Colorado WRX 2021

pseudoswede

1 hour ago, hoselpalooza said:

anyone know where is the best practice facility within 30 mins of downtown? looking for a place to practice bunker shots (fairway and green-side) as well as 20y-50y pitches. thanks!

The best you're gonna get for fairway bunker practice at a public course is one with a bunker near the driving range. While some others have that, Murphy Creek is the only public I know that has all of what you are looking for. Bunker to the right of the driving range you could hit fairway length bunker shots from, very nice pitching practice area with two different greens to hit to and greenside bunker practice along with a really good putting green. It's pretty far and the only time you're making that drive in 30 minutes is on the weekend though.

If you give up the fairway bunker practice, Overland downtown just built a nice 3 hole practice area to the right of the first hole last year.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

anyone know where is the best practice facility within 30 mins of downtown? looking for a place to practice bunker shots (fairway and green-side) as well as 20y-50y pitches. thanks!

Family Sports Center has a very nice short game area (no fairway bunker shots), but the place is always packed.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Thanks 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Weather here next weekend will be iffy, so we decided tonight to head to Moab for a few days. Weather will be nice there.

8 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Family Sports Center has a very nice short game area (no fairway bunker shots), but the place is always packed.

Agree, good facilities but always packed.  I live out by Murphy Creek and its pretty good.   When I lived on the west side of town I really liked Foothills faclities. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

Murphy Creek?

I've only played there a few times, but I was pretty impressed with their practice areas. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they have a bunker on the far edge of the range where you can practice fairway bunker shots. They definitely have good pitching areas and greenside bunker practice areas.

• Thanks 1

I mean... if you went early or late enough in the day when no one was on the grass tees, you could make the practice bunker a fairway one! 😄

image.png.96793c060e63a08d76c2aa1485416cf2.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

Murphy Creek?

I've only played there a few times, but I was pretty impressed with their practice areas. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they have a bunker on the far edge of the range where you can practice fairway bunker shots. They definitely have good pitching areas and greenside bunker practice areas.

MC is were I practice and for the most part pretty good. 

They do have a bunker area SE of the range to practice bunker shots and a bit north of it you can practice fairway bunker shots down range.

The pitching green(s) (next to the main putting green) are about 35-45 yards long.  There is only two greens and single direction so limited really to 2 people at a time. A lot of people bring their own shag bags and get upset when others chip too the same green....mixing each others balls  (sorry could not resist)  

Funny layout issues though. Google earth helps if you have not been there

Bunker shots.  Though bunkers are below the green a bit I have seen easily a 100+ people thin it out the bunker..... just clear the lip and HIT the houses east of the area.  The houses are like 10 yards from the practice area and the bunkers face the homes. (not sure on what Kavanaugh was thinking on that)

Fairway bunker shots are exactly the same. Not aimed far enough left, hits a fade or worse hosel rocket right into the houses on the right.

Edit: The chipping green(s) I have seen people thin those shots and fly it over/past the green(s) into the open space. Now that area along Hole 1 it is being developed for homes it looks like and I am sure a few of those homes will get hit too as it looks close out in the field.  Thinking number 1 tee shot should be safe as its left would need a pretty good hook to hit the new homes..... but never know.

Edited by CDM

1 hour ago, pseudoswede said:

I mean... if you went early or late enough in the day when no one was on the grass tees, you could make the practice bunker a fairway one! 😄

image.png.96793c060e63a08d76c2aa1485416cf2.png

i had no idea that existed! the only times i've been there it was either dark or snowy, and only off of the mats. potential game-changer right here, thank you!! 😂

26 minutes ago, CDM said:

MC is were I practice and for the most part pretty good. 

They do have a bunker area SE of the range to practice bunker shots and a bit north of it you can practice fairway bunker shots down range.

The pitching green(s) (next to the main putting green) are about 35-45 yards long.  There is only two greens and single direction so limited really to 2 people at a time. A lot of people bring their own shag bags and get upset when others chip too the same green....mixing each others balls  (sorry could not resist)  

Funny layout issues though. Google earth helps if you have not been there

Bunker shots.  Though bunkers are below the green a bit I have seen easily a 100+ people thin it out the bunker..... just clear the lip and HIT the houses east of the area.  The houses are like 10 yards from the practice area and the bunkers face the homes. (not sure on what Kavanaugh was thinking on that)

Fairway bunker shots are exactly the same. Not aimed far enough left, hits a fade or worse hosel rocket right into the houses on the right.

Edit: The chipping green(s) I have seen people thin those shots and fly it over/past the green(s) into the open space. Now that area along Hole 1 it is being developed for homes it looks like and I am sure a few of those homes will get hit too as it looks close out in the field.  Thinking number 1 tee shot should be safe as its left would need a pretty good hook to hit the new homes..... but never know.

looks like the facilities are designed for high-pressure practice. mishit it and BAM! hit a house. yikes! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i had no idea that existed! the only times i've been there it was either dark or snowy, and only off of the mats. potential game-changer right here, thank you!! 😂

The grass tees should be opening up soon. It's huge, but the problem is that by the weekend, it's all ruined by people who don't know how to hit off grass. (Gawd, I'm sounding like a WRX'er. Help!)

