three categories, Founders, Regional, and National.

Edit: Did see they list "National Members" being capped at 120.  300 miles or more.

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CDM said:

Our total membership goal is approximately 180. Membership will contain three categories, Founders, Regional, and National.

Edit: Did see they list "National Members" being capped at 120.  300 miles or more.

That land has been in various stages of planning and subsequent failure to get off the ground for a very long time by different interests before hints started coming out last summer that it was finally happening. Tom Doak said he toured the property 18 years ago for a client and mentioned that it was spectacular land for golf. He also walked the property late last year looking at what had been done, but didn't share any photos since the actual public launch had not been announced yet.

I don't think 180 members is that strange considering the location. With already having 60 regional members signed up, they've got a good start. It was mentioned on another board last year that they are debt free too, so the owner must have some deep pockets. The demand is definitely out there. The Prairie Club books up quickly each year and has gotten a lot more expensive for non members. Dismal River is finally successful after numerous bankruptcies and different owners and Ballyneal has a 2-3 year waiting list. From what I've heard and seen, Hanse will have screwed up royally if the course doesn't rate top 100.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 3:11 PM, CDM said:

Don Graham, was GM at Wildhorse, was just hired to be their GM.  Don did a great job at Gothenburg.

6 hours ago, I_HATE_SNOW said:

Don Graham, was GM at Wildhorse, was just hired to be their GM.  Don did a great job at Gothenburg.

I was definitely surprised when I played that course last year. I had heard it was really good for public, but still. Absolutely pure conditions on that course. Also, worst hot dog I've ever had at a golf course. 

17 hours ago, ALi3 said:

I was definitely surprised when I played that course last year. I had heard it was really good for public, but still. Absolutely pure conditions on that course. Also, worst hot dog I've ever had at a golf course. 

LOL cant say I have had the hotdog there.   Fantastic course and condtions. Hope the conditions stay the same with Don leaving.