Bandon Trip March 9-13

Dsevans8

20 hours ago, duffer987 said:

10 - driver straight at it and if I turn it into a draw over left with a look all the better, but want to protect against going through the fairway on the left

14 - unless it is into the wind, try and drive the green, there is loads of room to miss and flare to the right and if I hit a good ball but end up in one of the two bunkers fronting the green so be it

Do you ever end up on the mounding down the right side of 14?

On 2/24/2021 at 8:51 AM, Dsevans8 said:

Do you ever end up on the mounding down the right side of 14?

I've been in the scruffy stuff yes. I'm essentially trying to do this (all things being equal of course). And ya if I don't get all of it, I can end up in the bit I circled. Then it's just a take your chances with the lie punch wedge. Obviously Google maps is pre-new bunker, but it's not come into play for me in the couple rounds I've played since it was added.

image.png.cdbcad434a243419f7330963b8dcf4be.png

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

On 2/25/2021 at 7:46 PM, duffer987 said:

I've been in the scruffy stuff yes. I'm essentially trying to do this (all things being equal of course). And ya if I don't get all of it, I can end up in the bit I circled. Then it's just a take your chances with the lie punch wedge. Obviously Google maps is pre-new bunker, but it's not come into play for me in the couple rounds I've played since it was added.

image.png.cdbcad434a243419f7330963b8dcf4be.png

Where is the new bunker at?

^It's a big blowout bunker that takes the place of that small greenside bunker. TBH after playing it post change, IMHO it's more for show, as the whole front of the green is still open.

• Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Ok so last week before its time to go... I have a lot to get done so I am hoping that this week goes by pretty quickly. Got the email already that they will continue to have no indoor dinning or other activities, and a limited number of outdoor dinning options. A little disappointing, but these are the times I guess. For those who have been during COVID, is there anything additional I should be ready for or aware of? Also is there something that is a must have or a place that is a must eat off property? We have 16 guys so sitting down to dinner would be nice to do on at least a few of the nights.

Coos county is still in the Extreme Risk category, so doubtful you'd find anywhere that 16 guys can sit down together inside.  Your best bet is probably to order a bunch of pizzas and hope for a warm/dry enough evening to find a place outside.  There's no must-have restaurants in town, IMO.  Bandon is a tiny little fishing town.  Here's a news article on the risk level by county and what that means.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/oregon-counties-improve-covid-risk-levels/283-518d8a11-44dc-4761-a734-eb295cc2d978

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

As we left on Saturday, they had just set up the outside tents for dining on the patio in front of The Puffin and Gallery.  I don't know if this was temporary or for a special event, but it definitely got our hopes up that they were at least going to allow more places to sit.

At each course, there were two or three four tops on the patios that we/people were eating at.  I don't know if they'd try to stop larger groups from gathering, but as long as you were respectful of those around, I can't imagine it being an issue.

Also, there were large groups of 8-12 playing at the Punchbowl, without any indication that it was frowned upon.

At Lily Pond, someone had a bbq setup, which I know isn't technically allowed, but no one stopped him/his group.  I think you could bring camping chairs and set up shop anywhere as long as you didn't crowd any common areas.

Anyhoo, just some observations.  Think you'll have to be flexible with expectations and what you're willing to sacrifice comfort wise.

Blah blah blah.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Just as long as no one starts a fire or contributes to a county health violation before we've had our golf and gotten the heck out of there 😉

F.T.

Great thread! 

Finally making my first trip there at the end of May (coming from the Sac area as well!) 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* // LA Golf DJ Series 65 (5)
TM Stealth Plus 13.5* // Ventus Black 6x
Callaway Uwood 19* // Ventus Blue 7s
4i - Callaway Rogue ST Pro // Mitsubishi MMT 105tx

5i-PW - NCW // Mitsubishi MMT 105tx
Vokey SM8 52.12F S300
Vokey SM8 56.14F S200
Vokey SM8 60.14K S200
Odyssey 2 ball ten
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

59 minutes ago, Dsevans8 said:

Which part of Sacramento?

Folsom, you?

Vokey SM8 52.12F S300
Vokey SM8 56.14F S200
Vokey SM8 60.14K S200
Odyssey 2 ball ten

@Dsevans8How was it??

Vokey SM8 52.12F S300
Vokey SM8 56.14F S200
Vokey SM8 60.14K S200
Odyssey 2 ball ten

23 hours ago, Dsevans8 said:

Ok guys just got back yesterday from our trip, as always the experience at Bandon was unbelievable! I will do a more in depth course review here shortly. If you have any specific questions I can answer fire away, always more than happy to help you out.

Looking forward to your review. I'm heading there this weekend. Any dining tips/recommendations given the current situation? Did you head into town at all?

Also, I'm flying with my clubs for the first time in a while, specifically on Southwest. Their website states you can pack balls, shoes and clubs. Anyone ever have issues packing rain gear in the bag as well? I'm sure this is a case by case situation but curious what the general consensus is. Thanks!

