2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

PXG Putter Feedback

jonskelly91

I just ordered the BlackJack with double bend and Flatso grip.  Rolled the One and Done and Operator as well.  For me, the look of the BlackJack at address was great and rolled the ball nicely.  Ordered with the standard weights which felt just right. (I'm coming from a blade and have more of a straight back, straight through stroke.) Can hardly wait to put it in the bag.

2 hours ago, PVCC said:

I just ordered the BlackJack with double bend and Flatso grip.  Rolled the One and Done and Operator as well.  For me, the look of the BlackJack at address was great and rolled the ball nicely.  Ordered with the standard weights which felt just right. (I'm coming from a blade and have more of a straight back, straight through stroke.) Can hardly wait to put it in the bag.

The blackjack is as stable a putter as you'll find in a comparable size. 

My operator is in Texas and will be here Tuesday or Wednesday. It's going in the bag blind for a tournament next weekend. 

I have had a number of Odyssey, Scotty, Ping and other putters.  In the last 2 years I have gone from spider to Odyssey 10 to PXG Gen 2 operator.  

The Odyssey felt like an upgrade on the spider to me (paint quality issues on the spider) in terms of build quality.  

Then a friend bought the PXG and after seeing it and getting his feedback two weeks later I ordered one.  For me it is another step up in build quality and finish.  Being able to fine tune it with the custom options is the icing on the cake.  I have never been happier with a putter (in another thread I am debating whether I should change it as I have now gone left hand low but that it NOTHING) to do with whether I like the putter.

At the current pricing I think it is very hard to beat.  If you can do a proper fitting for it as well then that is even better.

Titleist TSi1 10 degree driver 

TM Stealth 4 and 7 woods
M6 hybrid
PXG 0211 irons (5 to G)
Vokey 54 D grind 58 D grind
Scotty Newport 2.5 Special Select

TM Tour Response balls

H2NO stand bag

Is the Mustang or Spitfire closest to the Ping B60?

also can I assume the Operator is the spider ‘ Odyssey 10 equivalent?  How different is the Blackjack feel with the weight more behind the ball vs Operator?  What I like in previous Spider models was the feeling of weight to outside and back, ala the Operator. 

Thank you in advance. 

17 minutes ago, blazman11 said:

Is the Mustang or Spitfire closest to the Ping B60?

also can I assume the Operator is the spider ‘ Odyssey 10 equivalent?  How different is the Blackjack feel with the weight more behind the ball vs Operator?  What I like in previous Spider models was the feeling of weight to outside and back, ala the Operator. 

Thank you in advance. 

The operator is definitely the pxg spider tour. The face is firmer than the spider tour. I lived everything about the spider tour but the insert. Operator is every bit as good from a balance and forgiveness perspective but with a touch more ballspeed off the milled face. 

The blackjack feels not as balanced as the operator. With the operator you can't really feel where weight it. It's just so balanced. With the blackjack, you can tell there's a ton of mass back. The operator is much more stable because of the weight on the back edges. The. Blackjack, while stable, has a very distinct feel of where the weight is. Can't quite describe it but you know the weight is there. 

I thought the operator would be huge compared to the blackjack...it isn't. They are very similar in overall footprint.

Edited by getitdaily

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

The operator is definitely the pxg spider tour. The face is firmer than the spider tour. I lived everything about the spider tour but the insert. Operator is every bit as good from a balance and forgiveness perspective but with a touch more ballspeed off the milled face. 

The blackjack feels not as balanced as the operator. With the operator you can't really feel where weight it. It's just so balanced. With the blackjack, you can tell there's a ton of mass back. The operator is much more stable because of the weight on the back edges. The. Blackjack, while stable, has a very distinct feel of where the weight is. Can't quite describe it but you know the weight is there. 

I thought the operator would be huge compared to the blackjack...it isn't. They are very similar in overall footprint.

Awesome thank you!  Your post summarized what I thought would be the case just eyeballing the pics posted in this thread previously. The operator looks like it’s exactly what I want as a Spider / Odyssey 10 alternative. but I also like the looks of Mustang and Spitfire. 

hey one last question....I see PXG is offering weight kits. Is 1 weight kit universal amongst the entire lineup or are they putter specific?  I’m a huge putter w*0re but have never contemplated PXG putters until now. 

6 minutes ago, blazman11 said:

Awesome thank you!  Your post summarized what I thought would be the case just eyeballing the pics posted in this thread previously. The operator looks like it’s exactly what I want as a Spider / Odyssey 10 alternative. but I also like the looks of Mustang and Spitfire. 

hey one last question....I see PXG is offering weight kits. Is 1 weight kit universal amongst the entire lineup or are they putter specific?  I’m a huge putter w*0re but have never contemplated PXG putters until now. 

The weights are universal across all gen2 and battle ready putters.