Not sure if the short game area is even open if the grass tees aren't open. I would give the pro shop a call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacobEDGE said:

I'm gonna be screwed once the real season starts and courses get to their normal conditions. 

South Suburban be like...

image.png.f5dfb5502fefbd4224e80985cc49f15a.png

10 hours ago, jacobEDGE said:

I like slow greens, allows me to really hit it hard and not worry about blowing it by 10 feet. Haha. I'm gonna be screwed once the real season starts and courses get to their normal conditions. 

Nice round Jacob!  I’m just the opposite. I just can’t hit it hard enough on slow greens. I just bought an older Odyssey putter to hopefully have a little more “pop” off the face until the speeds pick up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Nice round Jacob!  I’m just the opposite. I just can’t hit it hard enough on slow greens. I just bought an older Odyssey putter to hopefully have a little more “pop” off the face until the speeds pick up. 

i can relate. lag putts on slow greens are my nemesis. short putts on slow greens are OK because you can get aggressive and take the break out. but for anything past 15' or 20' on slow greens i've gotta borderline feel like MC hammer hands just to get it there. 😂😂😂

but i'm not one to just give up. so this is what i'm bagging from now on for lag putts on slow greens:

image.png.668f9a9ea6f611a171860a14bdeca3cb.png

• Like 3

On 3/7/2021 at 7:55 PM, hoselpalooza said:

Doesn't Meridian Learning center offer all of this? Maybe it's for members only now. I've never been but was always intrigued by the practice facility. I just live too far. 

• Thanks 1

Where is everyone getting fit for drivers these days? I was hoping to get fit by Titleist at their fitting but Walnut Creek said they probably won't be around until mid April. Kind of hoping to have a new driver in hand by then. I just order my new irons and wedge. Picked up another putter yesterday lol. What equipment changes did you guys make? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, irvtrain said:

Doesn't Meridian Learning center offer all of this? Maybe it's for members only now. I've never been but was always intrigued by the practice facility. I just live too far. 

i had never heard of this place until your comment. it looks like it has everything i mentioned and more. thank you!

https://trentwearnergolf.com/facility/

4 minutes ago, irvtrain said:

Where is everyone getting fit for drivers these days? I was hoping to get fit by Titleist at their fitting but Walnut Creek said they probably won't be around until mid April. Kind of hoping to have a new driver in hand by then. I just order my new irons and wedge. Picked up another putter yesterday lol. What equipment changes did you guys make? 

i have some friends who've been fit at d'lance and are happy with the results. 

i want to get fit outdoors instead of indoors and will be keeping an eye out for other suggestions.

44 minutes ago, irvtrain said:

34 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

i had never heard of this place until your comment. it looks like it has everything i mentioned and more. thank you!

https://trentwearnergolf.com/facility/

Meridian does have a great practice facility, except their putting greens are truly terrible. Their 50-100yd wedge area was also meh--on top of a hill, so very exposed to wind. It would also be well over 30 minutes from downtown if you tried driving down there anytime between 3pm-6pm.

Back in the day, it was a steal for $500/yr. Now it's over twice the price. I posted the updated range membership prices near the bottom of page 1.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, irvtrain said:

What irons you go with? 

Bear Creek was the best locally I found hands down for Titleist. Did my TS3 there but not sure they still do it? Outside on trackman. They can get in alot of shafts if you let them know what you want to test but need to know up front as they get the exotic sent in from Titleist.

Not that it helps, just noting.  I am doing the Titleist driver fitting end of month at Pinehurst through the package deal.  You should try and squeeze it in 😁  They give you $200 Titleist dollars towards a new club..or balls..etc.  Package is $950ish all in or for two nights, No.2, No.4, Cradle and breakfast - dinner for the two days.. crazy good deal.

I changed everything but 3 wood and putter so far.   Driver is safe until the fitting. So far loving the ZX7's... 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

On 3/7/2021 at 10:11 PM, pseudoswede said:

Weather here next weekend will be iffy, so we decided tonight to head to Moab for a few days. Weather will be nice there.

I guess iffy was an understatement!

We had to push our Moab trip to next Monday because our youngest has a hockey tournament this weekend in Lafayette. The organizers have already come out and said they will not cancel due to weather. As a pre-caution, I've booked a hotel room in Louisville for the weekend.

And who knows if we can even get out of town on Monday?!

Stay safe and warm this weekend, folks!

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

I guess iffy was an understatement!

We had to push our Moab trip to next Monday because our youngest has a hockey tournament this weekend in Lafayette. The organizers have already come out and said they will not cancel due to weather. As a pre-caution, I've booked a hotel room in Louisville for the weekend.

And who knows if we can even get out of town on Monday?!

Stay safe and warm this weekend, folks!

i have this site open in a tab and keep checking it out: https://spaghettimodels.com/

who are the best weather people in our area? or which blogs or news outlets do you all go to for your weather info?

thanks, and to echo pseudoswede's comments, stay safe out there, everyone! 