Ok guys I want to start posting my review on my latest trip to Bandon. Not sure if I will post the whole thing in one take, maybe do a couple days with each post. I realized that most of my pictures were actually videos, sorry if I didn't take enough of them. All the same let me get to it. I'm going to try to be honest in my evaluation of the courses, and the things that I liked and the things that I didn't care for as much. Also I'm going to try and give an update on the way things are currently being run on the resort. With that being said, lets dive in:

Tuesday March 9th- This was our travel day with Bandon Preserve scheduled in the afternoon at 3:330PM. We left from just north of Sacramento around 530am and made our way up I5. We got a lot of snow as we crossed the pass making our way between California and Oregon. Besides that one stretch of snow, we had pretty clear skies our whole trip. We made a pit stop in Medford to gas up and head over to the Dicks Sporting goods for some socks and other small supplies. Back in the truck and we headed on and got to Bandon at about 130pm. We decided to eat in town, and chose the Bandon Fish Market. I highly recommend this place, food was excellent and hot. It started to rain on us as we ate, and the weather was not looking too promising for our round at the Preserve. We made our way over to the resort after lunch and decided to kill some time at the practice area until we were up at Preserve. The wind was whipping pretty good, and the rain/hail started coming down on us. Threw on the rain gear and rain gloves and kept practicing. Weather didn't really let up much, but we were playing the preserve no matter what. I've never played the preserve in all my times at Bandon. I guess I always felt that If I was going to play I wanted to play one of the big courses, even though preserve looked beautiful. We started our round in the rain and it probably let up after around the 3rd hole, giving way to some beautiful views off the ocean. I didn't take any pictures at preserve as it was raining and I had my phone stashed away in my bag. The course was awesome, great condition, and very fun. The experience seemed to go by way too quickly though. We played in 1.5 hours and it felt like we were left wanting more golf. Highlight for me was a 2 putt birdie on the last hole. My honest thought on preserve.... you have to accept it for what it is. It was the perfect addition to a travel day, but it's not necessarily cheap. Fun to shake off the rust and get ready for a lot of golf ahead, but you probably won't be talking about it much on the trip. I'm glad that I took the time to finally play it, but probably won't go out of my way to play it again.

20210309_081735.jpg

20210309_131432.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, srs06d said:

Looking forward to your review. I'm heading there this weekend. Any dining tips/recommendations given the current situation? Did you head into town at all?

Also, I'm flying with my clubs for the first time in a while, specifically on Southwest. Their website states you can pack balls, shoes and clubs. Anyone ever have issues packing rain gear in the bag as well? I'm sure this is a case by case situation but curious what the general consensus is. Thanks!

I've flown Southwest loads of times with my clubs. You can put anything that meets the weight requirement in your bag. Rain Gear should not be an issue at all. As far as dinning goes the resort has really done a great job in streamlining getting your food. The provide you with a QR code to access the menus and and place your order ahead. I always placed lunch orders on the 18th tee box at the corresponding restaurant for our next round. Worked out nicely as the food was ready when I got there and I didn't have to wait. They have some tents set up at the Gallery with heaters if you want to eat in those, and the normal spots around the fire at McKees and Trails End. We ate up on the patio at Pacific a few times also. Also went to Bandon Brewing Company for dinner one night, and had dinner delivered to our room from the Gallery and McKees (took about an hour). Things are running very smooth, as is normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jmckito said:

Looking forward to post trip readout and any comments on course conditions. Thanks. 

I'm going to say that these were the best I have ever seen the greens while at Bandon. Trails had the best greens, followed by Pac, then Bandon, then Old Mac, and Sheep way behind in last place. I know trails held a college tournament the weekend before we got there so maybe that was part of it but they were firm and rolled perfect. Pacific was also very nice roll, but not overly fast. Bandon was very solid and had no issues there. Old Mac has fescue greens so they are much different than the others, probably slower and a touch bumpy but nothing unplayable. Sheep has new fescue greens that have not grown in and matured and are very firm. This makes them inconsistent and susceptible to wind and into and down grain putts.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dsevans8 said:

Guys feel free to ask any questions, I will probably get a new review up tomorrow morning for our rounds at Pacific and Sheep Ranch (afternoon).

No questions here other than "why couldn't it have been me on that trip?" 😅

Keep up the review! Great pictures and info so far - always enjoy living vicariously through a trip report.

Just now, Lefty_89 said:

No questions here other than "why couldn't it have been me on that trip?" 😅

Keep up the review! Great pictures and info so far - always enjoy living vicariously through a trip report.

Yeah I feel you buddy. We probably had the best weather that I've ever had on any Bandon Trip. Didn't event think about rain gear at anytime other than our arrival day. Accuweather was pretty spot on for what we got during our trip. Course conditions were perfect, atmosphere was excellent even with the Covid restrictions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dsevans8 said:

Guys feel free to ask any questions, I will probably get a new review up tomorrow morning for our rounds at Pacific and Sheep Ranch (afternoon).

debating dropping my second round @ sheep ranch in favor of a second round on pac dunes.

tough decision.  already have 2 booked on trails and bandon.

The conditions is what’s got me concerned about ranch. 

Edited by jmckito

Leaving next Sunday! 

3/29: Bandon Preserve

3/30: Pacific Dunes and Bandon Dunes

3/31: Old Macdonald and Bandon Trails

4/1: Sheep Ranch and Pacific Dunes

4/2: Depart for Eugene Airport

In another thread, someone called out that OM and BT together were a rookie mistake. Already booked, but curious if you have a knee jerk thought on that. 

Great write up. Hoping for great weather. How cold were your morning rounds. I'm a Florida native and live in GA now. Not adverse to cold weather, but wondering if its just cold... or one of those "biting" colds. 

Did you take caddies? If so, how were they? We have that lined up for every round. 

Also... any issue buying adult beverages off property and keeping them in the rooms? I assume there are fridges, right? Wish we could just hang at the bar, but you know... Covid... 

Any other tips you can think of? Can't wait! 

Thanks! 

Edited by codylowrygolf