Will do. As a lefty, I’m immediately a fan of any company who makes all their putters in LH. I currently own the following putters (and there are countless others I’ve moved on from):

2020 Scotty Newport

Ping Vault 2 B60

Ping Vault 2 ZB

Ping Vault 2 Japan Piper C

Ping Prime Tyne

Ping Heppler Tomcat

Scotty X5

Betti Queen B

just last week an Odyssey 10 off CPO

every year I fall for an Odyssey. I thought the 10 would change it but I’m just not a fan of stroke lab. The only putters I’m not going to sell off are the Scotty Newport and Ping B60. I’ve been wanting to thin the herd for awhile and wanted to keep 1 blade, 1 mallet and 1 mid mallet. I’ll compromise and keep 2 blades (Mustang and Scotty) as I know I’ll get a wild hair up my butt to play a Scotty again at some point in time. 

Cant believe I have never looked at PXG before today for putters. I’ve owned PXG for every slot in the bag since COVID hit and I occasionally check their site for massive price drops. Guess I just assumed their putter prices were still crazy high. 

Wish I would have looked at them weeks ago before spending $190 on a like new Odyssey 10. The amount of weight customization in the Operator and a milled face is exactly what I wanted. And for a starting price that is basically $50 more than a shop worn, like new Odyssey. 

9 minutes ago, blazman11 said:

Will do. As a lefty, I’m immediately a fan of any company who makes all their putters in LH. I currently own the following putters (and there are countless others I’ve moved on from):

2020 Scotty Newport

Ping Vault 2 B60

Ping Vault 2 ZB

Ping Vault 2 Japan Piper C

Ping Prime Tyne

Ping Heppler Tomcat

Scotty X5

Betti Queen B

just last week an Odyssey 10 off CPO

every year I fall for an Odyssey. I thought the 10 would change it but I’m just not a fan of stroke lab. The only putters I’m not going to sell off are the Scotty Newport and Ping B60. I’ve been wanting to thin the herd for awhile and wanted to keep 1 blade, 1 mallet and 1 mid mallet. I’ll compromise and keep 2 blades (Mustang and Scotty) as I know I’ll get a wild hair up my butt to play a Scotty again at some point in time. 

Cant believe I have never looked at PXG before today for putters. I’ve owned PXG for every slot in the bag since COVID hit and I occasionally check their site for massive price drops. Guess I just assumed their putter prices were still crazy high. 

Wish I would have looked at them weeks ago before spending $190 on a like new Odyssey 10. The amount of weight customization in the Operator and a milled face is exactly what I wanted. And for a starting price that is basically $50 more than a shop worn, like new Odyssey. 

I hear you on the operator. I noted a couple of times in threads that I would be super happy with a spider tour with a milled face. Just didn't really explore the operator because of price...until pxg made the putters competitive on price.

Now I just need them to fix the hosel they bent when they built it.

I have really wanted to roll the Bat Attack but I was fit into the Mini Gunboat last year and have never putter better.  I am often lured away by the latest Scotty Newport or most recently the Spider X.  Nothing will knock the distance control and short putts are a breeze.  This thing is not going anywhere.  I thought it was PXG itself and bought the Blackjack a few months ago because I thought the look was better from what I saw online and returned it as I could not control it nearly as well as the mini gunboat.  That putter just works for me as I am averaging less than 29 putts a round, a first ever for me.  I hope I stop looking for something else because my scores are really good at the moment but that will require me to stop visiting the putter section of the forums.  LOL

17 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I have a "fitting" tomorrow. It's really just to have pxg look at the bend in the hosel on my operator. But I figure I'll go ahead a roll a few other putters; bat attack, gunboat, spitfire

Any requests for side by side pics of anything?

Like to see the new BA next to the O&D. Thanks. 

Enjoy the fitting. 

• Like 1

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

Like to see the new BA next to the O&D. Thanks. 

Enjoy the fitting. 

They still didn't have the new bat attack.

Rolled the gunboat, mini gunboat, spitfire, and the new mustang...along with my operator. 

Other than my operator, the star of the show was the new mustang. Very stable through the stroke. If they drop the prices on those again then I'll buy one just to have a blade to toy with here and there.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

They still didn't have the new bat attack.

Rolled the gunboat, mini gunboat, spitfire, and the new mustang...along with my operator. 

Other than my operator, the star of the show was the new mustang. Very stable through the stroke. If they drop the prices on those again then I'll buy one just to have a blade to toy with here and there.

What was your opinion on the Gunboat? 

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

18 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

What was your opinion on the Gunboat? 

A bit clunky looking but stable. Felt very similarly balanced as the operator does. Prefer the operator look but I also used the spider tour for 2 years and like more square looking putters. 

The mini rolled it better. But the mini wasn't as stable as the reg gunboat. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

I actually chose Gen2 Mustang over the mini gun boat because I wanted a smaller profile. I also have the Gen1 center shafted Mustang. They're all very good putters. The Mustangs always on alert if the O&D ever decideds to act up. #NeverMyFault

I didn't putt the gen2 mustang, only the battle ready one. It was very stable. 

• 2 weeks later...

