Purchasing the G425 irons

theorangeman

I've been playing with the G710s for close to 2 months now.  I'm not completely sold on them and was thinking the G410s might be a better fit for me.  Then I saw that the 425s are being released and I like what I've read and seen so far.  I was planning on going to Golf Galaxy this past weekend to hit them but couldn't make it.  Also, hitting off turf just doesn't do a whole lot for me.  I need to see how they perform on the course and from the conditions that I play on every day.

That brings me to my question.  As a new member of golfwrx, can you recommend a Ping retailer that allows for returns?  I doubt I will want to return these but it would be great to have that option in case I find that I actually prefer my current set of G710s.  I got these clubs from golfgalaxy which does not allow for returns once you hit the clubs.  I'm wondering if any store has a return policy that would allow a return of a slightly used club, say in a 30 day window?  

Yes, the PGA Superstore and TGW do allow for returns but only give you store credit.  In the case where I'm trying to decide on a current set versus a new one, that doesn't help.  Don't get me wrong, I think they're quite fair policies but just not what I was hoping.  What I'll probably end up doing is just purchasing the set and whatever one doesn't end up in my bag goes for sale.  I'll just take a greater hit financially but worth it in the end.

OP, just curious as to what isn't sitting quite right about the G710s with you? I am considering them for my next set of irons

TM Sim Max, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S

Ping G 3 Wood, Alta CB

Ping G 4 Hybrid, Alta CB

Ping i210 5-UW, AWT 2.0

Cleveland RTX4 52 mid, 56 mid, 60 low, Dynamic Gold S400

Ping Sigma putter

38 minutes ago, AdamsAT said:

OP, just curious as to what isn't sitting quite right about the G710s with you? I am considering them for my next set of irons

I bought the 700's when they first came out, during the fitting they felt good, then I got my set, "something" felt different, I have to slow my swing to to an almost uncomfortable level to hit a decent shot. This may sound weird but I CANT FEEL THE CLUBHEAD, it is like swinging a dowel. Yes, I think I got a bad fitting and should have returned to seller to have them adjusted or something.

It is so bad, I swing my wife's G-LE's which are aqua color painted G400's and the difference is HUGE! I can feel were the clubhead is at all times, think they ordered or I got too light of a shaft or wrong flex.

Seriously thinking of going to the 425's. Maybe take a trip to the PGA Superstore to compare.

• Thanks 1

I was ready to comment about the ugly G425 ferrules based on photos posted here previously (Japan model 425,) but a quick trip over to the USA Ping site shows they went with BLACK!  Any color you want as long as it's black!  Love it!

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Pre ordered mine. They look great, finally reduced the size from what they used to be. I loved the IE1 and these look similar. Worth a shot but not going to have that forged or quasi forged feel any longer. I will take that trade off to hit a few more greens. 

Titleist TSR2 Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Mizuno Max Hybrid 22

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

22 hours ago, AdamsAT said:

To be fair, I'm not hitting the ball very well right now so in the end, it's on me.  Therefore, take this for what it is... when switching to the G710s from my TM M2's, I immediately liked the irons on my first trip to the range.  However, since then, I just can't seem to get that experience again.

There is just something about the feel of these clubs that aren't working for me (at least right now).  They have a hollow, clicky sound when hitting them which wouldn't be so bad I guess if the results were better.  

When addressing the ball, I really like how the club actually looks slim due to the black face.  However, they also appear so wide to me at address which I don't like .  The G425's are a bit more compact which might work better for me and is why I want to give them a try.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2021 at 9:58 AM, sofla said:

Pre ordered mine. They look great, finally reduced the size from what they used to be. I loved the IE1 and these look similar. Worth a shot but not going to have that forged or quasi forged feel any longer. I will take that trade off to hit a few more greens. 

Ping said the 410 was smaller than the predecessors, but it was only about 2mm heel to toe in the short irons and none in the longer clubs.  I'd love to take some measurements on these new 425's.