35 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

who are the best weather people in our area? or which blogs or news outlets do you all go to for your weather info?

I like John at Mountain Wave. Very grounded and does his best to never hype anything unless warranted.

https://www.facebook.com/MtnWaveWxJB/ (updated all the time)

https://mountainwaveweather.com/ (mainly blog posts)

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CDM said:

What irons you go with? 

Bear Creek was the best locally I found hands down for Titleist. Did my TS3 there but not sure they still do it? Outside on trackman. They can get in alot of shafts if you let them know what you want to test but need to know up front as they get the exotic sent in from Titleist.

Not that it helps, just noting.  I am doing the Titleist driver fitting end of month at Pinehurst through the package deal.  You should try and squeeze it in 😁  They give you $200 Titleist dollars towards a new club..or balls..etc.  Package is $950ish all in or for two nights, No.2, No.4, Cradle and breakfast - dinner for the two days.. crazy good deal.

I changed everything but 3 wood and putter so far.   Driver is safe until the fitting. So far loving the ZX7's... 

I went with JPX 921 tours 6-GW. I ordered the HMB 5 iron even though I loved the 5 to try and get more separation between a 5 and 6 iron. Currently have the 900 tours and love them, so it was hard to get me out of Mizzys. I liked the ZX7s but I didn't like the lofts and I prefer the smaller profile of Mizunos. The other irons I looked into were the copper irons from Cobra. Probably a combo of the cavity back and the RF blade. I don't think it would've been worth it to spend another $1,000 for the full copper finish on the blade versus PVD Copper finish lol. 

I'll check out Bear Creek. I'm hoping for outdoors with Pro Vs. Titleist goes around town and will fit you for free on a trackman with Pro Vs. They're at Walnut Creek weekly, if I'm not mistaken. It would be good to test out other stuff too besides Titleist. Only other option I've found is Gott Golf. 

• Like 1

anyone know of a better shoulder person than this guy? https://www.tomnoonanmd.com/thomas-noonan-md-orthopedic-sports-medicine-englewood-co.html

i tweaked my right shoulder today and am getting it looked at on friday. keen to know if any of you have other recommendations in case i want/need a second opinion. hope to god i didn't just torpedo my season before it even started 🙏🙏🙏

Edited by hoselpalooza
make link clickable

3 hours ago, irvtrain said:

I went with JPX 921 tours 6-GW. I ordered the HMB 5 iron even though I loved the 5 to try and get more separation between a 5 and 6 iron. Currently have the 900 tours and love them, so it was hard to get me out of Mizzys. I liked the ZX7s but I didn't like the lofts and I prefer the smaller profile of Mizunos. The other irons I looked into were the copper irons from Cobra. Probably a combo of the cavity back and the RF blade. I don't think it would've been worth it to spend another $1,000 for the full copper finish on the blade versus PVD Copper finish lol. 

I'll check out Bear Creek. I'm hoping for outdoors with Pro Vs. Titleist goes around town and will fit you for free on a trackman with Pro Vs. They're at Walnut Creek weekly, if I'm not mistaken. It would be good to test out other stuff too besides Titleist. Only other option I've found is Gott Golf. 

I never try to rip a business as a business owner myself BUT....F*** Gott Golf.  😀

I know they are highly rated fitter and could be true make sure you check that Gott Golf really has Titleist....!!! When I was looking for a Titleist fitter (TS3) they listed Titleist on the website.  I call and they said yes we do.  I show up for the fitting and it was with Brian himself.

Get in the bay and they DID NOT have Titleist at all, none.  Brian pushed the crap out of Callaway which I was already playing and was not happy with.    Needless to say I was p*ssed after 20 mins or so.  So I took out some cash, set it on the table and just walked out of the fitting.  He never once called to ask why.....

I called Titleist I was so p*ssed and they said he is NOT a registered fitter for them or even knew he was listing them.   Roughly two or three months  later I was told he removed Titlliest from his website.  I found Bear Creek from Titleist.  

Brian may be good but I would never recommend him to anyone but that is me.

Friend uses D'Lance and swears by them. I have not tried them but I know they push custom builds like Club Champion.

anyone know of a better shoulder person than this guy? https://www.tomnoonanmd.com/thomas-noonan-md-orthopedic-sports-medicine-englewood-co.html

i tweaked my right shoulder today and am getting it looked at on friday. keen to know if any of you have other recommendations in case i want/need a second opinion. hope to god i didn't just torpedo my season before it even started 🙏🙏🙏

Hope your good man.  I just had my elbow cleaned out end of last summer. 

I used https://www.western-ortho.com/ .   Really impressed with the doc I had.

I used Hawkins Steadman years back for ACL and Cracked elbow (long story) and they were awesome but I know they are now tied to CU Medicine. IE: Not a private practice like prior

*Years back when iHA was a private practice it iwas mpossible to get into  My ex borther was the trainer for Seattle Mariners.  He called and they got me in the next day.  Somehow they thought I played for Mariners since he called LOL

• Thanks 1