E275D914-FF68-4265-9650-0E3870AE5D0F.jpeg.4eb85d98a5ba0c0567bf86dd3ef04e07.jpeg

Received my order yesterday:

• Operator, 33”, double bend, all black with large Lamkin grip
  • Mustang, 33”, slant neck, chrome with small Lamkin grip (loose in box)

what was disappointing is the Mustang has a black slant neck with chrome head and chrome shaft.  Called PXG yesterday and apparently all they have are black hosels. Which would’ve been nice to know when I ordered. The lady I spoke with on the phone when I placed my order either didn’t know it or didn’t volunteer it. 

I could send it back within 30 days to get a black shaft installed which would look much better. If I do, the cost would be approximately:

$25 for shaft + $25 for new grip (I didn’t ask if I could forego having a grip installed) + return shipping. PXG will not charge anything to ship it back to me within the 30 day window. 

other than that both putters were quite impressive on the practice green. Along with my putters I ordered the weight kit. I swapped the 10g weights on the back of Operator with 15 and replaced the middle back 5g with a 10g weight. I did not touch the weights on the Mustang as I didn’t think it needed it. 

I really enjoyed the Operator. Weight and balance is perfect. As is the feel off the putter head. It’s basically exactly what I wanted......A milled spider clone. 

The Mustang I’ll have to play around with more. The toe hang is massive and while I like generous toe hang on blades, this style seems to really exacerbate the gate effect. I put on a Pure midsize grip +6 wraps and I don’t like the grip for this putter. I’m a little handsy when I see that face open on backswing and I want to manipulate the face. I’ll have to experiment with grips and may/be put a slightly heavier weight in the toe. 

2 hours ago, blazman11 said:

what was disappointing is the Mustang has a black slant neck with chrome head and chrome shaft.  Called PXG yesterday and apparently all they have are black hosels. Which would’ve been nice to know when I ordered. The lady I spoke with on the phone when I placed my order either didn’t know it or didn’t volunteer it. 

I could send it back within 30 days to get a black shaft installed which would look much better. If I do, the cost would be approximately:

$25 for shaft + $25 for new grip (I didn’t ask if I could forego having a grip installed) + return shipping. PXG will not charge anything to ship it back to me within the 30 day window. 

other than that both putters were quite impressive on the practice green. Along with my putters I ordered the weight kit. I swapped the 10g weights on the back of Operator with 15 and replaced the middle back 5g with a 10g weight. I did not touch the weights on the Mustang as I didn’t think it needed it. 

I really enjoyed the Operator. Weight and balance is perfect. As is the feel off the putter head. It’s basically exactly what I wanted......A milled spider clone. 

The Mustang I’ll have to play around with more. The toe hang is massive and while I like generous toe hang on blades, this style seems to really exacerbate the gate effect. I put on a Pure midsize grip +6 wraps and I don’t like the grip for this putter. I’m a little handsy when I see that face open on backswing and I want to manipulate the face. I’ll have to experiment with grips and may/be put a slightly heavier weight in the toe. 

Dude, we're like brothers or something...

20210322_150202.jpg.0f925dff449b31c8b58c8c2858ce8cd5.jpg

2 hours ago, blazman11 said:

I thought the camo ss pistol gt 1.0 was a perfect combo for a pxg putter. Slapped them on both. I can't putt with that big lamkin...too heavy. I have a 5g weight in the back center of the operator and the other ports have no weights in them.  355g, my sweet spot. 

In the mustang I'm toying around with 360g headweight with 25g countercore weight and 350g headweight with no countercore. Haven't putted the mustang on a green yet, just my birdie ball green.

I agree on the operator though. Excellent balance. Super stable. Milled spider tour is exactly what o was after too. It will be hard to beat.

20210325_123530.jpg

Hahahaha nice putters except you putt from the wrong side!  So before my round today I took off the heavy Lamkin grip on the Operator and put a SS Flatso 2.0,on. Mostly as I really want to love that grip since it’s corded and I’ve always liked a Flatso on a face balanced putter.  Anyways I hated it. Completely changed the weight and balance and I just could not get a feel for anything. 

I’m gonna throw the heavy Lamkin back on. I normally despise any grip over 70g but I had this putter dialed in with the weighting and feel to where the putter just swang itself. Shame I changed my mind before the virgin round. At least I made the mistake now, I mean I was going to do it eventually and I’d rather have it happen up front. 

oddly enough I had the opposite experience with the Mustang. I still don’t like the Pure midsize on it but I putted much better with that compared to the Operator with the Flatso. Mustang has great speed control and was just fun to put with. I’m probably going to throw on a SS Pistol2.0 on the Mustang. Actually. I’m going to have my local shop order/install a black shaft first. The black hosel really really really annoys me even if I can’t see it when putting. I know it’s there.

I bought 2 weight kits and I barely needed 1.  I really like the stock weight of the Mustang. And the Operator out of the box with the heavy Lamkin felt pretty good to me. I increased head weight by only 15g. I thought for sure with that heavy of a grip I would have to add 30-40g to the head but that wasn’t the case.