Edited by Nessism

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

On 1/19/2021 at 9:58 AM, sofla said:

If you don’t mind me asking, who did you pre-order from? I’m thinking of doing the same but don’t know who to go with. 

Well, 2 stiff drinks later (actually 4), I ordered my G425 set from PGA Superstore.  I wish they had a set 6 iron and up.  That just means I'll have to sell my 5 iron.  I'm excited about trying this set, I got irons all the way to SW, so should be fun.

Edited by theorangeman
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, theorangeman said:

Well, 2 stiff drinks later (actually 4), I ordered my G425 set from PGA Superstore.  I wish they had a set 6 iron and up.  That just means I'll have to sell my 5 iron.  I'm excited about trying this set, I got irons all the way to SW, so should be fun.

You can order whatever irons you want from Ping. Same price buying per iron as buying full set. 

11 hours ago, sharkiesj said:

If you don’t mind me asking, who did you pre-order from? I’m thinking of doing the same but don’t know who to go with. 

Discount Dan's due to recommendations from this site. 

Titleist TSR2 Tour AD DI

Mizuno Max Hybrid 22

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60

51 minutes ago, mooseman76 said:

You can order whatever irons you want from Ping. Same price buying per iron as buying full set. 

I just ordered 6-gw in power spec. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 Tour AD DI

Mizuno Max Hybrid 22

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60

12 hours ago, Nessism said:

Ping said the 410 was smaller than the predecessors, but it was only about 2mm heel to toe in the short irons and none in the longer clubs.  I'd love to take some measurements on these new 425's.

I feel like Ping's size reduction claims on their G series are like driver distance claims from the 2005-2010 range. 

The G series should be invisible by now. 

I haven't seen the 425's in person yet , but i am assuming they are big

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

32 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I feel like Ping's size reduction claims on their G series are like driver distance claims from the 2005-2010 range. 

currently playing 2020 P770 and I was at a fitting yesterday for a G425 hybrid and 3 wood. Was chatting with one of the fellas as I was warming up who is on Pings staff and mentioned he just ordered G425. I said I heard they slimmed it down, let me hit it just for curiosity. So he hands me a 7 iron demo and a 7 iron of an i500 (which I still pull out from time to time when I want a stress free round).

My first comment was literally wow did they slim down the top line. At address it looked to have same length dimension as the i500 with the G425 having more toe height. I turned the clubs over and the soles appeared to be close to same width - up to where the G425 sole starts to bevel if that makes sense. Feel was good for what it was and ball speeds were high. Offset wasn’t bad visually. 

it’s not a club that interests me and I haven’t hit a G iron in a very long time because all I would see is massive offset and a massive sole. In G425 my impression was that it was an i200 (which I played for a year) with a thinner top line and more ball speed. I was impressed for what the club was designed to do and how it looks. 

remember though I just saw a 7. Even though I thought the top line was really slim for a GI.  if you don’t square the face at address and close it a bit you can definitely start to see the backside of the club. Given that these clubs usually progress in size as you get into longer irons, it’s possible that the 4 iron for example could have their backside shown at address. I dunno it’s just what I though when I was looking at the 7 at address. Hopefully I explained that right. 

48 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

They are a touch smaller (and I mean a TOUCH), the top line is shaved back to look smaller, but it's similar and slightly less offset.  But they are more forgiving than the G410.  I can't tell my son because I passed off mine to him!  LOL

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

3 minutes ago, tbowles411 said:

They are a touch smaller (and I mean a TOUCH), the top line is shaved back to look smaller, but it's similar and slightly less offset.  But they are more forgiving than the G410.  I can't tell my son because I passed off mine to him!  LOL

Nice thanks for the comments guys!

I'm not super interested in the G425's for full disclosure. I have the 410's

I'm definitely counting my rupees for the ZX5's though. 

Once i have those, i will have narrowed things down to only 4 sets of irons to choose from

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique